Far Cry stuttering problem

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

NetGuy

Far Cry stuttering problem

Post by NetGuy »

I'm having a problem running Far Cry. Every 4 or 5 seconds the game momentarily pauses or stutters. In between the stutters everything runs smooth.

I'm running this on a Radeon 9800 pro with an Athlon XP 3000+. I just upgraded from an Athlon XP 2000+ and it used to run great on that cpu. (my motherboard died, so I took the opportunity to do a slight upgrade)

Doom 3 runs great, as does everything else I throw at this machine.

I've tried reinstalling the game as well as installing the latest ati drivers. Anyone have any other ideas?
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

and you have how much RAM?

and did you install the patch for farcry?
NetGuy

Post by NetGuy »

1.2gb

yes
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Are you still using the same RAM? You may want to try running a memtest to see if whatever killed your motherboard damaged your RAM.

Are you running any new programs/services now?
Black Lives Matter
Kraegor

Post by Kraegor »

big annoyance with performance is... it could be anything...heh.

the stuttering sounds like an issue with pre-rendering / loading of images or it could be that your system is crunching momentairly as it calculates AI scripts...but you have enough RAM so that really shouldnt be the problem.

also you might check game settings and make sure you are using hardware accelerated sound. sofware accelerated sound causes stuttering.

to rule out video card problem you could lower the video settings...if the game still stutters with lower settings then it's not a vid card issue. (maybe)

edit: i agree with the damaged RAM suggestion. motherboard getting blown could easily impact RAM
NetGuy

Post by NetGuy »

Same RAM, but every other game runs great, so I doubt it's a hardware issue...

Only other thing that's changed on my system is that I switched from wired to wireless networking...