Anyone ever play Balor of the Evil Eye (Celtic Tales)?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

lokiju

Anyone ever play Balor of the Evil Eye (Celtic Tales)?

Post by lokiju »

I played it a long time ago (10 years?), and just got it again from my old college roommate. I am yet to see if it loads and plays in XP, but man do I remember playing the game to death. I seem to remember having trouble figuring out spell combinations from the tablets.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I wanted it for several years, because the subject sounded so intriguing, but when i finally got it, I just didn't get into it. Wonder how it has held up over the years?

King of Dragon Pass is somewhat similar. If you like Celtic Tales, you should take a look. It is by A Sharp games, I believe.

Ale
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

My brother Ralph-Wiggum bought that game after seeing a 9.3 or so review in a computer gaming magazine. He played it for about 5 minutes and never got back to it. It now sits on a shelf in our study's closet, and I sometimes wonder why it got no love. Poor neglected game.
khomotso

Post by khomotso »

I played it to death about 10 years ago, too. Something like HMM play, roughly speaking, but with a very different feel. Something about its strong, almost scholarly love for Norse legend made it seem at once more grounded and foreign. Primitive gods and heroic figures combined with harsh realities of Dark Age peasant life.

IIRC it never really "wowed" me, but it did pull me into "one more turn" mode for quite some time.

Edit: err, that would not be "Norse". You know, the other freakish northern one.
JayG

Post by JayG »

A game I enjoyed a lot. While it might not have been a total classic, it was still great fun. I probably liked it more because I'm Irish.