Matrix Online

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Buatha

Matrix Online

Post by Buatha »

Is anyone in the beta for this game?

I'm pretty skeptical of this particular MMORPG since I didn't think there was much content for a game, but I would like to see a non-fantasy MMORPG that doesn't suck.

I wonder what the mission types will be:

Slacker, you will need to don your best leather trenchcoat and shades to rid us of the menance known as Windoze. Please take this:

Virus (Rank: Script Kiddie)

Secondary Objective: Look Cool.
DiscoJason

Post by DiscoJason »

I predict a move to unreleased games.

I tried the beta (was invited a couple of months ago) and just couldn't really figure out what the heck was going on. It was very unintuitive at the time, though maybe that is better now.
Reed

Post by Reed »

The biggest flop since Sims Online. You heard it here first. ;)
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

This is going to be a huge, huge, HUGE pile of suck.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
knob

Post by knob »

In before move..

I've played beta. I agree with everyone here. It's a flop.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
docvego

Post by docvego »

I can hear the huge sucking sound of the developer's investment going down the tubes already.
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

I traded a WOW account for a beta spot in MXO. Worst trade ever, and these guys are right, this will be a giant flop.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Thinking further, what do you think the odds are that it won't even make it to release? The Matrix is practically ancient history by now -- they should have released it last year if they wanted to make money. I can't imagine there is much demand for it at this point.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

This belongs in the unreleased games forum. I'm moving it there now.
AttAdude

Post by AttAdude »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Thinking further, what do you think the odds are that it won't even make it to release? The Matrix is practically ancient history by now -- they should have released it last year if they wanted to make money. I can't imagine there is much demand for it at this point.
I think it will prolly see release. The game is not that far from being "done" as it stands. It needs some more work dont get me wrong, but i think that have passed the point where its farther to go back than to go forward.
AttAdude
When confronted with offensive TV, the fundamental differences between the Conservative and liberal factions becomes blatantly obvious. Conservatives will piss and moan, then file a complaint with the FCC in an attempt to make sure the offending show is never seen by anyone. Liberals... well we just change the damn channel.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

It also depends on whether they'll get the missions in as they planned, which is a little unlikely since they're new to the whole MMO business.
Al

Poor, poor Lester.

Post by Al »

I'm still betting on it being canned. How much does an MMO launch cost?
Noman

Post by Noman »

Matrix online is on cover of Jan 2005 issue of CGW. Few things I remember from the article

+ The game will be played in the matrix. Interesting comment by a developer who said that with this online game, the fact that players can appear out of thin air (when logging in) will be consistent with the world and setting.

+ The story continues from the end of Matrix: Revolutions. Three factions will be fighting for power in the matrix world - the humans from Zion, machines and rogue agents (like that French guy)

+ Game changing events and story progression will happen periodically through the use of cutscenes. All story updates will be considered "official" Matrix updates. For example, one popular character from the movies will die within few weeks of launch (the article also gives a hint by mentioning four possible characters) starting one of the major quests.

+ Completion of some story progressing quests may only be attributed to one online player ever (may be, per server)

+ The players can't fly like Neo :)

I don't remember a lot of details about the gameplay as those are also the things I am least interested in (I have never played an MMORPG because of the monthly fee - can't wait for Guild Wars). I read the article mostly to figure out what they are doing with the Matrix story/setting.
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

Noman wrote:(I have never played an MMORPG because of the monthly fee - can't wait for Guild Wars).
AMEN!