Journey to the Center of the Earth?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Zekester

Journey to the Center of the Earth?

Post by Zekester »

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/919045.asp

The reviews don't look all that good, and i'm not really into aventure-style games, but the locales and dinasours interest me.

Has anyone played this?
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

I played some of it. Never finished it. It's basically crap, don't bother with it. It's basically a magnifying glass for all the common problems of the genre with a few of its own. Unclear, illogical puzzles, major interface problems, bugs, dull story... The game doesn't really have any redeeming qualities.
End of line.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Really?
Wow :shock:

This review sounded ok:
http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,306

"Bottom-line: This game has a suprising charm and beauty, with enough depth to keep you playing until the end. A solid pick that will surely satisfy."
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Kaigen

Post by Kaigen »

It's been my experience that Adventure Gamers doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. Just looking at their review list they barely score anything below three stars and there are way more 4+ star games than I believe actually exist within the genre.

But hey, that's me. There's no good reason for you to take my word over theirs.
End of line.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

heh. I think it was Justadventure that gave "Conspiracies" like a 100% perfect rating while the 3 gaming mags gave it really low scores, like 20% or less.

Either those adventure sites are really easy to please or highly optimistic or something. I actually bought "Conspiracies" because I happen to like the retro-look of the screen shots, which seemed to be what everyone was complaining about mostly. But I havent actually loaded it up yet since the box requirements worry me a bit--

See if you can figure this out:
Pentium II 400 or Celeron 486 (?!?)
4 gig HD space.
30 gig (?!?) HD space recommended.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Yapette

Post by Yapette »

4 GB required ---> 30 GB recommended is a bit of a stretch.

Sorry I ever doubted you GH, couldn't believe that the required vs. recommended was such a serious leap - thought it must be a typo. After reading the box flap, seems you are absolutely correct. As I've recently installed a massive slave drive, I will do a full install & see how much space it actually takes.

Promise to report back later.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Welp, i'm gonna fire this one up and have a look just because the locales have piqued my interest.

I already grabbed the walkthru for it, which is almost a required first step for me when I play these type of games.

Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Who you callin' a welp?!? Huh?!?
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Zekester wrote:Welp, i'm gonna fire this one up and have a look just because the locales have piqued my interest.

I already grabbed the walkthru for it, which is almost a required first step for me when I play these type of games.

Sorry I derailed the thread Zeke.
But which game you talking about now? Journey to the Center of the Earth? If so, be sure to report back. After tonight, I have all this next week off, so I may run out and get it if you say it's any good. I too was intrigued by the box cover and screen shots, though the reviews I read dissuaded me somewhat.

God knows I don't have enough backlogged already. :)

It's either that or Black Ops 1 again.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Ok, i've played it for about an hour now.

THANK GOD FOR THE WALKTHRU

The puzzles are the typical sort, which never cease to confuse the pee outta me.

But I still want to keep playing because the game world looks good and I want to see what's around the next corner.

I'll just use the walkthru the whole time :)

BTW I bought this in the first place because it was only $10 at MediaPlay.
Yapette

Post by Yapette »

Welp (nice to see someone else uses this word), the Conspiracies install using the dvd version took 1.5 GB on an empty drive. Maybe the box really meant it needs 3.0 gb (including temp files) for the install? The font size on the black box is so small I can barely read it with a magnifying glass.

And Zekester, to stay on topic, have you found any bugs (of the computer variety) yet in Journey....? I started playing when it first came out (alas, paying full price) & stopped in let's see....my wt :wink: says Askiam. Seem to recall I was having a hateful time navigating around the city, screen wouldn't scroll or arrows wouldn't appear to change screens, something like that. Recently installed the game on a slower computer hoping it will play better or I've learned more patience.

Maybe I'll give it another go if you're enjoying it.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Thanks for the research, Yapette. Now that I know I won't be sacrificing my entire HD on this game (Conspiracies), I may give it a go.

--Welp
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

have you found any bugs
I haven't found any, but I haven't been as far as you in the game neither.
toger

Post by toger »

I think I played until I got into the city itself. I played with a friend and we had issues trying to locate hotspots and getting the "feet" icon to show up when we wanted to move to new locations.

I hated that huge puzzle to open the door in the cave as the graphics weren't clear enough and there weren't enough clues to pick the correct icons to open the door. Thank the stars for all those prolific walk-thru writers!

It was a pretty game, but I got bored and never finished it.