Nostalgia gaming: SWAT 3

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Nostalgia gaming: SWAT 3

Post by Kasey Chang »

No, I wasn't inspired by the movie (the truth is, I haven't seen the movie yet). However, I purchased SWAT3 (Elite Edition) a while back and I never had a chance to give it a try. So I did.

This game is pretty darn impressive for how old it is. The AI characters actually do pay attention and clear rooms based on proper tactics. I pretty much just give orders and that's it.

The mission at Water Treatment Plant really got me riled though. One bad guy took out 3 of my 4 team members when they were surprised by this one guy around a corner. Fortunately none died, but all three sustained serious injuries to put them out of action for at least a mission.

I had no problems with hostage situations though. I got the bank mission and the church mission down with no injuries to hostages and all bad guys down or arrested.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

I still play Swat 3 regularly. The missions never work out the same way twice due to nice randomized elements (hostage placement, enemy placement, enemy temperment). It also has the best AI I've seen in any tactical shooter. If you like the game, head over to 10-David, the best Swat fan site around. I love Swat 3, and I cannot WAIT for Swat 4.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

The game rocked. Great graphics, great AI, great levels and great fun. And let us not forget that all the new multiplayer elements and new maps that were created over the years were made available for free to original owners of the game!

Everything about that game had the golden touch it seemed. Definately third time the charm when you consider the stinkers that the first two SWAT games were.
tiny ogre

Post by tiny ogre »

The AI Programmer on that game is a friend of mine, we worked on Close Combat together.

And yeah, he did a bang up job :)
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I just ordered this (Tactical Game of the Year Edition--apparently the one to get?) a few days ago. I hadn't bought it before because there were so damn many editions of it that I didn't know which was the best one.

I was reminded when I was reading about it (Swat 3) in the Swat 4 preview in Computer Games magazine. From what I read, it sounded like a game I would really like, so now it's finally on the way.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Itsatrap

Post by Itsatrap »

This should be required reading:
http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/767.html

- Alan
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Murray's stuff is pretty funny. Hehe.

I remember the first time I played Phoenix Club mission, I got nailed by that b****. She just walked straight out, no running. I'm like where did she come from? Comply! Hands up! Then she nails me with the peashooter. I got so mad I emptied the entire magazine of FMJ into her. :D

I'm now kinda stuck on the Russian President mission. I tried going from bottom up (even though SWAT manual says it's better to go from top down). I was doing okay, got the entire bottom floor cleared. Was taking out one or two bad guys at a time... They're coming down the stairwell... Then I see a civilian (typical, woman in lingerie... Behind her is a terrorist! I tried to hit the terrorist, the shot hits her instead, killing her, and ruined the mission.

Next time I tried from roof going down. Cleared the stairwell okay, then got stuck on the corridor. Secured the hostage, but got nailed in the corridor with 2 bad guys. Apparently my grenade throwing ain't good enough. I tossed a flash-bang, went straight in after its detonation, firing on full auto...And died before I killed the first bad guy I see. :P

I think I'll try to bottom approach again.
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

Oh, I loved that game.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

I need to find a cheap copy of it around somewhere, always loved the demo for that game but never actually bought it :roll:
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Argh! Right now I'm having my arse kicked in the sewer level. I can locate 3 or 4 of them, then either I get killed or I made a mistake and used a breaching charge when there's gas around. :D That is embarrasing.

I think I need to try entering via the OTHER entrance... And I'm using lightsticks like crazy as I explore each nook and cranny of the sewer... I can't imagine they leave this whole sewer to explore for just 4 guys... :P
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I went ahead and downloaded the map. :D

Just found that yes, Tactical Game of the Year Edition is indeed the latest and greatest. It has an "advanced tactics" CD as a bonus with actual footage from the LAPD training center, along with the bonus material.

So just that I understand all this correctly... Even if I have an older verison of the game, I can use all these advanced missions, even the 2-element game?
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

Very much looking forward to some OO SWAT4 goodness.... :lol:
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Rhett wrote:I need to find a cheap copy of it around somewhere, always loved the demo for that game but never actually bought it :roll:
I got mine (Tactical Game of the Year Edition) for $11 through an Amazon seller, new and still shrinkwrapped. About half that for used in just the jewel case. When I checked, they had about 4 sellers who each had a new boxed copy of TGotY edition.

I never did check at eBay, since I thought eleven bucks was pretty damn reasonable, though I'm sure Ebay would have some listed as well.

'Course I don't actually *have* it yet, but should in a few days.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just finished the final convention center mission... It wasn't that hard, strangely. Just tedious. Didn't even lose an officer until the very end when one of hostages opened a door I was just about to breach with a flashbang. Needless to say, everybody started shooting...

Was trying the ELITE missions and oh, boy, did I had my *** handed to me. The Subway mission is a nightmare. Passages everywhere, baddies hiding around every fucking corner. I was about 90% complete, saved most of the dignitaries, and when I saw this bad guy in a jumpsuit just around the corner. I backed around the corner, telling him to surrender, and he killed me with ONE SHOT THROUGH the wall?!?! It's like WTF?!?!?!

The airport mission is a nasty one too, with a strict time limit.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Kasey Chang wrote:Just finished the final convention center mission... It wasn't that hard, strangely. Just tedious. Didn't even lose an officer until the very end when one of hostages opened a door I was just about to breach with a flashbang. Needless to say, everybody started shooting...

Was trying the ELITE missions and oh, boy, did I had my *** handed to me. The Subway mission is a nightmare. Passages everywhere, baddies hiding around every fucking corner. I was about 90% complete, saved most of the dignitaries, and when I saw this bad guy in a jumpsuit just around the corner. I backed around the corner, telling him to surrender, and he killed me with ONE SHOT THROUGH the wall?!?! It's like WTF?!?!?!

The airport mission is a nasty one too, with a strict time limit.
Hehehe, yup, that kind of tension is that keeps me coming back to this game over and over.