icewin dale ultimate collection any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

galaril

icewin dale ultimate collection any good?

Post by galaril »

I was thinking of picking up the ultimate collection it comes with icewind dale 1 and 2 plus the heart of inter expansion. I was wondering I heard icewind dale 1 doesn't work on windows xp and icewind dale 2 also doesn't work wellon XP either. My other question is this I have played neverwinter nights the first game and liked it. How mucha re these alike.Should I just go for the neverwinternight expansions instead of this.Thanks.
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

From my experience, both work perfectly fine under XP. Don't know where you heard that from. Personally, I loved the original, the expansion(s), and the sequel. I don't think Neverwinter Nights is really a good point of comparison, but then again I never played it much. Basically, if you like Infinity Engine combat (think Baldur's Gate, BG2) you can't go wrong with Icewind Dale. I'd say go for it.
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

If I had the choice to make again, I'd pick Icewind Dale over Neverwinter Nights anyday. The story in Icewind Dale is just so much more immersive and it's so much fun (for me) to manage my party to figure out who to tank, who to be the magic-users. Do I get a cleric? Or am I good with a Druid. If I get both, which should I dual-class? Fun, fun, fun.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Icewind Dale 1, 2 and the HoW Expansion work fine on Windows XP.

I had a LOT of fun with these games, but for the most part I played through the entire set of games at LAN events with my old AD&D group. That might have helped with the experience.

I'm a big fan of the Infinity engine games though. But I wouldn't expect your NWN experience to match up well. That's more of a solo than party-based game. And the IWD games are very combat-heavy. Which was fun for me, but YMMV.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
disarm

Post by disarm »

The Icewind Dale games are both great...good stories with challenging Infinity Engine combat. if you like the IE style, you should really enjoy Icewind Dale. i've put in a lot of time playing NWN, but in the end i'd say the ID series are better games. having complete control over a 6-member party was much more fun for me 8)
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I haven't played IWD2, but I played IWD plus expansions and really enjoyed the artwork and music. Quality stuff.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
godhugh
Forum Admin

Post by godhugh »

disarm wrote:The Icewind Dale games are both great...good stories with challenging Infinity Engine combat. if you like the IE style, you should really enjoy Icewind Dale. i've put in a lot of time playing NWN, but in the end i'd say the ID series are better games. having complete control over a 6-member party was much more fun for me 8)
I actually had the most fun in IWD 2 going through it with a solo sorcerer.
To my Wife:

"Life's only life with you in this song" -Whistles the Wind, Flogging Molly

Not to my Wife:

- "When someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for his life."
Two Sheds

Post by Two Sheds »

I actually had the most fun in IWD 2 going through it with a solo sorcerer.
I started a game with a sorcerer & barbarian team, but I got distracted by something. Think I'll revisit that, it was pretty fun.