[vent] Call of Duty Multiplayer

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wankerjr

[vent] Call of Duty Multiplayer

Post by wankerjr »

I went to a little LAN get together last night and the game of choice was Call of Duty deathmatch (over UT2K4 :x ). I don't get it - maybe it's just me. For some reason I just couldn't get into the gameplay as I was getting pwned consitently by everyone else. Granted that it was only my 2nd time ever playing but it was frustrating, slow to develop, hard-to-see gameplay. Maybe the maps were too big for the six of us but I was really ineffective. I know that the style of gameplay is different from any of the "twitch" shooters but should it be that difficult to find your opponent? Half the time I was running around (maybe crouching around would be the better term but it doesn't sound right) trying to find where the heck everybody was. I'd hear gunfire, I'd see the death notifications but for the love of chicken the moment I "found" my opponents I was dead. Honestly I would be still in the shadows and they'd snipe me whereas if any of them were in the shadows I couldn't see them until I was right on top of them or getting the replay of the kill (which also irritated me to no end). I really hated to sound like whiner last night but I figured 3.5 hrs of this was enough and complained to play some UT2K4 with them. That just killed it as then a two people decided to leave. And everyone else just didn't want to play.. except for one person but he just gave up after 10 minutes. I figured that if we spent most of the time playing CoD a change of pace would be good but I guess not. Oh well..I guess I should ask what should I be doing different in CoD? I crouch, I try to keep moving, I bring up the sight to shoot, but I can hardly buy a frag! Plus the difficulty in me seeing anything in shadows or players moving appears to be me.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
jblank

Post by jblank »

Well, some of that chaotic, frantic gameplay, is inherent to the game, so thats normal, and one of the reasons I love the game so much, its just like I would imagine actual combat to be. As for what you should do, I would suggest you try to stick with teammates, to help give you a bit more security. If you have to lone wolf it, utilize cover, particularly junk equipment and debris. Stay low, stay hidden, and dont look down the barrel when you see a target, unless he is stationary and doesnt see you. It slows you down, and actually increases your chance of getting killed.

As for finding targets, dont lock in on one spot. You have to constantly keep moving your eyes, searching for movement. Use your ears to listen to gunfire, stay close to enemy strongholds, and believe me, targets will be plenty.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Don't forget there's a little minimap in the bottom left corner. I use it often to figure out where everybody is and where the major fighting is happening.

If you're playing the "Objectives" mode then you can at least try camping out at some of the objectives and preventing the enemy from getting them. I also recommend avoiding roads and clearings and using the "sprint" key to get from cover to cover as much as possible.

The way I get around (near the frontlines) is to go prone in cover, look around, listen, find a good spot to run to, stand up, sprint to the spot, go prone. Repeat as necessary.

If all else fails you can at least get in a vehicle and use it as a long range gun platform. Just stay away from buildings and woods so you can easily spot enemy infantry with bazookas and panzershrecks.
Jow

Post by Jow »

I've had games like that too. We've done quite a bit of CoD on LAN. Some maps are also notorious for making you wander forever to find people and I don't find that too fun.

I suggest trying "Behind Enemy Lines" mode. If you haven't played that, there are two teams, the Brits and the Germans. The Germans have to hunt down the Brits. While the Brits stay alive, they're constantly (and slowly) scoring points. When you're German and kill a Brit, the Brit respawns as a German and vice versa. As an added twist, the Germans have a vague idea where the Brits are on the map via a little indicator on the minimap. It's a ton of fun and pretty tense. Try it on the Chateau map as that's small enough where you're running into people pretty frequently.
raydude

Post by raydude »

My bad, I thought the initial post was about the United Offensive expansion. Looks like it is for the original game. In which case my advice doesn't apply, except for maybe using the minimap :).
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

raydude wrote:My bad, I thought the initial post was about the United Offensive expansion. Looks like it is for the original game. In which case my advice doesn't apply, except for maybe using the minimap :).
We actually played both so thanks for the suggestions.
Yet another shameless plug..for something