Dungeon Lords..

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Ranulf

Dungeon Lords..

Post by Ranulf »

Anyone else seen this? There is supposed to be a public beta soon. It looks pretty good, a 3D diablo/dungeon siege type game it seems.

http://www.dungeonlords.com/
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I'm somewhat interested due to the historical DW Bradley/Wizardry connection, but extremely wary after all the poor reviews of Wizards & Warriors (which I never tried due to said warnings).
Brinstil

Post by Brinstil »

Wizards & Warriors wasn't that bad. It was mediocre, and had some bugs, but I had fun with it for awhile.
Head

Post by Head »

I found that I enjoyed Wizards & Warriors more than Wizardry 8. Go figure! :roll:

I will pick up Dungeon Lords even if it gets fair to good reviews.

~Head
Elaine: Oh, hey, listen, by the way, have you seen a tall... lanky...
doofus, with a, with a bird-face and hair like the Bride of
Frankenstein?
Usher: Haven't seen him.
wankerjr

Post by wankerjr »

I signed up for the beta since the game looked promising but have heard nary a word from them.
Yet another shameless plug..for something
Papa Smurph

Post by Papa Smurph »

I liked Wizards & Warriors quite a bit as well. Probably more than Wiz 8. I was a good game, with lots of character development options. There were some bugs, but I didn't encounter anything too bad.

I will probably buy Dungeon Lords, though I am somewhat concerned that they are decribing it as a "hack and slash" RPG and in the same breath as Diablo. That is definitely not what I was wanting from D.W. Bradley...
Ranulf

Post by Ranulf »

wankerjr wrote:I signed up for the beta since the game looked promising but have heard nary a word from them.
Same here and its due to come out "this fall".
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

I'm somewhat interested due to the historical DW Bradley/Wizardry connection, but extremely wary after all the poor reviews of Wizards & Warriors (which I never tried due to said warnings).
Smart man. The biggest problem with W&W wasn't the bugs (of which there were quite a few). It was the combat model. Like the modern-era M&M games, you could play in TB or Real Time. However monsters outside of a radius centered on your party - a tiny radius at that, basically just out of melee range - were in real time regardless of your choice. This made monsters with powerful ranged attacks frustrating to the point of driving people away from the game. You could be stuck in melee with a group of monsters, fighting at normal pace, but you're getting bombarded from stuff far away too quikcly for you to be able to keep up. The game was originally going to have multiplayert, and my understanding was this was leftover from that. And believe me, it was bad (and I played through 4/5s of the game several different times).

The game did feature some nice DW touches. Some pretty cool dungeons (like the serpent cult temple, though that could have also been frustrating depending on circumstance) - he's always been pretty good at designing dungeons (and I assume he had a hand in some or all of them in W&W, but I could be wrong).

W&W was a flop (my thoughts on the game used to be well documented. Oh well), but it had it's moments, in other words.

I think Bradley has something to prove with Dungeon Lords as a result. I'm not particularly interested in the title myself, and I'd call concern over the game because of W&W justified though not something that should be overriding.
JayG

Post by JayG »

I signed up for what I thought was the single player beta, but was informed that I applied for the multi-player. I wonder if this game will be any good as a multiplayer, as it really looks like a single player game to me.
Gorath

Post by Gorath »

I have to say that I´m a bit worried. There are way too many unclear things for a game which is meant to come out in 3 weeks. Why is DL marketed as a Diablo clone but the German publisher says it´s a serious RPG somewhere between Morrowind and Gothic with action combat?
The canned demo is also a bad sign.
Back in July it looked good but so incomplete that I was doubtful whether it can be finished this year.
qp

Post by qp »

I loved W&W I played it straight through which is a relative rarity for me in games, if this is a spritual successor type of deal i'm in!