[Roguelike] Dwarf Fortress

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Hmm. Is there any way to fill in a channel?
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Cortilian wrote:Hmm. Is there any way to fill in a channel?
The remove structure down't work? q->x
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

It doesn't seem to count as a structure and remove item doesn't either.
andon

Post by andon »

It's a known issue that you cannot fill in channels. I've read that something might be in the next update or 2 for fixing that.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

noxiousdog wrote:So, how does the dwarf that is making the channel survive?

I'd do this:

+ = floodgate
- = channel
r = river
] = rock
X=Door

Code: Select all

]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr
     ]]rrrrrrr
    +--rrrrrrr
     ] rrrrrrr
]X]]]]X]]]]rrrr
Build the piece that touches the river last. Or just use the 2 adjacent floodgate method next time. I havent built a cave river irrigation since my first few forts, irrigating from the outdoor river into a shallow cave is much faster to get setup IMO.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

How do you target things for butcher?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

In the animals tab ('z' then 'enter') you can either make each one available as a pet or set them for butcher with 'b'
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

After a grueling 18 hours away from the game, I get to play again. Hooray!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

noxiousdog wrote:
Cortilian wrote:

Code: Select all

]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr
Do it that way.
Can you only open the floodgates during the flood?
Floodgates can be opened at any time. Note: there's a slight bug with floodgates. Often you need two of them together to actually cause flooding when they're opened. Like so:

]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr
--++rrrrrr
--++rrrrrr
--++rrrrrr
]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr

Be sure and hook the first floodgate up to the lever BEFORE installing the second floodgate as it will block access. If your single floodgate isn't flooding when opened, add the 2nd gate.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Do you need the channels?
Black Lives Matter

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

noxiousdog wrote:Do you need the channels?
No, not in that setup.
Gus Smedstad

Post by Gus Smedstad »

Stuff I don't understand at present.

How do you train war dogs? I have a ton of untrained dogs running around, "waiting to be trained", and a dwarf with no job but animal training, but all he does is loaf all day.

Also, how do you rename professions? I've looked high and low and that's not at all obvious. One of the startup guides mentions naming a character a "lumberjack."

- Gus
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Gus Smedstad wrote:Stuff I don't understand at present.

How do you train war dogs? I have a ton of untrained dogs running around, "waiting to be trained", and a dwarf with no job but animal training, but all he does is loaf all day.
You need to build a kennel. I don't remember off the top of my head how to rename a guy, I need to see the game screen in front of me to do it.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Renaming is done when you examine a dwarf with the 'v' command. Hit 'p'references, then 'z' for profile. in the profile you hit 'y' for customize and you can rename their proffesion and give them nicknames. :)
Koz

Post by Koz »

On the fishing issue, the first fortress I built started with no fish in the river. The fisherdwarf got a bunch of turtles out of a pond but then they never came back. It's possible you just have no fish.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Sweet, I just got 15 immigrants, including 3 farmers and 3 trappers.

31 total dwarfs now, 17 trained war dogs, 30 puppies.

I'm turning two of the trappers into soldiers. Need some protection, the dogs aren't very smart. Had one lizardman run rampant for a while last season.

By the way, is it possible to get cats after you've already started (trade caravan, maybe?)? Stupid rats in the fortress.
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Koz wrote:On the fishing issue, the first fortress I built started with no fish in the river. The fisherdwarf got a bunch of turtles out of a pond but then they never came back. It's possible you just have no fish.
Yeah, I think that's what it was. With the setup I had, no fish meant there was no way I was going to survive the winter, so I just created a fresh world. :)
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Kelric wrote:By the way, is it possible to get cats after you've already started (trade caravan, maybe?)? Stupid rats in the fortress.
Immigrants tend to bring pets. For better or worse its usually cows though.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Chesspieceface wrote:
Kelric wrote:By the way, is it possible to get cats after you've already started (trade caravan, maybe?)? Stupid rats in the fortress.
Immigrants tend to bring pets. For better or worse its usually cows though.
Yeah, this latest group brought a calf. It'll be the first to go in winter if we get hungry.

Could some of you with large, prosperous forts take a screenshot or two of the general layout when you get the chance?

I don't like the way my fortress is coming along, despite the fact that it seems prosperous at this point. Time to delete it and create a new world!
Mr. Sparkle

Post by Mr. Sparkle »

Damnit! The first caravan left before I could trade with them... I hope I have enough food.
My blog: Chimpanzee Tea Party

"Osama Bin Laden can suck my insouciance." -Kung Fu Monkey
Gus Smedstad

Post by Gus Smedstad »

Thanks for the pointers on kennels and renaming.

- Gus
D'Arcy

Post by D'Arcy »

Kelric wrote:Could some of you with large, prosperous forts take a screenshot or two of the general layout when you get the chance?

I don't like the way my fortress is coming along, despite the fact that it seems prosperous at this point. Time to delete it and create a new world!
Well, my outpost seems prosperous despite its horrible layout, so you can probably just stick with yours and see how it goes. My main traffic route is a nasty bottleneck; there's even an old well blocking it. I'm still drowning in food, gems and worst of all, silver! It's way too much to process without coke, really, but my broker just made a strange trade contract with the human guild that apparently obligates me to sell them maces next year, so I guess I have to forge a bunch from my silver and see how they like them.

Still no standing army, though -- if those kobolds ever get serious with their invasions, I'm in big trouble.
Gus Smedstad

Post by Gus Smedstad »

Addendum: in my version, at least, "y" does nothing from the profile screen. Renaming must be someplace else.

- Gus
Koz

Post by Koz »

Gus Smedstad wrote:Addendum: in my version, at least, "y" does nothing from the profile screen. Renaming must be someplace else.

- Gus
It's a weird screen to get to. I know hitting 'u', selecting the dwarf, hitting 'v' (I think) and then 'y' will do it.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

All of those commands should be in the menus on those screens even if for some reason the hotkey is different.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

What do the flashing down red and blue arrows mean?
Black Lives Matter

Kelric

Post by Kelric »

noxiousdog wrote:What do the flashing down red and blue arrows mean?
Blue, I believe, means they are thirsty. Red might be hunger, but I don't know on that one.

BTW, D'Arcy, you can build larger than 7x7 rooms if you do this:

The spots I colored in red are the unmined support beams. Basically every 7th corner is going to be unmined so I can have a gigantic farm system once I mine the rest of that out in the winter. I restarted my fortress specifically so I could work on that idea.

In theory, you could make one giant cave with 7x7 unmined supports and just have bedrooms and other places that need privacy running off of the giant cavern.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

You could use 8x8 for that Kelric, there can be 6 spaces between each support.

I think flashing red down arrows, means mood declining.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Chesspieceface wrote:You could use 8x8 for that Kelric, there can be 6 spaces between each support.
There are 6 spaces between each support. Aside from the top row, which only has five spaces because I had already mined out the farmland and left the one support.
Koz

Post by Koz »

Also, you can build supports instead of leaving it unmined. The difference being dwarves can move through supports and not unmined sections.

Blue arrow means thirsty, brown arrow means hunger, and red arrow means unhappy.

Blue exclamation point, as I found out, means dwarf going whacko.
yossar

Post by yossar »

How do I take a screenshot of my whole fortress?

Nevermind, I think I found it. Press esc.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Koz wrote:Also, you can build supports instead of leaving it unmined. The difference being dwarves can move through supports and not unmined sections.
I know, but supports can be knocked down by rampaging dwarfs. :shock:

What's it mean when someone is constantly flashing?
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

This game is addictive. I've been awaiting some immigrants to this fortress (all I've gotten so far is one metalsmith). If they don't come this year or show up in a decent number, then I'm probably just going to start a new fort - I already can think of several things I want to do differently.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

D'Arcy wrote:
Kelric wrote:Could some of you with large, prosperous forts take a screenshot or two of the general layout when you get the chance?

Well, my outpost seems prosperous despite its horrible layout, so you can probably just stick with yours and see how it goes. My main traffic route is a nasty bottleneck; there's even an old well blocking it. I'm still drowning in food, gems and worst of all, silver! It's way too much to process without coke, really, but my broker just made a strange trade contract with the human guild that apparently obligates me to sell them maces next year, so I guess I have to forge a bunch from my silver and see how they like them.

Still no standing army, though -- if those kobolds ever get serious with their invasions, I'm in big trouble.
I'd advise sticking some doors and traps on all of those tunnels that connect to the river. River access points are where the snakemen invade from.
yossar

Post by yossar »

Gryndyl wrote:I'd advise sticking some doors and traps on all of those tunnels that connect to the river. River access points are where the snakemen invade from.
Wells too.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
Koz

Post by Koz »

So today I had my one metalsmith withdraw from the rest of the dwarves. Last time this happened it was my craftsdwarf and he went totally whacko, starting rampaging, and was eaten by my dogs.

However, this time the dwarf went into the smith shop and he produced a named bronze short sword! It's called Istem Muraf or something like that... pretty cool!
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

I haven't had much combat in my fort yet so I don't know much about how it works.

I have four military type dwarves. When I hit 'squads', each is listed seperately as leader of his own squad. I see I can set patrol points for them. Is that how you send them to where an attacker is? Is there a better way?

What happens when you activate other dwarves? Do they run and find a weapon and armor first or do they just immediately try and attack anything dangerous?

So far my only significant combat in my current fort was an iron man wandering in from the chasm. My sword traps wounded him but he killed two cats and a dwarf before being taken down by a war dog that happened by. On the bright side, his remains counted as an iron statue and my Manager dwarf is very happy with it in his bedroom :D
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Koz wrote:So today I had my one metalsmith withdraw from the rest of the dwarves. Last time this happened it was my craftsdwarf and he went totally whacko, starting rampaging, and was eaten by my dogs.

However, this time the dwarf went into the smith shop and he produced a named bronze short sword! It's called Istem Muraf or something like that... pretty cool!
This will happen periodically-the dwarf withdraws to make an artifact. The artifact is random-I've had artifact doors and buckets before so you got lucky with getting a sword. If they don't have the materials for what they're trying to make they go insane. You can check their profile while they're entranced to see if they're demanding any particular item.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Kelric wrote:What's it mean when someone is constantly flashing?
Anyone have an answer for that one? Last fortress that I just quit had my one miner blinking for about half a year and was still going by the time I stopped. Couldn't figure out why.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Kelric wrote:
Kelric wrote:What's it mean when someone is constantly flashing?
Anyone have an answer for that one? Last fortress that I just quit had my one miner blinking for about half a year and was still going by the time I stopped. Couldn't figure out why.
If a dwarf's name and icon are flashing it means they have a legendary skill.