Question about Rogue-like games

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Peacedog wrote:Something gave me leprosy (I believe it was? It went down hill quickly. Sigh. Hopping around on one arm/leg just wasn't enough (but dammit, people still feared me and my whip).
zombies can and will do that to you...
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Indeed, I'd sort of forgotten one of the important truths of the game:

"Never fight a prologned engagement with a zombie."

Right htere behind "Never face a sicilian when death is one the line!", in fact.

I'm bummed there's no active developmnent right now and the source isn't in pristine condition. This game has far too much potential to cease development right now IMO.

LordMortis, Crossfire is intruiging. I'd play if someone hre put up a sever, as it is I'll be playing elsewhere. During lunch I downloaded the client and finished most of the newbie house in the warrior town. One death.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Peacedog wrote:LordMortis, Crossfire is intruiging. I'd play if someone hre put up a sever, as it is I'll be playing elsewhere. During lunch I downloaded the client and finished most of the newbie house in the warrior town. One death.
Death at the beginning is painful with the loss of stats that have to be restored. However going back in a collecting your tombstone is fun.

I'd reset up the server but as I said, it's going to be spoken for soon. I had fun with the game. I never really got that far and trying to figure out where is a wise place to go is not always fun as everything you fight tends to be in large mobs. I've only ever played with one friend. I think it would be cool to see how chaotic a party other three to five players would be in a roguelike. The biggest bummer for this one in particular is that there is no real goal. No quests. No end game. But the world is huge and keeps growing as it is kind of the essence of the goal of design in Linux. When last I played (3 years ago) all of the Windows clients were still sloppy/quirky. If you enjoy the game but hate (can't fully figure out) the interface you might want to try another.

Right now I'm still caught on Helherron. I haven't even made it to the main town yet. I'm still doing the Abandoned Castle.
yossar

Post by yossar »

I hate dungeoncrawl. I ran into something I've never seen before on Level 6 or 7. There was an orange statue on the screen and I kept getting messages that a strange force was attacking my brain and eventually I died of stupidity. WTF? Stupid game...

I was trying different builds and the only one I've ever had success with is a dwarf fighter. Any type of mage seems to easy to one-shot kill.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

JEez, crossfire is annoying me. I can't figure out how to get stuff ID'd, or to get a cursed item removed.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

yossar wrote:I hate dungeoncrawl. I ran into something I've never seen before on Level 6 or 7. There was an orange statue on the screen and I kept getting messages that a strange force was attacking my brain and eventually I died of stupidity. WTF? Stupid game...

I was trying different builds and the only one I've ever had success with is a dwarf fighter. Any type of mage seems to easy to one-shot kill.
It's been awhile so I can't say what specifically the problem was (and my brain is, by default, to Zangband geared). But unless you are a very experienced player rapid diving can be hazardous to your health. You might have been under attack from something invisible. Also, there's probably a resist out there to cover whatever it is that you were being attacked by. It may be that by level 6 or 7, you need to start looking for an item with that resist.

But it's also probably dumb luck.
Ginnylady

Post by Ginnylady »

yossar wrote:I hate dungeoncrawl. I ran into something I've never seen before on Level 6 or 7. There was an orange statue on the screen and I kept getting messages that a strange force was attacking my brain and eventually I died of stupidity. WTF? Stupid game...

Yossar,
This is my first time playing DC. I am playing a Dark Elf Wizard. I'm using the game that has neat tiles rather than asii 'graphics'.
The first 3 or 4 games I played quickly and without much care and died quickly. Finally, I decided to be more careful: to move slowly, to 'fight smart', to thoroughly explore each level before going to the next and to ask questions on the Newgroup if I had them---like about gods, religion etc. (The Newgroup people are very supportive/helpful in responding to questions.)
I am now level 7. After level 2, nothing came even close to a one-shot kill. I have a nice arsenal of offensive and defensive spells and am really enjoying the game! I think I am on level 6 of the dungeon.
Best
Ginny
yossar

Post by yossar »

It was either the statue attacking me (I've never seen a statue in dungeoncrawl before) or something invisible. I just had never seen something that kills you by draining your intelligence before. Not sure what I was supposed to do since I died before I could get next to the statue. I also try to completely clear every level before moving down.

Ginny, making it to level 6 with a Dark Elf Wizard is pretty good, in my experience. I think you only really run into problems when you start encountering a lot of enemies with ranged attacks. There are ways to deal, but one wrong move or a bit of bad luck and it's really easy to die.
Ginnylady

Post by Ginnylady »

yossar wrote:It was either the statue attacking me (I've never seen a statue in dungeoncrawl before) or something invisible. I just had never seen something that kills you by draining your intelligence before. Not sure what I was supposed to do since I died before I could get next to the statue. I also try to completely clear every level before moving down.

Ginny, making it to level 6 with a Dark Elf Wizard is pretty good, in my experience. I think you only really run into problems when you start encountering a lot of enemies with ranged attacks. There are ways to deal, but one wrong move or a bit of bad luck and it's really easy to die.
Sorry Yossar. I have a DEEP Elf Wizard. Not Dark Elf.
Best
Ginny
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I wanted to thank those here that have contributed to this wonderful thread. I have loved roguelikes since I played.. well.. rogue in the 80's. Since then I've mostly played moria and nethack.

I also wanted to thank Ginnylady for posting info about the tiled version of dungeoncrawl. I'm playing that version now and the graphics are wonderful.

After some abortive quick deaths at the hands of the likes of Jessica and Sigmund on lvl 2, I now have a level 5 human wizard going strong. I've killed 2 named mobs now and, so far, I'm really loving this version.

Why is it that a game like this will hold my attention so much longer than a game like Oblivion does? Graphical glitz only goes so far with me I guess. That and I love the sheer randomness. You never know what cool thing you'll get or run into next. :D
Ginnylady

Post by Ginnylady »

ColdSteel wrote:I wanted to thank those here that have contributed to this wonderful thread. I have loved roguelikes since I played.. well.. rogue in the 80's. Since then I've mostly played moria and nethack.

I also wanted to thank Ginnylady for posting info about the tiled version of dungeoncrawl. I'm playing that version now and the graphics are wonderful.

After some abortive quick deaths at the hands of the likes of Jessica and Sigmund on lvl 2, I now have a level 5 human wizard going strong. I've killed 2 named mobs now and, so far, I'm really loving this version.

Why is it that a game like this will hold my attention so much longer than a game like Oblivion does? Graphical glitz only goes so far with me I guess. That and I love the sheer randomness. You never know what cool thing you'll get or run into next. :D
You are welcome!
For me, this game is INFINITELY BETTER than Oblivion. Oh, I tried SO hard to like Oblivion because everyone seemed to rave about it. (Until I logged onto Codex, that is.) Oblvion was a real loser, for me.
It isn't even close. I sold it on Ebay.
"Graphic glitz" no longer goes anywhere with me.
:)
It's the gameplay and enjoyability that count.
Best Regards
Ginny
yossar

Post by yossar »

Has anyone ever beaten dungeoncrawl? I made it pretty deep (~level 20? doing most of the side dungeons) with a dwarven fighter (I think) but got sent to the Abyss and couldn't make it out.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Not me! :D I'm only on level 10 right now. My mage is level 11 and I'm trying to not go any lower than my character lvl is. It's tough enough as it is. I sure wish I could find a book with some healing spells in it, would sure come in handy.

Anybody know where all the gold is in dungeoncrawl? I've found two stores so far but can't buy anything because I only have 91 gold and everything costs 200-500 GP. I've only found a handful of gold so far in 10 levels. What am I missing?
yossar

Post by yossar »

Have you been to the orc mines? Generally a lot of gold in there.

Getting a mage to level 11 is pretty good. I wonder if there's something I'm doing wrong since I've only ever done that once or twice.
Gichin

Post by Gichin »

I have played some Angband and Tome, enjoyed both. Never finished either ....

Played a bit of Nethack, kept getting wasted real quick lol.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Just found the entrance to the orcish mines on level 11, so I'm about to go there now. :D

I actually have a bit of cash now because I found a treasure vault on level 10. I tunneled into it by using a wand of digging and wow did the mobs boil out. I killed them off one by one by casting spells and blinking when they got too close. I had to run up some stairs to the previous level a bunch of times to recharge hit points and mana. Eventually I killed them all and got a bunch of gold in the vault along with a crystal ball and a black box. The black box contains a summoned creature that will fight for you but I have no idea what the crystal ball does. It just gives me a weird message when I use it. Anybody know what that's for?

I became a worshipper of Vehumet a goodly while back and am now up to the "priest" level. He gives me extra destructive power when I kill in his name (pray during battle) so that helps out a lot. I have a variety of potions, scrolls and wands which I save for tough situations. Those have saved my bacon many times. I also have a staff of Wizardry, which greatly increases my spellcasting and I have pumped my Int up to 22 so far. I have a flaming +1 +1 shortsword which I use for the close-up wetwork (I switch between that and the staff of wizardry by using the ' key, but you need to re-order your weapons to the a and b keys first using = to do that). I have a ring of preserve attributes and an amulet of clarity which both come in very handy. All in all, my wizard has been able to handle anything that has come along so far. If something is too tough, I blink, kite and run find a place to heal and mana up, then come back to fight again. The nice thing is that it's turn based so you can really think out your strategy and tactics for the battles. No diablo-like, "oh crap, click-click clickty-click stuff). :twisted:
yossar

Post by yossar »

Ugh, my level 7 spriggan warper just starved to death :(
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Just finished the 4 levels of Orcish Mines and found a ton of gold down there.

There was a shop on the 4th level of the Mines so I bought some spellbooks. Now I have selective amnesia and controlled blink. :D

Also there on level 4, I saw an entrance to the first level of the Elvish Halls so I stuck my nose in there. I killed about 10 elves but they are heavy magic users and that's just a very tough place. So, I left it until later. I figure I can always come back.

There's no food in the orcish mines so I've been living on chunks of dead orcs for a while. I have to say, the more I play Crawl, the more it grabs me.

How are you doing with it, Ginnylady?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ginnylady wrote:I'm havng a lot of fun playing Dungeon Crawl.
The version I am playing has nice nice tiles---clear, simple, and rather colorful. To me, easier on the eyes than pure ascii.
There are 26 races and 23 classes to shoose from.

http://crawlj.sourceforge.jp/down_e.html
I haven't played a rogue-like since I was a lab ass(istant) in college way back in the old days (90-93), played a lot of nethack in the unix labs and moria in the VAX labs. When I say a lot I mean entire 4-8 hour shifts... I DLed the linked version of dungeon crawl yesterday and played for several hours... lots of fun. The only think I miss from NH is my puppy. My computer doesn't overheat when playing either! ;)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Thanks guys. I had put my NetHack addiction behind me for awhile.

Now for the entire weekend, I was alternating between Dungeon Crawl and Angband.

I forget if it was mentioned, but if you get Dungeon Crawl, you really owe it to yourself to get the Travel's Patch. Get it here.

It adds a lot of really helpful UI features (like the ability to autotravel to places you've already visited), but does not contain any spoilers or other cheats. It really improves a great game even further in my opinion.

Dungeon Crawl is interesting. Survivability in all of these games seem to be changed pretty radically by your character selection. The newsgroups suggest that Crawl is incredibly difficult. Numerous posts discuss how 80% or so of characters never make it past first level, and how getting to second level is vitally important.

Yet I have played only Hill Dwarf Fighters so far (about 4 of them), and have never had a single one die at first level. In fact, I'd say they've been averaging about 5 levels, and that seems primarily because of the initial "feeling out" period for the game. My current one is at level 8 and going pretty strong.

Angband is also fascinating. So far it really feels like a "management" game. You can buy so many more things from the town, that the game feels less risky and more operational. It seems like you really kill yourself in Angband, by being overly agressive. So far, I have almost always had time to retreat and retool. Particularly because the levels regenerate, you can go back and restock on things if you burn your escape tools to escape an encounter, for example. It's the first game of this type I have seen, for example, where from the very first level you can buy teleport scrolls (and in quanity) to duck out of trouble. It's really a management and efficiency game at heart it seems.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Slyfrog wrote:Angband is also fascinating. So far it really feels like a "management" game. You can buy so many more things from the town, that the game feels less risky and more operational. It seems like you really kill yourself in Angband, by being overly agressive. So far, I have almost always had time to retreat and retool. Particularly because the levels regenerate, you can go back and restock on things if you burn your escape tools to escape an encounter, for example. It's the first game of this type I have seen, for example, where from the very first level you can buy teleport scrolls (and in quanity) to duck out of trouble. It's really a management and efficiency game at heart it seems.
Angband has other ways to get you to make up for the town. Zangband triply so. In fact, Zangband with multiple towns, + town quests, only seems easier at first but in reality it's harder. Once you attempt to get past stat gain, things start getting hellacious. Also, you can't exactly stock up on teleport/blink scrolls with ease from the start. They're not inconsequential in price. Basically, fi you get down into the teens ok, you can generally afford to be running with plenty of low to medium power healing items + all necessary scrolls at all times. A nd it's easier to keep items "shiny" with more frequent enchant access. But, that doesn't make the game easier by any stretch (again, at least with Zang).

That said, I always had much more Zangband experience than Angband. And I'm not as up to date on where Angband is in the difficulty heirarchy, but that I believe it's supposed to be easier than Zang. Not sure what that means relative to a "survival" based game like Crawl/Nethack, etc.
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

Peacedog wrote:
Slyfrog wrote:Angband is also fascinating. So far it really feels like a "management" game. You can buy so many more things from the town, that the game feels less risky and more operational. It seems like you really kill yourself in Angband, by being overly agressive. So far, I have almost always had time to retreat and retool. Particularly because the levels regenerate, you can go back and restock on things if you burn your escape tools to escape an encounter, for example. It's the first game of this type I have seen, for example, where from the very first level you can buy teleport scrolls (and in quanity) to duck out of trouble. It's really a management and efficiency game at heart it seems.
Angband has other ways to get you to make up for the town. Zangband triply so. In fact, Zangband with multiple towns, + town quests, only seems easier at first but in reality it's harder. Once you attempt to get past stat gain, things start getting hellacious. Also, you can't exactly stock up on teleport/blink scrolls with ease from the start. They're not inconsequential in price. Basically, fi you get down into the teens ok, you can generally afford to be running with plenty of low to medium power healing items + all necessary scrolls at all times. A nd it's easier to keep items "shiny" with more frequent enchant access. But, that doesn't make the game easier by any stretch (again, at least with Zang).

That said, I always had much more Zangband experience than Angband. And I'm not as up to date on where Angband is in the difficulty heirarchy, but that I believe it's supposed to be easier than Zang. Not sure what that means relative to a "survival" based game like Crawl/Nethack, etc.
Oh yeah, I wouldn't want to cross over to the point of saying all risk is easily managed if you just make the effort. But you can, for example, pick up a phase door scroll (generally at the price of about 1/4 to 1/5 of your starting income). This will allow you to pop away and generally survive most initial "bad" encounters by heading up the stairs and regenerating the level. Likewise, for the same 1/4 to 1/5 of your starting income, you can buy a shovel or pick, which allows you to mine quartz and pretty quickly get your money back and start building up a purchase fund.

That's what I meant by management; in NetHack, for example, there are shops, but it is not nearly as easy to buy an "early level survival kit" as it seems to be in Angband. Basically, you buy some extra armor, a lamp, an escape scroll, and a shovel to mine when you first start, and then you build up income from there through mining and killing monsters. Another thing that helps; if anything too ugly pops up, there are generally multiple stairs to escape from (unlike NetHack, which again on most levels has only one set of stairs). As mentioned previously, once you escape up or down, you can simply go back without having to face the nasty monster that made you flee, as the level is only temporary. Escape in NetHack is much more illusory, because if you escape, you generally have only gone up a level that you've already cleared (so no new items to find to help you deal with the problem) and you have to go back down to face the same monster again at some point (or starve to death on a level above it).
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I tried playing angband with the tiles and couldn't do it.

I have to look at the matrix encoded. :lol:
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
yossar

Post by yossar »

SlyFrog wrote:The newsgroups suggest that Crawl is incredibly difficult. Numerous posts discuss how 80% or so of characters never make it past first level, and how getting to second level is vitally important.

Yet I have played only Hill Dwarf Fighters so far (about 4 of them), and have never had a single one die at first level. In fact, I'd say they've been averaging about 5 levels, and that seems primarily because of the initial "feeling out" period for the game. My current one is at level 8 and going pretty strong.
80% seems a bit high. But it does really depend on what you play. Any type of spriggan spellcaster (except enchanter) shouldn't be dying until you start running into at least orc wizards/priests since they can avoid almost all melee. Most fighters shouldn't have a problem either since they're tough. But I can see 80% of mummy necromancers dying before 2nd level.

Incidentally, Hill Dwarf fighter is the character I've had the most success with as well.
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

noxiousdog wrote:I have to look at the matrix encoded. :lol:
Yeah me too... I tried a bunch of the games in this thread and couldn't really get into them anymore... once upon a time I would have played for days straight, but I guess I'm a graphics whore now.

On the plus side I totally missed Fate last year, so Exodor's post was very nice... bought it and played it a bunch this weekend to take a break from Oblivion... preserves the excitement of randomness and respawning in a actiony and pretty package. Good stuff.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Yeah me too... I tried a bunch of the games in this thread and couldn't really get into them anymore... once upon a time I would have played for days straight, but I guess I'm a graphics whore now.
Just the opposite. I need my kill orcs when they are o.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

noxiousdog wrote:
Mr. Sparkle wrote:
Just the opposite. I need my kill orcs when they are o.
Oh right... encoded... can believe I totally misunderstood that reference. I'm a graphics whore and I have to turn in my geek card... this really isn't going well. :oops:
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

Something Peace' forgot to mention about the Angbands which will turn off a good number of RL newbies si that Angband's dungeon levels are not persistent. Meaning that if you leave the dungeon, return to town then come back to the dungeon, the levels all completely change. Nonsensical as all hell but if you can ignore that then the tiled versions(particularly ZangbandTK if you can get it working in XP) are fun.

Right now I think that DungeonCrawl(the tiled version) is king of the hill among roguelikes. I want so badly to like T.O.M.E. but the 16x16 suckiness of the tiles is troubling.

There is also an isometric version of Nethack called "Falcon's Eye" with some nice tiles(which has been abandoned by it's creator but a new version called "Vulture's Eye" is still being maintained I guess).

You might also want to check out Tom Proudfoot's Tower of Darkness which is a ten-level graphical and party-based roguelike which allows for using custom created icons for your PCs(player characters).

Some more links:

IVAN

ADOM

Star Rogue :No longer maintained sci-fi RL game with tiled graphics option as well as ascii.

As for Helherron vs. Natuk...

To each his own but I think Helherron has far superior magic system while I agree that Natuk has a generally better combat system. The one thing bringing Natuk down is the inconsistency with the character attributes and the "spells drain Strength" thing. Wouldn't be so bad is strength was clearly defined as endurance and not physical mass but that is not the case. Ogres and trolls get immense strength bonuses due to their physical size making them ideal casters. There are other problems with the game mechanics as well but none of these are so bad that Natuk is rendered 'not great' because of them. The premise, humor wonderful combat make it a game worth replaying(if you can get it to work in XP w/SP2 which I cannot).
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
SlyFrog

Post by SlyFrog »

I've been playing Dungeon Crawl, along with OAngband or NPPAngband. I haven't decided for sure if I'm going with OAngband or NPPAngband (I'm leaning toward and playing OAngband), but I have decided that I might as well try to find the best version of Angband (for me) rather than just playing Vanilla.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

slyfrog wrote:I've been playing Dungeon Crawl, along with OAngband or NPPAngband. I haven't decided for sure if I'm going with OAngband or NPPAngband (I'm leaning toward and playing OAngband), but I have decided that I might as well try to find the best version of Angband (for me) rather than just playing Vanilla.
Sly, you may have the answer to this question. If so, disregard. . .

But people stopped maintainging OAngband some time ago. Maybe, after some interminable period where it wasn't maintained, it got picked up again. But back when many of the major variants were incorporating various OAngband changes into their own systems, it hadn't been maintained in awhile. IIRC.

If someone picked it up again, super. If not. . .well there's a chance that's not to your liking so there you go. Or, maybe it has been picked up again. If so, super.
Skeptic wrote:Something Peace' forgot to mention about the Angbands which will turn off a good number of RL newbies si that Angband's dungeon levels are not persistent. Meaning that if you leave the dungeon, return to town then come back to the dungeon, the levels all completely change. Nonsensical as all hell but if you can ignore that then the tiled versions(particularly ZangbandTK if you can get it working in XP) are fun.
Actually, most of them (at least I haven't played a band in a long time that lacked the feature) have preserve options that you can toggle during character creation. Though it's true it mostly just applies to the "current" level.

I never had a problem getting ZangTk to run in XP. I wonder if something's happened more recently that's caused a problem. I'll try to fire it up this weekend and see what happens.
andon

Post by andon »

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned:

Decker

Welcome to the 22nd century. In the game of Decker, you are a hacker who specializes in breaking into corporate computer systems, for which you are handsomely paid. Of course, these corporations don’t idly sit by and allow you free run of their systems. The systems are guarded by Intrusion Countermeasure programs (ICE), which attempt to kick you out of the system, or possibly even kill you.

The basic equipment of a Decker is the cyberdeck. This wonderful piece of hardware plugs directly into your brain in order to allow you experience the full virtual reality world of the matrix. While in the matrix, you use programs to attempt to bypass the security measures of the corporate systems, or to crash them if all else fails.

You start out unskilled, unknown, and underequipped, but as you gain experience, you will increase your skills, hardware, and reputation in order to combat more difficult and dangerous systems. That is, if you don’t get your brain fried in the process.
Ginnylady

Post by Ginnylady »

Well, I'm still having a blast playing the tile version of Dungeon Crawl. (Peacedog pointed me in that direction.) It's an excellent game!
And, it's nicely supported in a Newgroup, too.
Ginny
rhinohelix

Post by rhinohelix »

Yeah, I got sucked in by this thread as well. I am playing the 2d-Tiled version of it. I have a level 10 Hill Dwarf Fighter (what can I say? I am original ;) ). I found one of the "unseen horrors" that did in yossar and found a way to fight back (get them in a 1 square wide corridor and move back and forth seems to be the only way to survive them for me). Lots of fun, I would find it more enjoyable if they had a "save game". Its not a 100-hour oblivion commitment, but I still hated to see my other characters die. Worst was when I left the dungeon to see what happened with a level 8 character with great equipment. Nice score, but I would rather have the guy back :(

Thanks for this great thread.

Rhino
Stars swelled to dawns, and dawns burst into fountains of gold, carmine, and purple, and still the dreamer fell.
how786

Post by how786 »

rhinohelix wrote:Yeah, I got sucked in by this thread as well. I am playing the 2d-Tiled version of it. I have a level 10 Hill Dwarf Fighter (what can I say? I am original ;) ). I found one of the "unseen horrors" that did in yossar and found a way to fight back (get them in a 1 square wide corridor and move back and forth seems to be the only way to survive them for me). Lots of fun, I would find it more enjoyable if they had a "save game". Its not a 100-hour oblivion commitment, but I still hated to see my other characters die. Worst was when I left the dungeon to see what happened with a level 8 character with great equipment. Nice score, but I would rather have the guy back :(

Thanks for this great thread.

Rhino
Well, it's really easy to have the game backed-up/saved. I make copies of the entire game directory regularly. The directory is so small it is easy to do this.
I'm not a purist.
How786
sawtooth

Post by sawtooth »

Well, it's really easy to have the game backed-up/saved. I make copies of the entire game directory regularly. The directory is so small it is easy to do this.
I'm not a purist.
Savescumming. Ewww.

One of the best aspects of most roguelikes tends to be permadeath.

Here's the latest stats on my nethack monk currently on nethack.alt.org

Code: Select all

St:18/02 Dx:18 Co:16 In:10 Wi:18 Ch:12 Neutral S:218515
Dlvl:6  $:2487 HP:84(84) Pw:82(82) AC:-11 Xp:13/52447 T:19739
I've been down to Medusa but not across that level, and I'm currenly back up to get some spellbooks and to enchant my armor before heading for the Castle. Should be fun. :)
Skeptic

Post by Skeptic »

@Peacedog:

When I attempt to run ZangbandTK(or ANY TK'ed Angband) I get an error message as so: Error Sourcing C:/DOCUMEN~...(file path)\ZANGBA~1\OMNIBA~1.4\tk\boot.tcl\wrong # args: should be "Source filename"

Been a while but I tried everything I could think of to get around this including moving the tcl stuff around, moving the angband.exe file etc.

I never used to have problems with this game or about a half dozen other games(Warlords III, natuk etc.) until the release of SP2 but I have no idea whjat the problem is. COuld be something screwed up in my bios settings still for all I know.
"I am in a very peculiar business...I travel all over the world telling people what they should already know." - James "The Amazing" Randi
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

how786 wrote: Well, it's really easy to have the game backed-up/saved. I make copies of the entire game directory regularly. The directory is so small it is easy to do this.
I'm not a purist.
How786
Heathen.

Do as you wish, but don't think your acheivements count ;)
Black Lives Matter

Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

Ok, I didn't get a chance to run it this weekend (I was in a wedding). I will try this week though. Both with whatever version is on hand and whatever the latest is.

I probably haven't played this since I went to SP2, I'll note. In fact, I'm 99% certain I haven't.
Scanner

Post by Scanner »

Has anyone tried Wyvern?

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "roguelike" or not, but anyway it's a free online java-based MUD, apparently heavily populated with user-created content.
how786

Post by how786 »

I never tried it. Although they list 165,000 active users, when I visited the site there were only 15 online.
That doesn't bode too well..........
How786