OK, who's an xpert at troubleshooting Sanitarium? [Spoilers]

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Teggy

OK, who's an xpert at troubleshooting Sanitarium? [Spoilers]

Post by Teggy »

I haven't found any reference to this bug on the Net, so I figured I'd take a shot in the dark and post it here.

I was very excited to pick up Sanitarium for $2.48 at Target a few months back, but when I installed in on my notebook, it wouldn't run. I figured this was because I am running XP and have a Radeon, which is apparently a no go for game.

Ok, fast forward to a few months later, I'm done with grad school, finished my move, ready to play a game again. I also have 98SE on my notebook, so I install Sanitarium. Success! It works...until Chapter 5.

[spoilers]
During the chalkboard puzzle, the first two chalkboards solve, but the third chalkboard doesn't work. I get a hand cursor over the letters, but it doesn't do anything. So I am stuck in the lab.
[/spoilers]

Anyone ever see this? Is there at least a way to just skip to the next chapter? I haven't found any cheats on the web either.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I'm afraid I'm not gonna be much help here.
There was a patch for this game which addressed getting stuck in a level, but I seem to remember it was level 2. And being a re-release, I'm guessing the game might be already patched in the version you're playing. But you may still want to check which version you have and compare it to the patch(es) available.

Also, have you tried a walkthrough yet?

Great game though. I loved the atmosphere. The game was soaked in it.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Laura

Post by Laura »

A google search produced this:

"In case any of you have experienced the same problem in Sanitarium Chapter 5
on the third chalkboard as me (you can't see any of the letters appear when
you click them as on the other 2 chalkboards), I talked to tech support and
they told me that this has been reported before... what you can do is
restart the level and go to the third chalkboard before going to the other 2"

You might try just going to the last save first and see if that solves the problem.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

Thanks so much for finding that, I will have to try it out. I didn't come across that when I searched.
Laura

Post by Laura »

When trying to solve game problems, I find that I do better by using the "group" catagory at Google. Then type in "Sanitarium chalkboard".
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

ah, I didn't think to check newsgroups :oops: If they knew about this issue, you'd think they would post it on their web site. Or maybe respond to the e-mail that I sent them.

Well, it worked :) I'm glad that I had a save from chapter 4, so I didn't have to replay too much.
Laura

Post by Laura »

Good! :D I remember hearing it discussed in a newsgroup years ago. It's a great game.