Funcom reveals 'The Secret World'

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Jaddison

Re: Funcom reveals 'The Secret World'

Post by Jaddison »

The forum effect is sucking my back to start again. Good job!
I am a lifetime subscriber but have never gotten past first area....which describes much of my gaming life. Is there a better server to meetup or for dungeons is it cross server?
Last edited by Jaddison on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I've been playing SW off and on since release, but I haven't had a chance yet to try out the dungeons, so I'd be up for joining some of you guys. I don't have anyone too powerful, I just have a new blade/chaos character I've been messing with, and my main is an AR/Elementalist who just got to the Blue Mountains recently.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Jaddison wrote:The forum effect is sucking my back to start again. Good job!
I am a lifetime subscriber but have never gotten past first area....which describes much of my gaming life. Is there a better server to meetup or for dungeons is it cross server?
You can easily dungeon cross-server.
"It's my manner, sir. It looks insubordinate, but it isn't, really."
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

How is this for lower level group play? I play Swtor with my wife and a friend, it might be nice to try something new.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Fitzy wrote:How is this for lower level group play? I play Swtor with my wife and a friend, it might be nice to try something new.
It's fine, with a few exceptions.

I kind of enjoyed my first go-round, having group members to bounce puzzle solution ideas off of in the game. However, the game will--in certain quests--force everyone to enter what amounts to a solo instanced area. These areas are fairly fast, I don't think any lasts longer than 15 minutes...but they do force you out of your group for that period of time. Where they really got some people is that it's possible to make builds that are great for group utility, but suck for individual survival. So folks (like, say, poor Jason McMaster at qt3--hi Jason!) end up in one of those instances, and his damage-tornado of a toon struggles to stay alive because he doesn't have the self-heals of a survival build to stay alive long, and he doesn't have a group mate spamming heals on him.

So. It's fine, as long as you're ok with the occasional separation, and are willing to make sure that everyone's able to survive as solo-able characters.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Teggy wrote:
triggercut wrote:Dunno if anyone is interested, but let's try:

If you're available to play Wednesday or Friday or any other day on through that weekend (I'm assuming Thursday is probably out for most folks; it will be for me for a good while) let's try to hook up with our lowbie characters to quest our way through Kingsmouth, maybe do that lowbie dungeon (which has some nice gear) and get well into the Savage Coast. Make a new toon. If it's been a while, you'll notice that there are new quests that have been added to Kingsmouth, and all sorts of other goodies.

Anyone interested?
I'd probably be up for it. I have one character a tiny way into kingsmouth but was having trouble soloing with a rifle, so I have another character that I was going to go melee with that just needs to pick a weapon.

One thing I find a little less than optimal with the game is performance. Even with 2x 660 Tis I find I have to turn the graphics down quite a bit.
Something interesting about the game that I've found is that apparently a prior patch did something screwy to SLI setups especially.

There are two solutions that people have reported success with:

1. Running off one card fixes things up (but man, I hate doing that...)

2. Going into the "Settings" and then the graphics options and the "Advanced" tab and setting effects at 3.8 instead of 4.0. That made a huge jump in performance for my SLI rig.

Servers are down now until 10am for patching to 1.7 for the birthday celebrations. I'm hoping to be on by the late afternoon.

If anyone else is playing, put your toon name up and I'll friend you and we can try to make a chat channel and do some questing if you like.

/chat join qt3 works, too.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

triggercut wrote:
Teggy wrote:
triggercut wrote:Dunno if anyone is interested, but let's try:

If you're available to play Wednesday or Friday or any other day on through that weekend (I'm assuming Thursday is probably out for most folks; it will be for me for a good while) let's try to hook up with our lowbie characters to quest our way through Kingsmouth, maybe do that lowbie dungeon (which has some nice gear) and get well into the Savage Coast. Make a new toon. If it's been a while, you'll notice that there are new quests that have been added to Kingsmouth, and all sorts of other goodies.

Anyone interested?
I'd probably be up for it. I have one character a tiny way into kingsmouth but was having trouble soloing with a rifle, so I have another character that I was going to go melee with that just needs to pick a weapon.

One thing I find a little less than optimal with the game is performance. Even with 2x 660 Tis I find I have to turn the graphics down quite a bit.
Something interesting about the game that I've found is that apparently a prior patch did something screwy to SLI setups especially.

There are two solutions that people have reported success with:

1. Running off one card fixes things up (but man, I hate doing that...)

2. Going into the "Settings" and then the graphics options and the "Advanced" tab and setting effects at 3.8 instead of 4.0. That made a huge jump in performance for my SLI rig.

Servers are down now until 10am for patching to 1.7 for the birthday celebrations. I'm hoping to be on by the late afternoon.

If anyone else is playing, put your toon name up and I'll friend you and we can try to make a chat channel and do some questing if you like.

/chat join qt3 works, too.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

My character name is Wessa (well, the nickname at least - can't recall the full name right now). I got my weapon last night ad parked myself in kingsmouth.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Yeah I'll try to join in. My lowbie is Malcoda and I've only done a couple of missions in Kingsmouth so far.

My availability mostly depends on my fiancee's mood. :D
Jag

Post by Jag »

Nickname is Jag (or Jagerty). Used one of the TSW Guide builds. The best one recommended was a blade/fist which has been really good except that it has no range on it which is tough when fighting ranged guys who run away.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

So I had set my graphics to medium, so advanced graphics were already at "2". I set graphics to DX9 instead of DX11 and that helped, but overall the game just doesn't want to run very smoothly on my rig. Is it processor bound? I have an AMD FX8320, which isn't as good as the better Intel chips, but it's no slouch. I guess I could try turning SLI off, but that's kind of annoying.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Pyperkub on grim. Dragon

tapatalk4in'
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well its refusing to let me log in to play the trial period. Its supposed to be going on right now. I tried my normal account and it would not let me in. So I followed the key 's directions that came with it and created a new account. It wont log in either. So I dont know what to do to get it to work. ive done it all correctly.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote:Well its refusing to let me log in to play the trial period. Its supposed to be going on right now. I tried my normal account and it would not let me in. So I followed the key 's directions that came with it and created a new account. It wont log in either. So I dont know what to do to get it to work. ive done it all correctly.
Maybe Funcom heard you hated the beta.

Ale
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Alefroth wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Well its refusing to let me log in to play the trial period. Its supposed to be going on right now. I tried my normal account and it would not let me in. So I followed the key 's directions that came with it and created a new account. It wont log in either. So I dont know what to do to get it to work. ive done it all correctly.
Maybe Funcom heard you hated the beta.

Ale
This forum needs a "like" button.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Well I like the game alot. Been playing nonstop since I got it. The double AP weekend has been nice for trying out some starter builds. I have about 5-6 different builds and have been running Polaris for a bag full of Q3 blues. The anniversary boss has been good with loot and xp too. Time to move on to the harder zones!
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Jag wrote:Well I like the game alot. Been playing nonstop since I got it. The double AP weekend has been nice for trying out some starter builds. I have about 5-6 different builds and have been running Polaris for a bag full of Q3 blues. The anniversary boss has been good with loot and xp too. Time to move on to the harder zones!
Hit me up for Polaris! I need to work out my healeryness.

Are you on Jagerty when you're on?
Tao

Post by Tao »

Oddly the first character I rolled up a few days ago doesn't seem to be getting the AP boost while the character I rolled yesterday and today are??? The extra AP is really nice, have quite a bit less time on new character and I've already filled two inner circle sections.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Tao wrote:Oddly the first character I rolled up a few days ago doesn't seem to be getting the AP boost while the character I rolled yesterday and today are??? The extra AP is really nice, have quite a bit less time on new character and I've already filled two inner circle sections.
Wednesday was double AP all day because they didn't get the double XP potion into the store until late in the day.

Yesterday was free double XP, but you have to claim the item in the store.

Today was double AP again.

Not sure what's on tap for tomorrow.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

BTW, to get to the Guardian group attacks:

1. When you start the game, type "/chat join anniversity" (Not big on spelling...)

2. Watch for "callouts" of Guardians being up.

3. Right click the name of someone calling out a Guardian, and make them a friend.

4. Open your friends list, and right click your new friend, and choose "Meet up". That will take you to the closest Anima Well in the region on the server where the boss is up. You'll have to sprint and avoid fights in tough zones to get there, but most areas allow you to get to the fights using roads, which are safer.

So far I've been able to get all 5 of the do-able Guardians.
Jag

Post by Jag »

triggercut wrote:
Jag wrote:Well I like the game alot. Been playing nonstop since I got it. The double AP weekend has been nice for trying out some starter builds. I have about 5-6 different builds and have been running Polaris for a bag full of Q3 blues. The anniversary boss has been good with loot and xp too. Time to move on to the harder zones!
Hit me up for Polaris! I need to work out my healeryness.

Are you on Jagerty when you're on?
My name was wrong it's: Jagedy. Couldn't find one that wasn't taken :)

I think double Skills should be Sunday.
naednek

Post by naednek »

triggercut wrote:
Tao wrote:Oddly the first character I rolled up a few days ago doesn't seem to be getting the AP boost while the character I rolled yesterday and today are??? The extra AP is really nice, have quite a bit less time on new character and I've already filled two inner circle sections.
Wednesday was double AP all day because they didn't get the double XP potion into the store until late in the day.

Yesterday was free double XP, but you have to claim the item in the store.

Today was double AP again.

Not sure what's on tap for tomorrow.
http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showth ... ?p=1611361" target="_blank
We're extending the anniversary event for one whole week!

While the special deals will end at the original time (shop discounts, potions, AP boost, SP boost, etc), the Golems will stay active until July 15th at 13:00 GMT / 9am EDT/ 6am PDT! So make sure to hop in-game and enjoy the celebration!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

My name is Triggercutt (who I'm usually on, because seriously, Miss Cutt looks damn cute in her Innsmouth Academy hoodie) or Triggercut.

I'll be on in a few hours for most of the evening, trying to catch those Transylvania guardians. Wouldn't mind running Polaris or Hellfire if anyone's up for it, since my newbie main has a dedicated healer build I'm playing with.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I logged on the other day and this naked yellow giant was walking through the Innsmouth police station so I just followed it, as did others. He walked all through town and eventually stopped in a field where he turned into a giant monster. I took one swing at his foot and then he flattened me. I ran back to the police station from the respawn and on the way I was awarded a mini rock monster pet and a load of XP. Not bad for getting one-shotted. :)
naednek

Post by naednek »

So this game isn't too newbie friendly and it doesn't help that I came in without much knowledge to begin with...

I'm trying to fill out my starter deck just to get a hang of things... I go and select action points, and while I have enough points, it doesnt tell me why i cant select certain things... Like this

I'm trying to buy "Show the Advance (last one on the list. It says I need 7 AP. I have 15. Says it requires an assault rife. I have two... and been using them before I left the training room. What am I doing wrong?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Each skill in a particular set requires the preceding skill, you can't jump skills so you need to unlock Trigger Happy and Eagle Eye first..
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Tao

Post by Tao »

So this game isn't too newbie friendly and it doesn't help that I came in without much knowledge to begin with...

I'm trying to fill out my starter deck just to get a hang of things... I go and select action points, and while I have enough points, it doesnt tell me why i cant select certain things... Like this
Triggercut posted a link a page or two back to an info site that does a fairly good job of explaining some of the mechanics and offering advice on different builds and build strategies. Essentially it breaks down in to a few different categories;

You have your basic Heal/Tank/DPS builds as well as a Survival Build, which is for solo play and usually a mix of DPS and Heal and Support build to support a group either with buffs or purges(cleanses).

Obviously you can see from the wheel you can have 7 Active skills and 7 Passive skills. You can slot one and only one ELITE skill of each type. Elites tend to be the last skill in a block, Slow the Advance in your screenshot is an Elite.

Broadly active skills breakdown into Builders and Spenders. You use builders to accumulate weapon resources (1-5) and spenders to use those resources. There are also buffs you can activate and a few skills which have no resource cost but are on a timer.

Builder skills typically build resources for any weapon you have equipped. So if your using Blade and Assault Rifle using a blade builder will add both blade and rifle resources so you don't have to keep switching back and forth to build. Early on most fights tend to be click builder x5, weapon1 spender, weapon2 spender, builder x5, rinse and repeat while throwing the occasional buff or heal into the mix.

As mentioned in order to move down a weapon block/tree in the wheel you need to buy/unlock the preceding skill. Each weapon has two inner blocks and each inner block takes a total of 19 AP(ability points) to fully unlock. You need to completely unlock both inner blocks (38 AP) to open up the outer blocks for any weapon.

The next category to look at is synergies. The game heavily relies on the players ability to inflict a type of status effect (there are 4) and then exploit that status effect to their advantage. The 4 status effects are Afflicted(dots), Hindered (snares and roots), Impaired (ability shutdown) and Weakened (reduced damage, defense or healing). Each weapon type focuses on 2 of the status effects for instance Pistol is Hinder and Weaken and contains abilities to both set a state and then exploit the state. Each weapon also seems to have a matching weapon to synergize with so Pistol/Shotgun for instance. The exception appears to be Elemental which is sort of the odd man out in that it doesn't have an exact match.

The last category type to look at when building is the TYPE of ability, Striker, Blast, Frenzy, Burst, Chain, Focus etc. Each attack type has different behavior so Striker is single target, blast is cone, burst is multi-hit etc. There are abilities that amplify or enhance certain attack types and you can use an attack type as the core of your build i.e. an all Striker build for instance.

To add to the confusion :D you also receive SKILL points as you progress albeit much slower than AP. Skill points are used to increase skill in a particular weapon AND allow you to wear better Talismans (essentially your armor and equipment in the game). So although you may have spent 100 ability points in Shotgun and have 30 or so shotgun skills if you want to move up from a level 1 shotgun (QL) to a level 2 shotgun you need to spend skill points in shotguns. Find a really nice Major talisman that increases your hit points and defense? You need skill points in MAJOR to wear it. On the positive side spending skill points in a skill has the added benefit of providing passive bonuses on top of unlocking better quality gear. So adding a point to Major Talismans unlocks better talismans and gives a permanent boost to your hit points and so forth.

I agree 100% with your opening statement, this game is not very newbie friendly. The mechanics of the game bring a level of complexity that is a bit staggering. This would NOT be the MMO I would recommend to an MMO newbie. The forum fanbois like to throw around the term "thinking man's game" but that doesn't make it any more accessible. To be fair tho it appears Funcom has spent some time and effort to disseminate more information and provide a smoother start point for the uninitiated.
"Don't touch my stuff when I'm dead...it's booytrapped!" - Bender Bending Rodriguez
naednek

Post by naednek »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm not a MMO newbie :P Just a TSW newbie :) It's a nice change from the normal cookie cutter MMO's of years past, just taking some time to get used to, and forcing me to read up on it before playing much.

Your post was a great help and I already found some threads on the TSW forum. Will catch up on Triggercut's post soon. For now, it's bed time. The kids and the 4th have caught up to me. I'm tired.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Jag and I ran around tonight for a bit and killed Guardians here and there. Was a lot of fun.

Earlier today I did the quests in and around Innsmouth Academy. I'd forgotten how much fun that hub is. The three quest-givers are hilariously understated and droll, the quests are interesting and fun...and the area has maybe my favorite room in any MMO.

I know that sounds weird, having a favorite room. Even weirder: not really much of anything happens in this room. It's easy to miss. It's a passage to other stuff.

But...god I love that room.

It's in Innsmouth Academy, and the only reason you'll ever have to see this room is if you're doing a particular quest. It takes you to this attic/annex thing near the roof of the Academy, and inside, as the shadows slant long through small windows, you see stacks and stacks of moldy books, some desks, and chairs. There are small lamps on the desks. At Ellis Library at Mizzou--an ancient and forbidding structure in the middle of campus--there were cubbies for grad students that looked like the kind of study areas you'd expect them to have...but there was this weird annex area with just ancient-looking desks and tables and lamps that I guess was for the really super-academic PhD students...and the attic annex in the Academy totally has that feel. It's cozy and bookish and looks study-friendly, but also is kind of creepy and weird. It's the perfect atmospheric passage (and you run through it in all of about 5 seconds unless you're a dork like me and stop to look around) that kind of encapsulates why I love this little MMO. (Some sort of good news: Funcom appears to be making some actual money on TSW now and turning a bit of a profit and they're dedicated to keeping things going for the foreseeable future, which is awesome.)
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

Just started today. If the storytelling / quest dynamic remains as consistent and well written as Kingsmouth this could turn out to be a really solid game. So far the character backgrounds are entertaining. Although I just now discovered that if there isn't a check mark after the chat option, there's still more story/talking to hear. Missed out on 75% of the dialogue by only clicking on a chat option once, hah!

Combat/Skills and stuff I'm still unclear on. Going Blade/Pistol. No idea on build. /shrug. I do find it refreshing that this game is playing much more towards story than level grind. I don't even pay attention to AP/SP. I just let it add up and then when it gets to 10 each, I allocate. Otherwise I'm just quest wandering and hunting for exploration markers n stuff.

Last 3 MMOs I played were all boiler plate, kill 20 of this. Story was a pretty bland facade to mask the grind.

Secret World (even tho I am still in the newbie zone, :horse: ) seems to have a lot more character and depth to the story. Doesn't feel cookie cutter at all. ( SO FAR! )

Voshi - Dragon.

sidenote: I did run into the graphic glitch when running crossfire, which did give me an initial sour impression and harkened me back to the Anarchy Online release... but anywho I disabled crossfire and so far things are ok. Still getting solid 50-60 FPS and have had no other bugs. I will be annoyed if my FPS drops in a mob heavy zone and all because I can't use both my vid cards :tjg:
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Kraegor wrote:Just started today. If the storytelling / quest dynamic remains as consistent and well written as Kingsmouth this could turn out to be a really solid game. So far the character backgrounds are entertaining. Although I just now discovered that if there isn't a check mark after the chat option, there's still more story/talking to hear. Missed out on 75% of the dialogue by only clicking on a chat option once, hah!

Combat/Skills and stuff I'm still unclear on. Going Blade/Pistol. No idea on build. /shrug. I do find it refreshing that this game is playing much more towards story than level grind. I don't even pay attention to AP/SP. I just let it add up and then when it gets to 10 each, I allocate. Otherwise I'm just quest wandering and hunting for exploration markers n stuff.

Last 3 MMOs I played were all boiler plate, kill 20 of this. Story was a pretty bland facade to mask the grind.

Secret World (even tho I am still in the newbie zone, :horse: ) seems to have a lot more character and depth to the story. Doesn't feel cookie cutter at all. ( SO FAR! )

Voshi - Dragon.

sidenote: I did run into the graphic glitch when running crossfire, which did give me an initial sour impression and harkened me back to the Anarchy Online release... but anywho I disabled crossfire and so far things are ok. Still getting solid 50-60 FPS and have had no other bugs. I will be annoyed if my FPS drops in a mob heavy zone and all because I can't use both my vid cards :tjg:
I'll friend you tomorrow when I'm in game, and let me know if you need any help with dungeons or anything else.

I think the storytelling/atmosphere remains remarkably consistent throughout the game. A lot of folks felt a bit of a bog down once they got to parts of Egypt (and I guess, haven't been there much myself) Transylvania. What I would say is that most of those folks seemed to struggle with the heavy aggro of multiple mobs. Solution: start working early on to make sure you can handle multiples. I'll try to post some good builds across a variety of different weapons here tomorrow.
Jag

Post by Jag »

I am astonished at the level of detail they put into this game. I ran Innsmouth Academy (Jeffrey Combs, yes!) for the first time and it just oozed atmosphere. My quests sent me to the next zone, but I had one more minor quest that I figured I would get out of the way which took me to the Amusement Park which was another whole line of quests that just blew me away. I can't believe I almost missed that entire area.

I'm really happy these guys are making money. They created something special in the MMO space here. I'm not sure if the game has any endgame legs, but I'm more than happy to play through the storyline.
Tao

Post by Tao »

I am currently running an Assault Rifle/Blade build with about 145 points invested. It does well enough running around doing quests in Kingsmouth but it's a bit disjointed at the moment as a few of the lynch-pin abilities are pretty deep in the outer rings. I am wondering how tough a dungeon is Polaris? More specifically how tight does your build need to be, can you get by on a basic 60 point build? I was planning to keep drilling into the deeper abilities even if it means my current build isn't optimal yet but now I am wondering if investing a few points to spec into either a more heal-centric or straight DPS build is necessary instead.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Tao wrote:I am currently running an Assault Rifle/Blade build with about 145 points invested. It does well enough running around doing quests in Kingsmouth but it's a bit disjointed at the moment as a few of the lynch-pin abilities are pretty deep in the outer rings. I am wondering how tough a dungeon is Polaris? More specifically how tight does your build need to be, can you get by on a basic 60 point build? I was planning to keep drilling into the deeper abilities even if it means my current build isn't optimal yet but now I am wondering if investing a few points to spec into either a more heal-centric or straight DPS build is necessary instead.
Polaris is really easy if you have a halfway competent tank/healer. It's made for 60pt builds, so don't sweat it and definitely dont worry about outer rings for it. I finished it a few times and walked out on the last boss a few times since it requires an idiot check to periodically hide from the boss which is where most groups wipe.

I'm running a very sweet blade/blood build right now, but I really need to find a decent ranged one. I'm at the point where I need to start spending serious APs and worried about making a wrong move.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Jag wrote:I'm at the point where I need to start spending serious APs and worried about making a wrong move.
Yeah, I think that's one thing that keeps me from really loving SW as opposed to just liking it. The environment as a whole is fantastic, but with my main character whenever I decide to finally spend some of the points I've saved up, I end up looking through everything for a while and getting paralyzed with all the possible choices.

On the one hand I think it's great the game has that much customization, even within the same weapon type, but on the other hand I feel like they could do a lot better job presenting all those choices and helping players (especially new ones) figure out a reasonable path.
Jag

Post by Jag »

Sepiche wrote:On the one hand I think it's great the game has that much customization, even within the same weapon type, but on the other hand I feel like they could do a lot better job presenting all those choices and helping players (especially new ones) figure out a reasonable path.
I think that's the point of the decks and they even offer titles and outfits as an incentive to use the decks. The problem is I've read that the decks are more expensive and less useful than ones you can find online at TSWguides, etc.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Jag wrote:I think that's the point of the decks and they even offer titles and outfits as an incentive to use the decks. The problem is I've read that the decks are more expensive and less useful than ones you can find online at TSWguides, etc.
Sure, the decks give you a goal, but that goal is pretty far off. I mean, I have a deck I'm aiming toward, but it's the coming up with a reasonable build on the way there that's the issue for me.

All the decks I tend to see are either early game (for the first 60 points) or more for the end game. I think it would help a lot to introduce intermediate decks that players could build towards once they're out of the early game that would pay off sooner than the late game decks do.
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

There is no limit to the amount of points you can earn in this game, so any poorly spent points are a temporary inconvenience at worst. Spend enough time, and you can learn every ability the game has to offer. In particular, the cheaper abilities in the inner ring are nothing to worry about. You'll earn huge amounts of points in a very short time once you start getting further into the game, making the basic skills very cheap and easy to get.
Insert witty comment here.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Had a really good time soloing this over the weekend in Kingsmouth. Upgraded all Talismans and items to Q1, with a couple of Q2's. Ran into trouble getting mobbed by the Blue Sky Mining Company Zombies (paraphrased) and started upgrading equipment. Haven't gone back to that quest yet. I think I need to look at my ability synergies. I really wanted to RP as Blade/Chaos (seeing my character as an orphan who has grown up in the chaos of shelter homes, who loves the precision of the blade, but also embraces and thrives on Chaos, and is seeking a balance between the two - which is what drew him to the Dragon), but there don't seem to be too many synergies there yet. I also seem to be a bit light on ranged attacks. I only have a couple of SP and AP into Chaos so far, so I don't see much of a problem with changing up.

I'm really digging the atmosphere so far - the dialog is excellent in both acting and content so far, and the quests are keeping my interest.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Aliasbuck

Post by Aliasbuck »

triggercut wrote:Jag and I ran around tonight for a bit and killed Guardians here and there. Was a lot of fun.

Earlier today I did the quests in and around Innsmouth Academy. I'd forgotten how much fun that hub is. The three quest-givers are hilariously understated and droll, the quests are interesting and fun...and the area has maybe my favorite room in any MMO.

I know that sounds weird, having a favorite room. Even weirder: not really much of anything happens in this room. It's easy to miss. It's a passage to other stuff.

But...god I love that room.
I got sucked into this game thanks to the lot of you (I had a life - once). I also thought of OO when I ran across a pizza delivery truck with a quest to follow the trail of pizza boxes, then realized that it was not for pizza, but squid. Holy cow! It's an OO quest!
neofit

Post by neofit »

Hi,

I keep getting their newsletters hoping to receive news of a CU or an NGE, but it never comes. So I have to ask here: did ranged combat change since beta?

I remember logging in during beta, receiving a shotgun in the tutorial and being unable to use it. Then I figured out that I had to lock a target as in the old EQs, in stark contrast with what was happening in Funcom's previous game, AoC. And also being surprised by the shotgun's range of like 7 meters.

Then I played about a dozen hours in Kingsmouth. The game is about our present day, so when seeing familiar surroundings I don't want to use melee or some magic book, but guns. But the AR for instance didn't feel like a gun, more like a cattle prod that took 1 second to charge every time I hit the LMB. This, the range and the encounters, which were all about small groups of melee enemies, made it so I was actually meleeing right after the pull, regardless of the ranged weapon I was using.

So, has anything changed in this respect, has it become more like AoC, Fallen Earth, Defiance, Firefly, etc., or do we still melee with ranged weapons?