Out of the Park Baseball 6: GGNL Needs An Owner

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Asharak

Out of the Park Baseball 6: GGNL Needs An Owner

Post by Asharak »

It's that most opportune of times again. The GGNL has an opening for a new owner. NoxiousDog has taken over commishing the GGOOTP league now, as well as running his own HCL, and understandably no longer has time to run his team in the GGNL, so we're in need of a replacement.

Rookies or seasoned players are equally welcome, despite the fact that the league was formed for new players and retains that element to it's name. We're more than happy to help teach any first-time players the ropes - or go straight for your jugular if you bring a wealth of experience to the table and want a challenge. ;)

The league's website is the place to start if you're interested in joining the league. You can find the full league rules there, as well as an abbreviated FAQ that should answer most of the more important questions you'd have before joining, without bogging you down in minutia. If you do have any questions, feel free to ask them here or on our league forum; myself or any other owner will be happy to answer them.

In short, the GGNL is a fictional league (both cities and players are fictional) that's currently in it's 6th season (2008), with a light 3-sim-per-week schedule and a heavy focus on fun over realism (while the vast majority of MLB rules emulated, we have chosen to drop some of the more technical or impractical ones).

The available team is 133770\/\/|\|, and while it's currently 4th in its division, Nox's excellent leadership has brought the team a long way from where it was, and has it almost ready for a youthful revival that could very well catapult them to the top of the standings quite soon. Oh, and as far as the team name is concerned: (1) telling me what it means is the skill-testing question before you can win your prize ;), and (2) whoever takes over the team is welcome to rename it to something more - or less - normal.

If you are interested in joining the league, feel free to communicate with me either through the PM feature here, my e-mail (asharak@gmail.com), or the league's official e-mail, (ggnewbie@yahoo.com).

- Ash
gellar

Post by gellar »

Anyone changes that team name and they answer to me.

Also, Ashyboy... the GGNL website has been down all day.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I guess we're all retarded except you Gellar." - Kobra
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Crux

Post by Crux »

Thank god gellar isn't at all scary eh?
Lee

Post by Lee »

If someone would please change the name I will give them my best one blue starrookie!
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

That team name pissed me off and I was already leaving the league before that. :)

Still though, it's a good, fun league. Gellar talks tough, but he's really just a little asian teddy bear on the inside.
gellar

Post by gellar »

If that team name changes, prepare for the Marina Del Rey Haxx0rz to replace them.

gellar
OMGHI2U
"I'm already doomed to the seventh level of hell. If you think I wouldn't kill a person of my choosing for $50 mil, you obviously have no clue just how expensive my taste in shoes really is." - setaside
#gonegold brutesquad
Lee

Post by Lee »

gellar wrote:If that team name changes, prepare for the Marina Del Rey Haxx0rz to replace them.

gellar
Ash, I would like to submit a new rule. Only new teams can change their names. :)
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

The website (which I knew was down) is back up now, for anyone who was wondering...

And Lee, I'm afraid that rule wouldn't fly. I think all we can do is appeal to gellar's good taste, sound judgment, and moral clarity to spare from such an abomination.

In other words, we're screwed.

- Ash
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I thought Gellar was a commish. CAn't he do anything he wants? And sorry about leaving. It is a very well run league and I wish I could have stayed. However, 4 hours of OOTP in a weekend is quite enough.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
gellar

Post by gellar »

noxiousdog wrote:I thought Gellar was a commish. CAn't he do anything he wants? And sorry about leaving. It is a very well run league and I wish I could have stayed. However, 4 hours of OOTP in a weekend is quite enough.
I get no respect :(
OMGHI2U
#gonegold brutesquad
Grievous Angel

Post by Grievous Angel »

In spite of what you've read here, the GGNL is a very well-run league. Don't let the antics of the commissioner-and-a-half here sway you. :)
gellar

Post by gellar »

Grievous Angel wrote:In spite of what you've read here, the GGNL is a very well-run league. Don't let the antics of the commissioner-and-a-half here sway you. :)
Shush you, we're "recruiting."

gellar
OMGHI2U
#gonegold brutesquad
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Definitely a fun league. There are a total of 20 teams, of which 8 make the post-season (so you're in the hunt for much longer than in some other leagues). The owner group is a blast and there is a lot of new content appearing on the front page of the site (detailed statstical break downs of teams/divisions/players, personality-driven content, etc.). Only having 19 other teams in the league means that you'll get to know your fellow owners that much more quickly.

League rules are set up to maximize fun and minimize lawyer-mongering. Both Asharak and Gellar do a great job of arbitrating the few issues that come up and making sure everything is fair for everyone involved.

Involvement can be as little as a half-hour (total) or so a week (broken up in to three separate days) to as much as you care to invest (pouring over statistics, generating content for the rest of the league's enjoyment, etc.). We've got some total OOTP newbies in the league and some long-standing online OOTP vets in the mix.

There are no dominant teams in the league (although, ironically, Boston has won the past two League Championships) and Leettown is certainly not out of contention for the long-haul. Heck, I came on board last year and took the team with the fewest victories in league history (one that had been on cruise-control for a long stretch) and ended up winning on of the divisions with some cagey free-agency acquisitions (and a bunch of luck). Part of the fun in this league is the fact that no one team (or blocks of teams) are so dominant that you know how things are going to pan out before you even play. And the rules are set up to ensure that this is the case long-term.

This is the most fun I've had playing OOTP. If you're interested, check out the league website (and especially the forum) to get a feel for the personalities involved. And please promise me that if you do take the team over, you'll change that horrific name! :)

~Neal
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Lee

Post by Lee »

The Meal wrote:This is the most fun I've had playing OOTP.
You are talking about the GGNL? A league started by Kelric and continued by Ash?! (I could mention Gellar as the co-commish, but does he actually do anything?) You need to quit drinking at work Meal. :D
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Believe me when I say that I was more shocked than anybody!

~Neal
gellar

Post by gellar »

Lee wrote:
The Meal wrote:This is the most fun I've had playing OOTP.
You are talking about the GGNL? A league started by Kelric and continued by Ash?! (I could mention Gellar as the co-commish, but does he actually do anything?) You need to quit drinking at work Meal. :D
I provide spiritual guidance to my younger co-commishes :).

gellar
OMGHI2U
#gonegold brutesquad
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

The Meal wrote: There are no dominant teams in the league (although, ironically, Boston has won the past two League Championships)
Ah yes, Boston. I loved that team. <sniffle> :cry:
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Kelric wrote:
Ah yes... Boston... I hate that team.

(Beat me in game 7 of the World Series last year.) :wink:
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Baroquen wrote:
Kelric wrote:
Ah yes... Boston... I hate that team.

(Beat me in game 7 of the World Series last year.) :wink:
Me too.

(And me in game 7 of the opening round of the playoffs.) ;)

~Neal