Funcom reveals 'The Secret World'

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jag

Re: Funcom reveals 'The Secret World'

Post by Jag »

I don't think combat has changed. Probably the biggest complaint I've read about the game.

I go melee so it's not an issue, but ranged combat is more about kiting/running than staying at range. Which probably makes sense. It's not like a monster is going to stand there and let you shoot him from a distance until he's dead.
neofit

Post by neofit »

Jag wrote:I don't think combat has changed. Probably the biggest complaint I've read about the game.
Too bad, thanks. It seemed quite original, but I was still spending the majority of the time fighting.
Jag wrote:but ranged combat is more about kiting/running than staying at range.
I don't remember the game being kiting friendly. When in combat you could crawl, not run. And after the first shot/pull they were onto you before the AR/cattle prod could recharge for another shot. I could tiptoe out of the special attack cone of some big single creature, but it made no sense against small groups that made 90% of the Kingsmouth population that I saw.
Jag wrote:Which probably makes sense. It's not like a monster is going to stand there and let you shoot him from a distance until he's dead.
It doesn't eally make sense. In games where ranged weapons are handled properly I barely melee, they are not pulling devices but efficient ranged damage dealing contraptions.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

The combat supposedly (I didn't play the game until release) changed pretty dramatically at the very end of the beta. The complaints about the combat system mostly went away when that happened.
Insert witty comment here.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I did not play in the Beta and only just recently (a week ago) started playing the game so I cannot speak to how it was before. That being said current combat is somewhere in-between what Neofit describes. My current build is Assault Rifle/Blades and I have been playing around with a Shotgun build as well. While there are a few skills which have a delay the vast majority of AR and Shotgun skills I've used so far fire about as fast as you can click the mouse. The game does use a build/consume mechanic though so while you can keep squeezing off rounds with your builder you do have a delay in how often you can or should use your big damage abilities. A number of well known or more popular MMO's use a similar mechanic so Funcom isn't unique in this they've just put a their own spin on it.

Different zones apparently have different creature make-up. Kingsmouth (the starting zone) tends to lean heavily toward packs of weak zombies and occasionally the single harder hitting creature encounter. The Savage Coast (the next zone) apparently switches things up with a far greater number of single creature encounters. This seems to be a small point of contention and throws a lot of players off who designed their builds to be AOE effective based on their initial experience and then run into hard times when they have to adjust for single target battles.

The classic MMO ranged style of play seems to basically be non-existent in Secret World unless your grouping. Magic attacks tend to have a decent range as does the assault rifle but the shotgun and pistol range is only a meter or two greater than melee so no much at all. There are no persistent pets to hold aggro and only a small percentage of creatures will stay at range and allow you to hit them from a distance, the majority will simply close distance quickly and try to eat your face.(I have not moved past Kingsmouth so this is not from personal experience but rather my research on the game recently). Obviously in a group if a tank is holding aggro you can stay at range and pick off creatures, this apparently is the preferred method of play for running dungeons. Solo ranged builds have trouble, in dungeons melee DPS apparently spend a lot of time face planted.

The nice thing about Secret World is you can maintain multiple builds which you can switch to as needed similar to Rift or GW2. I've probably put 30 or 40 hours into the game now and I will agree, in my opinion, combat is it's weakest link. However I also find this game to have the least amount of combat in any MMO I've played. I ran a quest last night with a buddy of mine and in the two hours of playing we were not required to kill a single creature. The core of Secret World is story, dialogue, LOTS OF DIALOGUE, puzzle solving etc. Combat seems almost tacked on just because "hey it's an MMO we gotta have some combat".

The developers have a strong vision for this game and for good or bad seem to be sticking to it. This is not your traditional MMO, if anything I would say this game is the anti-WoW clone. Personally my feelings about the game are still mixed, have had some great fun but also a good deal of frustration so far. For 10 bucks and no sub I'm willing to give it some more time to see how it pans out.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Tao

Post by Tao »

Anyone interested in running Polaris this weekend? Post or IM me, have myself and a buddy of mine looking to run it. Would be open to doing the next dungeon too but may not be geared well enough yet. Have QL6 weapons but still really crappy Talismans.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

I need to do Polaris --> Voshi

So game performance during the big raids was absolutely horrible with DX11 and 1 Radeon 6950. Was getting 10-17FPS in raids and 20-50FPS in the world solo i.e. fog / rain = 20 fps with stuttering... sunshine = 50 fps with stuttering!! I enabled crossfire, which of course led me to corrupted graphics again. Switched to DX9 and graphics cleared up and now I'm getting 65-85 FPS in the world. Guess I can live with the graphics downgrade, but now I'm considering upgrading my video card to a gtx780. Tired of ATI bugs. Might as well see what bugs Nvidia has in store for me... : :grund: Or I could wait it out. Supposedly ATI is really going to release a drivers patch at the end of July to fix these problems. For the realsies this time!!!

I've learned to be frugal with spending SP... after becoming a Maverick then losing the presidency race, I'm beginning to doubt my Pistol/Blade combo. So then it's like Blade/fists or elemental/blade or pistol / blood or random/random... /sigh.

6SP = pistols, 4SP=blades, 2SP=blood. 12 SP unspent.
48AP in pistols, 41 AP in blades, 41AP in blood. 42 AP unspent.

Guess I could go commit to being 100% non-commital and fill in the entire inner AP ring.
Oh well, I guesstimate I've got 1-4 more quests before I'm done with Kingsmouth then I can see what life is like in the next zone. At the moment, I can kill everything solo with what I've got, so I don't see any need to spend points, just yet. Will let points stack up till I hit a wall of constant death.

On the whole Kingsmouth storyline has been pretty good. Only 2 NPCs whose acting was truly sub-par (Priest and Skater-boy). Freaking monotone. Yes, great no dramatic talent whatsoever. Just say all the lines as if you are at the DMV reading a legal document. Don't alter pacing or cadence!! Good Job!! I wouldn't have noted or cared about the bad acting, except for its stark contrast to the excellent work done by all the other characters. The fortune teller had the best delivery (and most amusing dialogue)... too bad she got so little story to tell. Edgar sounds very familiar can't quite place the voice tho, perhaps just coincidence. All the police station folks were solid.
Tao

Post by Tao »

http://www.badomens.net/calculator" target="_blank

I've probably spent as many hours on this site as I have playing the game. The filters are really nice for quickly finding synergies etc.

I like blade quite a bit, some nice combos in the inner rings and some really solid abilities as you work your way down the outer ones. Blade Torrent is a fantastic builder, builds 1 of each resource, is a frenzy attack (PBAOE) and you can combo it with Perfect Storm to make it also Afflict. Throw in Forking Path a bit later and you have another PBAOE dual builder that provides a constant heal. Martial Discipline+Regeneration is a great "oh shit" ability too. Five Petal Lotus is a good consumer for awhile as well and eventually you can work toward Clearing the Path, which is what I am currently using. Holy cow does it do a lot of damage when it procs. Steel Palace is another blade ability which seems like a great candidate to use as the core of a build. Problem with Blades is every single skill looks like a must have :D

Right now I am using Blade with Assault Rifle heavy Affliction/Penetration build with just a smidgen of Hinder and it's working pretty well in Savage Coast. Had to switch in Dancing Blade when I got to Savage Coast as there are way fewer packs and more hard hitting single encounters. Blade also has some nice Impair (interrupt/stun) abilities but I've been trying to stay clear of Impaired and Hinder stuff as from what I read it's very bad in dungeons. Would rather learn early NOT to use them.

I've tried out a 60 point AR/Elemental build which worked pretty well and Shotgun/Elemental which worked really well and Blood/Elemental which I didn't much care for but I haven't tried Blade/Elemental. The early elemental abilities seem to lean toward ranged very high DPS single target attacks so for me I'm just not feeling the synergy with Blade.

I need about 60 AP to complete the build I am working on and after that I will most likely farm Kingsmouth again to pick up the basic Fist and Chaos abilities.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Tao wrote:I will most likely farm Kingsmouth again to pick up the basic Fist and Chaos abilities.
Yikes, no thanks! I understand the completionist nature of your goal, but for me, if I feel like experimenting to that extent, I'll just roll up an alt so I can at least experience another faction story (even if the differences in faction stories are largely superficial).

I moved to the big city for a reason. I don't wanna be a farmer! Course that may change if I so badly mangle my build that I have to move back home to live with the folks and plow the back 40... maybe go visit that young widow Jacoby down by the crick...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

In my Dragon setup of Kingsmouth, I was sent to Brooklyn, and found that I was just a hair underpowered with my Blade/Chaos build. I'm working around the airport to do a little better, and have the path to The Savage Coast open now. I've completed the inner circles of Blade and Chaos so far, and started on a couple of outer circle blade abilities.

How do you find friends in this game?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Pyperkub wrote:How do you find friends in this game?
Do the Anniversary event every 2 hours. I have over 60 friends now and millions of coins from selling the drops since I got everything the bosses drop.

Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Tao wrote:http://www.badomens.net/calculator

I've probably spent as many hours on this site as I have playing the game. The filters are really nice for quickly finding synergies etc.
spare points accumulate quickly but there is a limited buffer of unspent 40 points for SPs and 175 points for APs. If you don't spend your points everything you earn after that will go down the drain.

Ahh good to know.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I didn't realize early on that about the max SP and AP you could bank and ran around for several hours with 40 SP. :( Couldn't figure out why my SP wasn't going up anymore then I noticed the /40 in the skill screen.

I think the friends list is SHIFT+F or you can open it from the pull down menu top left. Characters first and last names are ignored, it's the "Nickname" you chose that identifies your character in game. Should have posted this earlier my character is Ryushin, hit me with a friend invite. Still looking to do Polaris or the SC dungeon or just to run around and do some quests, damn moths have huge social aggro. :D
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Another question - what's the deal with the 'Issues'?

I received about 1200 store points for doing something and it appears as if Issue 6 (the Last Train to Cairo) and Issue 7 are available for about 1k. Do you need to buy these, or do they become regular content after awhile? If so, are they what I should buy, or are there better uses?

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Tao

Post by Tao »

You get the bonus points once you've completed 30 missions as sort of a thank you for buying the game.

I am fairly certain you have to purchase the "Issues" as added content although they're pretty cheap, something like 5 bucks. If you've just started playing I'm not sure if the new content is a great investment as you still have plenty of free content to go yet. Personally I took advantage of the anniversary sale and used my points to buy the 110 AP boost. If I run out of content I can always spend the 5 bucks later.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Pyperkub wrote:Another question - what's the deal with the 'Issues'?

I received about 1200 store points for doing something and it appears as if Issue 6 (the Last Train to Cairo) and Issue 7 are available for about 1k. Do you need to buy these, or do they become regular content after awhile? If so, are they what I should buy, or are there better uses?
I think the content is more for higher levels, so I held off on it since I may burn out before i get there. I used my 1200 pts for the runspeed boost since you are really running around alot. I finally made the cash to buy it from selling boss drops (several million) but it was money well spent for the speed increase.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Well this is on sale for 50% off on Steam right now so I checked to see if Amazon was price matching that and they are. So, I bought it and used the Amazon 'gooncave' code for an additional 15% off that. I figured for $12 why not give it a try? I guess I'll have a heap of learning and research to do to figure out what's what with this game.

Anybody got any suggestions for a faction? Are any more fun or cooler than the others?
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Tao

Post by Tao »

ColdSteel wrote:Anybody got any suggestions for a faction? Are any more fun or cooler than the others?
You can have 3 characters out of the box so you can check out each faction if you like, although that would be about the only reason to run more than one character. I ran an Illuminati character through 90% of Kingsmouth and then switched over to a Dragon character and re-ran the content and other than the very early faction indoctrination dialogue nothing was different. The game does not seem to differentiate for the regular quests. As you level up you will be offered Faction Rank quests which are obviously unique to each faction. I've done the first Dragon one and it was extremely good.

You can join groups with other factions and run quests or dungeons, PvP of course is the big caveat and Cabals (Guilds).

I would recommend spending an hour or so rolling one of each faction and just getting as far as Kingsmouth to get an idea for the different ideologies and philosophies if you are into the lore and back story.

Rather than having to browse the whole thread here are two good links to get started with for game mechanics and character development.

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/" target="_blank

http://www.badomens.net/" target="_blank

If you like add Ryushin to your friends list and I am glad to help answer any questions or help with any quests at least as far as the start of Blue Mountain.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Hey thanks Tao! Much appreciated. :D
"This game is best played with a warm cup of Folger's coffee in your hands, so you can actually smell the oppression while you relive the greatest period of all time. The period when white people discovered the world, and decided they didn't like it." - EUIV Steam user review
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Jag wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Another question - what's the deal with the 'Issues'?

I think the content is more for higher levels, so I held off on it since I may burn out before i get there. I used my 1200 pts for the runspeed boost since you are really running around alot. I finally made the cash to buy it from selling boss drops (several million) but it was money well spent for the speed increase.
About run speed, perhaps you are speaking of higher level upgrade?

for lowbies, you can buy faction run speed for 100K (which is pretty easy to get questing I have 400K and I'm barely to savage coast (i.e. zone 2). Faction speed is same boost as the store one which costs 360 points. I'd suggest just using the in-game 100K tokens for faction speed (from mobility trainer)

I would not waste 360 points on store speed.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

So, I created a Templar and played him to Kingsmouth. I just wasn't feeling the Templar style so I rolled a Dragon and tried him. The Dragon appeals to me much more so I'm now happily playing him in Kingsmouth.

It's an interested game but a weird one. There are a lot of little initial things to get beyond. The fonts are really tiny and can't be adjusted. Some of that can be fixed by editing an XML file but that doesn't fix the Journal text. Then there's the graphics. They have no vsynch setting (WTF?) so I had to set that using my nvidia control panel. The graphics engine seems poorly tuned and I had to play with the advanced settings to get my video card temperature down. And I have a very powerful card. It's like they took a MMO for 1995 and spliced a more modern one onto it. Very strange.

The game itself is quite fun. The writing and atmosphere is really good. The combat is okay. I'm pursuing a blade/fist build and that's working fine so far. I was having a hard time grasping exactly how to spend my SP but read that you should just stick with building defense or dps for a weapon and not spread the points and to level both weapons and don't forget the talismans too. It's a lot to take in for a new player.

I don't really understand leveling in this MMO. There doesn't seem to be any. I have a hard time telling where I am as far as what my character progression is.

There also doesn't seem to be an auction house in this game? So, I guess it's okay to just sell everything you find to vendors?

All in all, a very interesting MMO. I look forward to playing more.
Tao

Post by Tao »

ColdSteel wrote:There also doesn't seem to be an auction house in this game? So, I guess it's okay to just sell everything you find to vendors?
There is an auction house in London in the NW portion of the map. It's the location called B&D Bank I believe. The auction house NPC is also how you access your Bank and the Mail.

You should not really be selling anything to vendors except unusable Ambrosia's, the consumable that gives an immediate 5 resource points and QL1 and maybe QL2 consumable buffs.

Health/Hot/Barrier potions hang on to as you will start needing them in Savage Coast and beyond and they don't drop all that frequently. Weapons and Talismans that you are not using should be broken down for components using the crafting panel (Y key by default). I have only sold maybe a dozen items early on and I have accumulated well over a million Pax (gold) just from killing mobs and doing quests.

The game does seem to keep an internal gauge of your level I believe based on how many AP/SP you have as quests have a difficulty rating which changes as you go and I have noticed the color of the creature names changing colors ala typical MMO.
Jaymeson

Post by Jaymeson »

Hey there, been playing for a couple weeks now, really enjoying the game. At the tail-end of all the Kingsmouth quests, and have done Polaris about 5 times now (4 times successfully). Last night, the Polaris PUG i joined had a really hard time, and finally gave up at the final boss after 5 wipes - but it was fun, and a good learning experience. Really accentuated the need to move from survival builds to specific-role builds - we were hurting primarily because no one could tank effectively.

I'm running the Blade/Claw Survival build, but also have enough Blood skills that I could swap out and try a Healer build for Polaris, if anyone is up for it? I would dig getting in some practice as a healer with a friendly group.

Friend 'Seehawk' and drop me a line. I'm planning on being on most nights. Also wouldn't mind running some quests with folks, either.
Jaymeson

Post by Jaymeson »

BTW, I bought the game off Steam - does it come with all the DLC content? Or do I have to pay for all 7 subsequent new mission content?
Jag

Post by Jag »

The DLC is in game only from the store. The game gives you 1200 funcom points after 30 quests which can be used to buy issues. I think there are only 2 or 3 to buy right now.
Tao

Post by Tao »

There are 3 dlc's issue 5,6,7. Issue 5 is just over 5 bucks issue 6 & 7 are both 9 bucks. Have not read anything on 5 or 7 but 6, last train to cairo is supposed to be pretty fun. Very Indiana Jones.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

I must say that the quests in TSW are the best I've seen in any MMO. Very, very fun.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

The fonts are really tiny and can't be adjusted. Some of that can be fixed by editing an XML file but that doesn't fix the Journal text. Then there's the graphics. They have no vsynch setting (WTF?) so I had to set that using my nvidia control panel.
http://www.uimod.eu/customui/" target="_blank

You install the mods. Start up the game, turn on custom ui, and click on the journal. the custom ui panel will say "Default" click it to change it to "Enabled". then close the customui gui to save the change. Now turn off Secret world (you have to kill the client for this update to take effect) and goto C:\Users\<pcname>\AppData\Local\Funcom\TSW\Prefs\<character name>\Prefs2.xml

inside the file will be

Code: Select all

<Archive name="Mission Tracker">
                    <Double name="xr" value="0.000000" />
                    <Double name="yr" value="0.000000" />
                    <Double name="yp" value="0.000000" />
                    <Double name="x" value="1869.000000" />
                    <Double name="r" value="0.000000" />
                    <Double name="xs" value="120.000000" />
                    <Double name="ys" value="120.000000" />
                    <Double name="a" value="100.000000" />
                    <Double name="y" value="298.000000" />
                    <Double name="xp" value="0.000000" />
                </Archive>
xs / ys are the x/y scale settings for the journal. I have mine at 120 and it's pretty readable. (it's a percentage) can do that for every UI element. customui also lets you move the majority of the frames around so the damn health bars are no longer glued to the bottom of the screen.
ColdSteel

Post by ColdSteel »

Kraegor wrote:Useful mod info..
Hey thanks, I'll keep this in mind and maybe try it if I get desperate. I try to stay away from mods in MMOs as much as I can for 2 reasons. First, they have a performance impact. Second, they tend to break with patches. I only ever used Auctioneer on WoW, for example. But, I may try it at some point so I'm glad I'm aware I have that option now.

I found a stealth quest last night on Solomon Island that gives a QL3 weapon as a reward. I'd been running around with a QL1 blade and QL2 claw so that helped a lot.

Interestingly, the game tracks your level by the average level of your talismans and not the level of your weapons. For spending SP now, I'm not sure if I should be keeping my talismans and weapons all the same level (which I pretty much have been) or whether it is best to push ahead with the weapon QL levels a bit so I can buy higher level weapons using my sequins later on.
Tao wrote:There is an auction house in London in the NW portion of the map.
Thanks Tao, I'll look for that.

What level is Polaris? I'm using a survival build and probably so is everyone else at that level so running it in a PUG would probably be lol type funny. I've read though that the last boss is the one that's really hard so if you need blue equipment, just keep killing the first boss over and over.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

huh go figure, the customui author updated the documentation. The manual update of the prefs.xml is not neccessary. All you have to do is mouseover the number in game and then use the mousewheel to increase/decease the values.

And I never really noticed before but apparently this mod is also unable to affect the journal screen.
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Jaymeson wrote:- we were hurting primarily because no one could tank effectively.
Well that's not just a build limitation. In this game the axiom of gear is king is truly highlighted.

You have to store up equipment that matches the build you want to play. If you look at the tank drops for equipment you can see a DPS gear has maybe +100HP a tank piece has +300-500HP. that's 2-3K HP and then the defensive boosts that that gear bestows, it all adds up to vast difference in effectiveness. Same goes for heals where +healing is the difference between a 100hp heal and a 500hp heal.

Yes skills (AP/SP) are integral, but gear is very vital. (and that's only QL4 examples, the gap naturally widens as QL increases)
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

LFG DPS Polaris or HR :P
Jaymeson

Post by Jaymeson »

Kraegor wrote:
Jaymeson wrote:- we were hurting primarily because no one could tank effectively.
Well that's not just a build limitation. In this game the axiom of gear is king is truly highlighted.
Yep, sorry. Build + gear. Point I was trying to make was that it became apparent that when someone is not effective in the role of tank, the Polaris dungeon can be difficult. DPS's getting all the hate, and dying in 3 shots, for example.
Probably true of this particular scenario that the DPS (myself included) weren't burning Cthulu down fast enough. But, the fact that our group lacked anyone with the ability to hold down hate, & at the same time take the beat-down, was pretty obvious.

As for the right level for Polaris, I hear having QL3 gear is a good start.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm mostly loaded up with q3 gear. I'd be up for trying Polaris one of these days... It would be my first dungeon,so I'd definitely be a n00b...

tapatalk4in'

Tao

Post by Tao »

Im up for Polaris or Hell Raised as well. I can do DPS or Heals. I am free tomorrow night or any evening during the week.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm still really enjoying this. Still mucking about Innsmouth Academy in the Savage Coast - it's just so cool around here.

triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Just throwing it out there that if anyone wants to do the chained Halloween scary stories quests before they go bye-bye on Monday, hit me up!
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I want to enjoy this, but I quickly get lost amidst all the options in the game. Is there any kind of levelling guide that walks you through how to play the game? At least at the lower levels?
He won. Period.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

hepcat wrote:I want to enjoy this, but I quickly get lost amidst all the options in the game. Is there any kind of levelling guide that walks you through how to play the game? At least at the lower levels?
Start working towards these fairly easy, early game builds. Pick one and run with it.

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first ... h-bladear/" target="_blank

http://wordpress.tswguides.com/my-first ... bladefist/" target="_blank
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Sectoid

Post by Sectoid »

I just started playing last night. What server is everyone on?
(V)(;,,;)(V) - Why not Zoidberg?
Model Mayhem # 641920
Tao

Post by Tao »

Obviously being on same server is best but just FYI the game supports cross-server grouping.