Neverwinter Nights PE worth it for singleplayer only?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Caligula

Neverwinter Nights PE worth it for singleplayer only?

Post by Caligula »

Was debating this one...but I have no interest in multiplayer RPG's. Is this worth it for just the singleplayer?
WPD

Post by WPD »

I think the general consensus is the original campaign ain't worth a lick but the two expansions are pretty good.
disarm

Post by disarm »

the original campaign isn't terrible, but BG2 or PS:T it is definitely not. both expansions are fun though...HotU is especially good. i'd highly recommend picking up the PE. if you're hungry for more after those three modules, there are enough user-created single-player modules available to keep you playing for a very long time.
Orpheo

Post by Orpheo »

I haven't played NWN in awhile, but when I was, most of the really good modules were either single player only, or could be played multi but were obviously meant for single.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Honestly, I'd rather do a pen-and-paper version than multiplayer any day. Single player is good with the expansions, and some of the user created single player missions are awesome. NWN is good, but never had that "play until you drop" aspect of Baldur's Gate or Morrowind (at times).

"I attack the darkness!"
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Darrell999

Post by Darrell999 »

I've always really enjoyed playing NWN single-player. As others have pointed out, the expansions both make for a fun RPG experience, and there are many modules at http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/modulesTop2.shtml that are very well done and offer good stories/good dialogue/good fun.
EngineNo9

Post by EngineNo9 »

Hell yeah it's worth it!
knob

Post by knob »

This thread made me go get it. I've only put maybe an hour into it, but I think I'm regretting it.

I bought NWN when it first came out and didn't care for it because I really don't care for the engine. And it hasn't changed at all with the expansions.

Oh well, I'll try it some more later.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
Brinstil

Post by Brinstil »

I'd recommend only playing the campaigns for the expansions. The campaign for vanilla NWN seemed too dull.
Asharak

Post by Asharak »

I'll be a voice against the consensus here are mention that I really enjoyed the SP campaign of NWN, although I can't remember if I played the expansions... don't think so, though.

All the same, I never had any intention of playing it MP, and enjoyed it quite a lot.

Before I can answer your question, though, what's the price point on the PE (and could you get a better deal without it)?

- Ash
knob

Post by knob »

The PE is $39.99

I'm sure you can find a better deal if you really want to. Buying it through eBay or Amazon's Market place. But that's a lot of hassle, and the shipping charges (if you had to buy them seperately) would probably put you over.
If I had a sig, would you read it?
bluefugue

Post by bluefugue »

Hmm, interesting topic. I bought NWN when it came out, strongly disliked the initial campaign... gave the game to my brother. Heard the expansions are better and of course there are a million user-made campaigns now. Thinking about buying the PE now... but still a little dubious.

If it ever drops below $20 price point I'll probably snap it up, but maybe not before then.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

I play user made mods all the time and while most suck, some are very, very good. The rankings at the neverwinter vault are pretty accurate.

I especially like the remakes of original PnP modules. The engine is limited but even seeing the town names, characters and basic stories of those old mods brings back memories.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

Asharak wrote:I'll be a voice against the consensus here are mention that I really enjoyed the SP campaign of NWN, although I can't remember if I played the expansions... don't think so, though.

- Ash
The SP campaign isn't bad, but there's some really irritating features to it. The endless box smashing for one, drove me crazy after a while. They dealt with that in the expansions, but I'd like to see a mod that got rid of them for the original campaign.
acidflesh

Post by acidflesh »

I know you talking about single player but you should try to get in an organized dm'ed game. A great place to look for that is www.neverwinterconnections.com.

Ive had the best time on persistent world servers though. If you find one that fits your playing style it can be pure gaming heaven.

af
-long time lurker first time poster...[/url]