Any Leisure Suit Larry fans?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

BigBoneTone

Any Leisure Suit Larry fans?

Post by BigBoneTone »

Just saw this in the store recently, tried a search here but got nothing. Anyone try this? I'm proud to say I've played through a few of these back in the day, ah, the sophmoric good times I had...
"Only a jackass quotes himself" Big Bone Tone
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I never played the series "back in the day". But I did get "Love for Sail" and thought it was a decent game. Funny.

I do remember some discussion when this most recent one came out - and it wasn't good. Both the humor and the gameplay.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

If you are talking about the Magnum Cum Laude recent release, it sucks balls. It is mildly amusing and the gameplay is very repetitive. I couldn't force my way all the way through it. This is from someone who loves all the older games.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The reviews basically said the minigames are so repetitive they ruined the whole game.

I have the previous titles in the "collection", complete with strategy guide (he-he-he).
disarm

Post by disarm »

i have no idea if the game is any good or not, but if you do decide to pick it up you may want to wait a little bit. i saw mention of an "uncut" version becoming available in the near future. i'll try to find that info again...

Update: here's the link with info...doesn't look like it does anything to improve the game though. just gets rid of the little censoring boxes over everyone's naughty bits
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

/shrug i got the game, and thought it was pretty fun. its kinda like watching an 80s college and tittie movie. then again, im prolly really easy to entertain.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

The uncut version is already available.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

It's very average and nothing like the original LSL adventure games. This has none of the traditional adventure mechanics like exploration...every encounter is based around a mini-game. For example, when talking to girls there's a sperm on the lower part of the screen that swims along and you have to steer it up and down to hit good objects and miss the bad ones. Hit the good ones (heart? I've forgotten) at the right point and he says something clever and so on.

It's also more in-your-face, with outright bad language and so on, rather than the gentle innuendo of the first. Still, it is funny to some extent. Not for adventure lovers but more for someone who wants to be titillated and likes mini-games.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

I played a few of them when I was a teenager, and thought they were pretty entertaiing. There aren't enough funny games made, so I think I'll probably pick it up someday. I can't justify paying more than $20.
BigBoneTone

Post by BigBoneTone »

Yikes, I'm almost sorry I asked, anytime a game is described as "sucking balls" I take that as a hint to stay away. I'll just go ahead and keep my strange memories of the good times in the past with the series.
"Only a jackass quotes himself" Big Bone Tone
piecedoff

Post by piecedoff »

Unfortunately Al Lowe, the creator of the series wasn't involved in this, and it shows.
Play it for some cheap thrills and titties. But if you are looking for a good adventure game: Stay away from this.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

I'm a big fan of the original LSL series, played 'em all. Unfortunately, I can vouch through several friends unfortunate enough to pick up the new installment that it's complete and utter crap. Stay as far away as you can, especially if you have pleasant memories of the original series.