'Play Guild Wars!' [GWEN is here - join our growing guild!]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Arcanis

Re: 'Play Guild Wars!' [GWEN is here - join our growing guil

Post by Arcanis »

try using daggers with that build. It doesn't matter if you don't meet the requirements since you don't care what kind of damage it deals or if it misses as Ill. Weap. is handling that. I think daggers are the fastest attack speed since it is 2 of them, guildwiki hasn't been updated properly in a while so it may or may not be accurate on that.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Yep. I've got some daggers with an "enchantments last 20% longer" mod, which means I need to cast IW less frequently. They're my main weapon.

I'm keeping my eye out for a scythe with that enchantment mod too, since those hit multiple targets, but until then I've been using the Banana Scythe when the mood strikes, since there's not much much you can do with that weapon except use it with IW.

The other option is to go one-hand weapon & shield, if I find a shield of fortitude or devotion, or other worthwhile mod.
She's the puzzle piece behind the couch that makes the sky complete.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I have a totem axe you can use until we get you your own if you find a shield you want to use.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Thanks, but I've got a gold sword of Enchanting I'm saving if I ever chose to go that route.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

1 more Prophecies skills then 11 core skills and then I will have Tyrian elite skill hunter! And of couse that last skill is in Hell's Precipice.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

If you want help and I'm on, let me know.

Also, grrr... the masters reward on the Moddok Crevice mission eludes me once again. As always it's Dunkoro's last "suggestion" to stop the two runners, who are running in different directions, that fails. This time I even came prepared with imagined burden, plus half my party had crippling and/or knockdown skills. One runner still made it, while crippled!, to call the reinforcements. :?
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

First of the 3 skill hunter titles done. Only 2 more to go.

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

"Only" Haha. That's a good one. :) At least you've got the core ones out of the way now.

After you left, I took my Mesmer through the Norn Fighting Tournament and unlocked the two heroes there. I made it to the last round but wasn't able to be Bison-- yet. I think I've got my build tweaked to beat him now, but then I ran into the 55 Monk build and the Signet of Spirits Rt build and those both stopped me on my next two attempts before making it the final round. :? Then I needed some sleep.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

So, I'm working on my next set of elite armor- I'm going for Vabbian set for my mesmer. I'm working on getting all the trade contracts I can, and only have a few left that I can get using Geb and my mesmer.

My necro is the only other character that's gotten as far as Vabbi in Nightfall, so I'm going to start doing the quests with him. BUT... he took the Magrid the Sly path, and four of the trade contract quests require Master of Whispers in your party. I don't know if it'll work, but if I could borrow someone with a Master of Whispers hero some night when we're on, I'd like to see if I can get those quests done with someone else's hero in the party. I'd find someway to make it worth your while.
Last edited by Tscott on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

I guess I need to get off my butt and get back into this. I want to get to 30 pts in the HoM but I just don't see that happening. I think I'll either do the Inlet to get the last hero armor I need for that or vanquish some to get sunspear points tonight, trying to finish and max that one out too.

Part of me wants to really switch to my Rt and run that for a while, but I just don't see any progress toward the HoM being made that way and it will fell like wasted time.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
craterus

Post by craterus »

keep in mind that there have been some statements that say that HoM can be added to even AFTER gw2 comes out... most likely in 2012
"The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark," Jon pointed out. "I am no Stark, Father." A Game of Thrones
(referral link) Season 24 for GPRO racing manager game - starting the 10th of Feb
The OO GPRO thread - come on over and share some data
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

I know that you can keep adding to it and have been anxiously awaiting GW2. Most of the best guesses from the little things we do know about release date suggest Nov. or Jan. but the devs aren't even sure about that. I just know I likely won't return to GW1 once I have GW2 in hand.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

BTW, it's double Sunspear and Lightbringer points this weekend. I'm planing to do some vanquishing and z-quests in Nightfall then. Now that I've been doing z-vanquishings, my ranger is now level 9 in the sunspear rank and a good ways towards maxing the title.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Nevermind my post about trying to get more trade contracts. Vabbian armor has been boughten.

That's 25 HoM points turned in, baby!
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Thanks to double Nightfall points, I got the Eternal Spearmarshal title (Sunspear Rank 10). And when I went to display it in the HoM, I noticed that I could also display Eternal Savior of the Kurzicks too! I had just barely reached level 4, Ally of the Kurzicks, during the Factions double points weekend and I guess that's good enough for that title. Nice.

I hadn't been planning to go for more titles for HoM points, but I'll have to consider it as a option now, in place of grinding for something else. I'm only a few master rewards away from getting Eternal Protector of Elona (Nightfall mIssions), and if I idle on 9-Rings during the next celebration I could get the lucky/unlucky titles.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

And Nicholas the Traveler is just outside of Brauer Academy in Factions. He's asking for 1 Dragon Root per gift. I've got 10 extra*, so if you guys see me on hit me up for some. Or post here when you'll be on this weekend. I'll give 5 to the first two guildees I find. I'd really like to give them away or else they'll go to waste.

*I was having fun solo farming an area and got it in my head to continue to farm a boss for a green staff for one of my monk heroes. I never did get the green to drop, but did get a gold staff that was almost as good.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

I plan on being on either late today or during the day tomorrow so I can hit sunspear 10 as well.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I would gladly take 5. I will probably be on this evening as well. If we can get more people we can try to get that green for you.

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

miltonite wrote:I would gladly take 5.
If you're hopping on GW today, let me know so I can get these to you.

Yesterday, I accomplished the two things I wanted this weekend:
1) Maxed Sunspear rank.
2) did a Z-Vanquish of Kessex Peak with 3 Wanted Missions active in that area- this netted around 8 plat and 3 royal gifts for one hours work.

And now I'm unmotivated. Currently Geb is standing on Embark Beach watching other people turn in quests as I type this. I'm close to finishing Nightfall with my Mesmer, but don't feel like pushing for that right now.

Also I'm unsure of how I'll get the last few HoM points, so without goals, I'm aimless.
Right now to get to 28 points, I need 2 more armor sets and 3 more weapons (destroyer or oppressor).

Then to get the last two points I can: (from easiest to hardest)
A) wait a year. When next year's birthdays role around, I can dedicate 20 mini pets (2 points)
B) spend time and gold on the trade channels to buy the mini pets I need earlier (2 points)
C) buy 6 more destroyer weapons for a full display (2 points)
D) grind for 9 more hero armors (one point) and 3 more titles (one point)
E) grind for 8 more titles (2 points)
F) add either a Tormented Weapon (one point) or Obsidian armor (one point) into the mix somehow
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

That was a fun vanquish today guys. That was only the second or third time my mesmer ventured into hard mode. Those Stoneflesh Mandragor were tough- they had like 40+ damage reduction. My illusionary weapon attacks were hitting for 1 damage, when it should have been 42 damage. And clumsiness was 50-something damage when it should have been 97, and Wandering Eye was 70-something instead of 115.

And congrats on hitting Legendary Sunspear, Arcanis. Just sorry you were the one that found that last Mandragor group on your own. :(
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Thanks for the help on the vanq too. Don't feel too bad for the pop up getting me. I took out most of them before I realized my health was low and my monk was taking a dirt nap.

I too am feeling severely unmotivated to finish the last of what I need for rank 30 in HoM. I know for the birthday celebration I'm going to play 9 rings until i get my next rank in lucky to get that into the hall. After that I don't know what I'll do for the last 3 points. I could get 2 more armors for another point, 2 if 1 is vabian or obsidian. Either way it is going to cost me hundreds of plat to buy the materials, despite the costs I think that may be the easiest way to go. Every other point requires a lot of very specific work; 10 hero armors, 10 mini pets, 5 more titles, or some more weapons in the display.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

If you do go for Vabbian, let me know. miltonite helped me out with trade contracts for mine and I could pay it forward by doing some of those quests again with different characters. Ultimately, I gathered enough for 11 gems before I just paid for the rest (it's 7 contracts to trade for a ruby or sapphire, and 16 of each needed to get the full set of armor (14 of each without the headgear)) It still cost around 200 plat to get everything even with all those contracts turned in.

I may just start working on some of the titles as a means to grind for gold and other stuff that I may need for weapons or whatever. That way I could possibly also get the Rainbow Phoenix if I get to the "People Know Me" title or better in addition to getting me closer to the magic 30 points.

While I was in my funk earlier today, I started looking at how many Ranger elites I was still missing, and wondering if I could ever catch up to miltonite and his quest for the Skill Hunter titles...
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Well now would be your chance since I am in a GW rut as well. But that is how it has been for me with any game lately, I just sit here at my computer thinking what game I want to play and end up just sitting doing nothing while time glides on by.

I have Tyria done and only need 80something for the other 2. I am going to have to start my 1 a night thing again. I am almost done with Warrior elites in Nightfall.

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Actually, now that you've got Prophesies done, the remaining ones should be "easy". No need to wonder if the guy you want will spawn and where. They'll all be waiting for you at a set spot on the map, which is neatly highlighted on the wiki.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Tscott wrote:Actually, now that you've got Prophesies done, the remaining ones should be "easy". No need to wonder if the guy you want will spawn and where. They'll all be waiting for you at a set spot on the map, which is neatly highlighted on the wiki.
That is how it mostly was for the prophecies ones, but there were a few that MIGHT spawn at like 5 different locations max I think. And all the spots were nicely highlighted on the wiki as well.

On the plus side I got very good at running the last 3 missions in prophecies, I can beat them all without the bonus in like 20 mins, less if properly motivated.

Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

well I think after I finish doing my chest runs my next project will be running anyone I have who hasn't been there yet through Vabbi so I can get as many trade contracts as possible.

Beyond that is anyone else interested in Ob. Armor? If so we could try and organize to run FoW and Underworld for materials for us. I wouldn't mind some help with it if others want to join me in doing so, but can't expect us all to run it if I'm the only one who needs anything from it.

I figure it will take me until GW2 just to get the materials for crafting those 2 armors. I guess I'll be farming the vanqs pretty hard too, as those pay out pretty well.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I've been very curious about the elite areas like Fissure of Woe, but never done them. I'd like to at least check them out. I don't know if I'll be going for obsidian armor or not, but I'd be up for it sometime.

I spent a wasteful afternoon in guild wars, farming for iboga petals to make Pahnai Salads for the Traveler this week. But, I actually got a good drop out of it: the Traveler's Bo Staff which is multi class and gives + 20 energy and +30 health. So, I'm happy.

As I was farming I also got my second Hassin's Shell. It's a green shield but from the Nightfall starter island so its stats aren't great. 8 armor (no attribute) and +20 health. The first one of these I used for my IW mesmer for a bit, until I found something better. If anyone wants my second one for a hero or a starter character, it's yours.

I also got a Highlander Woad for Geb, which was expensive and doesn't help me in any way, but it looks cool.

EDIT: I just found this fairly recent thread of useful tips about achieving the Skill Hunter titles. The last reply in the thread, which is by the thread starter is priceless.
Spoiler:
Thanks everybody for everything. I spent about 6 hours capping about 60 skills today. I then started thinking about it and I came to the conclusion that it'll probably require far less effort to farm for FoW armor.

So yea, gonna ditch the whole title hunter track and continue farming Glints. Thanks for your help everyone.
:lol:
EDIT #2: I picked a Monk secondary for my Ritualist, and got him up to level 7. I hope to get him from the Factions starter isle to The Bone Palace in Nightfall for some Ancient Armor. (And he'll stop in Vabbi on the way for some trade contracts he can give away, too.)
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Today's Guild Wars Pro Tip:

Identify White Items before you sell them! The value changes - they may say it's worth 50g, but after identifying it, it may sell for 70-100g. Seeing as it costs 4-5g per identification, it's usually a good deal.

Wish I had know this a long time ago. :doh:
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I had no idea you could identify white items. Thanks for the tip!

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Got my Ritualist off Faction's starter isle and picked up MOX, Ogden and Vekk. Also got the port to Nightfall quest, so I'll get Dunk and the rest when I pick this up tomorrow.

To elaborate on the identifying White Items, the wiki says to go ahead and do it for anything worth over 25g- but I've also read over 50g. But I figure since it's so cheap to identify, why not? And it seems to me that staffs and other casting items seem to get the most benefit out of identification, but that's after only a limited time doing this- so it just may be me seeing a pattern that isn't there.
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

currently working on a build for my derv to go into FoW and UW. I doubt my onslaught or Avatar builds will hold up to it so I'm looking at a Vow of Strength build with lots of defense just trying to make big spikes of damage by balling up enemies and using an "attack all adjacent enemies" attack with VoS.

If I feel this won't work I'll just run my Rt through there and let the spirits chew them up, though I still think I need to refine that too if it is going to be helpful there.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Hmmm, I wonder what we should work on this weekend in Guild Wars?

Starting at noon Pacific time on Friday, it's Double XP for Elite Skill Captures and double Green Items drop rate!
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

I'm sure Miltonite will be using that to finish his skill hunter title and likely get survivor too. Are there any greens anyone is after for a character? We could farm the hell out of them.
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

Well this weekend would be a great time for me to finish all 160 caps I have left. I will surely have survivor 3 after this weekend. I am already 1 only 4 mil exp to go! (just a estimate)

Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I've made progress on my Rit character. Maxed levels for both him and his current heroes, plus became 'Weh no Su' (Closer to the Stars) so I can change my secondary if need be (I may try secondary Mesmer or Necro builds with this character eventually).

Also got the quest "To Vabbi!", but I've still got to get Zhed Shadowhoof and Master of Whispers and do 3 missions before I actually reach it.

BTW, I may have mentioned something to the effect before, but if you're bringing characters to Vabbi to get Trade Contracts, make sure you pick Master of Whispers over Magrid The Sly. There are 4 Trade Contract quests that require Masters of Whispers in your party.

Addendum: Spirit based Ritualists are ridiculously easy to use to beat the Norn Fighting Tournament. He just went 6 for 6 in it, got the Bison Cup and 5 tournament tokens and barely broke a sweat. Now I need to figure out which of my characters would look best wearing a crown...
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Guild Wars 2 reveals the latest profession, The Commando.

And on Embark Beach (today only, I'm assuming), if you talk to Corporal Bane you can get a quest to try out what this profession will be like.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

I got all of the Ranger Elites done today. Whoo! And a few monks ones too because I happened to be in the area with an extra sig of capture.

I stupidly died last night while farming for some collector items to trade for a weapon, and lost all my survivor progress (which was only barely past rank one). But I made it all up today and ended with around 180,000 XP total from all the capturing plus one vanquish. Still a long way away from reaching rank two on that title (587,500), and what seems an eternity from reaching max rank (1,337,500).
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

All monk elites captured. Reached level 2 of the survivor track (I'm now around 627,000 XP). Next: Necro elites. I've got A-C done, next up Depravity.

Number of green weapons dropped for me during this double drop rate weekend: 0.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

Woo-hoo! :D

After the storm passed and I had a little bite to eat, I came back to the game and got real picky with the elites I was willing to go after. None in areas where it might be in 5 places or not spawn at all... None in places like The Desolation or the Realm of Torment... Just a quick run to the boss, cap and leave- the closer to my starting point the better.

I was down to my last Signet of Capture, and only 5 plat left in my storage. I capped Soul Twisting (elite) from the Ritualist Construct just outside of Morostav Trail in Factions and... AND... was about 1000 XP short of Legendary Survivor.

So I looked at my quest log and found A Brief Introduction sitting there. Go outside of the Command Post, look, and return to the Chantry of Secrets for 2000 XP. Ta-Da! A new title maxed.

I think I started the weekend with around 75-80 plat in my storage and spent nearly all that, plus whatever money I made selling off what I got along the way, on Sig of Captures. But after this weekend I've now got 73/90 Prophecies skills, 73/120 Factions skills and 81/140 Nightfall skills.

And I did get two greens to drop today: Kaya's Daggers and Marobeth's Chill. Neither are earth-shattering great, but may be useful for a hero.
Tscott

Post by Tscott »

A week later and I'm still alive. Around 1,875,000 XP since my last death.

I got the skill hunter titles for Prophesies and Factions, which got me ten Honor statues in the HoM and another point. I've only got around 45 elites left in Nightfall to capture to get that title and Legendary Skill Hunter. But I'm broke from buying all those Sigs of Capture so I'm doing some vanquishing to earn more money first before finishing that up. And between my farming for Kurzick points from before and doing Z-vanquishes and such, I'm now at 18 out of 33 Faction areas vaquished- so I may as well go for that title too.