Half Life 2: Deathmatch. Yay or nay?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Do we want an *offical* HL2DM server?

Yes, I'm hip, I know HL2DM is da r0xx0rz
61%
No, I think HL2 sucks. I live under a rock. or a bridge.
39%

Total votes: 23

CharlieDelta

Half Life 2: Deathmatch. Yay or nay?

Post by CharlieDelta »

Thread title says it all. Yes, we want a server, or no, it's not worth it?
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

I'm putting a dedicated server through testing right now. "*OctopusOverlords.com* HL2:DM *Public* (for now)" is up in the steam server list. 8 Players, public, and it's been full since about 10 minutes after I put it up. :P Works well with 8 players, ping ranges from about 90 to 300. The 300's I think are more dependant on the players connection. A few people got dropped, but for the most part, it's been fast and stable for all concerned, and there have been no complaints of lag in the type chat. (Mostly people just exclaiming disbelief they just took a headshot by a toilet :P ) Average ping is usually somewhere in the 150's.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Sure - I'll play. I stink, but you guys need some target practice :)
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

I'm in, but not for today. I'm taking a break from FPS for the day.
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
Lee

Post by Lee »

I will be attempting some DM, but I suck bad. FPS are not my strong suit, I tend to panic and fumble on the keys.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

I'll be in there this weekend for sure.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Lee

Post by Lee »

Logged into OO servers, and it was empty. Seemed very laggy to me, not that I play FPS's much online. I would pull something towards me and it would just appear on the end of my gun. I also went down a ladder and it kept teleporting me to the top of the ladder again.

I am on cable btw.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

Hmmm, it was full earlier in the day, before I went to work. I watched the chat and monitored the statistics closely. Checked up on the steam site and found a few pertinent faqs, but nothing terribly elightening. I've set the servers priority to High, which should help somewhat. If the server was empty, there's no reason for the game to be laggy as each person takes up roughly 35k/s. Heck, most dialups could handle a one-person server. :P If other scheduled events were running and competing for resources while you were in the server, it could explain the lagginess. Setting the priotity to high may fix that, otherwise, I noticed many people had either consistently good connections, or consistently bad ones. There were people who spent hours in the server and never had a ping higher than 100. There were people whose ping never went below 300. I think thats more dependant on the individuals connection, and the quality of that connection in relation to my location. There's nothing I can do about that, short of suggesting you move in next door :P It's back up, slightly tweaked (9 players now. it handled 8 pretty well. Also, the process' priority is set to high now) so if a few people could drop in again, it'd be appreciated. :)
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Is there an IP address for this? When I go to the Favorites dealy on the HL2 DM server it only allows me to enter an IP address. I entered the one you listed before on the other thread (24.153.38.108:27015) and nothing happened, no server came up...

I can't say this is the most friendly server browser I have seen...
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

something crashed it. :P Not sure what, the warning wasn't particularly helpful. I'll put it up again tomorrow and try to password it for OOers. typical though. everything works silky smooth while I'm physically *AT* my computer to watch it. As soon as I turn my back, it goes up in smoke. :P Methinks it could probably still use another patch or two, and maybe even some documentation. I'm sure they'll roll all of that out with new maps and gametypes in the near future though.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Already rife with cheats. Geez, they don't take long.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Already rife with cheats. Geez, they don't take long.
I sure haven't seen any yet.

I thought I saw a guy with a speed cheat, but he was just lagging really bad.
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

alright, up again for another test. should be passworded this time. Password is overlord.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Eco-Logic wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Already rife with cheats. Geez, they don't take long.
I sure haven't seen any yet.

I thought I saw a guy with a speed cheat, but he was just lagging really bad.
There were a few guys on one server floating sideways. I thought it was just lag at first, since shooting them didn't seem to do anything and grav-gun items went through them. But they could shoot back and just ran around (sideways) spamming with the rifle and grav items, killing everyone.

Also I saw some guy holding a non-exploding barrel with the grav gun. He was walking around and chatting "LOLOLOL, OMG AH HA HAHA" etc. Anyway, when you shot him you got the sparks like you were hitting the barrel. Only it happened on his back, his head, legs, everywhere. No damage. We did spam him with grenades and he died but he was shielded pretty well against bullets. He didn't do it again, either because he couldn't or like he said, "I wanted too show u--not cheater!!!"
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Again, folks, anyway to locate this server apart from visually scanning 11 million servers off the browser? If there is an IP address, what is it?
Lee

Post by Lee »

Sort by name...since its starts with an * it will go right to the top of the list...at least it did yesterday.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Just ran around the level again, no one was there, guess everyone is at work. I had a latency of between 100 and 120. It ran better than when I tried yesterday (no clue what my latency was yesterday).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'll check it out when I get home from work (an hour or so). But be forewarned - I am teh suck.
CSL

Post by CSL »

IP is 24.153.38.108:27015

Played for a few minutes on the server, its kinda laggy. I'd be up for some multiplayer latter on in the night.
TheMissingLink

Post by TheMissingLink »

Ran around the map...ping was near 160 with nobody on it. Pretty laggy.

However, I have added it to my favorites so I can hop in whenever anyone is on :D
Member of the GG UT2k4 9000 Frag Club
Member of the GG UT2k4 Triple Digit Suicide Club
TheMissingLink on PSN
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Checked in just now. Got around 67 ping while empty.

Physics were a little jumpy using the grav gun, but otherwise smooth.

I'll check back in a bit.

MYT
CSL

Post by CSL »

Okay anyone want to meet at around 8:30 EST?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Hopped in for a bit with CSL, bluefugue, and PapaSmurpf. Fun times. An exploding barrel did the ear-ringing thing and didn't stop. Hard to play like that so I quit out.

Had a solid ping around 65. Kicked a bit of ass.

Going back in in a few.

MYT
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

LawBeefaroni wrote:Hopped in for a bit with CSL, bluefugue, and PapaSmurf. Fun times. An exploding barrel did the ear-ringing thing and didn't stop. Hard to play like that so I quit out.

Going back in in a few.
Did I ever even frag you...? Maybe earlier with the grav gun...

I need to solo the map a bit, remember where the revolver and the rocket launcher are...

Very humiliating experience overall... :oops:
CSL

Post by CSL »

Twas fun but laggy. They need to work on the netcode and I need to work on my lawyer killing skills.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

bluefugue wrote:
LawBeefaroni wrote:Hopped in for a bit with CSL, bluefugue, and PapaSmurf. Fun times. An exploding barrel did the ear-ringing thing and didn't stop. Hard to play like that so I quit out.

Going back in in a few.
Did I ever even frag you...? Maybe earlier with the grav gun...

I need to solo the map a bit, remember where the revolver and the rocket launcher are...

Very humiliating experience overall... :oops:
Actually, you nailed me a lot with the grav gun. I was maybe 105-50 when I left. I died a lot.

Rocket launcher and a revolver are in the vent. One end of it is grated off by the plug lying on the floor. The other end around the corner is how you get in. I think there are other revolvers. Man I love that gun.

MYT
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Yeah, I had fun too. Was great running towards someone, machine gun blazing and BANG! one shot from the .357 and I'm a dead puppy. I gotta learn to move while shooting. That's why I've never really don't the multiplayer FPS thing, I just suck too badly. Amazing, I didn't suck much worse than most of you guys (except for Law, that Beefaroni is a l33t g4m3r).
What the smurf are you smurfing at?!
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

nothing I can do about the netcode. :) I playtested on a few servers last night, and a) got my ass handed to me and b) had much the same experience. When it was laggy, it was consistently laggy, but trying different servers gave me different results, and ping would range anywhere from 90 to 300 depending on where I played. Not much the server could have done to prevent it, I'm sure.

Currently, I've been using the steam downloaded srcds (Source dedicated server) but it doesn't appear to allow much customization through the standard GUI. I'm DLing the non-steam srcds as we speak, which will hopefully allow me to schedule it, and then I can pick apart the configs and change them to our liking. First thing I'd like to do is set up a fraglimit for a map rotation :P This will likely be done sometime tomorrow or sunday though. I have to leave for work right now, and the DL isn't finished.

The server is up again, set to the other map this time, same info and password. Once I get it it all locked down (The scheduling, the configs etc...) I'll add it to the server list sticky. Any interest in a HL2DM night? I smell another poll. :P
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

Right now, no one is online on the OO server. I tried to log in anyway and the password is being rejected. Did it maybe get messed up, CharlieDelta?
What the smurf are you smurfing at?!
CSL

Post by CSL »

Yeah your password is fuxxored
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

I noticed. I came home and checked the console and found a long series of IP's followed by "Password rejected" :( *this* is why I want the non-steam dedicated server up ASAP. For the life of me, I can't find the server.cfg anywhere in the steam servers install path, so I have to just manually start it up and set the variables independantly each time. With the independant dedicated server, I could set up different configs, then set up shortcuts on the desktop for "Monday server"..."tuesday server"...etc... and then schedule each, if I so choose, and the parameters will always be the same for each. The download stopped for the independant server, although there's no confirmation it completed, so it may have just hung. I'll re-update it before I go to bed and it'll download anything it may have missed the first time, so hopefully tomorrow I can get the biatch set up and running silky smooth. If I'm not otherwise occupied, maybe I'll get a chance to clock some of you upside the head with a toilet too :twisted:
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

<whew> I *THINK* it's finally set up the way it's supposed to. set it up, ran around and tested it as much as I could. Got rid of the stuttering (at least as much of it that was the servers fault ) It turns out the process priority really needs to be set to "high" or anything else that has to share resources is really going to screw things up. It's password should be permanently set to "octopodes" (so I can't misspell it, the way I did last night :P ) and there *should* be a fraglimit of 50, and then it *should* cycle maps. I don't know for sure though, that was one part I couldn't test while in the server alone. :P

[edit: Taking it down for the night. I'm gonna do some serious hardcore Joint Ops-ing. I doubt the server would run well with me gorging on the connections bandwidth in JO though :P]
Lee

Post by Lee »

CharlieDelta wrote:[edit: Taking it down for the night. I'm gonna do some serious hardcore Joint Ops-ing. I doubt the server would run well with me gorging on the connections bandwidth in JO though :P]
No wonder I couldn't find it in the list...thought I was going nuts.
CSL

Post by CSL »

CharlieDelta wrote:[edit: Taking it down for the night. I'm gonna do some serious hardcore Joint Ops-ing. I doubt the server would run well with me gorging on the connections bandwidth in JO though :P]
Booo......hisssss!
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

yeesh, sorry :P I'm gonna head into the livingroom to play some Halo2. It's late, but what the hell, I'll put the server up anyways. Maybe make it public, so it gets used :P
Lee

Post by Lee »

overlord isn't working for a password CD.
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Lee wrote:overlord isn't working for a password CD.
CharlieDelta wrote:It's password should be permanently set to "octopodes"
CSL

Post by CSL »

CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

server is up. Until I can decipher the command line arguments for making it a console-only server, I'm stuck unable to schedule it automatically. :( I did, however, remember to start it up before I left the house.
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

Booyah! Not only does it start when scheduled in console mode, I set it up so the process starts in high priority, so it's completely fire-and-forget now. It'll be up every monday, tuesday, wednesday and friday starting at 5:00 PM Eastern. (Sorry, tonight is Ravenshield night)