More Dominions III details.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

SuperHiro

More Dominions III details.

Post by SuperHiro »

Wargamer

In the newest issue of Shrapnel Games' email newsletter, Frag!, the developers at Illwinter offered up new details about the upcoming Dominions III (announcement), the fantasy strategy sequel to Dominions II (review). The first developer diary explains some of the important new changes planned for the sequel, but begins by noting that the game basics will not be changed significantly. The developers will begin by first addressing the previous game's accessibility (perhaps with a tutorial?) as well as incorporating suggestions from the game forums. Developer Kristoffer Osterman explained some of the more detailed changes in terse language:

"Morale system is remade. Perhaps we will be able to explain how it works now. Life drain altered, probably not for the last time. Shields parry instead of adding to prot and def. Strikes in head dangerous. Keep your helmet on. Insanity instead of feeblemindness in the void gate. Nation specific researchable spells and summons. Current unit count 1347. Thats 252 new ones. 17 new gods."
In addition to Osterman's comments, Johan Karlsson has been working on updating the battlefield graphics and updating the 3D engine, fixing some framerate issues, and adding graphical touches to weather effects and spells.

Dominions III is expected to be released sometime in late 2005.
Veloxi

Post by Veloxi »

Woohoo!
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

so long as the new 3D engine doesn't beef up the system requirements too much this may be the only PC game I buy in 2005.

can't wait!
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
yossar

Post by yossar »

Sounds more like a heavily modified Dom 2 (which was apparently just a heavily modified Dom 1) more than a whole new game. Which is exactly what I want.

Life drain was definitely overpowered in Dom 2 and more national spells and summons is always a good thing (as long as the game stays reasonably balanced). I definitely can't wait.

We'll have to get a game going when it comes out. (or a Dom 2 game while we're waiting if we could find enough people here. The last one back on Gonegold was pretty fun)
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

I wouldn't mind doing one. But my skills, which where mediocre to begin with have probably degraded into total shit. I know I had a Tien Chi SandA build that was pretty decent though.

But I'll probably piss everyone off because I'll miss a few turns here and there.
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

Awesome! I never picked up Dominions II because I already have to many games to play and I am short on cash anyways. If this one seems to be nearly as good I will definately be getting it though.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

SuperHiro wrote:I wouldn't mind doing one. But my skills, which where mediocre to begin with have probably degraded into total shit. I know I had a Tien Chi SandA build that was pretty decent though.

But I'll probably piss everyone off because I'll miss a few turns here and there.
Nah, just play with forced hosting set to 48 hours or so and get one of those nifty auto-emailer scripts to notify players when it's hosted.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

yossar wrote:We'll have to get a game going when it comes out. (or a Dom 2 game while we're waiting if we could find enough people here. The last one back on Gonegold was pretty fun)
I'd be interested in a laid back game... the GG Dom II games got a little "dramatic" at the end there... in a completely unfun way.

Oh and Dom III will definately be on the short list...
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

After being late to the Dom2 party, Dom3 will be an early (i.e., full-priced) pick up, especially if it's just MOTS. And super-especially if it means I'll get to get trounced in some OO pick-up games. :)

You win, Andrew.

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
SuperHiro

Post by SuperHiro »

Mr. Sparkle wrote: I'd be interested in a laid back game... the GG Dom II games got a little "dramatic" at the end there... in a completely unfun way.
But hella fun to read!
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

SuperHiro wrote:
Mr. Sparkle wrote: I'd be interested in a laid back game... the GG Dom II games got a little "dramatic" at the end there... in a completely unfun way.
But hella fun to read!
Yeah those game threads are one of the things that I wish survived the demise of GG... as Dom 2 is what got me from primarily lurker status on the old forums... it's funny how people can get so worked up about computer games. Ahhhh the scandalous Vampire Queens... good times, good times.

The first game which The Meal hosted was awesome, even though I sucked really bad at that point... everybody was pretty friendly in that game, even when they were being brutally stabbed in the back.

yossar

Post by yossar »

I wish I could better remember the games I played in here. The only people I remember playing with are Desmosenthes (sp I'm sure) and Andy (who always played Pangaea back then. Wonder if he's tried anything new yet). 'Twas fun, though.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

yossar wrote:I wish I could better remember the games I played in here. The only people I remember playing with are Desmosenthes (sp I'm sure) and Andy (who always played Pangaea back then. Wonder if he's tried anything new yet). 'Twas fun, though.
You were in the game I was talking about... but I was AhhhFresh then... it was you (as the Miasma lizard dudes), The Meal (as I Can't Remember), Storm-something ie Drama Queen (as the Abysians), me (as R'lyeh), and one other guy... who I can't recall... which is odd, since I spent the latter half of the game trying to beat him down (ineffectually).

First MP Dom II game that I ever played... still have a WordPerfect file with the first 8 turns dutifully recorded in detail, before I gave up on the idea of ever doing an AAR.

That game was where I learned how crappy my mid to late game was. A flaw, that I never really corrected. :D

yossar

Post by yossar »

Was The Meal playing Marignon in that? Vanheim was also in the game.

That Stormbinder guy was pretty annoying (and in an unrelated story managed to get himself banned from the official Dominions 2 forums) but most of my verbal sparring with him was just theater. I wouldn't really want to play with him again, but it's not like I actually got angry.

In my first Gonegold game I went at Treebeard a bit too (whatever happened to that guy?) but that was all in good fun (at least I hope that's how he took it).

I just enjoy trash-talking and hope that most people don't take it seriously.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

yossar wrote:Was The Meal playing Marignon in that? Vanheim was also in the game.

That Stormbinder guy was pretty annoying (and in an unrelated story managed to get himself banned from the official Dominions 2 forums) but most of my verbal sparring with him was just theater. I wouldn't really want to play with him again, but it's not like I actually got angry.

In my first Gonegold game I went at Treebeard a bit too (whatever happened to that guy?) but that was all in good fun (at least I hope that's how he took it).

I just enjoy trash-talking and hope that most people don't take it seriously.
Ah, Vanhiem, right... I couldn't remember, except that they vexed me to no end.

It was theater to all of us, I hope. What attracts me to the MP aspect vs. playing the AI (beyond competition) is the interaction.

Backstabbing, Posturing, Manipulation, etc... are all what makes a game of this type interesting against actual real opponents. Why anyone would take such things personally is beyond me.

I'm starting to get more and more interested in a Dom II game... might be time for a "Multiplayer" post... I wonder who we could round up? My "skills" such as they ever were, have seriously deteriorated.

yossar

Post by yossar »

I'd like to play and wouldn't mind hosting except last time I tried, it didn't work. I hosted a game a long time ago but when I tried recently it kept going down and people had problems connecting. So finding a reliable computer to host on might be an issue.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I'm getting credit I don't deserve. I never did manage to do any Dom2 MP, let alone host a game. I'll fix that for Dom3, however. :)

~Neal
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

The Meal wrote:I'm getting credit I don't deserve. I never did manage to do any Dom2 MP, let alone host a game. I'll fix that for Dom3, however. :)
Huh... I was *sure* it was you who hosted it. Ah well, killing brain cells can't be good for memory....