Helherron 2.04(Windows and Linux) to be released Sunday.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

ColdSteel

Re: Helherron 2.04(Windows and Linux) to be released Sunday.

Post by ColdSteel »

BTW, I see that Proudfoot has made the full version of Natuk available for free at long last. Has anyone played it? How does it stack up with Helherron? And more importantly, is it less buggy?
I am no longer able to sell Natuk CDs (no, I didn't run out, but the state is tired of dealing with my tiny little sales tax forms).

So, the full version is available for everyone to download here:
http://www.proudft.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=4.0

I would like to thank everyone over the years who bought Natuk (and Nahlakh, for that matter). Some of you even bought it twice... I can only assume you lost your CD. Silly CDs, they're so last century! Anyway, I really have appreciated the orders and hope you enjoyed playing the games!
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

ColdSteel wrote:BTW, I see that Proudfoot has made the full version of Natuk available for free at long last. Has anyone played it? How does it stack up with Helherron? And more importantly, is it less buggy?
I am no longer able to sell Natuk CDs (no, I didn't run out, but the state is tired of dealing with my tiny little sales tax forms).

So, the full version is available for everyone to download here:
http://www.proudft.com/smf_forum/index.php?topic=4.0

I would like to thank everyone over the years who bought Natuk (and Nahlakh, for that matter). Some of you even bought it twice... I can only assume you lost your CD. Silly CDs, they're so last century! Anyway, I really have appreciated the orders and hope you enjoyed playing the games!

Natuk is practically bug free compared to Helherron. In all seriousness, the bugs that exist in Natuk are small and infrequent.

I have played Natuk dozens of times (fully beating the game less than one dozen times). It does some things better than Helherron and some things worse but it is a whole lot of fun. It is overall a far more...'professional' game as far as graphics, design, bugs...and has well done music and entertaining voice-work as well.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
akuukka

Post by akuukka »

LordMortis wrote:The bugs got to me and that made me sad. I love the game

I think you should learn to code, get the source code and fix it for me.

Thank you,
Do not worry. I can pretty much guarantee that an update comes out this year. I've recently invested so much time on fixing and refactoring the old Helherron source code that I can't see myself failing to release it. Check helherron.co.nf.

Prepare for tougher than ever opponents. I haven't increased their stats but the AI is on a different level than it used to (for instance, there's finally a proper pathfinder...).

Other than getting bugs fixed and improving the AI, my longer terms plan is to improve the game balance and add new features. I'm working as a professional game programmer these days so my time for hobby programming is limited, but I'll do my best...
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

akuukka wrote:Do not worry. I can pretty much guarantee that an update comes out this year. I've recently invested so much time on fixing and refactoring the old Helherron source code that I can't see myself failing to release it. Check helherron.co.nf.
Wow, that's really great news. I loved the game but despite numerous attempts to play it through, I could never get past crashes that ended my progress each time. A fully playable game on modern computers would be wonderful. I note that it appears it's coming out for OS X first so us Windows users may still be in for bit of a wait.
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oh the happy!!!!!!
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Wonderful news. Love this game
akuukka

Post by akuukka »

Helherron 2.10 is now available for download at helherron.co.nf!

This is not just a little patch and goodbye, I'm planning to keep working on this game. Need to upgrade that 800x600 resolution for starters.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Wow, thanks very much. Downloaded. Now I just hope I can remember how to play this after so long. Also, a better resolution than 800x600 would be fantastic.
akuukka

Post by akuukka »

ColdSteel wrote:Wow, thanks very much. Downloaded. Now I just hope I can remember how to play this after so long. Also, a better resolution than 800x600 would be fantastic.
Support for higher resolutions is the top thing in my priority list currently. Biggest problem with 800x600 is that with most modern displays the screen looks stretched in fullscreen mode. This shouldn't take too long to get fixed.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

It's been so long I don't remember a lot of stuff so I decided to just roll the same party I was using before:

Troll Fighter
Golem Barbarian
Lizardman Monk
Elf Merchant
Fairy Mage
Fairy Priest
Fairy Priest
Orc Shaman

I see there are some changes in this version because it appears some of the class/race combos have higher starting stat ranges. Now to try to get used to the key commands again.
akuukka

Post by akuukka »

ColdSteel wrote:It's been so long I don't remember a lot of stuff so I decided to just roll the same party I was using before:

Troll Fighter
Golem Barbarian
Lizardman Monk
Elf Merchant
Fairy Mage
Fairy Priest
Fairy Priest
Orc Shaman

I see there are some changes in this version because it appears some of the class/race combos have higher starting stat ranges. Now to try to get used to the key commands again.
Initial attributes are now normally distributed, which means there are no strict upper and lower limits. So in theory you could have strength 100 at the beginning of the game, but that's super unlikely.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

akuukka wrote:Initial attributes are now normally distributed, which means there are no strict upper and lower limits. So in theory you could have strength 100 at the beginning of the game, but that's super unlikely.
Thanks, that explains some of the numbers I saw. I'm in the goblin caves now and everything seems smooth and stable. I'll report here if I have any issues.

Also, have you thought about porting this to Android? I would absolutely love to be able to play this on my phone. It seems like a perfect game for that.
akuukka

Post by akuukka »

ColdSteel wrote:
akuukka wrote:Initial attributes are now normally distributed, which means there are no strict upper and lower limits. So in theory you could have strength 100 at the beginning of the game, but that's super unlikely.
Thanks, that explains some of the numbers I saw. I'm in the goblin caves now and everything seems smooth and stable. I'll report here if I have any issues.

Also, have you thought about porting this to Android? I would absolutely love to be able to play this on my phone. It seems like a perfect game for that.
Yes, mobile versions are on the roadmap. But before that, higher resolutions and mouse support for the desktop (but those who prefer the classic interface will always be able to use it).

Mobile versions need hardware rendering which means some extra work. I suspect the current software rendering would kill your battery way too fast.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Is any of the old crowd that used to play the game and post in this thread still here?
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

akuukka, I'd like to report a few minor issues I've encountered so far in battles in the goblin caves.

1) Sometimes after the AI goes and it's the turn of one of my team again, that character is not highlighted. I work around it by hitting the inventory key to see which character's turn it is. When I exit, then the character is properly highlighted. This occurs intermittently and seems to happen often after my orc has summoned something and the AI kills it.

2) When fighting grid bugs, the spatter of a dead grid bug completely hides an alive grid bug sitting on top of the dead one. It's essentially invisible. Any ranged character can see where they are when firing an arrow or spell and the target square highlights the square they're in but it's really problematic for melee. I think the issue is that the live bug needs to be set to the foreground and the dead one to the background on display. It appears to be the other way around currently.
akuukka

Post by akuukka »

Coldsteel, did you update to 2.101 I posted yesterday? It might have issue 1 fixed, although I can't confirm since I'm doing development on Mac where this bug never occurred.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

akuukka wrote:Coldsteel, did you update to 2.101 I posted yesterday? It might have issue 1 fixed
Yes, I did update and yes, issue one does seem to be fixed by that version. Thanks for the update.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ColdSteel wrote:Is any of the old crowd that used to play the game and post in this thread still here?
I counted six of us, including you and me from the first two pages that I recognize as still posting enough for me to know they haven't disappeared.

I haven't reloaded the game yet. I've been on vacation. Ironically that means I've had too much to do to play any video games but this definitely back on top of my list when that time comes.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

LordMortis wrote:I haven't reloaded the game yet. I've been on vacation. Ironically that means I've had too much to do to play any video games but this definitely back on top of my list when that time comes.
Great. When you do, the newest version that was released yesterday has support for much higher resolutions that the previous 800x600 so that's a very nice addition.
JC Anejo

Post by JC Anejo »

Downloaded the game last night. Hopefully will be able to fire it up on the next couple days and see how much I remember about things. Played the first version a ton but never was able to do more with the Shamans then find out how much I liked them in the game before the crashes came so really looking forward to giving it another go.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

akuukka, I've had my first crash with version 2.101. I went to the arena in the starting town. I selected my golem to fight. The arena manager said he wouldn't allow the golem to fight. I then selected the "okay, someone else will fight him then" option and it immediately crashed with a windows error.

Looking in the Windows event logs, the Event ID was 1000.

Faulting application name: Helherron.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59005b5b
Faulting module name: Helherron.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59005b5b
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ad4a8
Faulting process id: 0x1748
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2bf7bc8aee920
Faulting application path: D:\Games\helherron-2-101-win-x64\Helherron.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Games\helherron-2-101-win-x64\Helherron.exe
Report Id: 29bb9593-2b71-11e7-a674-c86000c14e79
akuukka

Post by akuukka »

ColdSteel wrote:akuukka, I've had my first crash with version 2.101. I went to the arena in the starting town. I selected my golem to fight. The arena manager said he wouldn't allow the golem to fight. I then selected the "okay, someone else will fight him then" option and it immediately crashed with a windows error.

Looking in the Windows event logs, the Event ID was 1000.

Faulting application name: Helherron.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59005b5b
Faulting module name: Helherron.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59005b5b
Fault offset: 0x00000000000ad4a8
Faulting process id: 0x1748
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2bf7bc8aee920
Faulting application path: D:\Games\helherron-2-101-win-x64\Helherron.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Games\helherron-2-101-win-x64\Helherron.exe
Report Id: 29bb9593-2b71-11e7-a674-c86000c14e79
Thanks, fixed for the next update.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

The changes you made to the AI really have increased the difficulty at the beginning of the game a lot. You might need to balance that out somehow or I'm afraid most new players will just give up before they get very far. Maybe provide a few better spells somewhere to even it out or else improve starting stats somehow. The kobold cave was brutal and I don't remember it being that hard before.
akuukka

Post by akuukka »

Anyone else having feeling the same?

Perhaps a +1 to all attributes in the beginning and a little toughness skill boost for everyone (including the spell casters so they wouldn't die from the magic darts so easily).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Stalling yardwork, I'm finally downloading this and giving it a try and realize I remember nothing.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LordMortis wrote:Stalling yardwork, I'm finally downloading this and giving it a try and realize I remember nothing.
Coulnd't even figure out how to make my bard play music in the first combat. Got frustrated and shut down. I think I'm getting too old for non intuitive UIs. :( I went looking for documentation and appears the main source of information on this disappeared.

I may try again later when my patience bar has refilled.

Edit: Figured out how to Bard, won my first battle and the game promptly crashed. :(

Ah well, maybe next build
Faulting application name: Helherron.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59106a37
Faulting module name: Helherron.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x59106a37
Fault offset: 0x00000000001b8485
Faulting process id: 0x2764
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2e1ee2f13eb95
Faulting application path: C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\helherron-2-103-win-x64\helh-2-103-win-x64\Helherron.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\Mike\Desktop\helherron-2-103-win-x64\helh-2-103-win-x64\Helherron.exe
Report Id: cccaa603-62c4-4f11-9b9e-bae7fa7cbd89
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
alorelith

Post by alorelith »

ColdSteel wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 am Is any of the old crowd that used to play the game and post in this thread still here?
I was so excited the other day when, on a whim, I decided to look up Helherron and learned that it's been updated! I've been playing it on and off over the years since the beginning. I even paid to register the game and still have my registration information!

The one thing that I DO miss from the older versions (1.53 or something like that?) was the ability to enchant weapons with bonuses to I believe stats -- I got some ridiculously powerful casters back in the day but getting enough money to craft those weapons was ludicrous. I haven't gotten far enough yet in my most recent game to remember exactly what the differences were, but it'd be awesome if someone could scrounge up one of those old versions for nostalgia's sake.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Oooo.... Thank you for the bump. It looks like it's seem some overhaul since this time last year. It maybe time to load again.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

alorelith wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 11:11 am
ColdSteel wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 am Is any of the old crowd that used to play the game and post in this thread still here?
I was so excited the other day when, on a whim, I decided to look up Helherron and learned that it's been updated! I've been playing it on and off over the years since the beginning. I even paid to register the game and still have my registration information!

The one thing that I DO miss from the older versions (1.53 or something like that?) was the ability to enchant weapons with bonuses to I believe stats -- I got some ridiculously powerful casters back in the day but getting enough money to craft those weapons was ludicrous. I haven't gotten far enough yet in my most recent game to remember exactly what the differences were, but it'd be awesome if someone could scrounge up one of those old versions for nostalgia's sake.
Welcome to OO! Or if you are a lurker, congrats on your first post! :)
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯