Wow: Professions/Tradeskills

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Mr. Fed

Wow: Professions/Tradeskills

Post by Mr. Fed »

So what kind of experiences are people having with professions/tradeskills in the released game? Any combinations that are working out particularly well for you?

I've got a mage, and was toying with the idea of herbalism/alchemy. But that seems somehow dull. I'm also thinking of tailoring/enchantment -- apparently you can make stuff with tailoring that you can then disenchant to get enchantment materials. But I guess enchantment is a very tough skill to advance, and more a money drain than a money-maker. Hmm.

To me, the mark of a good game is that there are a bunch of character attributes you wish you could take and you always regret the ones you don't have. That will be the case here.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: Wow: Professions/Tradeskills

Post by $iljanus »

Mr. Fed wrote:So what kind of experiences are people having with professions/tradeskills in the released game? Any combinations that are working out particularly well for you?

I've got a mage, and was toying with the idea of herbalism/alchemy. But that seems somehow dull. I'm also thinking of tailoring/enchantment -- apparently you can make stuff with tailoring that you can then disenchant to get enchantment materials. But I guess enchantment is a very tough skill to advance, and more a money drain than a money-maker. Hmm.

To me, the mark of a good game is that there are a bunch of character attributes you wish you could take and you always regret the ones you don't have. That will be the case here.
You're not really ditching the family vacation for a "case" are you...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Heh. Dumbass state courts only have trial 4 hours per day. Plenty of time for gaming . . . .
none

Post by none »

i'm really enjoying skinning and leatherworking. i haven't put any effort into making it profitable, preferring just to keep my characters and group mates nicely equipped. skinning seems like a good skill to get early on because there are just tons of skinnable corpses laying about, especially in the starting areas. and with leatherworking, i get a sense of pride when i make something and it's labeled, "Made by Gorkha", there for all to see. :)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Mr. Fed wrote:Heh. Dumbass state courts only have trial 4 hours per day. Plenty of time for gaming . . . .
Not if she takes the computer so you are truly suffering while they are away...

She doesn't read the forums, right?
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Mr. Fed wrote:Heh. Dumbass state courts only have trial 4 hours per day. Plenty of time for gaming . . . .
WHAT?!? I've tried cases from 8:30 to 6 if we were trying to get the jury out for a weekend.

Bastard!
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Tareeq wrote:
WHAT?!? I've tried cases from 8:30 to 6 if we were trying to get the jury out for a weekend.

Bastard!
Well, so have I --- in federal court. But the damned lazy state judges go 10-12, then 1:30-4, with breaks.

Back to tradeskills, damnit! What do you use?
Zathras

Post by Zathras »

I have not gotten into tradeskills yet. I was thinking about mining/engineering, but it seems that I'm spending a good chunk of my available cash (not that there's a lot of that) on armor/weapons upgrades as I go up in levels.
"What good is science if nobody gets hurt!"
Tao

Post by Tao »

Skinning/Leatherworking is probably one of the more popular choices due to its ease of use. You kill something, you skin it can't get much simpler then that. Problem is there are a ton of folks doing this now, one of the folks I play with took leatherworking and he was telling me earlier today that the Auction House is so glutted with items he has actually lost money trying to sell stuff(the auction house charges you a fee to put an item up for auction, if it doesnt sell you loose the fee). Post level 25 leatherworking is really great to keep you and your friends nicely outfitted however after 25 or so you will be getting quest rewards and drops that far outclass almost anything you can make. During beta I took my skinning to 290+ and my leatherworking was in the 240's. I took mining/blacksmithing at release.

Tailoring is a nice profession especially if your a robe caster and even if not the ability to make bags is awesome. With very little effort by the time you are level 10 you can make 8 slot bags, 6 slots as well but most folks trade these for the material it takes to make them. 8 slotters is where you will start to make some cash. By the time you can make 10 slot bags most folks have found a bunch of 8 slots and a few 10 slots so this tends not to be a big money maker but the next jump up 12 slots you will really start to rake in the gold. If you can persue it high enough you can make 16 slot bags but the materials start getting pretty rare at this point. The other nice thing about tailoring is there is no other required profession i.e. skinning for leather mining for blacksmith's etc.

Mining/Blacksmithing, this one is tough as the mineral nodes while not rare(in the early stages) are still not readily available. This is still a very viable profession choice it just levels somewhat slower then some of the others. Unlike some of the other professions blacksmithing is also not a money maker early on. You need to get at least 100 levels in the skill before you can actually start making wanted items, weapons mostly. Around level 150ish is when it will start to really pay off. High end Blacksmithing items are extremely nice, armor pieces and weapons. Even the less obvious items like counterweights(decreases weapon delay) and "anti-disarming" chains are all desireable items by players. Blacksmithing is harder but has a bigger payoff for those who can see it through

Mining/Engineering, basically you are facing the same constraints as blacksmithing only with IMHO less desirable items. Unless you are a Hunter or plan to do alot of PvP I would not recommend Engineering. Granted these are some of the "coolest" crafted items in the game, mechanical squirrels, sticks of dynamite, goggles, parachutes etc. but most of the engineering items are more geared toward PvP. Of course if your a hunter I think engineering is a must as this allows you to craft our own guns, ammunition and scopes.

Herbalism/Alchemy, this one is a good choice for most classes. Alchemy has a bit of everything, heal potions, mana potions, potions that give you buffs etc. Herbalism is similiar to mining in that you have to "hunt" for plants to harvest but they seem to be alot more abundant. Alot of the other crafting professions also require certain potions in their recipes so the alchemist is a great middle man. You can also make a tidy profit from alchemy and it starts pretty early on selling simple healing and mana potions. You probably wont make as much as a Blacksmith but its also alot less hassle to do.

Enchanting, I would not touch this profession until your in your 30's. This is IMHO one of the hardest professions to level up, also one of the worst designed. As you play through the game you will start to find "Green" items. These are basically magic items and they will have various stat enhancements. Later on you will find Blue items(better then green) and eventually purple(extremely rare). The components you use to enchant items are derived by taking "Green" items and disenchanting them thereby destroying the item and extracting the materials. For the first 150 or so levels of enchanting the items you are destroying will generally be better then any enchantment you can cast making acquiring green items either difficult or extremely expensive. You can also purchase your ingredients straight from vendors but again you will need alot of cash if ou intend to grind this way. Hence my recommendation to wait till you are around 30th level when you can start "farming" lower level instances for green items. The other downside is around level 180 in enchanting you have to start disenchanting "Blue" items for ingredients hence my "poorly designed" comment.
fancydirt

Post by fancydirt »

I do skinning/mining. Most smiths and leatherworkers are nice or desperate enough to make stuff for free if you supply the mats since they get skill up out of it. The ones who are really cool to me get mailed random stacks of mats in the mail now and then while I still have enough on hand to sell on auction.

Once I get to level 50 and have no use for skinning for mats (drops in instances > crafted gear) and won't feel like selling the stuff, I'll ditch it and pick up engineering since some of those items work well for pvp and endgame stuff. For now I'll make money and gather.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

So far I've gotten my skinning and tailoring skills up to 100. Every item on my shaman's body was made by me. I never did it for the money, but you can make ok cash just by selling it to the vendors. The great thing about leatherworking is that you don't have to look very hard for the components.

My friend is mining and is having a lot of trouble finding the components to make his stuff. I don't think he made all the armor he's wearing and he has a ways to go before he can make that new axe he wants.

I've really been enjoying fishing/cooking. Both are secondary skills, so they don't count as your two skills. Fishing is a little hard at first, but this weekend I was able to get my character's fishing skill up to 150. I think that's as high as it can get without buying something. I can't find anybody to train me. I often "catch" weapons, armor, leather, spells, etc. when fishing. Vendors usually pay decent money for this stuff, so fishing is a very good way to keep your pockets full at lower levels. At 15th level I have over 80sp, and about 2/3's of that is due to fishing.

Cooking is hard unless you fish. I was having trouble raising my cooking skill until I started fishing and cooking what I caught. I was constantly catching this small shimmer fish or whatever it's called, and couldn't really do much with it. I bought a recipe to cook that fish and quickly rose my skill. By just cooking the fish I caught I got my cooking skill to 100 in no time. Now I have a lot of great health food (243 health in 21 seconds).

My next character will probably go the hearbalism/alchemy route. Those potions are just too good to pass up.
Tao

Post by Tao »

The great thing about leatherworking is that you don't have to look very hard for the components.
Spider silks for Toughened Leather Gloves
Perfect Deviate Scales for Deviate Scale gloves/Deviate scale Belt
Green/Black Whelp Scales for Whelp armor
Earth Element for various items
Water Element
Fire Element
Air Element
Moss Agate for Barbaric Leggings
Shadow Oil for Dusky Leather Armor

Just a few off top of my head :)
ironwulf

Post by ironwulf »

The best tradeskills can also vary whether or not you are in a Guild. Blacksmithing/Engineering/Enchanting all become less cost prohibitive if there are plenty of other people you can look to for aid in materials.

My Paladin is a journeyman Miner/Engineer, but this is not something I expect to make alot of cash in. If I wasn't in a very large and active guild, I'd probably stick with a couple of the gathering tradeskills just as a good source of income.

As already mentioned, don't overlook fishing and cooking, these are 2 skills anyone can have along with their 2 primary skills---and both can be useful for making cash.
Toe

Post by Toe »

From a PvP point of view, I think Blacksmithing + Engineering is the way to go.

Unforunately, if you take those two you can not mine all the ore you need to raise them up so it is not for the feint of heart. You will have to get all your resources from other players (or alts as the case may be).

The reason I think those two is because, as far as I know, they are the only two professions that have awesome PvP items that can only be used by someone with a high skill in that profession. For Engineering, there are several and I won't go into all of them (most all engineering items can only be used by someone with sufficent engineering skill). For blacksmiting it is the Glimmering Mithril Insigna trinket you get from a blacksmithing quest (225 skill needed). It give you 30 seconds of fear immunity (as well as some other things like resist bonuses), which many PvPers say is a "must have".
Toe

Post by Toe »

For those that are interested in the secondary skill Cooking, Fishing is a must-have skill.

There simply are not enough drops off creatures to effectively raise cooking skill.

Fishing provides you with tons of fish, most of them cookable, and whose recipes are readily availabe on fishing suppliers. I am 18th level on my priest now and have 150 skill in fishing and 130 in cooking. I did not devote a ton of time to it either.

Also, fishing provides some components for my alchemy skill. I have also got lucky a few times and pulled up magical boots.
knob

Post by knob »

I'm a money-whore. I go skinning/mining with all of my characters and sell it all.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Koz

Post by Koz »

Hey Fed, I'm a mage with enchanting/tailoring too, and I do enjoy it, though don't expect to make too much money at it.

Tailoring is useful because you can make your own armor, which is often better than what you find (even early on). Linen is very abundant on monsters and most people are more than willing to give it away too (unless you train tailoring or first aid, it's pretty much useless to anyone else). The big thing is you can make bags. 6 slots for linen, 8 slots when you get to wool, 10 slots for silk, etc. Not sure how easy it is to make money off these, but they're simple to make and great to have.

Enchanting is by far the hardest to profession to get skill at. The simple reason for this is that you have to disenchant (i.e. destroy) green items in order to get the materials needed to enchant things. And early on the enchantments are pretty lousy so the profession isn't too useful. However, I'm level 20 or so and my enchanting is around 80 I think, so it's not impossible to do. As you gain levels you'll notice in comes down to a choice between two things: skill or money. I say this because most green items you find you can't use, so you have to decide whether to break them or sell them. Usually the really good items I sell, the not so good ones I break. Also, soulbound quest items are great to break as well, assuming you can't use them. The profession does get better as it goes up, it just requires a bit of patience and willingness not to make any real money at it for a while.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Enchanting, espeically in conjunction with tailoring, really isn't that bad. At Tailoring 50 or so you can get the pattern for a brown linen robe. # linen, 3 thread, so not too hideously expensive, and it's a green item. So make 5-10 of them, and disenchant them. Since each disenchant gives 1-3 of the enchanting componants, it's not too bad.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Enchanting doesn't look too bad at low levels I guess, but I ended the closed beta with a level 60 priest who had 300/300 tailoring/enchanting, and I still don't know if I actually made any money with enchanting. The problem with the components is 2-fold:

There are tiers of components, the first tier stuff is not hard to get at all, since you can disenchant linen produced items. The top tier components (illusion dust, brilliant shards, whatever the essence is) can only be gotten by disenchanting level 51+ items. As a tailor I was buying stacks of runecloth for 1.2g, but I still needed something like rugged leather or ironweb spider silk plus gold bars to tailor up a 51+ items like a brightcloth robe or runecloth gloves. Most of the disenchants will produce dust, which is simply far too common and not that useful. Only people who have been level 60 for months and have more money than they know what to do with will pay 20g to upgrade their +7 stamina bracer to +9 stamina. But based on the price it cost me to get the components for that enchant, that's what I had to charge. I only sold one, even in the closed beta with an economy somewhat screwed up. The one type of enchant that sells well is weapon enchants. I was always getting requests for +5 damage to a 1h or +7 damage to a 2h, and the fiery weapon enchant (which I never got the recipe for). At the very end of beta when enchanting was finished by the developers and the final recipes were put in, I got an Unholy Weapon enchant that could curse what you hit to do -15 physical damage. I thought that was a kind of lame effect (the warlock curse of weakness is far better) but the visual it put on your weapon (2 little skulls swirled around the weapon with faint green trails) probably sold the enchant more than anything. I was charging 45g for the enchant. Anytime I sold one of those, though, I would turn around and buy runecloth plus other stuff from the auction house for making disenchant bait. The dust drop from disenchanting is far too common. At the end of beta I had an entire 14-slot bag in my bank full of dream dust (that's 280 dust). I could probably have sold it in enchants if I found standing around in Ironforge and spamming my enchant ad every 5 minutes to be entertaining, but I would much rather be out questing.

One thing that can mitigate the cost of components is guild instance runs. I went through Blackrock Depths with a party of guildmates, who were all my enchanting customers, and anything that dropped that no one wanted, I disenchanted. In a typical group, that kind of stuff would be rolled on for sale to the vendor. It also helped that we had all gone through BRD many times and didn't particularly need anything from there except from like 2 or 3 bosses.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

I have herbalism on my mage, and have only run into frustration with it. It seems like a decent skill, but there are a number of bugs with it that make it real annoyance to work on.

Half of the time I try to use it to pick a plant, it will get stuck with no loot window and I have to log out of the game and come back to be able to loot anything. I can still interact with things, but I can't loot and my character is stuck in the crouching loot animation until I log out and come back.

It happens a LOT, so I'd just recommend doing something else without the problems at least for a little while.
leo8877

Post by leo8877 »

I am a Rogue that uses herbalism/alchemy and it's been great. As I run around I find herbs, then make them into potions that I need for combat, etc. I think it's a great mix of professions.

EDIT: What faldarian is describing is server side, not a bug with the profession. I haven't had that happen to me once, and my skill in herbalism is at 120-ish.
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

leo8877 wrote:EDIT: What faldarian is describing is server side, not a bug with the profession. I haven't had that happen to me once, and my skill in herbalism is at 120-ish.
Interesting... so is it just lag then?

I've let it sit a couple of times where I was safe enough to do that, and it never timed out or came back with a loot window.

I've been playing on Feathermoon, which has really been very good as far as lag goes when compared to some other servers I've tried. I guess I just figured it was a bug in herbalism since I haven't had anything similar happen when looting corpses, only when doing plants.
none

Post by none »

same thing as you described happened last night to a group mate as we were questing around loch modan. i don't play an herbalist and so haven't seen or heard of this bug yet. she logged out and logged back in and everything was fine. hopefully this sort of thing isn't too widespread as i'd hate to lose an herbalist in my group! :)
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I just got my herbalism skill up to 52 last night and never experienced that.