Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Max

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Ma

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just met up with Jakob's rep in town, Ned's going down! :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ned's done. Wasn't that hard. However, the Underdome is kicking my arse. I think the longest I've lasted is round 2 wave 2. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I didn't like the underdome, no experience is received, and although you can get guns, there are easier places to get them, and the overall rewards, in my opinion, just weren't' worth it for the slog you had to go through to get them.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I don't either. I think Underdome is meant as a team proving grounds. As a solo guy, you need a LOT of equipment... and a LOT of help to survive all 5 rounds (of 5 waves each). I think I'll have to find myself proximity mine grenade mods. I think THOSE are the key surviving horde attacks.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Underdome was a bit of a waste solo, and barely survivable. I actually cheated a bit just to get it 'finished' and get my skill point and the quest off of the books. I figured I'd paid for the damned thing, and wasn't going to lose out because it sucked:
Spoiler:
I launched Borderlands, and chose my character. I went into the co-op lobby. I then alt-tabbed out and launched Borderlands again (running two times at once, only one actual copy is necessary), then took a very low level alt and joined my main character. I was playing co-op with myself. When I started Moxxie's, it averaged our levels and set the enemies to that. So me (say, level 40) and the level 2 alt were fighting level 21 enemies. I just let the alt die and cleaned up.
Note that this technique is also an easy way to make a 'mule' to carry extra gear if you don't have room in your bank, or to toss a few 100k weapons to a new character to get him started. I did have to set my graphics to low in order two actually fight with two copies running.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

So theoretically, if I have two or three PC's locally... wait, I can't start Steam on multiple machines. Never mind. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, weapon analysis

I'm using fire weapons almost exclusively on the Zombie island.

I have a 30000+ 3xfire SMG that's great for close range. I have a 40000 normal SMG though. :)

I have a 30000+ regular shotgun (no elemental damage for this). I also have a 28000 self-regen ammo shotgun, that I may sell. I have support gunner class mod so I don't need the regen. My shotgun skill is 13 or 14 I think.

I have a Volcano sniper rifle that's worth over 40000, great for long range engagements. Haven't found one that comes close.

My combat rifle I have a bit of a dilemma. I have two... a level 19 rifle (I'm level 40 now) that's 2x fire and scope with extra mag and firing rate. With class mods, mag size is 180, but it takes like 10-15 shots to put down one enemy, but with scope I can do it from long range. I have a level 33 rifle that's 3x fire, slightly lower damage but twice the firing rate, no scope. I can't seem to achieve any long range hits with no scope, so I guess that's a no go despite it being a better rifle. Darn it.

Rocket launcher... I got the roaster from a while back, and I found a 3x corrosive that's about 18000. Trying to decide which one to keep.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've noticed you mention price multiple times now. Price is not a good indicator of whether a weapon has value or not, and eventually, weapons will be worth something like $99,999,999, so money is no longer an issue either.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's a "quick" indicator as to the weapon's "worth".

I *do* compare stats, ya know. If I'm level 30 or 40, then I don't bother with weapons that's worth less than 10000. :)

Like I said, I have two combat rifles, the 15K one right now is better fit for me than that 22K one without the scope.

Also discovered an oddity... the class mods don't necessarily get better at higher levels and cost more. Once I got a support gunner 260 that's level 33, that's WORSE than my support gunner 240 that's level 19. You know which one I'm keeping!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Many of the stats are randomly determined. The level is the range. A level 20 item that got really good random stats can be much better than a 25 that got low stats.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kasey Chang wrote:It's a "quick" indicator as to the weapon's "worth".
Not really.

Well, maybe in the first play through, I don't recall. When we finished our multiple playthroughs some of us where still using level 43 weapons.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My level 69 Siren is running a level 43 class mod and a level 41 SMG. I found all sorts of higher level weapons, but none that fit my playstyle and skill set quite as well as those.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I think I finished Playthrough 1 with a Level 22 weapon on Roland (level 32-ish).
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finally found a decent Eridean weapon! The Rifle, that is. Also found a flare gun, but that's a bit on the "meh" side.

I'm checking my weapon mix as I want to have the 4 weapons with 1 of each element, fire, shock, acid, and explosive. Though right now I'm running with way too many Acid weapons.

Right now, I have a 3x shock SMG for close-quarters, a 2x acid combat rifle with zoom scope for medium range. I may swap that for a decent explosive or fire combat rifle... when I find one. All the "good" fire combat rifles I found are without a scope! (except that lvl 19 one I found a while back) I'm testing a level 31 that has no zoom, just a red-dot sight.

I have a 3x acid rocket, but I think I just found another one that's marginally better.

Finally, I have a *very good* acid shotgun (game says it's worth over 60000, with massive damage and fast reload).

I think I'll bring back my Volcano Sniper Rifle (4xfire), keep the 4x acid shotgun, use the 3x shock SMG, and try to find a decent combat rifle that's fire or explosive.

My combat style is use a lot of cover, swap weapons as needed. Rockets don't seem to do enough damage for me for their slow firing rates. Pistols and revolvers are novelty items for a soldier. And so are the Eridean weapons.

I seem to be pretty lucky on the shields. Found a 900/120 shield that's also healing. Also found one that boosts health by 30%, will try that next time out.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished General Knoxx's armory, except that kill ultimate monster thingie. There's a couple minor missions to go, no big deal. Didn't get that many ultimate weapons though. Got two VERY good SMGs (value in the 120K range) and a couple very good combat rifles (good firing rate, scope, AND fire damage). I guess I should be happy. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying "circle of steel", basically the survival arena with the crimson lance. Was having problem with corporal level until I figured out there's a place to hide from the lancer, as that shock cannon gets me every time, even if I have a shield of near 1000. Harvesting a TON of gear, though nothing too good, meh. Basically equip two weapons: acid, and fire. Use acid on pyro, fire on everybody else. :D Then rocket for the lancer. I use a SMG with zoom as emergency weapon.

Also did the midget mission. I didn't think to check for the dumpster diver though.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finished DLC 4. Oh, man, that final fight is a doozy. I think I died like 5 or 6 times. :D Usually a kamikaze got through. Though first time I got ran over. :D

There's a couple more missions.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Trying the side missions in DLC 1, 3, and 4, though I don't really want to run through the armory two more times. I think I'll save it when I'm higher level.

Right now I'm actually getting bored, as I'm trying to go through bandit camps with just a pistol (albeit a 90000 credit pistol, with very good damage and 4x zoom so it's almost like a sniper rifle, just not as much critical hits). I finish the "tire quest" in DLC4 with pistol alone. Only had to deploy the turret once when I got in over my head and got surrounded by threats on two sides.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Right now I'm actually getting bored, as I'm trying to go through bandit camps with just a pistol
Sounds like someone needs to roll an alt. Maybe a siren or a hunter.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

You may be right.

I finished the Crimson Lance trials with a bit of patience. I'm level 46 now. Want to see what Crawmerax was like... Even those tiny claws killed me with ONE stroke (tossed me off the mountain). I fired shots directly into their face and had NO effect at all. Clearly I'm WAY outclassed. :D

I've finished all the primary missions and most of the side missions in playthrough 1. I guess it's time to ramp it up... or start an alt.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As you did all the DLC, you'll find that you're way, way over-leveled for doing a second playthrough on the same character. You pretty much have to do campaign 1/campaign 2/all DLC to keep it balanced.

There is no question, though, that the campaign doesn't really come to life until the second playthrough.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Actually survived 5 rounds in the underdome. :) First arena. Had to cheat a little... I littered the place with proximity mines before I started. :D The only time I came close to dying was I backed myself into a corner in the horde wave when a bunch of maniacs came after me. Though second wind means I survived long enough to back out of the corner, but had to get second wind like 2 more times before I actually got out.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing 2nd's playthrough now. Just killed Krom and decided to get the "You're on a boat" achievement while I'm at it. I'm skipping all the side missions, but just ran into a mission *at* my level. :) Jaynistown is lvl 46, which is my level now. I may have to do some of those side missions after all.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Argh, Taylor killed me like twice, but got that done. Lvl 49 now, heading to 50 soon. I'm at Trash Coast reach to see the Rakk Hive. I think I may have to go do some side quests first. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Rakk Hive was easy, the Crimson Lance in Old Haven, not quite so. Got killed like 5 times in there, but made it through to hit the Old Salt Flats. (Playthrough 2). And hit level 51. Have a feeling I should do some more of those side missions. :D
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went off to kill King Wee Wee. Got him, then computer crashed... hard.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Kasey Chang wrote:Went off to kill King Wee Wee. Got him, then computer crashed... hard.
Wee Wee's Revenge?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I've been playing through the DLC's with the wife and have to admit that if you've beaten Playthrough 1, they're almost painfully easy. I couldn't help but find a lot of it painfully repetitive. In the base game, you pretty much hit every zone twice. That's not too bad.

The Arena? Mission 1: Do 25 back-to-back rounds in X, then 25 in Y, and then 25 in Z ... Ugh.

The Revolution? You go to Z to get a mission, then Y to run it, then back to Z, then to X, then Z, then Y, then X, then Z, then Y... All in all, it felt like we went in and out of the same three zones about 5 times each before we were done.

The Zombies were fun, in general... almost too short, but not overly artificially inflated by having us run back and forth constantly.

Haven't done Knoxx yet - we got kind of tired of the repetition and started doing Playthrough 2 instead.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:Went off to kill King Wee Wee. Got him, then computer crashed... hard.
Note that Wee Wee's shield is considered by many to be one of the best in the game. Not all of its properties are listed on the card.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote:
Note that Wee Wee's shield is considered by many to be one of the best in the game. Not all of its properties are listed on the card.
You're kidding? Can you give me a link to what it can really do? I've played through 5x and only found it better than what I had once - and that was only for a short time.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

http://borderlands.wikia.com/wiki/Wee_W ... er_Booster

Specifically:

King Wee Wee's Super Booster has 2 unlisted side effects
Increases health by 15%
Regenerates health rapidly, at a rate equivalent to the Tediore Panacea ("Very quick Health Regeneration!").

Hmmm... I don't think I knew that. Damn. I didn't use it either.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

People who farm the end game for the high end loot often save the Wee Wee quest until they're max level to ensure they get the highest version.

Note also that it doesn't always drop. It usually drops - it isn't rare, but occasionally it doesn't. Some folks will alt-tab and exit the game through the Windows Task Manager to ensure it doesn't save, then try again.
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

I had to drop in here and tip my hat to GG - 500+ hours, the man knows how to get value out of his games :)

Just finished Zombie Island. Loved the humor, really clever.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just checked, lost all progress in that level, so I just headed back out. I got the last piece, and got Tannis, and I'm now going after the vault after reestablishing ECHO comm.

Right now I'm almost using rockets EXCLUSIVELY. The 4x acid rocket launcher (with 3 shot burst mode) can kill a Crimson marine in ONE salvo (takes a few seconds).
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Woot! Killed the end boss. Took about 5 deaths (usually due to those darn flying exploding spikes, until I realized I need to vacate each cover after using it once. I also realized my SHOTGUN actually does far more damage than with my combat rifle or sniper rifle.

My sniper rifle, with explosive shock, or fire, only do about 300 damage, 3000 if I hit a really critical spot.

My combat rifle, which is worth 180K and has fire and a HUGE magazine and VERY rapid fire, takes time to empty the mag and only do about 150 per shot (about 72 round magazine).

Then I tried my shotgun... 4000+ damage PER trigger pull (and I have a 20 round magazine), if I shoot that tentacle wrapped around the nearby post.

Rockets do negligible damage, nor does corrosive weapons.
stessier

Post by stessier »

About the spikes
Spoiler:
Did you know that you can shoot the arms off thus avoiding the spikes for some time?
Teggy

Post by Teggy »

stessier wrote:About the spikes
Spoiler:
Did you know that you can shoot the arms off thus avoiding the spikes for some time?
Also
Spoiler:
The blue mouth is a weak spot, although I doubt you would have reached it with a shotgun.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote:People who farm the end game for the high end loot often save the Wee Wee quest until they're max level to ensure they get the highest version.
+1.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Dang, Playthrough 2.5 is MUCH MUCH harder!

I'm level 52, so I thought I'd pretty much wipe the floor of anybody except bosses. WRONG! Went to do "Jack's Other Eye" mission... killed the misc. bad guys in the camp, no problem. Then jack, with that special gun of his, did 2000 points in ONE HIT! I have a 1000 shield and 1000 health, and this guy took me down to less than 50 health with a SINGLE hit! WTF?! Tried various approaches... Can't get close enough, too far away for turret, rockets don't do **** as he's immune to Damage over time, grenades don't reach far enough.

Tried various spots around the camp. Always got killed, as either one of those super shots got through, or I got hit by other spawns while I tried to land hits on the boss.

FINALLY found a spot in the camp (on the OTHER side) where I can snipe the boss while protected from his shots.

Hoping it's a glitch, as I don't really have THAT much problem with the minions, I went to do another mission that should be a cake walk: harvest shock crystals in "Lost Cave".

Even with a super-duper shotgun (600K worth, corrosive, 8 shots doing 120 damage each) I had problem with the skags and larva worms in the cave. Died like 5 times before I made it to 30 crystals harvested. Then I got blocked by the enemy camp. Can't get close enough. Then the worms and skags spawned behind me.

Then my computer crashed due to overheat. :D Played too much.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Has anyone else had huge performance issues in Knox with a current-gen AMD card? I've heard the game in general isn't AMD-friendly. But I'm getting <5 FPS in some of the zones sometimes. Eventually I tried lowering the resolution one level below native, and it alleviated the problem. But loading it up again now, the problem's back. I've verified the cache and defragged in Steam. My drivers are up to date.

Is there any way around all the driving in Knox? A mod or anything? Every time I restart I have to repeat 25 minutes of fights and driving to get back to my mission area. I really wanted to do the Knox and Claptrap DLC before the sequel comes out, but I don't see it happening at this point.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg