Helherron 2.04(Windows and Linux) to be released Sunday.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Peacedog

Re: Helherron 2.04(Windows and Linux) to be released Sunday.

Post by Peacedog »

ColdSteel wrote:Peacedog, try also checking the 'disable visual themes' box. Works for me.
I will give it a try this evening.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

*Sigh* Well, my 2.03 game is dead. I went into the basement of the abandoned farm and now when I try top leave via the stairs, the game crashes every time. I tried doing another battle down there and saving again, hoping that would change something but nope. Guess 2.03 is just as bad as 2.04 for this stuff.

Too bad. I was having a blast, My group was up to level 3 and the Bard just hit level 4. Had some good spells and equipment and was looking forward to kicking some monster butt. I think I will restart with 2.04 and hope that my hypothesis that more memory in a modern XP PC will stave off the horde crash proves out.

BTW, I did get a lockup on XP and 2.04 at the main menu screen the first time I cranked it up the other day. Had to kill it via task manager. I set the compatibility to Win95 and had no other issues in the short time I messed with it so will try that setting too and hope it fixes the random lockups.

The guide is very helpful. I did do a few quests that weren't documented in the guide (like the yellow dagger quest at the abandoned farm) so I'll try to take some notes the next time through.

Great game. Damn, I wish the author had not abandoned it.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

I am pretty sure the yellow dagger quest is listed on Josh's guide(I am pretty sure most of the quests, save for the new one added in 2.04, are listed in Josh's guide.). I could be wrong though so I will take a look.

Sorry about your game crashing like that Coldsteel. I have had a couple of random crashes in my latest 2.04 game but no horde crash bug yet. My party is at levels 5-7 right now and I am halfway through the slugmen. Having a blast so far. Plus since I was playing 2.04 I was able to do the gladiator/arena thing which cannot really be done in 2.03(well...it Can but who would put in the effort of trying to get through every combat without saving?!) and also that merchant on teh jungle island does not crash teh game in 2.04 like it does in earlier versions.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Ah! yep...the yellow dagger quest is listed on Josh's guide(like the 4th or 5th quest down on the list).
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I started over last night using 2.04 and so far it has been rock steady in about 6 hours of play under WinXP. At least it was until I unchecked the Win95 compatibility box on the shortcut. When I did that it immediately locked up after loading the save on the very next startup. So, I set it back and again have had no issues at all. I recommend anyone that gets lockups on 2.04 to use this compatibility switch. Win98 doesn't work, it has to be Win95 for some reason.

If using Vista/Win7 I verified using my Vista box that checking both "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition" on the shortcut compatibility tab will indeed automatically disable Aero when starting the game and will automatically re-enable it on exiting. That fixes the graphics corruption Peacedog had. Be careful with alt-tabbing though.

Edit: Oh, meant to ask, does anyone know what the two weapon combat skill does exactly? Do you get an extra attack or increased damage on 1 attack? Is it work taking for a fighter? I was thinking maybe 2 swords might be good if it's not gimped.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Ugh you got me excited to give 2.04 a try again but now it locks up my computer trying to start
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

ColdSteel wrote:I started over last night using 2.04 and so far it has been rock steady in about 6 hours of play under WinXP. At least it was until I unchecked the Win95 compatibility box on the shortcut. When I did that it immediately locked up after loading the save on the very next startup. So, I set it back and again have had no issues at all. I recommend anyone that gets lockups on 2.04 to use this compatibility switch. Win98 doesn't work, it has to be Win95 for some reason.

If using Vista/Win7 I verified using my Vista box that checking both "disable visual themes" and "disable desktop composition" on the shortcut compatibility tab will indeed automatically disable Aero when starting the game and will automatically re-enable it on exiting. That fixes the graphics corruption Peacedog had. Be careful with alt-tabbing though.

Edit: Oh, meant to ask, does anyone know what the two weapon combat skill does exactly? Do you get an extra attack or increased damage on 1 attack? Is it work taking for a fighter? I was thinking maybe 2 swords might be good if it's not gimped.
The two weapon skill determines your chance to get a second swing with a second melee weapon(wielded in the 'off hand', instead of a shield). If you do get the second attack when dual wielding then your chance to hit is still determined by your appropriate weapon skill(i.e. if you are wielding two one-handed swords then your two weapon skill determines if you get the second attack but your sword skill determines your chance to hit with each attack).
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

You're running it under XP with the Win95 compatibility mode set? If so, then I guess I've just been lucky. I've been playing all evening without a single issue. Finished the Goblin caves and at the Dwarven Temple now. Mage just hit level 2. Fun stuff.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

JC Anejo wrote:Ugh you got me excited to give 2.04 a try again but now it locks up my computer trying to start
Which OS are you using? If Vista or Windows 7 then see Coldsteel's notes above. If XP then, as Coldsteel noted above, the compatibility tab might be your friend here.
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Skeptic wrote:
JC Anejo wrote:Ugh you got me excited to give 2.04 a try again but now it locks up my computer trying to start
Which OS are you using? If Vista or Windows 7 then see Coldsteel's notes above. If XP then, as Coldsteel noted above, the compatibility tab might be your friend here.
\
I put it on my Laptop running Xp and it appears to be working fine. Haven't left the first town yet so I haven't got to the mob bugs yet.

My desktop is Vista and I am trying it in win95 compatibility mode but it freezes on the start up screen. First time I could alt-tab out of it second time I had to shutdown so I gave up there.
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

I've finished up the usual early suspects in 2.04 (kobolds/undead/orcs/some bandits). I've made a few trips to galakto and gone to a certain cave to get a good item that turned out to be underwhelming in this game.
Does anyone have a list of artifacts? I've played most of the way through this 2 or 3 times and I've gotten 1 or 2 non-standard (orcslicer and dwarf mines ones not included) artifacts each time. I'll post any I find this time through in this thread and would welcome anyone else to post what they find.

And finally, I'd like to add a little list of "items you should keep and buy at any cost"

1) +int\+wis items for mages and priests. These items directly make your caster able to cast better spells. Ball spells and later on storm spells = WIN
2) +mana items. Second best for casters.
3) +quickness. never get rid of one of these
4) amulets of giants. 4 stat points for the price of 1
5) Here are the books I find most useful in early/late game.
Early: Flare/Greater Flare, Turn undead, bolt spells, holy shield is top notch early, transfer makes spell caster fights a joke.
Mid/Late: chain lightning, ball spells, summon golem/demon/elemental
6) enchant item scrolls should be hoarded for a great find.
7) stat gain potions (int,wis,str,con especially) should be bought if possible. Int and wis should ALWAYS be bought.

I'm sure I missed some things.
OO, GWJ, QT3
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Skeptic wrote: The two weapon skill determines your chance to get a second swing with a second melee weapon(wielded in the 'off hand', instead of a shield). If you do get the second attack when dual wielding then your chance to hit is still determined by your appropriate weapon skill(i.e. if you are wielding two one-handed swords then your two weapon skill determines if you get the second attack but your sword skill determines your chance to hit with each attack).
I went ahead and boosted my two weapon skill on my troll fighter when he hit 2nd level and switched to dual broadswords. He has a sword skill of 126 and a 2 weapon skill of about 80. My god it's effective. He's been getting off two attacks every time and always hits on at least one of them. They also cause bleeding at times. I'm going to continue to pump the skill just to see where it leads. Hopefully there are some awesome swords in the game. I'm assuming if he has 2 swords with bonuses equipped, they all stack? If so, that would be so very excellent. :)

This party has been way more effective than my old party in the 2.03 game. i currently have:

Troll Fighter (dual wielding broadswords)
Golem Barbarian (+1 2H Sword)
Lizardmand Monk (2 fisted death)
Elf Merchant (good archer with equal bow and crossbow skills)
Fairy Mage (no really good spells yet)
Fairy Priest (can cast minor summon)
Fairy Priest ( has web)
Orc Shaman (minor summons)

I love this party. I just finished the Dwarven temple and have a bit over 15,000 gold. Heading over to Burgurji now with everyone at level 2.

Wouldn't it be nice if some developer somewhere decided to make a new CPRG just like this one? Just take this type of gameplay and mechanics and stick it into a modern gui and graphics engine? It would be a day one purchase for me. I had thought that I had just lost a lot of my love for this genre somewhere over the past 5 or 6 years but it's not that. I LOVE this game. The fact is, developers just don't make the type of RPGs I love anymore. I like the Might and Magic old school turn based games with 6 or more party members. I just don't enjoy the real-time single character games as much. Just somethng missing (like this wonderful tactical combat) in those games for me. I guess maybe I'm getting old. For me, this game reminds me of why I fell in love with computer gaming in the first place.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

ColdSteel wrote: I went ahead and boosted my two weapon skill on my troll fighter when he hit 2nd level and switched to dual broadswords. He has a sword skill of 126 and a 2 weapon skill of about 80. My god it's effective. He's been getting off two attacks every time and always hits on at least one of them. They also cause bleeding at times. I'm going to continue to pump the skill just to see where it leads. Hopefully there are some awesome swords in the game. I'm assuming if he has 2 swords with bonuses equipped, they all stack? If so, that would be so very excellent. :)
Yes, they stack.
This party has been way more effective than my old party in the 2.03 game. i currently have:

Troll Fighter (dual wielding broadswords)
Golem Barbarian (+1 2H Sword)
Lizardmand Monk (2 fisted death)
Elf Merchant (good archer with equal bow and crossbow skills)
Fairy Mage (no really good spells yet)
Fairy Priest (can cast minor summon)
Fairy Priest ( has web)
Orc Shaman (minor summons)

I love this party. I just finished the Dwarven temple and have a bit over 15,000 gold. Heading over to Burgurji now with everyone at level 2.
That looks like a devastating party. You should not have too much trouble with them. I usually cannot be without my bard but I am starting to seriously consider that the next time I play I will replace the bard with someone else.

My current party(level 7 & 8 now and about to kill Scotia in the Dwarf mines):

Troll Fighter w/two swords
Lizardman Monk
Golem Barbarian with 2-handed sword and Maces/Hammers skill.
Golem Barbarian w/ 2-handed Axe skill
Halfling Thief w/ Long Bow(my archer)
Orc Shaman
Fairy Priest
Elf bard

I am thinking next time(unless I just restart right now?) I will go with:

Troll Fighter w/ two swords
Lizardman Monk(Though I am seriously considering making this one a Lizardman Thief(which means I will have to draw a new icon) See below)
Golem Barbarian w/ two-handed axe OR Dwarf Fighter w/ two axes
Golem Barbarian w/ Maces/hammers skill
Orc Shaman(with dagger skill)
Fairy Priest(w/Mace skill. See below)
Fairy Mage(w/ Dagger skill)
Elf Merchant(though I don't care much for the Merchant as a class. It just seems...weird) w/Bow

My reasoning for the above:

May go with a Lizardman thief because their stealth skill is as good as Monks(or nearly so), they can pick locks, they can dual wield two-swords(or go sword + shield), their dodge skill is right behind monks and they can BACKSTAB! Of course monks can cast prayer spells(which hardly ever comes into play though anyway) and the martial arts proficiency.

Dwarf Fighter rather than a second golem(though Golems are undeniably more powerful) because they have good Blacksmithing, a +25 bonus to Axe skill and...just plain variety. On the bad side Golems have immunity to mental/emotional attacks and do not need to eat and they can carry a few tons of shit around and when they hit something...it tends to hurt. Dwarves just can't compete really. So probably go with a second golem after all(or try something else for the challenge).

Fairy Priest w/ MACE because they get a +2 per skill-up multiplier for maces. +1 for all other weapons. Not that it matters much as I never bother raising weapon skills for casters really(maybe in the late game a bit).

Elf Merchant(rather than a thief as my archer) because I realize now that using a thief as an archer is kind of pointless because it wastes their backstab skill. Merchants can get their lockpicking up pretty good and their Trading skill is second to none. Elves see better than halflings as well.

Wouldn't it be nice if some developer somewhere decided to make a new CPRG just like this one? Just take this type of gameplay and mechanics and stick it into a modern gui and graphics engine? It would be a day one purchase for me. I had thought that I had just lost a lot of my love for this genre somewhere over the past 5 or 6 years but it's not that. I LOVE this game. The fact is, developers just don't make the type of RPGs I love anymore. I like the Might and Magic old school turn based games with 6 or more party members. I just don't enjoy the real-time single character games as much. Just somethng missing (like this wonderful tactical combat) in those games for me. I guess maybe I'm getting old. For me, this game reminds me of why I fell in love with computer gaming in the first place.
You are preaching to the choir friend. I keep staring at these compilers I have and various books about learning to program in various languages and thinking "maybe...". But then i remember I suck at math.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Elbino wrote:I've finished up the usual early suspects in 2.04 (kobolds/undead/orcs/some bandits). I've made a few trips to galakto and gone to a certain cave to get a good item that turned out to be underwhelming in this game.
Does anyone have a list of artifacts? I've played most of the way through this 2 or 3 times and I've gotten 1 or 2 non-standard (orcslicer and dwarf mines ones not included) artifacts each time. I'll post any I find this time through in this thread and would welcome anyone else to post what they find.

And finally, I'd like to add a little list of "items you should keep and buy at any cost"

1) +int\+wis items for mages and priests. These items directly make your caster able to cast better spells. Ball spells and later on storm spells = WIN
2) +mana items. Second best for casters.
3) +quickness. never get rid of one of these
4) amulets of giants. 4 stat points for the price of 1
5) Here are the books I find most useful in early/late game.
Early: Flare/Greater Flare, Turn undead, bolt spells, holy shield is top notch early, transfer makes spell caster fights a joke.
Mid/Late: chain lightning, ball spells, summon golem/demon/elemental
6) enchant item scrolls should be hoarded for a great find.
7) stat gain potions (int,wis,str,con especially) should be bought if possible. Int and wis should ALWAYS be bought.

I'm sure I missed some things.
I will look forward to future updates. I like seeing how others go about teh game.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Okay, really big question here. How do you deal with green blobs? If I injure 1, it just divides into 2 blobs. If I fireball a bunch, then I have twice as many. How exactly do you kill them? I'm kind of stuck so any advice is appreciated.
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

Well, I deal with them like I do casters. I get my 2 golems a step out front to "catch" the bad guys coming (including the blobs). Now start casting transfer on the blobs when they get close. I you hit one and get a split, just transfer them out when you can. Sooner or later you'll use up the transfer fodder and then I just hit them hard with spells and weapons. Once the other monsters are gone, the slimes are pretty harmless by themselves. Also, if you're really stuck, summon some small animals and use them as transfer partners for the slimes.

I play caster heavy. Two mages, two priests a shaman and a bard though, so I have mana to play the transfer game. A melee heavy party would have to find other ways (a 'wall' of weak enemies) to funnel the slimes in one at a time.

The crowd control you use with slimes will be useful later on. The summon fodder/transfer trick works well with many of the hard hitting enemies in the game.
OO, GWJ, QT3
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

Here's a question for the group. What items would a merchant have to have for you to kill him? I don't remember for sure, but I think killing a merchant mean no more merchants for the rest of the game. I think I'd smoke him for a godly weapon or armor....holy would be a tough call. I let him live last night even though he had a +5 ring of the heavens (+6 to all stats) which would have made one of my mages into a powerhouse.
I can never afford anything he has anyway, so I figure I'll farm him for a big ticket item in the mid-game.
OO, GWJ, QT3
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Yeah, I found two scrolls of chain lightning in the next room and that sorted their green butts pretty fast. I discovered that the trick is to kill them in one shot. if you just wound them, they split.

I ran into the horde crash for the first time. Went back to the Kobold cave and ran into a boatload of spiders and gridbugs in one room. As soon as one of them bit one of my characters, the game crashed. I'll need to avoid them for now as I don't have any room clearing scrolls or spells. Best thing I have is fireball and only a 25% chance to cast it.

Finished the yellow dagger quest, blackmailed the baron and murdered the mayor of Cedar for the nice rings. I have quite a murderous bunch. :)

Thinking of clearing the basement at the abandoned farm next for the necklaces down there in the demon room.
Elbino wrote:Here's a question for the group. What items would a merchant have to have for you to kill him?
I'd kill them but it would have to be for something really good. I bought a necklace of the heavens for about $10K. Only +1 to all stats and I wonder if i should have bought it. Thought about killing him for it but I figured he might have something more worthwhile later on. I haven't played enough to even know what kind of good items are out there.
Edit: In the Kobald cave there's a room with an alter and a platinum idol on it and near that is another room with the Kobald king in it. Are either of those quests? I can find a quest giver for either of those.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

I never even noticed that killing merchants had any repercussions. I would have certainly killed one for a +5 Ring of the heavens though. That is damned near as uber as you can get from a merchant.

I never had much problems from the green slimes and my only casters tend to be one shaman and one priest(and a bard but he barely counts as a caster at all really.). their splitting up does not bother me much because when they do each of them has much less hit points it seems but yeah, if you can cast one high damage firebolt or some such to kill them outright without letting them split then that is the way to go.

I just killed Scotia and cleared the dwarf mines with my bard dangerously close to level 10. I had to hold back on her song splaying during the last few fights so she would not level. Otherwise when I emerged from the dwarf mines I would have gotten the dreaded messenger telling me to return to Oderwold for the damned planes quest thing. I would rather finish the dreaded elven orb quest before having to go deal with that 'save Oderwold'/Plane of (whatever) quest.

Why is the elven orb quest "dreaded"? You will see....

Hint: Mazes and monsters(and no, that has nothing to do with Rona Jaffe or Tom hanks).
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Is there a way to see the combat log? Everything the mobs do flashes past so quick I can't tell what spells are getting cast.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Shinjin wrote:Is there a way to see the combat log? Everything the mobs do flashes past so quick I can't tell what spells are getting cast.
Not that you can recall(by means of a key press or some such). When a mob casts a spell on one of your PCs there is a message telling you what happens and there will be different colored squares above the PC's icon to indicate different conditions he is under. Gree4n for poison, purple for confusion, pink for sleep, etc.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Is it okay to sell the platinum idol you get from the alter in the Konold cave near the starting town? It's not quest related, that is?
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

ColdSteel wrote:Is it okay to sell the platinum idol you get from the alter in the Konold cave near the starting town? It's not quest related, that is?

Yes, you can sell it. Same goes for the "Necklace of the Dwarven Kings" you find ...somewhere in the dwarf mines IIRC. What you do NOT want to sell(and I do not even know if you CAN sell it) are the green colored keys(I think you get the first one in the undead castle north of Gitala). IIRC they are, like in Nahlakh, quest related.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

I was on a graphics kick lately, doing some new icons for POWS and such, and came across(in my helherron graphics folder) a handful of monsters I had done(a couple new elementals and a few other things). I was wondering why I had not tried to add them to the helgraph.dat file. So I tried to do so, replacing the 'old' monsters in that file, making a back-up of the working helgraph file already in the game, then adding this new helgraph.dat file.

Apparently there is some sort of limit to how many changes you can make to this file because Helherron refused to load up after I did this, giving me an error message that it could not read the helgraph.dat file. This completely sucks so I decided I am going to just create a whole new set of tiled graphics for use in a Nahlakh/Helherron type game. All of them will be 32x32 pixels(for normal sized and smaller PCs and creatures and terrain objects and such) or 64x64(for large monsters/terrain objects) and probably not have any restrictive palette(unless there is a good 'programmer reason' for restricting to a palette? I don't think there is in this modern era of high end computers.). Maybe if I have a more or less complete set of graphics(and a game design document I guess) then I can hire a coder to do this thing(which will be expensive I am sure).
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Are there down sides to putting casters in armor?
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Shinjin wrote:Are there down sides to putting casters in armor?
You mean like penalties to casting spells? No. Only in that if you are encumbered your movement will get cut in half or something like that. Encumbrance is worse for archers because they can lose the ability to attack at all on a given round(if move = 2 then it will take two rounds to load and fire an arrow).

it would have been nice if Antti had managed to implement casting penalties for encumbrance but the game just never got that far I guess. I could be wrong about this as I have never really encumbered casters but as far as I know this is correct.

Speaking of Antti; I found and 'friended' him on Facebook. I can't tell if he still lives in Japan or he just lived there for a while. He's got lots of cool pictures on his page(undoubtedly taken well before the quake).
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Finally found a scroll of apocalypse so I could get past the horde-bug-crashing skeletons in the Dwarf Mine. Made a discovery -- at least with 2.04, at least on my machine, even if you kill almost all of them and radically diminish the horde, the game will still crash if one of the survivors lands a hit.

Still having fun. Archer has 8 movement points now; 2 shots per turn. Golem is up to 4, making him a threat in combat. Bard is occasionally casting kill-them-all songs.
Popehat, a blog.
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Mr. Fed wrote:Finally found a scroll of apocalypse so I could get past the horde-bug-crashing skeletons in the Dwarf Mine. Made a discovery -- at least with 2.04, at least on my machine, even if you kill almost all of them and radically diminish the horde, the game will still crash if one of the survivors lands a hit.

Still having fun. Archer has 8 movement points now; 2 shots per turn. Golem is up to 4, making him a threat in combat. Bard is occasionally casting kill-them-all songs.
Yeah I figured this out and have warned about it(practically since 2.04 was released). You have to kill EVERYONE before any monster lands a hiot on any creature(including it's own fellow monsters).

I have not played in over a week. I started reading one of those Baldur's gate threads and suddenly had the urge to play through that one(via EasyTutu), as well as my usual daily games of Heroes III and such. Also playing a bit of POWS/ToD to test out new icons I made.
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

I was wading through the terrible cesspit that is RPG Codex and noticed that Antti had posted in the Helherron thread!
Hello everyone! I'm happy to see that some people still haven't forgotten Helherron.

I am actually planning a sequel to this game and some code has been written already. Tentatively, this game is called "Helherron : The Lord of Mushrooms". Some ideas:
- in battles, whenever you get turn, you only have 1 movement point - always. But each fighter has its own speed attribute and faster fighters have a chance to act more often than slow ones. Each fighter's time share will be proportional to his/her/its speed attribute. Believe me, this battle system rocks!
- dungeons will be mostly random, with many different dungeon generation algorithms.
- the game story happens in the same world system as Helherron. Not on the 3 isles we already know, but on the big continent you can see in the Helherron map. Same races and classes will be there, and new ones also.
- there will be a mouse interface, but if you like it old school, you don't have to use it

I got a degree in mathematics, and I'm hell of a lot better programmer now than I was back then when I created Helherron. And my head is full of ideas!
Oh so happy. Now if we could convince him to release the source to the original Helherron!
OO, GWJ, QT3
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Elbino wrote:I was wading through the terrible cesspit that is RPG Codex and noticed that Antti had posted in the Helherron thread!
Hello everyone! I'm happy to see that some people still haven't forgotten Helherron.

I am actually planning a sequel to this game and some code has been written already. Tentatively, this game is called "Helherron : The Lord of Mushrooms". Some ideas:
- in battles, whenever you get turn, you only have 1 movement point - always. But each fighter has its own speed attribute and faster fighters have a chance to act more often than slow ones. Each fighter's time share will be proportional to his/her/its speed attribute. Believe me, this battle system rocks!
- dungeons will be mostly random, with many different dungeon generation algorithms.
- the game story happens in the same world system as Helherron. Not on the 3 isles we already know, but on the big continent you can see in the Helherron map. Same races and classes will be there, and new ones also.
- there will be a mouse interface, but if you like it old school, you don't have to use it

I got a degree in mathematics, and I'm hell of a lot better programmer now than I was back then when I created Helherron. And my head is full of ideas!
Oh so happy. Now if we could convince him to release the source to the original Helherron!

When was this posted? It looks almost exactly like his first (detailed)announcement of the sequel to Helherron (even kept the "Lord of Mushrooms" thing?) from like 6 or 7 years ago.
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

Yesterday. Hopefully it comes to light. I really got a lot of enjoyment out of the first one, even though I never finished it any of the three times I played it.
OO, GWJ, QT3
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Elbino wrote:Yesterday. Hopefully it comes to light. I really got a lot of enjoyment out of the first one, even though I never finished it any of the three times I played it.

Yeah I did some digging and found the post. I too hope this comes to pass.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Oh please.
Popehat, a blog.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Mr. Fed wrote:Oh please.
I can't tell if this is hope or cynicism. I want to say hope, given Fed's enjoyment of the first one.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

This is the Ultima V system, though how he measures "speed" could dramatically alter the formula. U5 used dex straight up.

It was a fascinating system, however it suffered when (1) you were maneuvering people in tight spaces (as one frequently needed to do in the 2d dungeon rooms) and (2) you were doing after battle looting (always handled in the 2d combat arena or in the afformentioned dungeon rooms). Two issues Helherron won't have, fortunately.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

Sigh.

I'm helpless. I restarted 2.04.

Hey Peacedog -- think we could get him to do an interview at Popehat about the sequel? Anyone have his email address?
Popehat, a blog.
Elbino

Post by Elbino »

I knew it! I should have gotten Vegas odds on Mr. Fed restarting Helherron when he saw that. I expect I'll be firing up the old Linux VM to start again this weekend.
OO, GWJ, QT3
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Mr. Fed wrote: Hey Peacedog -- think we could get him to do an interview at Popehat about the sequel? Anyone have his email address?
I see a. . . well I'm not sure I would call it a problem. . .with this. Maybe two.

The first being: since he more or less dropped off the map after Helherron (after promising a source code release), I'm not sure how excited anyone should get about a possibly sequel. I would love to be wrong, and I intend no disrespect here. It is what it is.

The second: I personally am probably not interested in interviewing a dev, really any dev. I Would be interesting in yelling at them about their (inevitable) interface issues. But that's mean. And I should feel bad about it being mean, though I do not. I almost feel bad about that.
Mr. Fed

Post by Mr. Fed »

This game is buggy, and the latest version is broken, and the graphics are ancient.

But in terms of turn-based party-rpg tactical depth, no game has ever matched it.

Too bad I'm bored to death with so much of it.
Popehat, a blog.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The bugs got to me and that made me sad. I love the game

I think you should learn to code, get the source code and fix it for me.

Thank you,