Help me with Counter Strike:Source...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Pointer

Help me with Counter Strike:Source...

Post by Pointer »

Hi guys,

I love playing Counter Strike:Source, everything about it is great, the graphics, the guns, the teamwork (when and if you find a good server), even the voice chat is good most of the time. There is just one small problem with the game: I SUCK at it. I am so bad that almost every game I play people comment at how bad I am; "Pointer could you be any worse?" is a typical quote. I try my best, I follow the other players and try and work as a team, I even crouch down and throw the occasional grenade (aka nade) but I end up getting decimated everytime!

I am hoping that you can help me out here. Which are the best weapons? I like playing with a rifle or shotgun but I always seem to end up firing randomly at people whilst they take about 1 second to kill me. I don't want to be the best in the world or anything but I would love to get more than a couple of kills from 2 hours play (seriously this is how bad I am).

Pointer
Thin_J

Post by Thin_J »

I've been playing a lot of Source lately, though not in Public servers. I'm far too wary of the currently available built-into-the-game cheating going on in pubs to bother. I've been playing with a group of people from another site that I play Joint Operations with. I know them fairly well as far as net people go, and trust them. This is by far the best way to play the game, and the best way to learn it's nuances as well. If this is a possibility for you, get some arranged games going with people you trust to play fairly.

As far as actual gameplay pointers, the most important factors for me as far as being a good player are keeping an eye on the radar so you know where your teammates are, and listening to what's going on. Situational awareness is everything in this game. Even if your aim is terrible you can take a player who has near perfect aim if you're paying a lot more attention to where your teammates are and what weapons everyone has.

Sound is by far the best tool for keeping up with who's doing what and where around you. One guy was accusing me of hacking last night because as I was walking slowly through the halls in cs_office. I would always turn around and be ready before he got to me. One other guy in the server sarcastically pointed out "Well, if you didn't run full blast everywhere he wouldn't have known you were coming 5 minutes before you got there.. moron". I just typed a quick smilie, and thanked the guy for the defense. Seriously, if you really pay attention to sounds and where they're coming from it's impossible for someone to sneak up on unless they're walking. Once you get used to doing this, it's totally possible to make up for any issues you may have with aiming. Afterall, if they don't know you're there they can't start leaping around trying to fark up your aim can they?

What are the best weapons?
Well, this depends on how much money you have, what map you're playing, and what style of play you prefer. The best all-around weapons in the game are the Colt, the AK(CV-47), Aug(Bullpup), or the Sig552(?).

I normally stick with the colt and the AK 9 times out of 10. I buy the other ones in certain maps and only if I'm having trouble with players doing certain things, and normally only if I have a lot of extra money to spare.

The colt's silencer is invaluable at medium to long distance. All they hear is the bullets thudding, and have no idea where you're pegging them from. Sometimes that's all the advantage you need. I always pick up a colt if I see one and don't already have one of my own. Best all-around weapon in the game IMO.

If you don't have enough money for any of the rifles, the submachine gun of choice is the MP5. Note that this will not compete well with the higher powered weapons unless you go for headshots. If you're good at hitting people with a steady rate of single shots and not at full auto firing, I would suggest just buying the nighthawk pistol (desert eagle) instead. You only get a 7 round clip, but the .50 cal bullets do huge damage. At times it's a lot more effective than any of the submachine guns.

Ok well, I'm sure not too many people want to read all that. Pointer if you really want more hints I can give them, but I'm going to stop where I'm at for the time being. Note that other people would give you different advice, but these are the things that I find help me play better in general.
Lord Percy

Post by Lord Percy »

I completely agree with the points Thin_J made. Sound is everything in this game. If you have a 3D sound system you have a huge advantage over those that don't.

I just want to add that the regular shotgun kicks major butt in CS:Source. I barely used it back when I was still playing regular CS, but it's a killing machine in this game. If you manage to surprise someone with it, they're pretty much dead. It's still pretty damn effective at medium range, too.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Learn the maps. To be effective you have to know all routes, all hiding spots, and all vulnerabilities where ever you are. Find a good server that repeats one map and play the crap out of it. Stick with one weapon as well. While it may not be the best for a particular situation, the more you use it the better you will get. Every weapon is effective once you learn how to use it. The key is practice. I was quite good for a while (played since Beta 2). But if I took a month off it took me hours just to get back to being passable. There is a definite rhythym and feel to the game that you just have to get into.

Stick with it. You'll learn how everyone rushes, where the choke points are, where to plant/disarm, etc. You'll also figure out whether you like to lead, support, lone wolf, whatever.

Damn, all this talk makes me want to jump in again...
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

My simple suggestion would be to be play a lot (not just CS but other FPSs too) and be patient - you'll get better, but like everything else, it takes time and practice. Ignore people who make fun of you; they're losers anyway.
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
SirReal
Technical Admin

Post by SirReal »

Simple to implement tip for newbies:

1. Don't rush from the start. If you run off at full speed, you'll just die quicker.
2. Don't stand still to much either. If you're constantly on the move, it lessens the risk of being shot in the back.
3. Check every corner. Even if the teammate just ahead went through the door without being fired upon, doesn't mean there isn't someone crouching there.
4. 'Nades, 'nades, 'nades. When attacking, using grenades correctly is essential. Smoke, flash, HE, and then rush. Just be careful not to flash your teammates.
5. Be unpredictable. Being in the one place the enemy didn't expect you to be is the best way to avoid getting killed and killing.
6. Learn the Desert Eagle. Both T and CT can buy it, and it's excellent bang for the buck. Usually, I just but the DE and then pick up a rifle off the ground.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Raven_13 wrote:My simple suggestion would be to be play a lot (not just CS but other FPSs too) and be patient - you'll get better, but like everything else, it takes time and practice. Ignore people who make fun of you; they're losers anyway.
Playing other FPSs has really screwed up whatever edge I used to have in CS. CS has a unique "feel" that MoH and BF1942 don't have. It feels like I'm having to unlearn some of the shooting habits that I had in those other games.

Crouching is my bane. If I crouch (which I do by instinct), it's seems I'm guaranteed to die by head shot.
Black Lives Matter
Raven_13

Post by Raven_13 »

Biyobi wrote:Playing other FPSs has really screwed up whatever edge I used to have in CS. CS has a unique "feel" that MoH and BF1942 don't have. It feels like I'm having to unlearn some of the shooting habits that I had in those other games.

Crouching is my bane. If I crouch (which I do by instinct), it's seems I'm guaranteed to die by head shot.
Hmm, that's really interesting. I guess I never really thought that there was that much of a difference in FPSs, other than weapons of course. I was looking at it as if Pointer was a true FPS noob (sorry if this is incorrect, Pointer), and not just a CS noob. I wonder if increased headshots by crouching is because most people (such as myself) tend to aim at the torso first? If you were crouching, your head would be at about stomach level.
"Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand." - Anonymous
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Raven_13 wrote:
Biyobi wrote:Playing other FPSs has really screwed up whatever edge I used to have in CS. CS has a unique "feel" that MoH and BF1942 don't have. It feels like I'm having to unlearn some of the shooting habits that I had in those other games.

Hmm, that's really interesting. I guess I never really thought that there was that much of a difference in FPSs, other than weapons of course. I was looking at it as if Pointer was a true FPS noob (sorry if this is incorrect, Pointer), and not just a CS noob. I wonder if increased headshots by crouching is because most people (such as myself) tend to aim at the torso first? If you were crouching, your head would be at about stomach level.
I have no doubt that's the reason for all the headshots, but I'm having a hard time keeping my finger off that damn key. I know I always aim for the torso since guns tend to rise when you pull the trigger.

Edited to add: They really need to add back in some of the other older maps. cs_militia, cs_assault, and cs_seige have a lot of good times behind them for me and I want to have them again with the Source engine.
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I second the notion that once you hit a certain comfort level with CS, playing other FPSs mess up your game.

Pointer

Post by Pointer »

Many thanks for all the tips guys. I just finished playing an hour session and at one point was challenging for the lead with 10 kills! I am still dying way too much but just by following other team members and working together I have improved.

I have also learned a couple of maps, I particularly like Dust and Chateau and Office is okay too.

We definitely need to get a GG server up and running!

Pointer
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Here's something I recently posted in CG:
Just follow someone who looks like they know what they're doing. Never get in front of him, and never get directly behind him. Do stay a minimum of 3-5 yards away.

I used to be a master CS player (keyword: used to), and I would encourage new players to do this to learn from me.

Basically, better players tend to be more aggressive, so they'll always know where the fights will break out and when to engage. They'll know all the little tricks, so just being around them will make you learn quickly. You can also give him some much needed backup, as many CS players don't bother with teamwork.

Likewise, make sure you stay out of his path of retreat (hence the min 3-5 yards distance). Experienced players know when to retreat as well, so if you're standing right behind him as he's back up, you've just blocked his path of retreat and you'll both end up dead. It also helps a new player not get killed if his lead is offed in front of him.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

How much of a difference do helmets make? Should I always buy one if I can, or is it only worth it if I've got plenty of money?

If I'm low on money, am I better off buying armor and a submachine gun, or no armor and a rifle?

How bad are the low end assault rifles, they didn't exist the last time I played CS. I forget the names, but the terrorist one is 35 round, and the CT one has a big rectangular sight on the top.

Is there a fix out yet to change all the weapon names to real life names?
Koz

Post by Koz »

One of the biggest factors in CS (and other FPSs) is just knowing the levels. Know where the opponent is most likely to attack from, know the best shooting spots, and know all the camping spots.

You can kill people through crates and other objects, so if you have the ammo, don't be afraid to shoot. There's nothing like someone calling you a haXX0r when you got them due to their own stupidity.

Shoot in small bursts with automatic weapons. Don't just hold the trigger (mouse button) down. Aim for the head. Reload often (but not in the heat of battle which I have a terrible tendency to do). Be able to switch to your pistol fast if you need a second weapon in a hurry.

For buying, IIRC I usually got armor + helmet first, then a submachine gun (M5 usually) or one of the rifles if I could afford it. I played CS using the Colt (CT) or AK-47 (T) 90-95% of the time. They're the best all-around guns in the game.

I should also mention in my prime I was pretty good at CS. I was never the best, and only once did I dominate a game (20 kills, 0 deaths, woot!). But with a bit of practice anyone can shed the "newb" tag and fall in line with the rest of the grunts :)
Eco-Logic

Post by Eco-Logic »

Koz wrote:.

Shoot in small bursts with automatic weapons. Don't just hold the trigger (mouse button) down. Aim for the head. Reload often (but not in the heat of battle which I have a terrible tendency to do). Be able to switch to your pistol fast if you need a second weapon in a hurry.
This is the most important advice in my opinion. When I started playing CS years ago I was on dialup. I quickly released CS is one of the most unforgiving games if you have a high ping. Then I got cable and someone told me to always shoot in small bursts with automatic weapons. The game changed for me dramatically.

Good luck, and I agree we should see if anyone can host a CG server. I know I can't with Comcast Cable, but maybe someone can. Zaxxon maybe?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

wonderpug wrote:How much of a difference do helmets make? Should I always buy one if I can, or is it only worth it if I've got plenty of money?

If I'm low on money, am I better off buying armor and a submachine gun, or no armor and a rifle?

Is there a fix out yet to change all the weapon names to real life names?
Always buy armor first (except the first round, sometimes a pistol upgrade, sometimes the body armor). You can pick up better weapons, you can't pick up armor. Just learn to be proficient with the cheaper weapons. They all work.

Helmets make a big difference. Everyone goes for headshots.

I thought the weapon names were real-life. Maybe that's changed in the 5 months or so since I played?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Ugh. Help me delete it! I totally suck. Run around for about 10 seconds, fire off a few rounds, head blows up. Rinse and repeat.

Seriously though, how do you delete a Steam game? I really don't need this taking up hd space.

Ale
dangerballs

Post by dangerballs »

LawBeefaroni wrote:
I thought the weapon names were real-life. Maybe that's changed in the 5 months or so since I played?
Nope. They changed the names because of licensing issues.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Alefroth wrote:Ugh. Help me delete it! I totally suck. Run around for about 10 seconds, fire off a few rounds, head blows up. Rinse and repeat.

Seriously though, how do you delete a Steam game? I really don't need this taking up hd space.

Ale
Go to your \Steam\SteamApps and delete the .gcf files that pertain to the relevant game. It will be obvious.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Demosthenes wrote:
Alefroth wrote:Ugh. Help me delete it! I totally suck. Run around for about 10 seconds, fire off a few rounds, head blows up. Rinse and repeat.

Ale
Go to your \Steam\SteamApps and delete the .gcf files that pertain to the relevant game. It will be obvious.
Even if it says Counter Strike shared content?

Ale
Crowley

Post by Crowley »

If I, hypothetically, bought HL2 at EBgames, how would I be able to play CS online?
Thin_J

Post by Thin_J »

It still makes you use Steam for the multiplayer portion of the game, you just don't end up downloading anything from it but the game's patches.

Also, you would have to wait until you actually had your copy of HL2 so you could register your CD key with Steam.
Chesspieceface

Post by Chesspieceface »

Alefroth wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:

Ale
Even if it says Counter Strike shared content?

Ale
Yes sir. If it says "Counter Strike Source Shared Content" and is roughly 941MB then it is your big CSS space-hog. You can safely eliminate that file. The nice thing about Steam is it will 'regenerate' anything you accidentaly delete that it needs for the games you DO want to play. You're all clear.

I believe that in this case 'shared' means shared by all Windows Logins, and Steam Users. NOT 'shared with other games'.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Thanks for the help, Demosthenes. That's just what I was wondering. They really oughta include some sort of uninstall, I think.

Ale
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

They include the option to free the space(uninstall) downloaded games. Just right click on the name of the game you want to uninstall then select properties. There you'll see how much space the game take and there is one button that say delete local cache, click that one to free the space taken by that game. So don't go deleting qcf files manually.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

No doubt they'll include that feature in the future, but they also have an incentive not to, and to pull some seemingly harmless shenanigans too.

By keeping these files on people's computers, they can use their bandwidth to distribute files, even if they're not playing it.

Early on they forced a preload of CS:S material to people, even when they weren't interested and people only knew about this when the community got word and started disabling the download.
Thin_J

Post by Thin_J »

Turtle, the feature is already there. I deleted the original DoD, Condition Zero Deleted Scenes, and Codename Gordon that way not two days ago.

Victoria wasn't talking about something that was going to be available, but something that's already there and quite useable. They disappeared off the games list, and all related files disappeared off my HD.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Some weird stuff happening with Steam. I deleted the Counter Strike .gcf according to Demosthenes suggestion, last night. After reading the other method, I took a look at the properties, and tried to delete Counter Strike from there. It said I couldn't delete it because it was needed by Half Life 2. I checked in the folder, and it was back. Steam wasn't running during the night. Will it update games even without the Steam client open?

Ale