If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

EzeKieL

Re: [Roguelike] Dwarf Fortress

Post by EzeKieL »

aha! that's it!

I don't have a pen ^^

Is it a zone thing?

Oh and btw, the unconscious Dwarf that's missing a foot has already been in the hospital for a few months. She just lies there, being unconscious :o
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
The Bad Shepherd

Post by The Bad Shepherd »

EzeKieL wrote:aha! that's it!

I don't have a pen ^^

Is it a zone thing?

Oh and btw, the unconscious Dwarf that's missing a foot has already been in the hospital for a few months. She just lies there, being unconscious :o
Sorry to break it to you, but due to a bug, dwarfs with foot trauma will never walk again. In this case, any dwarf that suffers any sort of foot damage will remain in the hospital forever. I currently have around four dwarfs permanently laid up in mine. The issue is that crutches never get assigned for them to use, which is necessary for continued mobility. Sorry mate.

At least you can wait for a patch to fix this, dwarfs with spinal damage are not as fortunate.

Give your dwarf my condolences.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah pens are new this version and are zones (set using 'i'). I'm not sure they are required for an animal to be butchered, but perhaps that changed as well... certainly worth a shot as I haven't seen any problems with butchering in my current fort.

For the injured dwarf he's either going to be bed ridden forever (can't walk at all), or if you look at his health report it will tell you if he's waiting on a procedure to be done by a medical dwarf. I thought that a dwarf with only one foot missing could still walk if he's treated and given crutches, but I could be wrong on that.

For the record a fully stocked hospital needs:
Beds
Coffers (to store stuff)
Tables (for surgery)
Thread
Cloth
Soap
Splints
Crutches
Traction Benches
Gypsum powder (for casts)
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

After much of the weekend, I finally managed to step foot into this universe you guys call Dwarf Fortress.

-- I still don't have a really good handle on how to pick a good place to embark to. The search doesn't seem to work real well.

-- I managed to tunnel out a place in a cliff with multiple rooms and hallways
-- I managed to get them to chop down trees and harvest plants
-- managed to designate stockpile locations for wood, food, furniture, finished goods, stone and gems.
-- managed to make Carpenter and Mason workshops. Also a Still
-- crafted beds and doors. placed them all

I get the idea that I've only scratched the surface? Do you guys let the game run real time between actions, because it seems really fast and like I'm missing a lot of things.

I also haven't been looking at any sort of medical or psyche reports of my dwarfs. I get the idea from reading this thread that there are reports and it might be important to read them. I also can't seem to get a reliable food source going?

And I also get the idea that there are many many many things I can craft that I haven't even scratched the surface on?
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

msd:
Sounds like you have a good start and a good grasp of the basics. Short of following along with one of the tutorials, I found just adding new goals for myself each time I started a fort was a good way to learn the game.

When I play I tend to let things run while I look around for things to adjust. I often pause the game to go into menus, setup production, specify new digging, etc. The game starts out pretty fast when you only have a few dwarves, but it will slow down substantially when you have more dwarves running around. Until then just pause as much as you need to.

Each dwarf has a profile you can view by going to the unit list ('u') and then highlighting the dwarf you want to view and pressing 'v'. From this screen you can view their thoughts and profile by hitting 'enter' or their health report by hitting (I think) 'h'. The profile you get by pressing enter has info on that dwarves appearance, psychology, and taste in items among other things.

A good way to see some of the other items you can make is by hitting ('j','m') to bring up the job management screen. From there hitting 'q' will send you to the list of jobs and you can type in any text to shorten the list. For instance if I wanted to view all iron items I would type 'iron'. That shows only job types with 'iron' in the name somewhere.

The easiest way to get food coming in is by hunting or fishing. Fishing is as simple as building a fishery to allow fish to be cleaned, and giving a dwarves both the fishing and fish cleaning job (assuming you have some water nearby). Hunting requires a butcher's shop, a butcher to chop up the animal, and a dwarf set to hunt. Ideally you want to your hunters to have crossbows as well to make things less dangerous. Eventually you'll need to start farming though and this will give you a better idea of that than I can here:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Farming" target="_blank

A few tasks you might look into doing soon in your fort:
- Build a dining hall for your dwarves
- Build both external and internal farms
- Build a mechanics shop and then build traps near your entry way
- Build a craft workshop and start creating stone crafts to trade
- Build a wood furnace to make charcoal, a smelter to smelt metal, and a forge to create metal items
- Build a trade depot to trade with merchants
- Build a wall around your entrance with a drawbridge for security... this will also require a lever to open/close the drawbridge
- Designate some pens for animals
- Designate and stock a hospital
- Build a barracks and begin drafting dwarves into your military

I'm sure that's a lot to take in, but I'm happy to answer questions. That wiki I linked to is also a great source of basic information on all kinds of things.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

This weekend I spent time learning how to build up instead of down. I'm learning to build above ground barracks to protect against invasion. It takes a lot work work to build a 2nd floor outside surrounded by fortifications and I haven't even gotten to figuring out siege weapons. I still haven't finished and am praying that it will let me make room up there. There is a lot of room for building cool stuff coming out a mountain side or for stand alone buildings.

Can you outdoor farm over an enclosed and covered area if the outdoor soil remains?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:Can you outdoor farm over an enclosed and covered area if the outdoor soil remains?
If I understand correctly: No. The farm will remain if you cover over it, but without access to direct sunlight it will become an inside farm instead of outside. I'm not positive, but you might be able to cover over it with glass, but I've never tried that myself.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ah well.

I was thinking about leveling and then covering most of my 7x6 map over the course of time. I'm already in the process of bringing down the mountain and raising the valley.

I am the God from Populace and the dwarves are my worshipers, only I think the river is a permanent fixture. Why the dwarves don't actually worship me is a bit confusing.

Of a little concern was that I had a dwarf enter a fey mood and then wander off to the corner of the map above ground and then eventually die of thirst. I assumed she wanted a special workshop that I hadn't build yet so I built them all... Which also learned me, you need a damned mountain. I took a(nother) false start after figuring I start with plains dwarves. Then the moods started and they all wanted uncut gems. I couldn't find freaking gems of any sort anywhere and none of the caravans seems to sell them as raw materials. And every mood saw more and more problems internally.

...But dieing is fun...
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

it would be cool if some of you posted some screens of their fortresses.

I'm really curious ^^

I'll post some of mine tomorrow. It's my first fortress though, don't expect anything fancy :mrgreen:
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

This is the base floor of my current fortress. I am building it entirely out of towers, the only things underground are excavations for stone, and right now a bunch of storerooms, which will all be moved into the towers. The pattern of towers is not yet complete, it is planned for a 5x5 grid, you can see the large tower in the center is the center tower for the complex. The towers are connected via skybridges a few floors up. The plan is to extend all towers to 25 floors, with 3 sets of skybridges.
It is not an efficient design, and is terrible for pathfinding, has very little defense, and the dwarves go completely to pieces because there are no roofs and the buzzards are getting in. i still haven't decided how to get magma to the towers, but I believe I will be putting up some windmills and a huge pump stack.
I have a current population of 65, with a 135 deaths. I cleaned the blood before making this screenshot, it was a horrible mess. The courtyard in front of the door had 3 pages of blood in some spots.
There are hundreds of arrows around the towers, left over after the goblins shot them at clueless dwarves and curious kittens walking along tower roofs for no reason.
My first death spiral was caused by a forgotten beast. My military slaughtered it easily, then all suffocated over the next few months due to breathings its deadly gas.
My second was caused by a minotaur king who managed to get inside somehow. The third death spiral began when the chief medical dwarf went berzerk and killed most of the patients in the hospital before the military could stop him.

The funniest moment so far, my militia captain charged the goblin seige alone. The second goblin knocked the captain out, then began to beat on the captains steel helmet with his copper mace. Checking the combat report, there were 60 mace hits to the head, all deflected by the steel helm, before I stopped counting. They went on for pages after that.

The most amusing artifact so far:
Maskirmerseth, "The Equivalent Luck" A rope reed fiber thong. Among its many hanging rings and other adornments is am image of Shovemusic, the Harmonious Tulips.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
The Bad Shepherd

Jaymon wrote:This is the base floor of my current fortress. I am building it entirely out of towers, the only things underground are excavations for stone, and right now a bunch of storerooms, which will all be moved into the towers. The pattern of towers is not yet complete, it is planned for a 5x5 grid, you can see the large tower in the center is the center tower for the complex. The towers are connected via skybridges a few floors up. The plan is to extend all towers to 25 floors, with 3 sets of skybridges.
It is not an efficient design, and is terrible for pathfinding, has very little defense, and the dwarves go completely to pieces because there are no roofs and the buzzards are getting in. i still haven't decided how to get magma to the towers, but I believe I will be putting up some windmills and a huge pump stack.
I have a current population of 65, with a 135 deaths. I cleaned the blood before making this screenshot, it was a horrible mess. The courtyard in front of the door had 3 pages of blood in some spots.
There are hundreds of arrows around the towers, left over after the goblins shot them at clueless dwarves and curious kittens walking along tower roofs for no reason.
My first death spiral was caused by a forgotten beast. My military slaughtered it easily, then all suffocated over the next few months due to breathings its deadly gas.
My second was caused by a minotaur king who managed to get inside somehow. The third death spiral began when the chief medical dwarf went berzerk and killed most of the patients in the hospital before the military could stop him.

The funniest moment so far, my militia captain charged the goblin seige alone. The second goblin knocked the captain out, then began to beat on the captains steel helmet with his copper mace. Checking the combat report, there were 60 mace hits to the head, all deflected by the steel helm, before I stopped counting. They went on for pages after that.

The most amusing artifact so far:
Maskirmerseth, "The Equivalent Luck" A rope reed fiber thong. Among its many hanging rings and other adornments is am image of Shovemusic, the Harmonious Tulips.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I've read about Fortresses like this. They tend to have massive casualty rates due to being so exposed. But, hey! Skybridges are cool.

135 dead though? That's brutal. I think my Fortress is somewhere around 20, most of them military.
"Shepard." -Wrex
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

My fortress :

Ground level

Enlarge Image

First level

Enlarge Image

Second level

Enlarge Image

Messy stuff :lol:

Any ideas or tips?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Stupid question - I haven't played this in years and downloaded it at lunch.

How do I mine? :oops:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:Stupid question - I haven't played this in years and downloaded it at lunch.

How do I mine? :oops:
You either need to find a hill/mountain face and choose d)eginante d)ig (mine) enter arrow an area enter or if there is no hill/mountain face you have to d)esignate i)(?) stairs down and then <shift+> > to go down a Z-Level and then begin mining as if you were entering a mountain face.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I am planning on implementing magma workshops tonight.

Wish me luck.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've yet to relearn mechanisms or dig deep enough to find magma since I've re picked up the game. I'm looking forward to manipulating magma and water again.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

LordMortis wrote:
stessier wrote:How do I mine? :oops:
You either need to find a hill/mountain face and choose d)eginante d)ig (mine) enter arrow an area enter or if there is no hill/mountain face you have to d)esignate i)(?) stairs down and then <shift+> > to go down a Z-Level and then begin mining as if you were entering a mountain face.

The last time I played, there was a bug preventing caravans from bringing wagons. If this has been fixed, you might consider placing three 'down' ramps side-by-side instead of using stairs for the no hill/mountain face.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I don't build stairs from the build menu. I use my miners to dig stairs to mine straight down. Once I adapted to the Z axis, I found that I like a nice open area to being mining, then my masons have a nice easy area to do above ground work.

Don't make the mistake I did with my last false start though. I went out to serene wooded plain, with both metals and clay and soil and a river and played most of the weekend... Only to discover that I couldn't find gems anywhere and buying cut gems doesn't help your moody dwarves.

So it's back to the mountain sides.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I think my forges work. It was really frustrating because I came across many a warm stone. I interpreted these as walls. It turned out it was the floor, so all I had to do is make a channel over magma that was already there. It might be dangerous, but I did it anyway.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Yay! My above ground barracks is done! I don't know how to make the squad all archers but it's done!
When you export an image where does it go? I'd like to post my tiny town.
The Bad Shepherd

Gentlemen. Let's take a look at the Fortress, Nudejugglers. Or as I like to call it in my head, THE TRAIN WRECK THAT REFUSES TO STOP.

Ah, yes. At long last I am able to release the almighty power of the small Swamp Brook. I blocked it off with floodgates and then channeled part of the brook into the moat. The floodgates are connected to a lever in Mortis' office, when the moat is filled (in about 3 years...maybe more) I can shut it off, thus preserving a minute amount of framerate. This screenshot was taken coincidentally JUST as the lever was pulled, by the way. I was surprised to see the floodgates missing.

This is the bottom section of the pump. There was...much trial and error as I tried to figure out just how the hell machines worked. Turns out, very clumsily. Pipe Sections are nothing but worthless lumps of wooden shit, Gear Assemblies all the way. Basically, the function of these lower parts is to capture the power of (whilst also supporting) the two windmills on the upper section. Here it is by the way.

It occurs to me now that perhaps it would have been a better idea to have more than one pump. But you know what? Fuck it. This took a year and a half in game to figure out and make, not including when the moat was dug and filled with spikes. So yeah, it supposedly works. Be prepared to hear a loud scream of "FUCK!" come from several states away if that pump does not work properly, though. I am currently surrounding all of it with a wall, so the pump is not toppled by rampaging trolls.

And the goblins came, and didst know it to be the hallway of Raging Death. In addition to sixty odd traps (most weapons and cage), I've placed and loaded several ballista further down the hallway. The ammunition is quality iron ballista bolts, with iron arrowheads. A goblin (or dwarf) gets hit by that, they will not survive. In time, all exterior threats will hopefully be handled by our engineers. Looks good, though friendly fire is a concern. Also present: Craftsdwarf's workshops, Carpenter workshops, a Fishery, Wood Furnaces, and the Trade Depot. Clothier Workshops too, run mainly through the now legendary Clothier, Hans.

Barracks. Lots of beds, armor stands, archery targets, and weapon racks. Rutherford's office is also here, as is a weapon and armor stockpile. No one seems to spar or use the archery range anymore; not that Paingod would need to, as he is now a +3 Legendary Marksdwarf.

Ah yes, the Trench of Stinking Death, cleared of bodies, but not blood. Many dwarfs and animals died here, as did SPINECRUSHER. The water flow is blocked off by windows and floodgates, the moat is lined with around 80 iron spears. In my experience, the creatures that have been knocked into the moat have come out completely uninjured, but dammit, I wanted spikes. To allow access to the moat (to facilitate both placement of spikes and the escape of dwarfs after removing the ramps in the moat) I linked one of the floodgates to a lever. It is now shut, and will remain shut. I may construct a wall around it, because if a gremlin or berserk dwarf pulls that while the moat is full...

Third floor workshops. Produces a ridiculous amount of goods, most Fortress activity is below the surface now. Practically every workshop is here, bar the ones involving carpentry and other wood related activities (save siege engineering, as ammunition is created at forges). Third floor also has extensive bedrooms, including Hipolito's bedroom, but this is not pictured.

Fourth floor, massive warehouse. The bins pictured are OVERFLOWING with trade goods, while you can clearly see just how much furniture has been produced. Shit gets done around here.

The catacombs. Every single coffin is filled - except for one. The Red Circle is Commander Cortilian's tomb - accompanied by the dismembered torso of SPINECRUSHER. I felt it was poetic justice. Eat that, bitch. Cpt. Burton will see you in hell. And kick your ass AGAIN.

That's it. Questions?
"Shepard." -Wrex
The Bad Shepherd

Just realized I positioned my pump one z-level too high. Actually not that big of a deal. Will fix it momentarily.
"Shepard." -Wrex
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Can't wait to get in front of the game and chew over this. I've been wondering about windmills and pumps and moving water and such.

I also fought off my first beastie last night. And ettin wandered and instantly got attacked buy 20 not so trained dwarves after I explicitly commanded them to attack. It never even fought back. It just ran.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Here's a few shots of my current fort:

Barracks
The barracks to either side are for different squads to rest, and the area in the center is the common training area where everyone goes to practice. It's only about 5 levels down from the surface so my troops are always between the main hall and the outside.

Battlements
Right above the gates this is where I post marksdwarves during battle and I'm currently building siege engines as well.

Forge
Small forge area and storage for both raw ore and finished bars. This is about 100 levels down just above the magma seas.

Main Hall
This is the main level of the fort about 10 or 15 levels down from the surface. Rooms for common dwarves are on the right. A park and noble quarters are on the left. The main dining hall plus food storage is toward the top. Workshops are in the middle with my prison and hospital to the left of that.

Gates
This is the main gates. Levers installed in the main hall control the drawbridges and and the entryways are lined with traps. At the top and in the two attached expansions are pastures for my animals and nest houses for the birds. I just got done fending off a siege, so it's a little messy by the south gate. :P

Warehouse
There's a larger storehouse below this one, but this is an iron mine that I've converted to storage.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I've done something and I don't know how to go back.

It looks like I zoomed out from my fortress. Things are really tiny and hard to figure out what is going on (more so than usual ;) ). Any idea how to zoom in?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Mousehweel up?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote:I've done something and I don't know how to go back.

It looks like I zoomed out from my fortress. Things are really tiny and hard to figure out what is going on (more so than usual ;) ). Any idea how to zoom in?
Scrolly mouse, which also changes the aspect ration. I think you can also edit the .ini file to make some changes in how big or small the grid is, which may or may not do the same thing as scolly mousing.

Sepiche, how do you get the screen captures?
The Bad Shepherd

What year is your Fortress at Sepiche? Are you experiencing lag for digging so deep down? The reason my framerate is still reasonable on my laptop is because I haven't bothered with the caverns. :P
"Shepard." -Wrex
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:Sepiche, how do you get the screen captures?
I just hit escape while playing and use the export feature in DF to get the important levels, then I crop the images and change them to smaller files.
BadShepard wrote: What year is your Fortress at Sepiche? Are you experiencing lag for digging so deep down? The reason my framerate is still reasonable on my laptop is because I haven't bothered with the caverns.
I think that ones about 5 or 6 years in. The frame rates drop a bit for me as more dwarves get there, but it's not too bad. I have a pretty beefy system though.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Where do the exports go to?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

LordMortis wrote:Where do the exports go to?
Should be .bmp files in the same directory as the main .exe file.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Will look. Didn't see it before. Got about three years into a game without any real skirmishes, which was good because I found no metal to make weapons with. Then I went straight to a goblin seige and training swords and spears and axes don't do so well against a siege. :(
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

New patch is out. Fixes a bunch of issues with .19 and among other things adds an option in world creation for metal scarcity.
ToadyOne wrote: This is the first bug fix release for 0.31.19, where I've focused on new bugs. The fixes are listed below. It also includes a few sponsored critters (pandas and capybaras), as well as some of their wilder relatives. Pandas are restricted to bamboo grazing and capybaras can vocalize in adv mode (bark, whistle, etc). I added a mineral availability parameter that you can set from Create World Now or from the detailed parameter screen. There are a few more things I can do there, but any extensive rewrite is going to have to wait for 3D veins and mine maps (Release 2 in the schedule). Barring any catastrophes, we'll be moving on to the old-bug-fixing now.

Major bug fixes
(*) Stopped the game from treating every tool like a container for stockpiles/adv mode
(*) Stopped hive product collection from removing hive building tag
(*) Stopped birds from claiming multiple nest boxes when a nest box is deconstructed
(*) Fixed crash with unusual egg laying
(*) Made pastured animals spread out more during grazing and allowed pets to be grazed
(*) Fixed situation where some stockpiled items were not available to jobs (lye, etc.)

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) Stopped weird bone-glazing situations
(*) Made llama/alpacas get sheared properly
(*) Stopped dwarves from cleaning up wax cakes in stockpiles
(*) Stopped heroes in world gen from picking fights with dead megabeasts
(*) Stopped various tug-of-war fights over animals by different jobs
(*) Stopped wildlife from claiming nests
(*) Stopped masons from using clay
(*) Fixed up a situation where the same params would not generate the same worlds
(*) Made potters apply their skill to statues etc. properly
(*) Added a clay category to stone stockpiles and cut some inorganics out
(*) Added wax to food stockpiles pressed material category
(*) Added wax goods option to finished goods pile
(*) Made empty pots go to the furniture pile
(*) Made pots available for brewing
(*) Fixed some erroneous names of groups of object in the stocks screen
(*) Made ash glazing use the correct amount of ash (0.31.19 saves might have half-exhausted piles that act up a bit until they are used)
(*) Stopped extra grass types being stacked on a tile during regrowth
(*) Stopped aboveground grass from growing in tunnels
(*) Stopped "grass" from appearing in some underground areas
(*) Made grass grow back properly in desert etc. areas (0.31.19 saves will get too much regrowth now)
(*) Stopped grass ramps from flashing in no-varied-ground-tiles mode
(*) Stopped pet/tame vermin from spawning many copies
(*) Reordered the new units in the unit list
(*) Adjusted value of bees
(*) Stopped vermin assignment to pastures
(*) Made pen/pasture interface give status of animals (caged, etc.)
(*) Stopped dwarves from encrusting honeycombs with jewels, etc.
(*) Corrected egg liquid densities/text error
(*) Stopped text export from listing zero population animals
(*) Fixed some issues with red reactions and other jobs not being listed in the workshops
(*) Allowed object melting and yarn rope jobs from manager
(*) Made it select the active zone properly when you enter activity zone mode
(*) Made zooming to units go to the proper unit when multiple units are in the same tile
(*) Cleaned up some pronoun trouble in personality descriptions
(*) Properly initialized banditry information (can cut down on some inappropriate dwarf/elf banditry)
(*) Deer antlers
(*) Sheep text lines up with there shearability now
(*) Fixed some creature description text and other small raw tweaks (see file_changes.txt)
(*) See file_changes.txt for new raw tags

New stuff
(*) Sponsored animals included: panda and capybara, along with related buddies
(*) Added world-wide mineral availability parameter
The Bad Shepherd

Until I see "fixed crutch walking" and/or "fixed issue with dwarfs waiting infinitely at designated water source to make plaster cast" I'm not downloading the next patch. These were issues six months ago, and fairly major ones to boot.
I'm not trying to be a bitch, it's just that pandas and beehives do not honestly interest me that much, I'd rather have Cpl. Miller stand up and be able to walk again. :cry:
"Shepard." -Wrex
KW

Post by KW »

So I'm trying to move some water to a lower level in my fort and I'm apparently doing something wrong. The water, coming from a river, is at level [z]. I've dug over to the water and channeled out a single tile with the goal of letting the water fall through that tile to [z-1]. When I dig out the final tile next to the river, the water rushes out to cover the desired area on level [z] including the channeled tile.... but doesn't fall to [z-1]. The area on level [z-1] has been dug out. Anyone have any ideas?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

KW wrote:So I'm trying to move some water to a lower level in my fort and I'm apparently doing something wrong. The water, coming from a river, is at level [z]. I've dug over to the water and channeled out a single tile with the goal of letting the water fall through that tile to [z-1]. When I dig out the final tile next to the river, the water rushes out to cover the desired area on level [z] including the channeled tile.... but doesn't fall to [z-1]. The area on level [z-1] has been dug out. Anyone have any ideas?
Not for sure without seeing it, but I personally use stairs to move water between z levels. It's much easier to mine out that way and stairs work just like an open floor for that purpose.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote:Mousehweel up?
Yep, that was it. Thanks!
KW

Post by KW »

Sepiche wrote:
KW wrote:So I'm trying to move some water to a lower level in my fort and I'm apparently doing something wrong. The water, coming from a river, is at level [z]. I've dug over to the water and channeled out a single tile with the goal of letting the water fall through that tile to [z-1]. When I dig out the final tile next to the river, the water rushes out to cover the desired area on level [z] including the channeled tile.... but doesn't fall to [z-1]. The area on level [z-1] has been dug out. Anyone have any ideas?
Not for sure without seeing it, but I personally use stairs to move water between z levels. It's much easier to mine out that way and stairs work just like an open floor for that purpose.
Stairs worked, thanks. Worked so well, in fact, that the river shot water up my well and flooded the dining room. Oops. :D

Not really sure why my original way didn't work, but oh well.
Shinjin

Post by Shinjin »

Sounds like you need at least a u-bend to deal with the water pressure. That only works for dropping one z-level though. I never did try dropping more than one z-level, though I'm sure it can be done with the other pressure-regulating trick.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The Bad Shepherd wrote:Until I see "fixed crutch walking" and/or "fixed issue with dwarfs waiting infinitely at designated water source to make plaster cast" I'm not downloading the next patch. These were issues six months ago, and fairly major ones to boot.
I'm not trying to be a bitch, it's just that pandas and beehives do not honestly interest me that much, I'd rather have Cpl. Miller stand up and be able to walk again. :cry:
Well sounds like good news on that front... Toady had mentioned earlier the next release would focus on older bugs, and today he posted that he's planning on fixing issues with healthcare next. I expect that means crutches will be fixed in the next release.