Is the EQ2 Prima Guide worth getting?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scooby Doo

Is the EQ2 Prima Guide worth getting?

Post by Scooby Doo »

I know the information becomes outdated soon. But being aware of that, is the guide worth it for now?

I had picked up the biggest EQ guide, in the past, and my daughter and I found it quite useful (can't remember after which expansion; it was the only real "thick" one they published). It was our EQ gaming bible. Nice, quick, easy reference.

I got a quick glance, recently, at the remaining copy of the EQ2 guide they had at a local EB, but didn't spend too much time (feel cheesy spending a great deal of time looking through a strat guide at a gaming store, especially if I may not pick it up; don't want to appear a freeloader).

From what I could gather in my quick, but subsequently, limited analysis, it seemed mostly just stocked with quest information. That I'm not really all that much interested in, since I like some danger and adventure of the unknown when questing (when possible). However, I am interested in spell information and especially detailed crafting info.

So if anyone has actually broken down and picked up the guide and has a positive recommendation (or negative reaction), I'd be glad to hear it.

I thought about the eGuide of it, from Prima's site, but that PDF is "locked" to the PC you purchase it on. Since I would like to print it off on the high-speed printers at work, but actually be able to also view it (the PDF) at home, that won't work.

My 11 year old daughter also plays EQ2, so the guides, if good, are beneficial for her (as opposed to the researching on the internet).

Thanks in advance.

By the way, I do really like the WoW strategy guide, but the Vampires guide is a complete waste. So I know there can be some gems in the rough with strategy guides. However, I don't like to experiment with $25 a shot to find out (if it's for the worse).
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

My experience with MMORPGs is that they are often tweaked and updated (nerfed, gimped, whatever you want to call it) and strat guides are quickly rendered inaccurate. Online sources are better as they are kept up to date.

I guess they would be accurate for the first few months, though, so if you use it to get your feet wet it could be useful. Just be sure to keep up to date on forums/fansites for any changes.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The biggest value of the guide (IMO) is the maps. There are fairly detailed maps of a lot of the zones, complete with spawn information. Since dungeon layouts probably won't change, I felt it was worthwhile to have a guide I could quickly turn to for that. (Particularly since some of the maps aren't readily available online, and especially not with spawn information.)
Scooby Doo

Post by Scooby Doo »

Thanks, guys!
Kael

Post by Kael »

I do use the town map quite a bit, mostly when I've forgotten where something is. I like to explore and Im not really interested in more of the quest and monster zone maps.

I do like all of the class descriptions, especially the blurbs on how easy or hard each one is to solo since that is where I spend most of my time. I wish they had more specifics on crafting, excatly what the skills do and such but its okay, and a million times better than what comes with the game.
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

I got the E guide and i love it. Of course i printed it in high quality at work and had my friend at kinkos bind them for me, in different booklets bassed on subject. So now i have a newbie info book an atlas in 2 parts freeport and qeynos, a crafting guide and an item guide. Worked pretty well for me. However that may not be what you want to do, because that printing and binding would have cost quite a bit if i had shelled out the $$$ for it.

The point is the strat guide is really nice, there is nothing at all you cant find on line for free. however the info is very well organized, and the maps are brilliant. If you dont do the E guide then do the real one, because id be willing to bet the info in them is the exact same. Anyway all in all i thought it was a well spent 10 spot.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What I liked about the Eguide is that it is a lot cheaper (10$ vs 25$) and it's searchable, so you can easily find stuff while you are playing.

Jennifer
Black Lives Matter
TommyTutone

Post by TommyTutone »

I bought the EGuide and as mentioned, it is cheap enough to be worth it (IMHO) at $10. By doing so, I am able to print off the maps and mark them up as need be without 'defacing' a book, as I did last night for the JBoot quest.