No Mortyr 2 impressions?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

CeeKay

No Mortyr 2 impressions?

Post by CeeKay »

None? Nada? what ever happened to supporting the indie developer?

:P
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
none

Post by none »

i'm sure ImLawBoy will be by shortly. here, let me try something: Wheel of Time!
Tony

Post by Tony »

This game came out? Wow. I remember somebody talking about them making a new Mortyr game, but I completely forgot about it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I remember somebody talking about them making a new Mortyr game, but I completely forgot about it.
I played the demo, then tried to completely forget about it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

This game cannot actually exist, can it? The rumors cannot be true, can they?

I suppose out of some sort of morbid curiosity, I should get the demo and try it out.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

never fear, i'll take the bullet... i did buy the first one, even though it was all of $1.

downloading demo now...
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

The demo isn't as mind numbingly bad as the original. The voice acting is atrocious, and the game play is low rent Medal of Honor, but I never ran into some of the technical issues (e.g., major slowdowns and speedups) from the original. It's not good enough to warrant a purchase, but it's not going to scar me like the original.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

impressions: player control is much better. in the first Mortyr, it felt like you were ice-skating over everything, like in the original Wolfenstein 3D - here, you have weapon- and head-bob and all that. physics (ragdoll and otherwise), however, needs some work - enemies would slowly tumble and sometimes cartwheel around when shot, coming to rest in ridiculous poses. the demo level is mostly in the trenches, which means you have to keep crouched most of the time, which means progress is quite slow. why does every dead Nazi drop a +10 health pack? i played on 'Hard' difficulty and i did die a lot. enemy AI seems suspect (ie 'cheating'), as they would suddenly come at you from around corners (and why are so many standing around in trench cubbyholes?) when there's seemingly no way they'd be able to hear you sneaking up on them.

so, it's a bit better than 'meh', possibly 'ok' - a lot better than the first one, from first look - but who really needs another WWII-themed FPS? i know i don't.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ImLawBoy wrote:This game cannot actually exist, can it? The rumors cannot be true, can they?
the only reason i can suppose this sequel exists is to cash in on the whole "Honorary Duty Medal Call" genre. it does have blood, tho, unlike most of those games...and i did end up playing the demo for longer than i ever did the first one.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

ok, i finished the demo on 'hard' difficulty. the atmosphere in this game is done very well - down to the insects buzzing around in the grass, to battlefield smoke and thrown dirt. i was not crazy about the labyrinthesque trenches, the cheating AI and the questionable scripting (you're supposed to mark the hidden cannon for the Russians to bomb so you can make your escape. i couldn't figure out how to mark the cannon at first, so i took my time and killed all the Germans around me on the battlefield. even though i could now get to the exit easily with no interference, the game wouldn't let me out until i marked the cannon.)

so my above criticisms still stand, but it now seems like it's at least worth a look, if you're into that sort of thing.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Since I'm such a completeist, I'll have to get this for my collection...I suppose. But THIS time, I'm waiting for the price to drop. Even if it's good, I need to average out the cost of the two so I quit feeling so bad about the first one.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd