Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri AAR: Join the OO faction!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hipolito

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri AAR: Join the OO faction!

Post by Hipolito »

I'm starting an after action report for a game of Alpha Centauri, and you can appear in it! Just post in this thread, and I might name something in the game after you. How does having run of your own base sound?

Although I'll be using the Alien Crossfire expansion and its attendant features, the six computer-controlled factions will be from the familiar, original SMAC. I will play a custom faction: the Octopus Overlords, led by none other than the true queen of our hearts ...

Elisha Cuthbert

We'll make Planetfall on Wednesday. Head for the landing pods, put on your silksteel kneepads and get ready for launch!
Last edited by Hipolito on Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Gah! Suckers behind the Queen! Staple me please!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Incendiary Lemon

Post by Incendiary Lemon »

In the name of the queen!
Koz

Post by Koz »

I like boobies!
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I KNEW clicking on this would be a good idea. Hooray Elisha!
jeansberg

Post by jeansberg »

I´ll be in my escape pod...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Toss me in plz.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The Drones will miss you.............
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Reporting for duty!
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

A picture of Elisha Cuthbert? That made my day. Yesssss!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Varity

Post by Varity »

Ohh! Ohh! Pick me! Pick me!
setaside

Post by setaside »

I'm in. I would be happy to volunteer myself as the "personal" plaything of the queen.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

I'm so there. Sign me up. Count me in.
ChrisGwinn

Post by ChrisGwinn »

Why leave the other factions intact? At least rename the Free Drones to the Bovine Conspiracy.
Seppe

Post by Seppe »

Ready to leave for the new planet
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Sign me up.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

Anything for Elisha! ;)

- Ash
Enough

Post by Enough »

I hope this isn't just a tease. :wink:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Dr. Sugardaddy

Post by Dr. Sugardaddy »

Hail Queen Elisha!

So say we all.

So say we all.
brettmcd

Post by brettmcd »

Sure ill be a part of this :)
There is no problem so large that it cannot be solved by a liberal dosage of explosives.
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

ChrisGwinn wrote:Why leave the other factions intact? At least rename the Free Drones to the Bovine Conspiracy.
That's a good idea, Chris, but the Bovine Conspiracy would probably just get fed up with the Queen's dictatorial style and relocate to the nearest cow-shaped asteroid.

Elisha is pleased that so many of you are willing to sacrifice your lives--nay, your very manhoods--for her glory. Not that you are worthy or anything.

Prologue

The Unity spaceship was humankind's last, best hope after civilization jumped the shark on Earth. Her many occupants, looking forward to establishing society in Alpha Centauri, had various reasons to leave their homeworld forever. Some wanted a new home. Others wanted to escape war and persecution. Many were simply tired of Ben Affleck.

And so humanity's greatest endeavor skimmed the void, her systems automatically steering the colonists toward destiny, when a massive onboard explosion threatened the mission:

Everyone woke up and hastily met to decide what to do. A habitable planet, Planet, was close by, but the window for launching the landing pods was closing by the second. A disastrous schism formed when various factions argued over how to answer the question, "How do you cook a potato in the microwave, anyway?" As tempers flared and the crippled ship shook apart, people fought and screamed all the way to the landing pods.

One of the Unity occupants was a beautiful young actress named Elisha Cuthbert. She had been sent on the mission as a goodwill ambassador, but had developed a strange communion with the ship's marine life specimens along the way. In the chaos, she found the opportunity to secure a landing pod for herself and her many-tentacled companions. They called themselves the Octopus Overlords.

Game Parameters
  • Map: Random, custom size of 64x128
  • Ocean coverage: 50-70% of surface
  • Erosive forces: Average
  • Native life forms: Average
  • Cloud cover: Average
  • Difficulty level: Thinker
  • Rules: Standard (Alien Crossfire version 2.0)
Here is the Octopus Overlords faction card:

Here are the rival factions known to have taken landing pods to Planet. (In my experience, some of them have trouble surviving on large maps; I've given those factions slight bonuses, as noted, to enhance their strengths.)
  • Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang of the Human Hive
  • Academician Prokhor Zakharov of the University of Planet (two bonus technologies instead of one)
  • CEO Nwabudike Morgan of Morgan Industries (300 extra energy credits instead of 100)
  • Colonel Corazón Santiago of the Spartan Federation
  • Commissioner Pravin Lal of the U.N. Peacekeeping Forces (one extra colony pod)
  • Sista-Can't-Resista Miriam Godwinson of the Lord's Believers (free probe team)
Planetfall!

As their rickety landing pod hurtled through Planet's atmosphere, Elisha and her minions gripped the safety bars and awaited their fate with grim silence.

Fortunately, the pod landed safely on a rainy, mineral-rich meadow with natural resources nearby. Queen Elisha started her empire right on the spot, converting the landing pod to her new headquarters: Smoove Boutique. Oh, the floral patterns! The linens!

The first Octopus Overlord to explore the new frontier was the fearless scout, Incendiary Lemon. Representing the perfect fusion of exothermic and citrus chemistries, he set out to claim the world for his queen. He sped southeast to investigate some strange structure-type-thingies.

Find out what happens to Incendiary Lemon and the rest of the Octopus Overlords in the next installment. Updates will be provided on Wednesdays at least.
Last edited by Hipolito on Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

Hippolito, that was terrific. Keep it up, I can't wait for the next installment! :)
docD

Post by docD »

Send me! I wish to serve the Queen!!
Massena

Post by Massena »

For the Queen! Forward the Tentacle!
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

I'm in. Of course, I'm probably too late for all the real good jobs, like sexual gratifier to the queen. I'll be stuck tending to those damn mind worms.
Thunderspark

Post by Thunderspark »

I'll join too. Hopefully my character will last longer than those x-com aars.
Crux

Post by Crux »

Why not? Count me in.
If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit - Mitch Hedberg
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

I prefer brunettes, but I'll take one for the queen.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Hipolito wrote:Image
I love the retro stats. 8-)

Next time I'll take the foil off the potato before nuking it...
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Elisha's First Score

In Mission Year 2101, the independent scout Incendiary Lemon checked Smoove Boutique's perimeter while our faction's starter colony pod trundled to the north. Smoove Boutique, making the most of our Centauri Ecology starting tech, was fastidiously fabricating our first Former.

In 2102, we changed our Research Priorities to Explore, Discovery, and Build. We'll let the Conquer category go for now, as well as the fifth category which is a catchall acronym for the technobabble branches of the tech tree.

My research strategy is to pursue techs that would be safe to trade to other factions in exchange for their Conquer techs.

In 2104, Smoove Boutique completed its Former, which would be driven by one of Elisha's celebrity pals who had tagged along for the ride. His skill in handling earth-moving equipment was so renowned that he went by the name "Mr. Terraformer." His first task was to head to a rolling, moist hill northwest of the Boutique and cultivate a farm there.

Meanwhile, Incendiary Lemon had discovered the Manifold Nexus to the southeast. Controlling this alien landmark increased our Planet rating by one, so we'll send our next colony pod there to get a more secure grasp on it.

As for our first colony pod, it reached the ocean shore to the north and established our first post-landing base: Koz Frontier Colony, or KFC. Let's see what it's cooking...

As the ceremonial coleslaw was passed around (uneaten), we received intelligence that Colonel Santiago had established the first post-Planetfall base two years ago. Our -1 Growth rating is going to be a problem.

Before releasing its landing pods, the Unity spaceship had seeded Planet with Unity pods stocked with supplies that the colonists would need. A Unity pod could contain just about anything: energy, technology, maybe even dirty magazines. In 2107, Smoove Boutique trained a scout patrol and sent her southwest to investigate one such pod. The pod contained nutrient resources that would feed the cashiers at Smoove Boutique during their lunch break. Unfortunately, a native spore launcher had gotten to the pod first and was eating the contents. With our high Planet rating and the Boutique's seductive variety of fabrics and facial creams, the scout patrol was able to coax the beast away from the food and tame it. We had our first alien life-form!

The scout patrol headed south, letting her pet spore launcher wander away. Nosing through a patch of xenofungus, the spore launcher got into a snarl with a mind worm hatchling but managed to tame it. Our second alien! It turned out that both native life-forms were reincarnations of Qantaga and Varity. These OO'ers had played too much Alpha Centauri on the Multiplayer forum, so it was poetic justice for them to come back as Planet's creepy crawlies.

Qantaga and Varity will be allowed to play in the pink fungus fields, where they will grow stronger and capture other mind worms.

Qantaga, the spore launcher, followed the xenofungus belt west and rooted out another mind worm, which he tamed. This mind worm looked kind of strange and his name was Arnold, so Qantaga named him JonathanStrange.

Smoove's scout patrol tapped another Unity pod occupied by a mind worm. Barking like mad, Varity came to the scout's rescue, scaring the wild creature away.

Along the westward xenofungus trail, which came to be known as Jeansberg Oozeway, the weird-looking JonathanStrange grew to Larval Mass size by fighting other natives. Having explored the Manifold Nexus peninsula, Incendiary Lemon headed west to see what he could do there.

In 2112, which Elisha declared to be the "Year of Rush" for some reason, we made our first post-Planetfall technological advance: Biogenetics. Varity caught up with the mind worm he had scared off and chewed it up, growing to Larval Mass size. Off to the west, Qantaga popped a pod and triggered a xenofungal bloom. Silly spore launcher! Oh well, more pink to play in.

Varity ran off to join Qantaga and the misshapen JonathanStrange in the Oozeway. Smoove's scout patrol began her journey back to the Boutique to begin her permanent garrison assignment (special employee discount on brooches and neck scarves). The abnormal JonathanStrange found and killed another mind worm, becoming a Pre-Boil. Kid may look like a freak, but he's growing fast.

By 2115, we'd retrieved a lot of planetpearls from the natives that Elisha's pets had killed. Smoove Boutique made so much money selling planetpearl necklaces to eccentric aunts that it was able to rush-build a colony pod.

In 2117, the University beat us to discovering Secrets of the Human Brain, which is no surprise. Incendiary Lemon fought a mind worm and got promoted to Disciplined status for the kill. He suffered 40% damage, though, so he went to the Boutique for that tender healing that says, "Smoove." The three tamed natives--Qantaga, Varity, and the disturbing JonathanStrange--rested in the Oozeway to regenerate their bile sacs.

In 2118, Qantaga reached the end of the Oozeway and found our first monolith.

It was also the year in which the witch's coven dbt1949 was established at the Manifold Nexus, securing our +2 Planet rating. One year later, we discovered Industrial Base technology.

Here was the world, as we knew it, at the beginning of year 2121:

Until we can build naval vessels, we'll be forced to expand along the Oozeway.

Here's how we compare to the other factions:

From left to right, the bars represent OO, the Hive (Yang), the University (Zakharov), the Morganites (Morgan), the Spartans (Santiago), the Peacekeepers (Lal), and the Believers (Miriam). In hindsight, that extra tech I'd given to the University was a lot more than a "slight" bonus. It's interesting that Miriam is in last place but leads in wealth and territory. I wonder what her empire looks like.

That's how Elisha spent her first 20 years on Planet. We're not doing too hot, but the game's just begun.

Next episode: one of you dies!
Last edited by Hipolito on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hipolito wrote: Image
Classic. ;)
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

Hipolito wrote:Unfortunately, a native spore launcher had gotten to the pod first and was eating the contents. With our high Planet rating and the Boutique's seductive variety of fabrics and facial creams, the scout patrol was able to coax the beast away from the food and tame it. We had our first alien life-form!
Ha Ha Ha! That's great, I can't wait to see what comes next Hipo...
jeansberg

Post by jeansberg »

:lol:
Dammit, i should be doing my homework, but this is more fun!
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

Exploring Elisha's Big "C"

Setaside stepped off the bladder-lift and marched down Tentacle 1-A, which led to the Queen's command boudoir. The rows of sentry crabs lining the corridor recognized him and let him pass, their eyestalks following his every move. Pushing aside the beaded airlocks leading to the boudoir, he found Elisha in the arms of a concupus. Before he could discreetly back away, Elisha commanded him, "Stay." She gave her plaything a lash of the psy-whip and the concupus disengaged its tentacles from her, melting into the folds of the breathing walls. She straightened herself out, tied her hair back in a prudent bun and beckoned the messenger forward.

Setaside sighed at his misfortune. All of Elisha's personal assistants had to become eunuchs. He didn't know what that word meant when he eagerly volunteered. He did now. A lot.

"Queen Elisha," he began, "there are problems in the dbt1949 base."

"What problems?" she asked. "Is dbt skimming smilies off the top?"

"Worse than that. As you know, he can be quite protective of his land. Apparently, he won't let anyone, not even his own Former, enter the base."

"Hmm," thought Elisha. "The old codger must be having a hard time adjusting to Planet life."

"Actually, he loves it here. The fungus is good for his goats' digestion, and there are fewer of those 'damn kids' to keep off his yard. But if he's not even letting military units police the base, we'll have riots on our hands."

"Make sure he builds colony pods to keep his population low."

"Yes, my Queen."

"And bring me poutine."

"Uugh--I mean, yes, my Queen."

In 2121, with an assisting spit of xeno-loogie from Qantaga, Varity mulched a mind worm and grew to a Pre-Boil. Later, Qantaga and the grotesque JonathanStrange went north and discovered the Monsoon Jungle. This was cause for celebration because the Monsoon Jungle's bonus nutrients were just what the struggling Overlords needed. The discoverers did a happy jungle dance.

Meanwhile, Incendiary Lemon finished using the healing service that was Smoove's specialty. After leaving a tip, he headed west.

In 2124, the frightening JonathanStrange cracked open a Unity pod. Out sped a Unity Rover with Daehawk at the wheel. "Yahoo!" he cried. "Thought I'd never get outta there! Gangway!" Rescuing this crazy dune buggy driver seemed to make Elisha the leader in Military (an edge we would soon lose to the technological genius of Provost Zakharov).

Daehawk explored the Monsoon Jungle at high speeds, becoming the first human to ruin the rich virgin soil with his wheel ruts. The phantasmagorical JonathanStrange opened another pod and discovered our first Alien Artifact. He instructed it to go to Smoove Boutique.

In 2125, we discovered Doctrine: Mobility. Not an exciting tech to have at this stage, but it could lead to better things.

In 2128, Varity, who had ventured alone south of the Monsoon Jungle, flipped over a Unity pod to reveal a second monolith not far from the first. Elisha ordered Smoove Boutique to build a colony pod and send it west to take advantage of both monoliths. After marking the new monolith with his scent, Varity trotted south to tag along at the heels of Incendiary Lemon, who was of a mind to go hunting in the Jeansberg Oozeway.

In 2130, Daehawk explored the last remaining square of the island on which the Octopus Overlords had landed. The island turned out to be shaped like a big old letter "C." What to call it? Elisha decided that "Orgull Island" had a nice ring.

Having nothing left to explore until the discovery of Doctrine: Flexibility (which would allow us to take to the seas), Daehawk and the monstrous JonathanStrange played chicken in the xenofungus patches of the Monsoon Jungle while Incendiary Lemon and Varity played fetch in the Oozeway. Incendiary Lemon became Hardened. Qantaga went south, watching over the Alien Artifact as it made its way to Smoove Boutique.

The colony pod that Elisha had ordered from the Boutique had to cross through a small part of the Oozeway in order to reach the monoliths to the west. In doing so, it ran into a wild mind worm:

The colony pod fled for the shelter of the Boutique as the mind worm gave chase. Varity saw what was going on and pounced on the mind worm, killing it and growing to Boil size.

In 2135, we discovered Doctrine: Flexibility.

In 2137, Smoove Boutique, having rush-built its Recycling Tanks, began work on our first Secret Project: the Weather Paradigm. Now that it was safe to leave the base again, the Boutique's colony pod, followed by another from Koz Frontier Colony, headed west. This time, Varity shepherded them through the tricky part of the Oozeway so that the wildlife wouldn't bother them again.

In 2138, drone riots broke out at dbt1949 as setaside had feared.

One of dbt1949's workers became a doctor to treat the drones' Elvismania. This wasn't a big deal because, thanks to Elisha's clever plan, a colony pod would be made at this base next year to take the drones away.

The colony cows continued west, passing the eastbound Alien Artifact. Varity maintained traffic through the Oozeway. In the Monsoon Jungle, Daehawk found an abandoned baby mind worm:

"I love him!" said Daehawk as he cradled the alien infant. "I will hug him and squeeze him and name him ChrisGwinn."

In 2140, Qantaga and Varity did their spit-and-tackle tag team act on a wild mind worm. Varity became a Mature Boil. He was now just two stages away from maximum size!

One year later, the Alien Artifact arrived at Smoove Boutique and merged with the Weather Paradigm project. Finally taking advantage of Doctrine: Flexibility, Koz rush-built our first naval vessel: a transport foil. Dbt1949's colony pod hitched a ride on it, as did the adventure-loving Daehawk. The pustulous JonathanStrange stayed behind to kill a mind worm, becoming a Boil though the fight damaged him by 60%.

In 2143, Incendiary Lemon got killed by a mind worm hatchling that had been uncovered during the previous turn. It's always a disappointment when an independent unit (which has no support cost and never causes drone riots) is lost, especially when it could have been sitting safely in a base doing police work. Incendiary Lemon should have been more careful in the Oozeway, but somehow he got caught without native units to protect him. A mind worm attacker gets both the 3-to-2 attack advantage plus the xenofungus advantage against a non-native while in xenofungus. Without native backup, Incendiary Lemon was doomed. Varity howled pitifully for the fallen human friend that he had failed to protect, then avenged him by killing the hatchling.

It was also a year of birth, however, as Hrdina base was established between the two monoliths at the western end of Jeansberg Oozeway.

In 2144, we received intelligence that Sister Miriam had initiated work on the Weather Paradigm. With only 24 turns left to go on our version of the project, I think we'll beat her to it.

The transport foil carrying Daehawk and a colony pod navigated carefully through the fungus-infested Asharak Lagoon, the body of water in the hollow of Orgull Island. Once it cleared the fungus safely, it sailed east. There were many Unity pods in the sea, but the vessel avoided them. One reason for that is because aquatic Unity pods often hold Isles of the Deep, which can easily kill a slower and weaker transport foil. Another reason is that the foil's cargo hold was already filled to capacity; there would be no chance of finding an Alien Artifact that could be hauled back to base.

In 2148, we discovered Information Networks.

To make westward passage easier, Smoove Boutique's Former began removing the small part of Jeansberg Oozeway that had earlier interfered with colony pod traffic.

In 2149, we received word that Zakharov had started building the Virtual World. This Secret Project would remedy one of University's main weaknesses (extra drones), so it would be nice to deny him this project. However, we lacked the technology to build it for ourselves.

That same year, the transport foil found land very close to Orgull Island. Daehawk revved his engines and flew off the deck to explore this new terrain.

What did Daehawk find? That will be revealed in the next update, which will unfortunately not be for several weeks (no, not because of that "Olivia" game). I shall part with a tribute to our first casualty on Planet. Goodbye, Incendiary Lemon. You might have made our mouths pucker at times, but we'll miss you. Your remains have been jettisoned to the cosmos, as you would have wanted.

Last edited by Hipolito on Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

In 2124, the frightening JonathanStrange cracked open a Unity pod.

Man, that's a sentence that would take one million years of a random sentence generator to come up with and maybe not even then. Although strangely enough, I was thinking of going to my local Unity dealer and checking out the latest models.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

I must be being saved up for something big!

All hail Elisha.
Orgull

Post by Orgull »

I got my own Island? :D Yay!

Looking forward to the next episode...
setaside

Post by setaside »

Eunuch?! I suppose I was asking for that one, huh? :-)

Alright, someone post an pwned pic for me. That post most certainly qualifies. Good show, Hipo.
Massena

Post by Massena »

Heh. Best AAR in a VERY long time. Between dbt'd goats and "the pustulous johnathanstrange" and the fact that, though Elisha isn't winning in terms of pop or tech, she ownz the hotness category, we've got some quality Overlord material being generated here.

We ARE allowed to call johnathanstrange "pustulous" outside of this thread right? :wink:
DD

Post by DD »

I think I just pee'd my pants from laughing so hard! :D :D :D Bravo!