HoI Platinum

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tgb

HoI Platinum

Post by tgb »

I've been hearing how much Hearts of Iron (a game I could never get my my mind around, for some reason) has improved with the latest patches, and with the imminent release of HoI 2, plus a burning desire to play something new, I picked up HoI Platinum today.

Gotta say the new manual makes a big difference in making the game understandable. Given Paradox's track record, I expect it to take a few patches for HoI II to reach it's potential, so I want to stick with this for a while. So here's my question:

Is there a good strategy guide available somewhere on line? It would still be a big help, even as improved as the manual may be.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

You probably should have waited a few weeks for HoI2. The interface is MUCH improved.
CSL

Post by CSL »

Hearts of Iron is rapidly becoming one of my favorite games of all time (Move over Civilization 2). But everything I have seen regarding HoI2 is that it will be monumentally better, from research to battle (esp. naval! Wooooo engagement ranges and actual importance of carriers!).

Also I haven't really seen any strategy guides to HoI, you can pick up most things via the Paradox forums. Reading AARs and such.

If your up for some multi sometime just ask.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I've no doubt that HoI II will be a vast improvement, but given Paradox's history, I expect it to be several months and several patches after release for it to be a worthwhile purchase. That's why, for $20, I decided to go back to the original.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:I've no doubt that HoI II will be a vast improvement, but given Paradox's history, I expect it to be several months and several patches after release for it to be a worthwhile purchase. That's why, for $20, I decided to go back to the original.
History would indicate otherwise. EU2 was much better out of the box than EU was after many patches.
Vinda-Lou

Post by Vinda-Lou »

What is the fun:learning curve ratio? I'm very interested in this game, have been for a while, but it just seems too daunting. I would love to play this game but I don't know. How complicated is it compared to the turn-based world map of RomeTW?
CSL

Post by CSL »

Jeff V wrote:
tgb wrote:I've no doubt that HoI II will be a vast improvement, but given Paradox's history, I expect it to be several months and several patches after release for it to be a worthwhile purchase. That's why, for $20, I decided to go back to the original.
History would indicate otherwise. EU2 was much better out of the box than EU was after many patches.
In addition all signs from beta-testers say this will be the most stable Paradox release to date.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Vinda-Lou wrote:What is the fun:learning curve ratio? I'm very interested in this game, have been for a while, but it just seems too daunting. I would love to play this game but I don't know. How complicated is it compared to the turn-based world map of RomeTW?
HoI2 will be easier to get into than the first game, thanks to the much-improved tech tree. As far as learning curve goes, YMMV. RTW had zero learning curve for me (I had played the other TW games). In the HoI games, you can play any country, including very small ones - playing, say, Germany or England right off the bat might be overwhelming, but Czechoslovakia or Australia, for instance, might be a good way to learn the game mechanics without too much going on at once.

tgb: FYI, I've played both HoI Platinum and HoI2 (beta as of about 2 months ago). I'm sticking with my recommendation of HoI2, which will be out the first week of January.
tgb

Post by tgb »

tgb: FYI, I've played both HoI Platinum and HoI2 (beta as of about 2 months ago). I'm sticking with my recommendation of HoI2, which will be out the first week of January
And realisticly I'll probably succomb to the OO effect and buy it early on if it's as stable and bug-free as you indicate. But I was looking for something new TODAY, not a month from now, so I thought this was a good way to get back into it.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

It is a good way. Also, when you pick up HoI 2 it'll be that much easier to get going in it.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Gwar21

Post by Gwar21 »

There's a new HOI coming soon?! :shock: Nooooooo! I haven't even played the first one yet, it's still sitting quietly in my backlog. They can't do this to me! I'm not ready!
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

The Wargamer.com has some articles on how to get into the game.