[Roguelike] Dwarf Fortress

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Ah, alright. I'll let them keep reproducing unless I really need the meat this winter. Next winter they start to die! :twisted:

BTW, I butchered the two mules and got some meat, but how can I get the bone/leather out of their mangy carcasses?
D'Arcy

Post by D'Arcy »

noxiousdog wrote:Can you replant trees?
They regrow automatically. Each spring, a few saplings appear. Tower cap mushrooms, which are also a source of wood, regrow on mud.
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Kelric wrote:Ah, alright. I'll let them keep reproducing unless I really need the meat this winter. Next winter they start to die! :twisted:

BTW, I butchered the two mules and got some meat, but how can I get the bone/leather out of their mangy carcasses?
I just let the bones go to the refuse heap and the craftdwarves grab it when they need it. I haven't messed with leather yet.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

The river will flood your fortress if you discover it by opening a wall that was adjacent to water. If you open up onto a bank it wont flood. No way to know in advance though so its random in that regard.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
D'Arcy

Post by D'Arcy »

Damn, my dirt road just dissolved in a rain shower. There's just nothing reliable in this world, unless you carve it out of SOLID ROCK!
yossar

Post by yossar »

Kelric wrote:BTW, I butchered the two mules and got some meat, but how can I get the bone/leather out of their mangy carcasses?
I haven't tried it but I'd imagine a tanner's workshop would harvest the leather if you told it too.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Damnit! It's winter! Time to see if I laid enough by.... (probably not)
D'Arcy

Post by D'Arcy »

yossar wrote:
Kelric wrote:BTW, I butchered the two mules and got some meat, but how can I get the bone/leather out of their mangy carcasses?
I haven't tried it but I'd imagine a tanner's workshop would harvest the leather if you told it too.
Actually, it seems to generate the job itself when it detects skins, just like the butchery does for carcasses (sometimes).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

D'Arcy wrote:
yossar wrote:
Actually, it seems to generate the job itself when it detects skins, just like the butchery does for carcasses (sometimes).
No jobs will generate unless you have them turned on and if necessary the proper equipment/workshop/etc...

Tanning is a skill so it must have an associted job that much be turned on if not on already. (If you gave someone skill in tanning I would bet it is turned on by default)
D'Arcy

Post by D'Arcy »

LordMortis wrote:No jobs will generate unless you have them turned on and if necessary the proper equipment/workshop/etc...
You're talking about the labour preferences of individual dwarves, i.e. which jobs they'll accept. The jobs themselves are generated, either by you scheduling them at workshops or automatically for certain events. My loom, for example, requested that cave spider webs be gathered, and my fisherdwarf happily complied. I didn't even know he had this penchant for silk.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

D'Arcy wrote:
LordMortis wrote:No jobs will generate unless you have them turned on and if necessary the proper equipment/workshop/etc...
You're talking about the labour preferences of individual dwarves, i.e. which jobs they'll accept. The jobs themselves are generated, either by you scheduling them at workshops or automatically for certain events. My loom, for example, requested that cave spider webs be gathered, and my fisherdwarf happily complied. I didn't even know he had this penchant for silk.
I thought that was what you were talking about as well.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Started with 6 war dogs, am up to 10 (thanks to three puppies and my animal trainer) by the end of the year. Winter is maybe half over, I still have 72 food stores (and 33 seeds for the spring).

Now I just need my furnace to actually produce charcoal. I have it set to constantly make charcoal and after one dwarf brought the first piece of wood over he walked away. Then another dwarf came over a minute later and brought the wood back to the wood pile. :doh:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kelric wrote:Started with 6 war dogs, am up to 10 (thanks to three puppies and my animal trainer) by the end of the year. Winter is maybe half over, I still have 72 food stores (and 33 seeds for the spring).

Now I just need my furnace to actually produce charcoal. I have it set to constantly make charcoal and after one dwarf brought the first piece of wood over he walked away. Then another dwarf came over a minute later and brought the wood back to the wood pile. :doh:
Do you have furnace operator set?

Do farms generate more seed to be planted for the next year?
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Made it through winter! Time to plant like a madman.
LordMortis wrote:
Kelric wrote:Started with 6 war dogs, am up to 10 (thanks to three puppies and my animal trainer) by the end of the year. Winter is maybe half over, I still have 72 food stores (and 33 seeds for the spring).

Do you have furnace operator set?
Yes, but he isn't a full time operator. He's also my metalsmith and smelter.
Do farms generate more seed to be planted for the next year?
One helmet will generate one helmet seed for sure. I don't know if you get more or not. The best thing to do would probably be just to buy more helmets every year to ensure you get more seeds than the year before to feed a growing population.

BTW, what are the steps I'd need to do to get some sort of alcoholic beverage?
yossar

Post by yossar »

LordMortis wrote:Do farms generate more seed to be planted for the next year?
Plump helmets, if eaten raw or brewed into wine, will drop seeds. Cooked helmets will not drop seeds so don't cook them until you have a big enough stockpile of seeds.

To brew them, create a still workshop, and make a bunch of empty barrels so they have somewhere to put the wine.
Dreamcast Krew 4 Life
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

How do you get War dogs to join a squad or command them or attach them to a trainer? I lost my fortress to some snakemen and I had 10 war dogs doing nothing :(.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

You should never have to buy more than an initial 50 plump helmet seeds or so. If you make your first grower(s) Competent or so, they will harvest multiple helmets per seed, you just need enough to plant your first field worth and then its perpetual.

Attaching wardogs to soldiers: if you have active military you go to that soldier, examine hime with the 'v' command, go to 'p'references choose 'e' for Work Dogs and you can give him wardogs. Same with hunters and hunting dogs. Otherwise you can just make them available as pets in the 'animals' screen.
kind of like a cloud I was up way up in the sky and I was feeling some feelings that I couldn't believe; sometimes I don't believe them myself but I decided I was never coming down
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

If we starve Mr. Growers, it's all your damned fault. Moments before Spring came, one Grower decided to throw a party, the other went to bed. Spring has come, I've got my farms ready to go, and one is at the party while the other sleeps. The partier then sleeps, and the second one finally awakes. Only to go to the party.

GROW SOME FUCKING FOOD!

Edit - Well, if we go hungry at least we'll have dogs to eat. 6 original dogs became 10 by spring. Those 10 have now had 18 puppies so far. I'm looking at at least 28 trained war dogs by next spring. w00t.

NOW GROW SOME FOOD!

2nd edit - ANOTHER PARTY?! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

I wish there was a way to set priorities for tasks. And I wish repeating tasks didn't get cancelled just because the dwarf was interrupted or went for a drink.

I still can't believe how good the game is though.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

You get the abilities to set task priorities, and view your stockpile contents and much more... But you have to accomodate nobles to earn it. :) They start showing up after you have a standing population of 30 dwarves.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

They won't build my well because I don't have an architect (or kitchen because of no cook or kennels cause no animal trainer) Can that be set up, or do I have to wait for them to show up?
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Just pick a dorf and turn on that ability as on of his jobs. Once I can plant I turn everyone into farmers until the 1st batch of seeds are all planted and then turn them all back to their normal jobs.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Cortilian wrote:Just pick a dorf and turn on that ability as on of his jobs. Once I can plant I turn everyone into farmers until the 1st batch of seeds are all planted and then turn them all back to their normal jobs.
What's the keystrokes?

NEVER MIND! I'm an idiot.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

BTW, what are the steps I'd need to do to get some sort of alcoholic beverage?
Build a still and build wooden barrels. Set a dwarf with the brewer job then tell the still to 'brew drink'. If you hit z and select the cooking tab it will tell you everything you have that's brewable and you can toggle what they use to make beer with.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I've picked up a "couple" of some sort. They always sleep in the same bed, no matter how I try to assign the bedrooms. Some dogs have also attached themselves to the couple and like to congregate around the bed while they're sleeping. It's a big dwarf family! :D
There is no hug button. Sad!
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I just lost my first fortress.

I had built up to the river and gotten a flood, which retreated and everyting was kosher.

I decided to flood gate it, but like a dumb ass, put my gates, 3 squares away from the river. I guess, I could have waited for the flood before opening the gate (and maybe that's what you're supposed to do), but I decided to make channels. When the channel was complete, it proceded to cover every square on the map.

Good job, ND. You dwarf killer.
Black Lives Matter

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

You can use channels just be sure to cap them and only flood sealed areas. The cave river is bugged in that it has infinite water and can, as you discovered, flood the whole world. The outside river wont do that.

And yeah killbot, expect some babies soon. :)
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Chesspieceface wrote:You can use channels just be sure to cap them and only flood sealed areas. The cave river is bugged in that it has infinite water and can, as you discovered, flood the whole world. The outside river wont do that.

how do you cap them?
Black Lives Matter

Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

killbot737 wrote:I've picked up a "couple" of some sort. They always sleep in the same bed, no matter how I try to assign the bedrooms. Some dogs have also attached themselves to the couple and like to congregate around the bed while they're sleeping. It's a big dwarf family! :D
Yes, dwarves will couple up and eventually produce a baby dwarf. Think of it as saving a bed :D
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

noxiousdog wrote:
Chesspieceface wrote:You can use channels just be sure to cap them and only flood sealed areas. The cave river is bugged in that it has infinite water and can, as you discovered, flood the whole world. The outside river wont do that.

how do you cap them?
Toady One says there is a soft cap of 200 dwarves, but that nobles will still migrate in excess of that and babies will still be born after its been reached. You can't stop them though, maybe if you individually assign each dwarf their own bed the moment they arrive but I doubt it. Never stand between a dorf and his missus.

Luckily the children dont do much or take up much space for like two game years so you have plenty of time to deal with the growth.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Chesspieceface wrote:
noxiousdog wrote:

how do you cap them?
Toady One says there is a soft cap of 200 dwarves, but that nobles will still migrate in excess of that and babies will still be born after its been reached. You can't stop them though, maybe if you individually assign each dwarf their own bed the moment they arrive but I doubt it. Never stand between a dorf and his missus.

Luckily the children dont do much or take up much space for like two game years so you have plenty of time to deal with the growth.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing.
Chesspieceface wrote:You can use channels just be sure to cap them and only flood sealed areas.
NoxiousDog wrote:how do you cap them?
Black Lives Matter

Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Oh lol, I meant cap them with a floodgate. Oddly enough though channels themselves will also block water from flooding out of a room if they arent attached to the river themselves. The channel that comes from the river should end with a floodgate, which are closed unless you attach a lever and Pull it. Use doors to block off rooms that you are flooding, and use the 'q' command on the doors to set security permission so no one opens them while the room is flooded. I hope I'm answering the right question now, I'm really sleepy. :)
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

Why won't my fisherdwarves fish? I have two set to fish, the ponds and river have thawed, they're healthy, yet they sit around complaining they have no work to do.

I read someone's comment earlier in the thread that the world is persistent and the last fortress may have overfished, but this fortress is sited in a completely different part of the region. The ponds, at least, should have fish shouldn't they? We got about 15-20 turtles out of them and that appears to be it. Was I just unlucky?

Also, no matter how far I dig I can never seem to find the cave river. Any tips, or is it just luck?
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Huw the Poo wrote:Why won't my fisherdwarves fish? I have two set to fish, the ponds and river have thawed, they're healthy, yet they sit around complaining they have no work to do.

I read someone's comment earlier in the thread that the world is persistent and the last fortress may have overfished, but this fortress is sited in a completely different part of the region. The ponds, at least, should have fish shouldn't they? We got about 15-20 turtles out of them and that appears to be it. Was I just unlucky?

Also, no matter how far I dig I can never seem to find the cave river. Any tips, or is it just luck?
It's possible that they fished the river empty. It'll pop up a message along the lines of "No more fish in river". The river will restock over time. It seems best to have multiple sources of fish. Once they fish out the river they can switch to the pond. Once the pond is empty they can switch to the cave river.

The cave river can be a ways in but usually not ridiculously so. Send a miner to dig a long shaft going east. Eventually he'll hit the river. Warning-it's possible that when you strike the river it will send water cascading through your fortress. Have a mason workshop make a door and set it at the entrance to your exploration shaft to keep any flood contained until it recedes. This will also give your miner a good chance to make it out alive.
Huw the Poo

Post by Huw the Poo »

OK, good tips. Thanks Gryndyl.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Chesspieceface wrote:Oh lol, I meant cap them with a floodgate. Oddly enough though channels themselves will also block water from flooding out of a room if they arent attached to the river themselves. The channel that comes from the river should end with a floodgate, which are closed unless you attach a lever and Pull it. Use doors to block off rooms that you are flooding, and use the 'q' command on the doors to set security permission so no one opens them while the room is flooded. I hope I'm answering the right question now, I'm really sleepy. :)
So, how does the dwarf that is making the channel survive?

This is how I built:
+ = floodgate
- = channel
r = river
] = rock

Code: Select all

]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr
   +---rrrrrr
   +---rrrrrr
   +---rrrrrr
]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr
Should I have just closed the floodgates and had the dwarf perish? Does he just need some riverbank to run to instead?
Black Lives Matter

Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr
Do it that way.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Cortilian wrote:

]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
   ---+rrrrrr 
]]]]]]]]]]]rrrr
Do it that way.
Can you only open the floodgates during the flood?
Black Lives Matter

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

How do you disband the military so they can go back to work?
Black Lives Matter

Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Go to the military panel again and hit assign.