Majesty

Post by RodeoRanch »

What a great game.

Normally I can't stand RTS games but I just love "Majesty."

Great fun for playing over a LAN too.

Umm....that's all. :D
Dhruin

Post by Dhruin »

Fantastic and massively underrated game. Words can't express how disappointed I am that Cyberlore put Majesty 2 on permanent hold for Playboy: The Mansion. Bleh.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

I loved Majesty too, but I would call it more of a "sim" than a RTS.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Dhruin wrote:Fantastic and massively underrated game. Words can't express how disappointed I am that Cyberlore put Majesty 2 on permanent hold for Playboy: The Mansion. Bleh.
For serious? I didn't know that. I guess when you have the chance to work with Playboy modesl or elves, Hef wins. :(

I'd put Majesty in my Top 10 games list.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I loved the idea of Majesty, more than the execution. The high concept was great. A sort of meta-game. I followed it's development quite a bit and the way the developers talked about the game was amazing.

I picked up the Northern Expansion for $5.00 and never even loaded it. What did it add to the game?

I'd still support games to come out that are outside the normal thinking mode, though. I am all about changes in the way we view video gaming. We are really putting ourselves in a rut, IMO. Brillaince in computer gaming does not come from waiting for the next incarnation of Duke Nuke em. It comes for the moment a game like Dungeon Keeper comes out, so I will buy all of the Black and Whites waiting for the next Populous or Sim City.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Ahem:

According to this Gamespot review of Medieval Conquest, we may have a modern successor.......

" Medieval Conquest is a bit like a tycoon strategy game--but with fantasy elements. In fact, it's very much like Cyberlore Studios' cult favorite, Majesty: The Fantasy Kingdom Sim, though developer Cat Daddy Games takes the innovative concept of that game and expands on it further."
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zekester wrote:Ahem:

According to this Gamespot review of Medieval Conquest, we may have a modern successor.......
And Amazon has it for $9.99. Never heard of it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Reed

Post by Reed »

LordMortis wrote:I loved the idea of Majesty, more than the execution. The high concept was great. A sort of meta-game. I followed it's development quite a bit and the way the developers talked about the game was amazing.

I picked up the Northern Expansion for $5.00 and never even loaded it. What did it add to the game?

I'd still support games to come out that are outside the normal thinking mode, though. I am all about changes in the way we view video gaming.
You should check out Children of the Nile if you haven't already. It has been likened to Majesty (Check out this review at GamesDomain) and pretty much turns city builders on their head.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Perhaps I should. It's not the city builders that attract me. It's the new idea for a game. Not making a square peg game is what gets my attention. Then I worry about if it's any good.
KiloOhm

Post by KiloOhm »

Smoove_B wrote:
Zekester wrote:Ahem:

And Amazon has it for $9.99. Never heard of it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846
I think it was either CGW / CGM that panned that game. I believe they said it was no where near as fun as majesty.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Don't bother with Medieval Conquest. I think there is a thread here at Console Gold or there was one at Gone Gold discussing it. It has the fatal flaw of requiring micromanagement, which defeats the purpose of the original Majesty that your adventurers had minds of their own and did what they wanted.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Micromanagement like in how?
That Gamespot review mentioned just having to keep them happy, but that they did what they wanted pretty much.

Looking at Gamerankings.com, the reviews do seem to be all over the place however.

But for $10 it's worth a shot. IMO
Name the 3 branches of the US Government: "Judicial, legislative....I can twerk"
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Zekester wrote:Micromanagement like in how?
That Gamespot review mentioned just having to keep them happy, but that they did what they wanted pretty much.

Looking at Gamerankings.com, the reviews do seem to be all over the place however.

But for $10 it's worth a shot. IMO
I tried the demo and from that it looks like you have to directly control your heros. From the little I played they are very stupid. If you have them run from point A to point B and they get attacked on the way, they keep going!

I didn't really give it much of a shot though, so it might be deeper then it looked to me.
gorham09

Post by gorham09 »

Zeke- See This Thread. I knew it was around here somewhere. But it boils down to pretty much what Fitzy said.
Zekester

Post by Zekester »

Thanks for the link, gorham.

I don't know where I was when that thread was started :shock: :?:

..and then it may even install starforce?
ehh, no thanks.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Majesty is awesome, great game... Definately in my top 10 list.