Not so funny post I've read today :-) BFME

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jpinard

Not so funny post I've read today :-) BFME

Post by jpinard »

Holy crap I was laughing hard at this. On the BFME mod forum a guy posted a mod, and had awful writing skills.

Here we go (paraphrased)

* Clord: Started doing Gondor AI it is fully playable Skirmish AI. Unzip this The Battle For Middle-Earth main directory and move Libraries.big somewhere else directory.

* Guest: Clord can you please post some details on what this mod actually does?

* Clord: I need see replays where is player vs my Gondor Skirmish AI. I know more clearly then how good it is vs human player and my brain get information what to improve and maybe change.

* LivedbytheSword: Huh?!?!

* Guest: I think your Brain should first learn communication, then start work on AI. FFS mate, I see better posts from 12 year olds, if you don't know the language then post in your own because you confuse the shit outta me.

Now granted the mod author was Finnish, but still the last half of Guests sentence just cracked me up. Link:

http://www.forumplanet.com/rpgplanet/me ... 556768&p=1
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

WTF are og Guests? Original gangster visitors?

Ale
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Arggh. You pick my one typos out of that whole post?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

One typo, one grammatical error =)

Ale
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

oh man! :lol:
Reed

Post by Reed »

OG Loc?!
Lee

Post by Lee »

So someone posted in english, it's not his natural language and its hilarious? I guess I don't get it.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Enough

Post by Enough »

The Fino-Ugrian group of languages is one of the more bizarre and difficult to learn thanks to it's logic and sentence structure, etc. so we might want to cut this Finish guy some slack.

I remember when I first started learning Hungarian our professor started the class by telling us we would be learning one of the three hardest languages to learn in the world. I couldn't believe she would say that and risk turning us off to trying to learn the language right from the start. But I can vouch for it's difficulty. Between suffix and prefix use it's almost possible to construct an entire sentence with one word! :D
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

OK, I guess the humor is all my own. It wasn't that he was mocking him per say, it was just funny the way it was stated. And when people keep saying Huh? usually poster woudl say early on "English is not my first language".

I just thought one part was funny. Oh well.
Tareeq

Post by Tareeq »

Enough wrote:The Fino-Ugrian group of languages is one of the more bizarre and difficult to learn thanks to it's logic and sentence structure, etc. so we might want to cut this Finish guy some slack.
Finno-Ugric. Finnish.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Enough wrote:The Fino-Ugrian group of languages is one of the more bizarre and difficult to learn thanks to it's logic and sentence structure, etc. so we might want to cut this Finish guy some slack.
That's kind of irrelevant since Finnish isn't his second language, right? :)

Grifman
Poleaxe

Post by Poleaxe »

This might have been funnier if any one of those guys could speak a foreign language. No wait, it would still be kind of rude and shitty.
Kael

Post by Kael »

I remember a gaming magazine column about the sorts of letters they get. They went through all the typical stuff, the rants from fanboys that they didn't rank there game high enough. The rants from the detractors that they ranked it to high. But the comment that always stuck with me was when they said: "At least once a month we will get a letter from someone from another country who will always end it by apologizing for his poor english. These letters are usually more eloquent and well written than most of the letters we get from people who claim english is their primary language."
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Poleaxe wrote:This might have been funnier if any one of those guys could speak a foreign language. No wait, it would still be kind of rude and shitty.
Particularly when directed at a mod writer who's creating something for everyone to use.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
- George Orwell
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

Well I apolgize to the author and everyone else. I feel terrible. :cry:
Odin

Post by Odin »

jpinard wrote:Well I apolgize to the author and everyone else. I feel terrible. :cry:
Not necessary in my case. I thought it was funny, but I usually always see the humor in badly broken English from people who don't know the language. Like with the magazine guys above, it's when native speakers mangle it that I get annoyed.

Sith
Enough

Post by Enough »

Tareeq wrote:
Finno-Ugric. Finnish.
I'm pretty sure either is correct mr. smarty pants. The Library of Congress classification system spells it the same as I did (Fino-Ugrian). Unless there is some greater meaning to your brief post that misses me I give you one of these: :roll: with a side order of cat butt: :idea:

And I give myself one of these :oops: for offending our resident spelling bee champion by misspelling Finnish.

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Are you guys finnished?
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

I thought it was funny...but then I also laugh when I try to speak my pathetic excuse for broken Spanish. Its great cause I can tell the people to whom Im speaking are about to bust a gut too.

Cmon yall. If you cant laugh at other people, who *can* you laugh at?
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
jpinard

Post by jpinard »

See gungho I'm the exact same way. I love speaking German, but I laugh and make fun of myself because I KNOW how terrible it must be (and painful) for German-speakers to hear/see it.
Enough

Post by Enough »

jpinard wrote:See gungho I'm the exact same way. I love speaking German, but I laugh and make fun of myself because I KNOW how terrible it must be (and painful) for German-speakers to hear/see it.
Sorry to cause any fuss, I actually thought it was funny too. This is a case of trying to add value to your already fun post. That effort apparently went off badly. But hey at least we all now know there are two ways to refer to the language family with Finnish. :P

RashG

Post by RashG »

I agree that the original post was quite funny. Usually it is the Japanese who mangle English that badly. Of course there are always people who can't form coherent sentences even in their native languages.
Normally Finns speak English fairly well, it is taught at elementary school after all.

But I don't agree that Finnish is that hard a language. It has a similar sentence structure that germanic languages have and almost all the same tenses (future is usually implicit). Of course the suffixes and composite words make it hard to learn (even to the native speakers sometimes) but same could be said about latin.