Bioshock - Excited about the successor to System Shock 2?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Grifman

Bioshock - Excited about the successor to System Shock 2?

Post by Grifman »

News on this broke about the time GG went down, so I never had a chance to discuss this:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/biosh ... 10044.html

The video interview at Gamespot with Ken Levine is also very interesting.

Here's also an IGN article/interview:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/556/556421p1.html?fromint=1

Here's the new TTLG site for the game:

http://www.sshock2.com/bioshock/

I don't think I've been so exited about a title since Deus Ex: Invisible Wars was announced. Hmm, don't guess I should mention that one seeing how it turned out.

That said, I still am excited. Based upon the interview with Ken Levine, it doesn't look like Irrational has forgotten what made SS2 a success. And they still have most if not all of the original developers on hand.

Any thoughts?

Grifman
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

I'm very interested; SS2 is one of my all-time favorite games, they just got the atmosphere down so perfectly IMHO. I would love to be able to play SS1 but I don't like the interface and the graphics are just too dated. Not that I'm that much of a graphics whore, but I just find it hard to recognize objects when they're that badly pixellated.

So when is Bioshock due out?
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
none

Post by none »

it's been in design for three years. and as far as i know, bioshock will be made using unreal technology. so at least irrational won't have to construct an engine from scratch. but with all this talk of emergent gameplay and other such complexities, i'd imagine that testing will take up a whole lot of time and resources.

as an aside, i have no doubt that the story will, at the very least, be interesting. and the voice-acting and audio production will be top notch. Mr. Levine and Mr. Brosius will take care of that, i'm sure. and speaking of voice-acting, i really hope there's a female french character in bioshock. i simply must hear that delacroix accent again. :)
JayG

Post by JayG »

I can't wait. There hasn't been too many First person RPGs lately, so one by the masters has me excited. I'm not normaly someone who buys games without checking the forums and reviews first, but this will be an exception.
ChrisGrenard

Post by ChrisGrenard »

Hey, I have faith in them. Between this and F.E.A.R. the future is looking pretty good for niche FPS games. I likey.
I'm special!
freelunch

Post by freelunch »

Raven_13 wrote:I would love to be able to play SS1 but I don't like the interface and the graphics are just too dated. Not that I'm that much of a graphics whore, but I just find it hard to recognize objects when they're that badly pixellated.
if memory serves there was an official patch that upped the in-game resolution of SS1 - at the time (pre 3D-acceleration) it looked stunning on my 486DX33 though it chugged a little. if you run it patched now it should certainly be hi-res enough to be playable.
Books I finished in: 2022 | 2021 | 2020

Scrobbling at last.fm
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Andrew wrote:
Raven_13 wrote:I would love to be able to play SS1 but I don't like the interface and the graphics are just too dated. Not that I'm that much of a graphics whore, but I just find it hard to recognize objects when they're that badly pixellated.
if memory serves there was an official patch that upped the in-game resolution of SS1 - at the time (pre 3D-acceleration) it looked stunning on my 486DX33 though it chugged a little. if you run it patched now it should certainly be hi-res enough to be playable.
Yes, but it is still very pixellated. There's only so much you can do with a game that old.

Grifman
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

Grifman wrote:
Andrew wrote:
Yes, but it is still very pixellated. There's only so much you can do with a game that old.

Grifman
Exactly. I spent some time looking online for a user-made graphics upgrade mod, but there doesn't seem to be one in existence. :?
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous