new Doctor Who game in development

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

freelunch

new Doctor Who game in development

Post by freelunch »

from Outpost Gallifrey
An Australian film newsletter recently reported on a new Doctor Who computer game coming soon. "Film Victoria provides funding for digital media projects" is the headline for the article, which states that "Film Victoria will support the development of six innovative digital media projects through its Digital Media Fund (DMF) program. Game Prototype Development investment funding was provided for two projects. IR Gurus Interactive Australia will develop a game of the world’s longest running science fiction television series Dr. Who, and Iron Monkey Studios will develop Darkenlight, a darkly-twisted, humorously spooky game of fighting action and exploration set in an enigmatic world where nothing is quite what it seems." More details as we get them.
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Can't wait to jump in the ol' Tardis!

My brother and I loved that word so much, we incorporated into everyday language and still use it in conversation: "It was a very small building. Oh, I'd say just slightly larger than a Tardis." Or, since my brother lives 2,000 miles away, when we talk on the phone one of us will say, "Wouldn't it be nice if we could just hop in a Tardis or something and visit each other?"
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Giles Habibula

Re: new Doctor Who game in development

Post by Giles Habibula »

Andrew wrote:
... will develop a game of the world’s longest running science fiction television series Dr. Who,
Good lord. Is the series STILL running?!? I had no idea.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

it was taken off the air in the late '80s - almost came back in '96 but the pilot failed to rate well enough and it was dropped again. a new season is now being filmed (They're more than half-way through the thirteen episodes) and will go to air in Britain in March next year.

in the time it has been off air the concept has been officially carried on in print (first by Virgin Publishing, later by the BBC - I have well over 100 original Doctor Who novels (not novelizations of TV episodes) which continue to be published monthly)

there is also an ongoing series of "audio dramas" released as double-CDs featuring the last four actors to play the part, along with some of their TV companions and other recurring characters - these are produced monthly and as a longtime fan I prefer many of the audio stories to what was seen on TV.

(my sig always has links to info on the Who novel I'm currently reading and the audio adventure I've most recently listened to)

Scrobbling at last.fm
JayG

Post by JayG »

Caerdroia was a great audio, one of the best in a while. I have my doubts about the Next Life though. And games of TV series usually tend to ......

For a Dr Who game I'd like to see something like Day of the Tenticle. A great non-linear adventure game with a touch of Tom Baker madness.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

I think an adventure would be the only format that could work, though I'd prefer a pompous Colin Baker or "dark" McCoy to a Tom Baker-based game.

regardless, any new game is likely to feature the new Eccleston incarnation.

I loved Caerdroia - marvellous to hear McGann wearing his happy hat again :) - I'm looking forward immensely to The Next Life primarily because I want the whole "alternate universe arc" to die. it has been an intresting concept, but only a couple of stories have used it for anything new.

Scrobbling at last.fm
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

now what would be neat would be an adventure game in which you could play through the same basic plot as several different incarnations of the Doctor (plus companions) in which the path through the game (and possible outcomes) were different for each Doctor.

yes, I am a shameless fanboy.
Brain

!

Post by Brain »

I reckon it could be an RPG. If you 'die' as a time lord you could lose XP but return with different stats & look or something :). I'm guessing having companions would be a certainty?
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

but to stay true to the spirit Doctor Who it would need to be an RPG in which combat was a last resort and an extremely rare occurrence.

Scrobbling at last.fm
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

spooky game of fighting action and exploration
That bothers me. Doctor who was a man of thought and action and seldom fisticuffs. I am greatly troubled.
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

the
referred to isn't the Doctor Who game.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

D.A.Lewis wrote:
That bothers me. Doctor who was a man of thought and action and seldom fisticuffs. I am greatly troubled.
Maybe it's a third doctor game. :wink:

(Of course, that would be Venusian fisticuffs.)
JayG

Post by JayG »

It could be the 6th Doctor (Colin Baker), in which a Doom like game could be very apt.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

JayG wrote:It could be the 6th Doctor (Colin Baker), in which a Doom like game could be very apt.
Only if the violence is aimed at companions...
D.A.Lewis

Post by D.A.Lewis »

Andrew wrote:the
referred to isn't the Doctor Who game.
My bad
I guess I have to improve my skim reading skills :oops:
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

JayG wrote:It could be the 6th Doctor (Colin Baker), in which a Doom like game could be very apt.
I can see Steve Lyon's Time Of Your Life as the basis for a neat Half-Life clone :)

Scrobbling at last.fm
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

It's gonna be a FPS ala Doom 3 w/ hand to hand combat ala Dead OR Alive Ultimate! It's gonna R0XX0R!!!!!
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!