In praise of Warzone 2100 Resurrection

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

riposte

In praise of Warzone 2100 Resurrection

Post by riposte »

I still find this old RTS completely enthralling... something about the balance between attack and defence, and building your own weapons. There's 3D terrain, and I always had more fun with it than TA (although that may be because I always just play against the computer).

Since it was released as a GNU GPL, the folks at http://wz2100.net/news.html have reworked it and it runs with much higher screen resolutions than the old days.

There's a fairly active forum there as well.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Nice, I loved this game - didn't know there was an updated version of it.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Is that a full version, or would I still need to own it to use the updated version?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

This was in my opinion a very underrated game that pretty much overshadowed some of the others that came out at around the same time, like Earth 2040 or something like that. Eidos had a hit on their hands, but unfortunately their lack of promotion for it killed it. One thing I really liked was the constant additions for it. Each week, the developers would release new things for it, like new technology and a tech tree. One of the fan sites became adopted as the official site by the devs and the devs would hang out with us in the forums.

One of my friends who was heavily into it as well was one of the N.E.W.S.T founders.

Kelric, it appears that you don't need the original game for it to work. I haven't seen anything on the website that says you do.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Warzone 2100 and Earth 2040 or whatever it was were both games I got at one point or another and both sat in my backlogs until I eventually traded them without ever really playing. Time to give this one a real shot then I guess.
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

I have both WZ 2100 and Earth 2150 on my drive and play them every once in awhile. Both very good games in my book even to this day.
riposte

Post by riposte »

It's the full game... nothing else required.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

riposte wrote:It's the full game...
Minus the cutscenes.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Tampa_Gamer

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

So refresh my memory, I recall last time I played this that there were a number of modded AIs available selectable via the "Warzone 2100 Starter". Does anyone recall if any of these AIs "cheat"?
riposte

Post by riposte »

From what I've read on the site, the AI is improved from what it used to be, but it still relies on producing faster than you do for its 'intelligence.'

I think I read that the old AI mods and such wouldn't work on this updated version, but I could be corrected on that.
Zitterbacke

Post by Zitterbacke »

Big Plus: runs under Linux now, too. There was a lack of new maps then, that might have changed total since.
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.
Tampa_Gamer

Re: In praise of Warzone 2100 Resurrection

Post by Tampa_Gamer »

Semi-bump to this thread (from a discussion started on the 10 year lookback thread). Just to mention that they are still pumping out community fixes to this one. The most recent version (pull the nightly master to get the latest - GitHub Link about half way down the page under "Latest Development Builds") seems to be pretty stable and contains a lot of fixes/enhancements even to the last version I tried a few years ago. The installs are very light (~1GB each), so I actually have a few different versions I am testing at the moment. The AI has improved quite a bit as well (although sadly not the path finding so larger more open maps are better). I don't think sensors/artillery and counter battery artillery have ever been done quite so well in any game since.
Zitterbacke

Re: In praise of Warzone 2100 Resurrection

Post by Zitterbacke »

Loved that game and played quite a bit with a friend again, after it went open. I don't mind to have another look!
Gaming? Nope, I'm into Bitwig.