Europa 1400 Gold verdict?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Scanner

Europa 1400 Gold verdict?

Post by Scanner »

I know there was a lot of controversy surrounding Europa 1400 Gold on GGF, but those threads are long gone.

Does anyone remember the final consensus on this game? Is anyone still playing it?
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

I picked up the gold edition early this year and played it for over 40 hours before shelving it. I shelved it because I decided I should play some other games that I had. I enjoyed my play time with it.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I found my still-shrink-wrapped copy while rummaging through a box last weekend. I wonder if it's worth the effort to open?
hodge313

Post by hodge313 »

Well I paid 20 bucks for it and played it for roughly 30 hours before becoming bored and moving on---so I got my money's worth. (My rule is 1 hour for every buck a game costs=good value for the money. As you can guess I rarely buy games at full price. :wink: )
Rhett

Post by Rhett »

I really enjoyed it, thought it was a great game. Well worth the time and money (and I bought it at full price).
Spock's Brain

Post by Spock's Brain »

[plaintive voice] When is the final patch for the original version version coming out? [/plaintive voice]. :P
dfs

Post by dfs »

Scanner....

Don't know how much you remember.

Those of us in the states who supported the original version never got a final patch.

The gold version is the original plus the expansion pack released in english. Buying the gold version is the only way to get the expansion pack. (Same thing happened with silent storm. It makes for an interesting choice for those of us interested in marginal games. That's another topic)

My understanding is that the expansion pack adds in a couple of professions, but doesn't really change or fix the game.

Now...final verdict time....Europa is what I call an interesting failure. It's a lot like playing a medieval version of the sims. It's fascinating and very different than most games on the shelf, but it has a limited appeal. Good for....10-15 hours of gameplay. You will love the parts that work, curse the parts that are broken and think..."gosh with a little polish, this could have been one of those games that stayed on my hard drive forever." Then you will delete and play something else.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I never tried the Gold version, but the original has enough bugs to make it a distraction. I still probably enjoyed the game for 10 or 15 hours. There is no longevity in game play, tough. It's more of a sim that you watch and help until you get bored (or distracted by bugs) than it is a game.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Even with the bugs, the original was great. I can't remember the last game I spent so much time on. The amount of time I spent on the original is what is keeping me from buying the expansion. I know the game too well to spend more money on just a few more professions.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

It is one of the games I so hardly wanted to play, but got so pi**** of the bugs that I had to quit. That was in Multiplayer, singleplayer worked decent and with later patches OK.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
goldenember

Post by goldenember »

I bought the gold version when it first came out and I am still playing it. My only real complaint is that its too addicting - it keeps pulling me away from other games I should be playing. :P
Jancelot

Post by Jancelot »

I played the original and had a blast with it. I decided to put it on hold to wait for the patch so that I could access all the features. Still waiting...
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

Jancelot wrote:I played the original and had a blast with it. I decided to put it on hold to wait for the patch so that I could access all the features. Still waiting...
Isn't the Gold version the game with the patch + expansion?
jonsauce

Post by jonsauce »

Isn't the Gold version the game with the patch + expansion?
Yup.
Now Playing:

WoW (PC)
LotRO (PC)
GH2 (360)