WoW: Sharing Quests?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Biyobi

WoW: Sharing Quests?

Post by Biyobi »

I've been playing WoW with my roommate and I'm trying to figure out if there's a benefit to sharing quests rather than each of us getting the same quest individually. We aren't at the point of doing (or even participating in) Elite quests, so I'm talking about the smaller ones available like killing a certain amount of Defias Whatevers, or Gnolls, or make deliveries, etc. Doesn't this just divide the experience points and rewards? Since we are already diffusing the experience we get from killing things just by being grouped, are we better off each receiving the quests on our own?
Black Lives Matter
knob

Post by knob »

"Sharing Quests" just lets you give the quest to the people in your group if they don't have it.

Say you come across some quest stuff you need, but one person doesn't have it. If you share the quest with him, he won't have to run back to the quest giver to get the quest. He can just get it right then and there.

No rewards are split. Everyone gets a full reward.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

For gathering quests, it doesn't really matter, since each of you will need 8 doohickeys to complete the quest whether you get them alone or in a group. Grouping will only allow you to kill things faster to get the doohickeys.

But for the kill X quests, grouping really speeds things up, since each member of the group gets credit for each kill. I grouped last night for the Defias Highwaymen kill quest in Westfall, and it took us about 15 minutes to complete the quest.
raydude

Post by raydude »

I would definitely group for the "kill X" quests since the XP gained from finishing the quest is much higher than the XP from the individual "X" killed.

I would prefer to group for the gathering quests as well because it allows me to do the quest without having to do much of a "level grind" by killing lower level monsters.

For example, in the "gather X logs" quest the monsters roaming around the logs are at my level. So it takes some maneuvering and I have to proceeed at a slower pace. But if I group with someone then there is the added firepower of someone else hitting the monster and I can be more direct in the routes to the "X logs".
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Thanks for the info guys. I knew that we both get credit for the "kill X amount of bad guys" but I was wondering if there was a penalty for when you went in to claim your rewards.

On a similarly related note, can a higher level someone share quests with someone that hasn't got the experience to get that mission on his own? My buddy is 20th level (damn him and his time off!) and has access to missions my 16th level self has yet to be offered.
Black Lives Matter
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Many quests require certain other quests to have been completed beforehand. These quests can't be shared with someone who hasn't completed the prerequisites. As long as a lower-level character meets the prerequisites, I would think they could be shared.
ironwulf

Post by ironwulf »

Think of the Quest Sharing as simply a way to save time for someone to run and get the mission from the NPC.
With that in mind, you can't share quests with anyone who couldn't get that same quest from the NPC. This means you can't share quests that are from a multi-part series, class-specific quests, or quests that you don't meet the level requirement.