Funcom reveals 'The Secret World'

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

PR_GMR

Funcom reveals 'The Secret World'

Post by PR_GMR »

Funcom has announced they're developing a MMORPG called 'The Secret World'. This is in addition to 'Age Of Conan', slated to be released later this year.

'The Secret World' has a fascinating concept--It takes place in our modern, present timeline. In this game, you'll be able to pull aside the mundane veil of our everyday world to reveal a world of dark fantasy and magic, shady conspiracies, and massive monsters. It's concept mixes elements of 'Deus Ex', 'Shadowrun', and the dark fantasy novels of Clive Barker and H.P. Lovecraft.

Funcom says the game started being envisioned 10 years ago, and they've been officially in development since last summer. The game probably won't be ready for at least another year. But, check out this teaser poster:

I've been waiting for someone to make a game like this for a long while. Funcom, with a premise like that, you already have my money!

Check out these links for more info:

Official announcement of the game by Funcom

Gamespot news item with some concept art

Official Funcom Teaser Site--Dark Days Are Coming
Follow me as I make films at: xterminatingangel.com
"Don't waste your time or time will waste you."--Muse, 'Knights Of Cydonia'
Fear the Wiki!
mrFal

Post by mrFal »

A game like this doesn't really seem to fit a mmorpg setting (unless they're pulling a hellgate london on gamers heh)...

"hey guys, want to go farm this mysterious cavern where we need to explore the mystery we've already found out 100 times?" yeah....
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

mrFal wrote:A game like this doesn't really seem to fit a mmorpg setting (unless they're pulling a hellgate london on gamers heh)...

"hey guys, want to go farm this mysterious cavern where we need to explore the mystery we've already found out 100 times?" yeah....
I don't quite understand your comment, mrFal, but I don't think what you're talking about is any different than what you're currently getting in games like WoW or EQ2.

I find the concept behind this game very interesting. Personally, I'm just burned out on sword-n-sorcery MMOs.. Stuff like Vanguard or LOTRo doesn't interest me these days.

I think I'll start following this game's development. Hopefully, Funcom will start posting actual screenshots and the like soon.
Fear the Wiki!
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

The girl in the picture looks like she's about to be eaten by a giant angry vagina.
There is no hug button. Sad!
DocDarm

Post by DocDarm »

YEah....would being eaten by that monster actually feel good??
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Thumbs up for the concept. Thumbs down for it being MMO.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Why does it seem people are always standing on taxis in post-apoc settings? Aren't there ever any Mazdas or Toyotas to stand on?
weeskwee@work

Post by weeskwee@work »

killbot737 wrote:The girl in the picture looks like she's about to be eaten by a giant angry vagina.
if it tastes like one at least it will make the death yummy.
rhinohelix

Post by rhinohelix »

Uh, ok. Ignoring the GVoD comments above, this games looks like it has the potential to be incredible. With such rich thematic sources for the backstory and a setting that is so different from the normal high fantasy stereotypes, I am jazzed to see what this will be.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding and the game mechanics will be where it succeeds or fails. Kudos to Funcom for at least looking to chart a different course off the beaten path.
Stars swelled to dawns, and dawns burst into fountains of gold, carmine, and purple, and still the dreamer fell.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

rhinohelix wrote:Uh, ok. Ignoring the GVoD comments above, this games looks like it has the potential to be incredible. With such rich thematic sources for the backstory and a setting that is so different from the normal high fantasy stereotypes, I am jazzed to see what this will be.

Of course, the proof is in the pudding and the game mechanics will be where it succeeds or fails. Kudos to Funcom for at least looking to chart a different course off the beaten path.
+1

My thoughts exactly.
Fear the Wiki!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

That's a very cool concept. Wish it wasn't an MMORPG. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Clanwolfer

Post by Clanwolfer »

Put me on the 'cautiously optimistic' list. Funcom can tell a story, let's see if they can tell one in an MMORPG setting.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Dude, a Lovecraft MMO? That sounds like a nifty concept to me. I'm in.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
PR_GMR

Re: Funcom reveals 'The Secret World'

Post by PR_GMR »

Bump-a-licious!

Almost two years from its official announcement, Funcom reveals more details about 'The Secret World'. There's now an official message board for the game.

Very glad to hear this one is coming along.. (even though Funcom's 'Age Of Conan' is on life support.)
Fear the Wiki!
razgon

Post by razgon »

While AoC had a catasthropic start, its still a great game, and the art direction and the game mechanics are both rock solid, so I have confidence that with the lessons learned from AOC, Funcom CAN create a great MMO - and yeah, the setting rocks!
Gone...
Grifman

Re:

Post by Grifman »

PR_GMR wrote:
mrFal wrote:A game like this doesn't really seem to fit a mmorpg setting (unless they're pulling a hellgate london on gamers heh)...

I don't quite understand your comment, mrFal, but I don't think what you're talking about is any different than what you're currently getting in games like WoW or EQ2.
Uh, I think that's his exact point :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Damn necromancy!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
PR_GMR

Re: Re:

Post by PR_GMR »

Grifman wrote:
PR_GMR wrote:

It might be a game like WOW, but set in our present world. I think that concept kicks ass.
Fear the Wiki!
Turin Turambar

Re: Re:

Post by Turin Turambar »

PR_GMR wrote:
Grifman wrote:
PR_GMR wrote:

It might be a game like WOW, but set in our present world. I think that concept kicks ass.
They already have said no levels and no classes, so it won't be totally like WoW. :P
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The thing is, MUDs have been doing alternate settings and uncommon gameplay mechanics for years and years and years. It is somewhat surprising to me that modern MMOs, with a few exceptions, have not tried to branch out a bit more. I guess the biggest problem is that MMOs, which are in such a tight competition for subscription dollars, tend to try to cater to the most broad demographic they can, which is usually fantasy or a brand like Star Wars/Conan/LOTR, etc.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I like funcom.
They make good games.... a year after release. Still good games though.

I still play Anarchy Online today and enjoy it alot. This will probably be good as well !
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Thanks to 30 Rock, I keep reading Funcom as Funcooker.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Part of the problem is that MMOs require much, much, more money to make an run than a mud. It's easy to make all these wacky gameplay changes when you don't have to pay for much of anything, and your interface is text.

How was the Age of Conan launch by the way? Was it another Anarchy Online, or did it go somewhat smoothly?

I like the premise of this game, but I actually think it would work better as basically an action RPG.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

How was the Age of Conan launch by the way? Was it another Anarchy Online, or did it go somewhat smoothly?
The launch in terms of stability/performance was pretty smooth. Definitely not an Anarchy Online.

What hurt Conan more than anything was that a lot of the promised gameplay features (siege warfare, structured PvP system, etc.) weren't in place by the time the game launched. The crafting system was also half-baked. End result was a lot of people leveled quickly only to find they had nothing to do once they got to the end game.

To make matters worse, these promised features kept being announced as being available very soon, then got pushed back repeatedly. I know the PvP system was delayed so often month after month that it became an almost Duke Nukem Forever sort of joke.

Age of Conan with another year of polish before launch would have been an awesome game.
PR_GMR

Post by PR_GMR »

Freezer-TPF- wrote:Thanks to 30 Rock, I keep reading Funcom as Funcooker.
:lol: :lol:

No levels and no classes? I'm still fascinated!
Fear the Wiki!
razgon

Post by razgon »

YellowKing wrote:
The launch in terms of stability/performance was pretty smooth. Definitely not an Anarchy Online.

What hurt Conan more than anything was that a lot of the promised gameplay features (siege warfare, structured PvP system, etc.) weren't in place by the time the game launched. The crafting system was also half-baked. End result was a lot of people leveled quickly only to find they had nothing to do once they got to the end game.

To make matters worse, these promised features kept being announced as being available very soon, then got pushed back repeatedly. I know the PvP system was delayed so often month after month that it became an almost Duke Nukem Forever sort of joke.

Age of Conan with another year of polish before launch would have been an awesome game.
agreed - the game as it is now, is beautifull, and pretty good actually, but, seldom are MMO's given a second chance, although a LOT of work has gone into it recently with its new project director.

Anyways,for those interested, there's a nice writeup about the events leading to the opening of the forum, and the hints dropped about the game to be found here: http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=342

The website also has a pretty cool video which can be found here: http://www.darkdaysarecoming.com/

The hype and the way its presented, reminds me alot about Cloverfield, with myserious messages abounding, and no.one really knowing whats going on.

I'm excited!
Gone...
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I don't know why but I have the feeling they're gonna make a shitload of money with that game.

They sure know how to hype something :P
Isgrimnur wrote:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Beta signups are now open. I signed up using my very old Funcom account from when I played Anarchy Online back in 2004 :)

I also chose to join the Illuminati.....

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/61934 ... tion-Opens" target="_blank
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Crabbs

Post by Crabbs »

Thanks for the heads up. I remember hearing about this early on, but had completely forgotten about it.
'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.'
- Bertrand Russell -

Wii # 2042 8377 5645 6582

The Rainbow's Reward

Olivia's Big Adventure
EzeKieL

Post by EzeKieL »

I Joined The Dragon ~
For whoever likes chillout downtempo music (or HipHop) ->
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm not a big MMO fan but this might by interesting. On the other hand I've already tried 4 user names and they are taken. Interest is dropping fast.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I've been very excited about this game. But requires Facebook to register for a shot at the beta? Screw that.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No theres 2 links. I will never use Facebook and miss a lot of stuff I suppose. But I used the other link.
The Bad Shepherd

Post by The Bad Shepherd »

Been looking at this for a while. Took the test, came out Templar. If I do indeed get this, Templar it is! Don't expect to participate in the whole puzzle angle though. All a bit too complicated for me...
"Shepard." -Wrex
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Facebook is used for "Full Access" whatever the hell that means. The alternate is to use no facebook and get basic access.

I took the test and came out Illuminati, but wanted to be Dragon and so chose that wat instead. I'm not a schemer or saint, so chaos suits me better.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Facebook is for the "full experience," not full access. I think it probably just means that they'll incorporate some Facebook extras like maybe some games or puzzles.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I took the test and came out Illuminati, but wanted to be Dragon and so chose that wat instead. I'm not a schemer or saint, so chaos suits me better.
Welcome brother, please pick up your mask as you enter and exit through the secret door on the left.. Tonight's speaker is Mr. Crowley. Refreshes will be served during intermission.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well i just got my beta invite...Im in :) Trouble is im in the beta for Diablo 3 plus i just started the Star Wars TOR early access and Im in another beta i can't say anything about lolz. what a month.
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

Dayum
Can't wait to hear what you think about the game when the NDA is lifted.

It looks... interesting (no class, levels) but no sure if they'll pull it off.
Isgrimnur wrote:
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've been a gamer since the Atarii 2600 was a new thing. I've signed up for (lost count) Beta's and never once been invited. What's the trick?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.