[Roguelike] Dwarf Fortress

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaymon

Re: [Roguelike] Dwarf Fortress

Post by Jaymon »

I wanted to make some high value furniture, so I built an isolated gem workshop, surrounded it with a custom furniture stockpile that only accepts metal furniture, (and glass windows), then crafted a small pile of platinum furniture; cabinets, weapons racks, that sort of thing. Designated the gem workshop so only my master gem setter could use it. Queued up a few diamonds to encrust furniture.
First thing he grabs and covers with diamonds? An iron anvil. Whoops.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Jaymon wrote:Making soap is bugged and its super tricky to do.

The dwarf who makes the lye won't check to make sure he has an empty bucket before he starts, he will grab any old bucket and make the lye in it, often resulting in a bucket that has lye+water in it. If that happens, the bucket is now horked, and can't be used to make soap.
You may have to do some fiddling to make sure you get a bucket that has lye and only lye.

Once there is a bucket with only lye in it, another dwarf comes along and pours the lye into an empty barrel in a food stockpile, so make sure you have a food stockpile that will accept lye.

Now comes another tricky bit. If you have version .20 or higher, you should be good to make some soap.

Version 19 or earlier, the soapmaker won't use the barrel of lye if its in a food stockpile, so once you have verified that the lye is out of the bucket and in the barrel, get the barrel of lye out of the food stockpile. Now you can make soap.
Horked might be right I've got three soap now. I'm not sure what made it right sometimes but not others.

an anvil? :lol:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

If a dwarf puts lye into a bucket of water, do all dwarves in the near vicinity suffer coughing fits and burning eyes thanks to the toxic vapors being generated?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I put the lye in the bucket and I drink it right up, I put the lye in the bucket and I drink it right up.
I say, Doctor!
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Paingod wrote:If a dwarf puts lye into a bucket of water, do all dwarves in the near vicinity suffer coughing fits and burning eyes thanks to the toxic vapors being generated?
IT PUTS THE LYE IN THE BASKET!!!!
The Bad Shepherd

Post by The Bad Shepherd »

Made some Soap. Forgotten Beast Soap.

Basically, the workshop says that the Soap cannot be made, which is bullshit because we have an outrageous amount of Lye (lies!) and Tallow. Going to the work menu, ordering 30 bars of soap to be made, and then making sure it repeated on the workshop seemed to do the trick.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Are you still running an older version? You are probably already aware, but I know a few versions ago there was still the problem of Lye in stores not being used. It's not perfect, but I found forbidding it from all my food stores freed it up for use in soap again.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dwarves and SOAP?? What is this fortress coming to?

Sheeesh. It'll be sobriety next.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I may have finally found a way to slow the game down to keep me from getting slaughtered by a 50 troop vile force on 2nd year. So far so good. I am almost to year 3, I haven't built above ground yet, I haven't dug more than 4 layers deep, refused a barony (No idea if the offer will come back later), and I've only traded for seeds, thread, rope, leather, cloth, and an anvil.

I've mined out an entire 4x4 area and rather than digging deeper for the moment, I'm above ground leveling the area to prepare building walls, above ground rooms, above ground farms, pastures and tree farming areas.

This may be first game I make it to the fifth year... Maybe... Hopefully the goblins don't get word that I'm trying to build my own armor rather than trading for it.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My current for is 6 years in. The furthest I've ever made it since understanding Z Levels. I'm almost up to 200 dwarves. My Countess went insane and then died right before I became a Duchy. Will they offer to replace her? Should I care?

I fear the next siege something fierce. I've been working on walling off most of the world after flattening it and there's no way I'll finish before the next big attack and they are big. The good news is that I have 50 person military (of mostly raw recruits) and I've been cranking steel stuff as best I can. *fingers crossed* I've avoided digging deep enough to hit the first cavern and kept my trading to a minimum hoping not to trigger too much advancement too quick but the steel production seems to have jacked things forward a bit.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Holy shit... some cool stuff going into the next patch. Toady talked earlier about towns having large detailed layouts, catacombs, sewers, etc now, and then this today:
Toady One wrote: I set up the raw structure for the necromancer stuff. It works the same way as the dead being raised in evil regions, except now the interaction type is a "secret" instead of a regional power, and this secret can be learned in various ways. The general idea is that by learning certain secrets, a historical figure in world gen gains various traits -- in the example it is immortality and the ability to animate the dead (via a syndrome which negates aging and imparts the ability to perform an "interaction"). The secrets are at first imparted by gods or demons or megabeasts with the proper sphere alignment (death in this case), and then the secrets can be passed down in writing (if permitted by their tags), probably in the form of an artifact stone tablet/slab or something until we have books, so that direct supernatural intervention isn't always required, especially in longer history worlds. Secrets can also be experimentally researched by world gen people if their tags permit.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

The new update is sounding more and more like it's going to be a big change. Apparently not only will Necromancers setup up their own towers and stuff now those towers will spawn armies that will attack you in fortress mode! Can't wait to see a small elite force of dwarves fending off hundreds of damn, dirty undead.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Was going on *another* new town. My best start yet. Life is solid. I've learned a lot about customizing armor (and still have a long way to go) and was surviving well into my 6th year when the fricken duchess put a ban on exporting of bins. She has a serious bin fetish and it's going to be a serious problem. Twice a season she command that I build 2 new bins, no problem, but this ban has lasted two seasons so far and ultimately looks like one that will return not too long after it gets lifted.

Fortunately, I've got stocks for just about everything I need over long haul except meat. I get to a point every game where my hunters spontaneously decide to stop hunting and my live stock is always crappy. (though I'm getting better that too)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A one-eyed fiend lawgiver diplomat may have shown up right before I got invaded by trolls, goblins and their pets. And I may have accidentally not identified the targets properly before adding the diplomat to the kill list.

But I definitely found out that either you can't kill diplomats or I can't killed one-eyed fiends. Either way, it has not been a pleasant evening at the fortress. :?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
The Bad Shepherd

Isgrimnur wrote:A one-eyed fiend lawgiver diplomat may have shown up right before I got invaded by trolls, goblins and their pets. And I may have accidentally not identified the targets properly before adding the diplomat to the kill list.

But I definitely found out that either you can't kill diplomats or I can't killed one-eyed fiends. Either way, it has not been a pleasant evening at the fortress. :?
Um, yeah. Occasionally (VERY RARELY) a Demon will take over a Human or Goblin civilization. They may show up as a diplomat. They are as tough, resilient, and as possessive of bizarre qualities as any inhabitant of hell. Do not engage unless you really know what you are doing...

Lucky bastard. I want to see that happen! My Human diplomat just hangs out at the edge of the map and gets shot at by goblins. He's been standing outside for about eight years now.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You want to know what the worst part is? He was helping me by attacking the invading army. I didn't take that as a clue and marked him for death. A number of my dwarves suffocated from his poisonous breath.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I haven't gotten far enough to get human or elven diplomats. :( How many hours of playing does that take? Right now the 6th year in usually kicks me ass and 6 years is usually about 12 hours or more of play time. I finally seem to be able to survive my 6th year and I get this ban on bins. I'm crossing my fingers that my farmers, fisherman, plant gatherer, and brewers can get me through this ban and will have to stock to prepare for an eventual 2nd ban.

Why do hunters suddenly get useless about four or five years into the game? They sit there with no job in preference to hunting a half dozen or more creatures out there and let some of the wandering wild come right into the fortress. I want to start sending my military out to kill critters but they don't bring back the food or bones or leather unless the beasts are underground.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, my hunters recently started acting like they unionized as well.

The tip I found was to change your standing orders [o] to permit the dwarves to gather refuse outside. They will then go pick up any corpses left laying around outdoors and put them in the refuse pile, which, I believe, can then be ordered to be butchered.

Final tally on last night's damage. Population dropped from 144 to 98. I may have accidentally put half of my nobles into squads and gotten them killed, so I had to reassign them and their stuff. I'm still not done building coffins. At soon as I toggle them as available, they get assigned. At least I had the forethought after the last mass casualty event to expand the mausoleum out with enough floor space to accommodate the need. I'm going to have to dig out a new one after this...

Oh, and I finally figured out that all that magnetite I've got laying around is actually good for something... IRON. :doh: I guess I should have paid more attention in geology class back in HS.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:The tip I found was to change your standing orders [o] to permit the dwarves to gather refuse outside. They will then go pick up any corpses left laying around outdoors and put them in the refuse pile, which, I believe, can then be ordered to be butchered.
Really? I've been trying to figure out how to do that forever. Thank you. I think I'm about to have labor shortage.

Final tally on last night's damage. Population dropped from 144 to 98. I may have accidentally put half of my nobles into squads and gotten them killed, so I had to reassign them and their stuff. I'm still not done building coffins. At soon as I toggle them as available, they get assigned. At least I had the forethought after the last mass casualty event to expand the mausoleum out with enough floor space to accommodate the need. I'm going to have to dig out a new one after this...
I've had enough 50 dwarf kills from vile forces in the past that I always have a 15x15 room full of empty coffins. Morbid, huh? I also have a 15 x15 empty room just waiting for slabs. (And what a pain slabs are)

Oh, and I finally figured out that all that magnetite I've got laying around is actually good for something... IRON. :doh: I guess I should have paid more attention in geology class back in HS.
The wiki has been my friend for these sorts of things.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The [o] command helped clean up a bit but there is still a ton of crap laying around the fortress. Most peculiar and in particual all of the food they dropped in the armor storage area not the least of which is plump helmets that will eventually rot. And my hunters still won't hunt. I'm not sure if my butcher who I set to manually go to the refuse pile and butcher corpses is getting meat from the animals I have my military slaughter. I've never seen any meat or leather come out of there but I am getting bones.

My biggest gripe is still the dutchess who has lifted the ban on bin three times now, only to reenect it every time right before traders come. Why did I ever agree to becoming a barony? It doesn't actually give you anything to my knowledge. But I'm still going. I think I may need more farmers and my dwarves may never see meat again as I just don't have enough animals to allow for butchering off my tiny farm.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Sounds like you need to look at the settings of your armor storage area and make sure that you've got food items ruled out.

I finally finished building enough coffins that I have two free. One of the dead turned into a ghost and stole one of my raw gems. :x And for some reason, I have a large number of cats suffocating, along with the odd dwarven child. I have no idea why it's happening. The locations are spread out, and I can't find any other indication as to why.

I've found my magma level, got stairs down to the cavern adjacent, and hatch covers on the level above, but have not yet breached the wall into the area, as I really don't feel like picking a new fight after the last debacle.

I have three squads up and training at 50% of the time. Given the number of idlers that I have, I may need to sit down and figure out work preferences and kit out the lesser workers as permanent soldiers on 100% train schedules if I can manage the workload. But that's a weekend project at best.

I hope this fortress keeps going, but after losing so many dwarves, I really fear for its long-term survival. I've learned a lot to apply to the next one.

And I'd rather be at home playing than here working. :?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:Sounds like you need to look at the settings of your armor storage area and make sure that you've got food items ruled out.
Did that last night.
I have three squads up and training at 50% of the time. Given the number of idlers that I have, I may need to sit down and figure out work preferences and kit out the lesser workers as permanent soldiers on 100% train schedules if I can manage the workload. But that's a weekend project at best.
I'm running six squads in 3 15x15 training halls. I'd move up to eight squads but it takes time to build training halls (which I mainly put above ground) When it's all said and done, I might find that 140 of my 200 dwarves end up as full time military. Sadly I think this confuses the dwarves with a lot of soldier cannot follow orders when they head off to combat but I get massive overwhelming attacks from seiges and I haven't learned a good way to hold them off yet. So much so that I might be sealing off my fortress if I can't trade anyway.

The bin ban is ridonkulous.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I rarely trade away anything in bins or barrels. I started my economy on raw gems, moved up to cut gems once I had the skill, and now I make such fine items as silver statues, silver spears, and pink tourmaline-encrusted socks. (I really wish there was greater control over what my jewelers encrusted).
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote:I rarely trade away anything in bins or barrels. I started my economy on raw gems, moved up to cut gems once I had the skill, and now I make such fine items as silver statues, silver spears, and pink tourmaline-encrusted socks. (I really wish there was greater control over what my jewelers encrusted).
All my gems are in bins, so I couldn't trade gems if I wanted to. The problem is not that I trade bins. I don't. Bins weight too much. The problem is everything I do trade is contained in bins and my dwarves won't bring bins to the depot.

I should look into statue trading, especially as I mine platinum. A single crappy platinum statue ought to fetch a hefty price.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It never occurred to me that gems could be stored in bins. I have a room that's nothing but a gem storage area, colored icons laying all over the place. I'll have to screenshot and post it.

Of course, now that I think about it, I don't believe that I've ever made any bins. Lots of barrels, some buckets, but never any bins. The only bins I believe I have are the cloth/leather ones that I import that are already full of leather or cloth.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

LordMortis wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:I rarely trade away anything in bins or barrels. I started my economy on raw gems, moved up to cut gems once I had the skill, and now I make such fine items as silver statues, silver spears, and pink tourmaline-encrusted socks. (I really wish there was greater control over what my jewelers encrusted).
All my gems are in bins, so I couldn't trade gems if I wanted to. The problem is not that I trade bins. I don't. Bins weight too much. The problem is everything I do trade is contained in bins and my dwarves won't bring bins to the depot.

I should look into statue trading, especially as I mine platinum. A single crappy platinum statue ought to fetch a hefty price.
Uuuuhhh... Dwarves will bring bins to the depot. That's the ONLY way I trade - by moving goods bins to the depot. You just have to make sure you choose the proper bin in the trade list.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

His noble won't let him export bins. As such, if he trades away a bin of anything, he's broken the mandate. It's not that he can't figure it out, his noble is making it difficult for him.

It may be time for said noble to have an "accident" and be introduced to her tomb that she demanded.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I can't see my bins on the trade list because they are banned. Because I can't see my bins, I can't trade their contents.

I think I can the [p] to not store everything in bins but I also think that constructing platinum statues will be easier, though I've never tried to trade furniture before. I do need to do something because I can't keep up with food or booze demand. Three farmers, a plant gather, a milker, a fisher man, and five hunters who don't hunt just aren't supplying enough to feed 174 plus a myriad of children.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I was also thinking about the accident but the last time I had a duke go insane, get naked, wander out into the forest and die. He was never replaced.
Zurai

Post by Zurai »

I've had bins banned before. You should still be able to see them, they'll just be purple (IIRC) in the trading list. Are you sure you don't have an option turned on somewhere to prevent dwarves from bringing banned objects to the trade post?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I am not sure. Where would that option be?

The wiki says something about a culling option. No idea where to find it.
While selecting goods to be brought to the depot, the "culling on mandates" option will prevent banned objects from being selected, though if a finished goods bin contains a single banned object, the entire bin will be excluded.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Ban" target="_blank
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

When you go to the Depot screen to move items, there's a setting at the bottom to toggle it. If I get one this evening, I'll screenshot it for you, as I can't find a pic online.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I lost two miners and injured another four in a channeling accident. I had strips dug to flood an outdoor room to make an outdoor farm plot. Once I had it flooded, I had the miners channel out the top strips to open the whole thing. All of them were standing on the same strip when they channeled off opposite ends of the strip. :doh:

Two died almost immediately of their wounds. The other four eventually recovered after the liberal application of bandages, sutures, splints and crutches. And three of the four plots are listed as underground crops, while the fourth says that no seeds are available, even after I bought bags from the elven caravan. :grund:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Absolutely awesome. I never noticed that before. Almost two years of no trading is about to be resolved this weekend. Now to figure out how to layer armor properly because what I have seems to be a clusterfark. The big problem is that I don't understand the math behind how to layer the armor even a little. I changed to go by the wiki and let the chips fall where they may and my dwarves survive better until a goblin master shows up. Then adamantine and steel or not, he single handedly can kill 60 military like roaches.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yeah, there have been plenty of times that I've found I'm missing an easy setting for an option that's been there the whole time.

This one's not documented on the screen, but if you hit the civilizations screen and hit enter on the highlighted civ, it will take you to a new window that has several different screens of information. It will tell you who the leaders of the civ are, what the import/export amounts are, if you have any agreements with them.
Spoiler:
The import export for the goblins is pretty funny.
I put hatch covers over the stairs up from the magma cavern and had my miners carve a staging area, and then breached the cavern. A Forgotten Beast had spawned down there earlier, so I knew he was there. As soon as the miners cleared, I locked down the hatch covers. The FB made a beeline for the stairs like he thought he was getting a free lunch, only to be stymied by the covers. Let's hear it for decent planning for a change! :horse:

I then promptly screwed that up by deploying a squad to go down and engage him. I screwed up the attack orders and left one guy hanging out to dry. The damn beast bit him in the head and started strangling him. Luckily, the FB was pretty bad at it and I was able to get the rest of the squad down there to kill the bugger before he died. He's in the hospital getting bandaged, sutured, and splinted, so I'm hoping he makes a decent recovery.

I've built the three magma furnaces down there and I'm just needing the anvil to get the magma forge up and operating. This ought to have a positive effect on my wood supply issues, as I no longer need to devote trees for charcoal production just for fuel purposes. I can then start my metal forging projects in earnest and start getting some heavy duty iron production.

I'm still short on flux, but the humans should come back this year with some. It'll be expensive, no doubt, but I can then move into steel for a bit until I hopefully find my own stores.

I even discovered adamantine down a few levels. Unfortunately, it appears to be completely surrounded by magma bubble. I'm hoping there's some more available that's not red hot.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Looks like lycanthropy is in the next release now too. Anyone who visits your fortress could be cursed and can give that curse if they injure someone. That would make for one crazy story trying to stamp out the curse of the were-capybara from a thriving fort. :)

I do hope he gets back to working on the army stuff soon though. Sounds like he's adding lots of cool stuff to the world, but without the ability to send out parties of dwarves those features will only be accessible from adventure mode.
The Bad Shepherd

*Layering Armor for Geniuses - Because Dummies Long Ago Gave Up On the UI*

Step 1: Smelt lots of Greaves, Helms, Gauntlets, High Boots, Breastplates
Helms, greaves, and breastplates can repel blunt attacks. High boots grant greater coverage (extending to the lower leg) than low boots (just the foot). Currently, your Dwarf has his head, chest and stomach, his legs, feet, hands, and lower arm covered. His upper arm is still exposed. All covered areas are resistant to blunt, piercing, and hacking damage.

Step 2: Make many leather (or silk) cloaks, and mail shirts
According to the Wiki, you can stack 6 cloaks and 3 mail shirts over the breastplate. The game, however, only lets me stack 2 mail shirts. I have not tested cloaks. Cloaks provide light protection to the entire body (including the throat, which is very important) while mail shirts are vulnerable to blunt damage, but cover the chest, stomach, upper leg, and upper arm. Put two of them on the Dwarf for full body coverage. Add additional cloaks if you wish, I do not know if it lets you stack 6...
Your Dwarf now has head protection, triple layered chest and stomach protection, upper arm protection, lower arm and hand protection, double layered upper leg protection, double layered lower leg protection, and foot protection. All but the upper arm is virtually invulnerable to blunt damage.

Step 3: Kill shit

Step 4: Profit. No really, sell the goblin shit.
"Shepard." -Wrex
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So how do you manage it?

Go to the Military screen, clear the assignments, and manually stack in order the appropriate items? Any chance we can get some screenies of the process?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur wrote:So how do you manage it?

Go to the Military screen, clear the assignments, and manually stack in order the appropriate items? Any chance we can get some screenies of the process?
I haven't tried it using multiple mail shirts, but you should be able to do this by setting up each dwarfs items directly via the squad screen, or by setting it all up as a uniform and assigning that uniform to a squad.