Rainbow Six 4

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

CeeKay

Rainbow Six 4

Post by CeeKay »

From Gametab
RAINBOW SIX 4 DEBRIEFED

Ubisoft announces a new instalment in the tactical shooter franchise. First screens inside

Rainbow Six the fourth (no official title yet) has been unveiled by Ubisoft, the new chapter in the ongoing tactical shooter series currently in development for PC, Xbox and PS2 at Red Storm Entertainment and Ubisoft Montreal and due to launch the next offensive in Spring 2005.
Once again you'll get to take command of Team Rainbow, this time tackling a bio-terrorist threat, with the team finding itself the target of a terrorist organisation.

Ubisoft promises a new single-player experience "with a personal darker storyline, state-of-the-art equipment, and offer gamers the chance to play as two members of Team Rainbow: Ding Chavez, the fearless leader of Team Rainbow, and a new sniper role portrayed by Dieter Weber, who must cover his team's movement with deadly accuracy."

Additionally, multiplayer modes will return with enhanced features, plus PS2 and Xbox versions will get new exclusive multiplayer modes.
Play as 2 different members? I smell a nasty case of consolitis coming on :cry: I'm hoping they are developing the PC version seperately from the console versions and it will be a different game like they did with the PC/Cpnsole versions of RS3 .

EDIT: The first link requires registration. Voodoo Extreme Has a more detailed article that makes it sound less simplified.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

After watching them turn Ghost Recon into a third person action game, I don't have much confidence in Ubi anymore.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

Every article I've read on the upcoming GR2 says not to worry the traditional FPS view is still there, the 3rd person is just an option.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yes, I've read that, too. Third person didn't bother me that much.

I've also heard that the squads have been changed from your choice of configurations to a single squad of set size.

The interface has been removed and replaced with a set of four general-purpose orders. This was done to A) make it more 'accessible' to people who didn't want to spend more than five minutes learning to play, and B) make it usable with a console controller.

The squad can only be sent a certain distance from you before they return automaticaly.

The levels are linear - more Medal of Honor than Ghost Recon, and tactical situations are staged. Mission goals appear as you go, forcing you to do things a certain way insetad of adapting to the situation. Likewise, the levels have been planned so as to force 'intense firefights' rather than letting you choose your own approach (such as sneaking a sniper around and picking off the sentries).

Hell, from what I have heard, the squad even spouts action movie one-liners as they fight.

It is not, from what I've heard, a bad game. It is not, however, the same category of game as its predecessor. Given that, followed by an announcement of a storyline-based Rainbow Six where you can play one of two characters, being designed across multiple platforms, I just don't have a lot of confidence. Especially when they include features like:
10 multinational operatives, including Recon, Electronics and Demolitions experts are available to help you to complete the missions as you command your 3 AI-teamates through Quick Order Interface or Voice Command.
3 AI teammates through Quick Order Interface?

Play as either Ding or Dieter with 10 squad mates to choose from?

In the previous three games and six expansions, you could choose from probably 25, have seven AI teammates on multiple squads, create complex orders, and play as any character at any time.

Bah. Commercial decisions, but they sound like they're throwing the core of the series out the window to do it.

No worries. SWAT 4 has potential, and I can always go back and replay Operation Flashpoint or Ghost Recon 1.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I thought they were making a different version of GR2 for the PC.
Rich in KCK

Post by Rich in KCK »

I guess I have not paid that much attention to all of the squad details and how they will be used. I never have played any of the Rainbow Six or GR games in SP. The only time I've played these games is in co-op mode, as long as they have that I'm ok with them.
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

Man if they screw up the Rainbow six series I`m seriously going to get pissed off.

Play as one of two members....huh I want to be able to control them all as usual....hm, will follow this one closely though since I have an interest in the series.
knob

Post by knob »

The interface in the screenshots looks absolutely terrible. Goggle outline? The other stuff taking up 1/2 the screen? Ugh.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

Man if they screw up the Rainbow six series I`m seriously going to get pissed off.
So will I! I have bought every RS game and expansion. I don't mind if they change it, but it better still be alot of fun.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

including changing their helmets, clothes, gear, and weapons
Shit, I really really really really like this feature. And if it's in mp... oh god.

I hope the PC version is different because the console versions don't sound very appetizing.
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

Rainbow 6 III on the X-Box was a heckuva lot of fun both single and multi. The quick order interface (including voice commands) works out very well. All that said I know it's much more streamlined for quicker play than the PC versions (dumbed down, for the elitists:)). I can't tell you that you won't be disappointed, but they are great games for the platform. I haven't tried GR2 yet, but in the original the order interface on the console was a pain the ass. I'm sure it was much easier with a mouse, though.

In RB6 III on the X-Box you controlled Ding the entire time and had 3 other squad members with you (Deiter, a French guy and a British guy). They also never died in a mission. They became 'Incapacitated' and you continued on until you (Ding) went down (Ding is down, I repeat, Ding is down! :)). From that standpoint the console version will be expanded as it'll allow the player to choose from two members while still having the other 3 with them. From the PC standpoint, if they aren't making a seperate game, then you will have fewer characters and a tighter focus on the story. I'm not saying it's better, although these are some of my favorites on the system, just explaining how it worked on the X-Box.
disarm

Post by disarm »

with the way you guys are talking about RS, i'm starting to think i should dust off that copy of RS3 that came with my soundcard one of these days. i've never played a RS game other than a single-level demo from the original...
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

From the decriptions above, I am sure to hate this new game.

However it will sell millions.

The golden age is over I tell ya.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

I bought RS, played it for a while online but for some reason it never took off at GG. At least not like Ghost Recon...

Why?
Archangel

Post by Archangel »

hm looking at the screens I actually have more of a Ghost recon feeling to it then a R6 game :(