So I just finished Unreal II

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jonsauce

So I just finished Unreal II

Post by jonsauce »

I'm wondering what everyone hated about this game. Maybe I liked it because I spent $2.50 on it (Thanks to EB's sale on used games). It wasn't the second coming on FPS's but it was a pretty fun game overall.
If it really did come out in early 2003 (I don't remember for sure) then the graphics are very well done. The missions are varied enough that none of it got old. The AI wasn't revolutionary but it was decent. I enjoyed the story and learning about my crew members. I was sad about how things turned out in the end. Not because the story was bad but because I thought it was good for a FPS.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I think the thing was, it did a lot of things well, but nothing was really extraordinary.

Everything worked, but also everything was just normal, huge plot holes in the story too. Like why these priceless and powerful artifacts are being stored on your junkheap ship when it could be stored in a military capship.

However, the biggest problem, I think, was the pacing. It just wasn't there.
CeeKay

Post by CeeKay »

The single player Unreals have always felt 'meh' to me. Sure, they re gorgeous but I had to force myself into finishing them. The Unreal Tournaments, however, are games I can play over and over.
CeeKay has left the building. See him exclusively at Gaming Trend!
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

I love Unreal 1, but more for its atmosphere than overall gameplay. I've mucked around with U2 a bit, will check it out at more length.
knob

Post by knob »

I liked Unreal 2. My only major complaint that stops me from picking it up again (I never finished it) was when I was playing it, I had a lower end system, and the load times were horrendous because of it.

It wasn't anything special. It didn't live up to the hype I had for it. But I still enjoyed it. The flamethrower alone was worth it.

In fact, now that I have a new system, I almost want to install it again thanks to this thread.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Faldarian

Post by Faldarian »

I liked it quite a bit myself... the characters were interesting, and there was enough story to drive the game through to the end. I thought the ending sucked, but more because it didn't end how I'd have wanted it to than anything else.

There were some pretty cool missions in it that I liked to go back and play for a while after, like the one where you move with your squad from the crash zone awaiting pickup by your ship. The one where you have to set up a defensive perimeter while they repair the ship was a lot of fun too.
Windows95

Post by Windows95 »

I think the two big problems were the hype and requirements. I think it was CGW that said Unreal 2 would change gaming as we know it forever (nope) and even on my then decent GeForce3 the game would chug when you had more then a few baddies on screen. Load times were also pretty brutal iirc.

I'm also however kind of tempted to give it a second shot. With a system it should now run well on and realistic expectations, it might be pretty fun considering how cheap it is now.
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I can understand not finding the game fun if you had really high expectations for it. Expectations can ruin a good or even great game unfortunately. Even Half Life 2 has people that don't like the game because they had such high expectations.

I'm sure that the fact I went into it thinking it was going to be one of the worst PC games ever made helped me enjoy it when I found it to be an above average shooter :)
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Ripstar

Post by Ripstar »

I really liked the game and it ran very well for me.

I had no complaints with the game level presentation, voice talent, controls, graphics etc. I thought all were excellant.

I only have two complaints.

1) Hated the ending, unless in U3 they fix it. If there is a U3.

2) Loved the ship, it was a huge apparently interactive environment, except you could not interact with much of it. It would have been nice to have and interactive cpu screen in your room. Something to do after you went below decks. So much missed opportunity for creating a real living ship/home base feel.

SPOILER ALERT.........

They put a lot of work into developing the crew personalities and gave the player a good feeling that he was really developing a team. To kill them all off in the end was just plain stupid.
You can run, but you'll just die tired.