Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Max

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Max

Post by Daehawk »

Game Informer Magazine subscribers are about to get their hands on the September issue, and we have the first look at the cover right here. This month, we give you the details on Borderlands, a sci-fi RPG/shooter that will feature four player online co-op. Gearbox Software, the company behind the huge project, is well known for their Brothers in Arms series of games.
It appears a road warrior influence is in the air; just days after id Software announced Rage, Brothers in Arms developer Gearbox Software has revealed Borderlands, which a Game Informer cover story describes as "Diablo meets Mad Max."

Borderlands, in development for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360, is a science fiction RPG/FPS hybrid, with support for up to four cooperative players online. Vehicles are likely to be significantly involved. Few further details are currently available, with Game Informer promoting a Borderlands cover story in its September issue and an official announcement likely coming soon.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
baron calamity

Post by baron calamity »

Hopefully there is a single player mode for those of us who don't play well with others.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk, give this a more descriptive title, like PA FPS/RPG.s "4 Person Co-Op is a feature, not what the game is about. I would have missed this if I didn't see it elsewhere and looked to see if someone had posted about it here. It looks to be an intriguing Diablo/Mad Max mix of some type.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

There was a blurb mentioning that this game had randomly generated missions to go on, thus keeping things fresh, especially when doing co-op. So not too different from Hellgate London.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Daehawk wrote:Couple screenshots.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/33895 ... creenshots

Ok Grif
Thanks, buddy! :)
Creepy_Smell

Post by Creepy_Smell »

If I had known that PostApoc would become the new WW2 when me & my hardware decide to not upgrade until I clear my backlog, I would have done it long ago. At least it gives me some games to look forward to. Hopefully they score good like Bioshock is currently doing.
djolar

Post by djolar »

Looks like its more interstate 76 in a post apocalyptic environment.

Though I wonder if it will be freeform or more like Jedi Academy where a few missions were vehicle specific. Its a win/win if its either. I loved Jedi Academy. That game needs a sequel!

Hmm, I wonder what Diablo 2 with mounts would have been like... =)
Grifman

Re: Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Max

Post by Grifman »

Game is described as "roleplaying shooter":

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53727" target="_blank
Imagine Diablo in first person, with guns rather than swords, hilarious levels of violence, and a large open world to explore. That's what Borderlands (PC, 360, PS3) is shaping up to be, based on the extended demo I was just shown.

Developer Gearbox is calling this an RPS, or roleplaying shooter, and the term certainly fits. All of the typical Diablo caveats are on display: the level bar, the skill trees, the story moments and drop-in, drop-out online play for up to four players.

Some extra details not immediatley evident in the excellent walkthrough video:

* Each gun is procedurally generated, with statistics such as firepower, reload speed and magazine size also randomized.
* Weapon attributes are reflected in their appearance. A gun that glows green possesses face-melting poison.
* Chest drops are totally randomized, just like in Diablo. The producers were constantly looking for better drops.
* Skills are upgraded via software skill stations.
* Skill category examples are Gear and Physique. Some examples of talents were increasing the number of grenades you can carry, or increasing your reload speed.
* Proficiencies exist, such as "Assault Rifle proficiency," that are automatically upgraded in level.
* Vehicle driving looked exaggerated for fun; the dune buggy shown was making huge jumps in the fashion of Halo or Battlefield.
* All vehicles are designed with co-op in mind. Players can always trade places on the fly.
* Dynamic music system.
* Dismemberment is off the charts--limbs and torsos soar through the air, and explosions send enemies flying.
* There are no longer half a million guns in the game; there are, in fact, 653,000 guns.
Gameplay videos here:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53723" target="_blank

This game just shot towards the top of my list!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

It was on my list since they mentioned co-op.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Gameplay videos here:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53723" target="_blank

This game just shot towards the top of my list!
WOoooooooooooooow Drool
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Two new previews here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=206951" target="_blank
In light of every developer ever's recent decision to set their game in the aftermath of a fictional apocalypse, it's easy to assume Borderlands is much the same. It's got barren, desolate plains, the locals are dressed up in rags and desert goggles, and all the jibber-jabber's about settlements and bandits.

...however, that's not the case. This is actually a distant planet called Pandora, where failed colonisation has left disparate groups of maladjusted individuals to fight over the scraps on barren, desolate plains in rags and desert goggles while talking about settlements and bandits. Completely different, see?

If you can get past the theme though, you may be richly rewarded, because Borderlands is an interesting-looking cross between first-person shooter and role-player. You take on one of three roles (two of which we see during our demo), each with unique skills, abilities and backgrounds, and developer Gearbox Software is pushing the RPG angle heavily.

For starters there's an experience-points bar at the bottom of the screen, and as you level up you get to make decisions about how to develop your abilities (using a software interface to hack into your existing hardware augmentations), and improve your proficiency with specific weapons based on their use. Shotgun-lovers may learn to absorb recoil and get better results at range, for instance.

Your character is also persistent across different game sessions, which brings us to the co-operative angle. Gearbox demos the game in co-op and says it's meant to be played that way, and in order to promote and encourage that you will be able to take your character - whatever his current level, equipment and abilities - into another player's game, however much progress he or she has made. Any progress you make there and any items you collect can then be transported back to your single-player game, or indeed taken to another friend's co-op game.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/08 ... rderlands/" target="_blank
From what we’ve seen so far, however, the story is one of the least interesting aspects of the game. What’s rather more enticing is the fact that Borderlands seems to be a remarkably open ended shooter with vehicles, bandit-dudes, wide-open environments, dungeons, and gigantic, roaming monsters. It’s ripe for that kind of wandering and poking about in virtuality that we love so dearly. So are we actually looking at it being a large, explorable game like Stalker or Oblivion? What kind of story should we expect? Something wide open and sandbox, or fairly linear? “The game can be played both ways”, says Hurley. “There is a main mission storyline that advances the story and the game, and there are large, open environments in Borderlands that are ripe for exploration.” Ah, sweet exploration, how we savour it in our games. It is too rare a commodity in these modern times.

Hurley continued: “You will come across all sorts of enemies, loot, and gameplay experiences along the way. We also have several vehicles to help you get around (in addition to doing crazy vehicle combat with) so you won’t be slogging along on foot all the time. Because of both the dynamic nature of the game, the size of the world, the randomization of certain aspects of gameplay, and game adjusting itself based on the number and experience level of the players, it’s a different gameplay experience every time you go through it. If you just want to go exploring, there is always new stuff to find and new enemies to fight.”

And nor should that exploration be solitary: there’s a chance to play through with a chum or three. How do Gearbox expect the co-op to work? Will PC players be hosting a game for others to join?

“We designed Borderlands as a 4-player co-op game from the ground up,” says Hurley. “Anyone who has the game can begin a game instance, and invite others to join that game instance (that they are hosting) at any time. Any player joining can either start a new character, or bring their character from a different game instance with them to their friend’s game, along with any experience, gear, loot, etc. that they already have. They can trade or sell their current gear, find or buy more, level up, etc., and then take their persistent character back to their own game.”
I find that last part interesting. Has anyone done anything like that before?

I just hope these guys do it better than Hellgate London did it :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds good on paper. And in the old days this type game could be made...but these days when they talk big I worry about what they will cut to get it released. I started in big with PC gaming in 1994. Back then I thought co-op games like DOOM1/2, Duke 3D and the rest were standard fare. Then co-op went away and devs claimed they just couldn't do them anymore. I remember the Serious Sam games having co-op and if script elements came into play then it did'nt affect anyone else and if your partner left an area that had a script that closed a gate then a portal would be there for you to use. Scripted games dont mean they cant have co-op in them. Devs are lazy or untalented these days.

I hope this turns out well and keeps the co-op intact.(Im looking at you Stalker).
mipe

Post by mipe »

Grifman wrote:
* There are no longer half a million guns in the game; there are, in fact, 653,000 guns.
That made the smile of today :)
Roleplaying in Massive Multiplayer Online Role-playing game?
BLASHPHEMY!!

Do you like OO? Do you like Civilization? Do you like Fall From Heaven 2? If you answer yes at all, come to viewtopic.php?f=4&t=62242
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

That number could be added to exponentially, all they have to do is add a few more parts with different functions and ranges in which they appear and you have new guns.

I love their demonstration videos when they use dev buttons to just spam out random gun designs and pick their way through all of them. All the guns look like they work.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Overkill.
Noone should ever need more than 100,000 guns.
Think of all the hard drive space taken up by 653,000 guns. Prolly like 5 gigs. I mean really. Geez.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
DArtagnan

Post by DArtagnan »

Giles Habibula wrote:Overkill.
Think of all the hard drive space taken up by 653,000 guns. Prolly like 5 gigs. I mean really. Geez.
They almost certainly use a limited pool of resources (like textures and meshes) to display the generated weapons. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to use and store unique data for more than half a million weapons.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

DArtagnan wrote:
They almost certainly use a limited pool of resources (like textures and meshes) to display the generated weapons. I don't think anyone is stupid enough to use and store unique data for more than half a million weapons.
I think someone needs their humor/sarcasm detector turned on :)
DArtagnan

Post by DArtagnan »

Grifman wrote:
DArtagnan wrote:
I think someone needs their humor/sarcasm detector turned on :)
DOH! :oops:
qp

Post by qp »

WTH?
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

qp wrote:WTH?
A bit slow, are we?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Coming out 10/23. Hopefully they aren't lost in the Holiday release madness. Here's a gameplay trailer, courtesy of Gamespot.

I've been casually following the game's development for the last few years. Seems like it's going to be pretty damn cool.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Vorret

Post by Vorret »

looks like it has some potential.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
DArtagnan

Post by DArtagnan »

Am I wrong, or is this an attempt at doing what Hellgate did - and in the eyes of many, failed to fully achieve?
Stridergg

Post by Stridergg »

DArtagnan wrote:Am I wrong, or is this an attempt at doing what Hellgate did - and in the eyes of many, failed to fully achieve?
I have the same reservations about this game.
qp

Post by qp »

I did get my money's worth out of Hellgate...I guess the main issue is that it was basically Diablo-Doom. If we could get more like Diablo-Half Life or Diablo-Far Cry I think it could be more successful. Hellgate also had the half-assed subscription model that basically sunk them in the end.
Game developer in Port Hope, Ontario
Five Archers Corporation
@FiveArchers on Twitter!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I have to believe they were watching Hellgate crash and burn during the development cycle of this game. ;)

I don't get the impression that Borderlands is trying to be a quasi-MMO. Random gear and random monsters, sure. 4 player co-op is a far cry from Hellgate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Cant wait
DArtagnan

Post by DArtagnan »

Well, in my mind Hellgate was pretty fantastic - even with the abysmal launch and unfortunate business decisions - so it'd be a positive if they WERE trying something along those lines.
Jafisob

Post by Jafisob »

DArtagnan wrote:Well, in my mind Hellgate was pretty fantastic - even with the abysmal launch and unfortunate business decisions - so it'd be a positive if they WERE trying something along those lines.
As long as they allow respecs, I'm in ............................ :wink:

....and don't make me map too many keys.
DArtagnan

Post by DArtagnan »

Jafisob wrote:
DArtagnan wrote:Well, in my mind Hellgate was pretty fantastic - even with the abysmal launch and unfortunate business decisions - so it'd be a positive if they WERE trying something along those lines.

Hehe, I'd loooong forgotten that debate - so thanks for reminding me ;)

Now that I'm thinking of Hellgate, i'm getting mighty pissed that there's no LAN play. I bought that sucker specifically because I wanted to co-op dammit!

The thought of playing it singleplayer makes me feel all lonely inside :cry:
Jafisob

Post by Jafisob »

DArtagnan wrote:
Jafisob wrote:

Hehe, I'd loooong forgotten that debate - so thanks for reminding me ;)

Now that I'm thinking of Hellgate, i'm getting mighty pissed that there's no LAN play. I bought that sucker specifically because I wanted to co-op dammit!

The thought of playing it singleplayer makes me feel all lonely inside :cry:
I think you may be confusing me with JafiBOB. He is the guy with strong opinions on that issue not me. :wink:

Warning Tangent: Is there anybody else who thinks a 10-20 buck HGL sold on steam and designed to be played co-op over steam would sell like hotcakes? I love killing zombies with buddies in L4D. It would be nice to kill demons with buddies in HGL. sniff sniff
DArtagnan

Post by DArtagnan »

I'd re-buy it for a chance to do co-op, but I'm afraid its reputation is tarnished beyond repair.

People HATED that game with a passion, mostly because of Roper and what he was perceived to stand for.

I never saw him as anything but a dedicated developer who got in over his head, and who wasn't suited for PR.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brian

Post by Brian »

Claptrap Webisode 1

Freaking hilarious.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Massena

Post by Massena »

Yeah, ok, that was pretty damn funny.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I love the smeared blood residue left on the camera from the lazy clean-up attempt.
When the sun goes out, we'll have eight minutes to live.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love Steve. Hope they keep Steve around for future eps.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Daehawk wrote:I love Steve. Hope they keep Steve around for future eps.
Hi-yo! :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Brian wrote:
Daehawk wrote:I love Steve. Hope they keep Steve around for future eps.
Hi-yo! :)
+1 :lol: