Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Max

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Arcanis

Re: Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Ma

Post by Arcanis »

Sudy Nym wrote:Has anyone else had huge performance issues in Knox with a current-gen AMD card? I've heard the game in general isn't AMD-friendly. But I'm getting <5 FPS in some of the zones sometimes. Eventually I tried lowering the resolution one level below native, and it alleviated the problem. But loading it up again now, the problem's back. I've verified the cache and defragged in Steam. My drivers are up to date.

Is there any way around all the driving in Knox? A mod or anything? Every time I restart I have to repeat 25 minutes of fights and driving to get back to my mission area. I really wanted to do the Knox and Claptrap DLC before the sequel comes out, but I don't see it happening at this point.
What version of Catalyst? I ran BL with all DLC and not a hitch with my system using a Radeon HD 6800 (don't recall if it is the 50 or 70).

No way around the driving. You get 1 point you can teleport to in the whole DLC. Though it shouldn't take more than 5-10 minutes to drive anywhere in it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm getting nailed by enemies on The Ridgeway. If I turtle I can probably get through without dying, but it takes forever. If I rush, I'm slaughtered repeatedly in the sections necessary to be taken on foot. I haven't been this frustrated with a game in ages.

I'll reinstall my drivers and try again.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Sudy Nym wrote:I'm getting nailed by enemies on The Ridgeway. If I turtle I can probably get through without dying, but it takes forever. If I rush, I'm slaughtered repeatedly in the sections necessary to be taken on foot. I haven't been this frustrated with a game in ages.

I'll reinstall my drivers and try again.
Ah you haven't gotten all the roadblocks down yet. Once they are down you can cruise through without issue.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Arcanis wrote: Ah you haven't gotten all the roadblocks down yet. Once they are down you can cruise through without issue.
Well, without too many issues. ;)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Unless I'm missing something, there's a huge chunk of The Ridgeway, on the way to the prison, that must be traversed on foot due to crates blocking off each end. I swear to Murphy I'm completing every quest beyond it the next time I load the game or else giving up.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy Nym wrote:Unless I'm missing something, there's a huge chunk of The Ridgeway, on the way to the prison, that must be traversed on foot due to crates blocking off each end. I swear to Murphy I'm completing every quest beyond it the next time I load the game or else giving up.
After you finish a certain quest (I forget each one), the road opens up. Crates move. Barriers go away.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The crates are there depending on which quest you're doing. On certain quests they are active, not on others.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Figured out my problem! Hardware AA was enabled. Apparently, Borderlands hates AA. Now it's smooth as butter.

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Went back to play Borderlands (1) at 1280x720 on my new Dell. Looks exactly the same as I tried it before? (And I did have it on better graphics settings... medium I think).

I'm on playthrough 2.5 and everything's scaled up to the max. Regular goons have THOUSANDS of hitpoints, and it took me half an hour to take down Mothrakk, really. Hide under the car spawn spot, pop out, shoot at it, hide. Repeat.

I died so many times in the "shock crystals" back in "Lost cave" that my maxed finances (9999999) went down to 4 mil due to all those respawns. I think I'll have to start over with a different character and see how that goes.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stessier

Post by stessier »

Decided I wanted some good ol' fashioned head shots and loaded this up over the weekend. I picked Mordecai who had apparently just completed the Vault opening. My task was to bring the key back to Tannis, but I couldn't remember where she was for the life of me (I know now Rust Commons). I started fast travelling and picked something that led to DLC that I've apparently acquired since I last played. I'm working my way through The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned. I've killed Pumpkinhead and just found Zed Ned. They are Level 57 missions and I started at 55 which made it slow going. I'm up to 56 now, though, and can one shot them if I can hit the heads. Very satisfying to take out a horde and only have to back up a bit while I reload.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Great game. I nearly fired it up myself recently.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yup, I was playing yet again back in July/August. The gameplay and visuals hold up really well.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
KDH

Post by KDH »

:mrgreen: If anybody failed to buy Borderlands-1 up to this point .. get it HERE for a buck
Ain't nobody got time for that
stessier

Post by stessier »

Max Peck wrote:Yup, I was playing yet again back in July/August. The gameplay and visuals hold up really well.
Oh yeah - when I first played I was using a computer from 2007 (I got the game in 2011). Now I can finally max out the graphics - it's soooooo much nicer! I need to play Borderlands 2 again on the High setting - that is probably a lot nicer too.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My Mordecai was a gunslinger. I think he had a couple of levels in other guns, but essentially everything went into pistols. As I recall, he had really solid ammo regen too. I couldn't use up my ammo. I focused on pistols with really fast fire rates. He could empty the clip in less than 2 seconds. And still couldn't run down his ammo. It was glorious.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

My first one was a sniper up until Zombie Isle, where I switched to pistols to be able to keep up with the larger hordes. My second one was straight up pistols all the way through.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

As I recall, the pistols usually came with scopes and had the same accuracy as the sniper rifles. So unless you had skills that used sniper rifles, the pistols were a better bet.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In BL1 you pretty much had to match your build to your weapon in order to be effective at all.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The first one had a weapon rating skill for each weapon type, that developed by using that weapon type. I.e. the more you use assault rifles, the better you were with them.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yep - my sniper rating is a 35 while my pistol rating is a 15. The difference between those levels is pretty amazing.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I once played a soldier that never used any other weapon except assault rifles. He had zero in everything but assault rifles. He was very, very good with assault rifles.

edit: It actually was a little difficult and required a fair bit of discipline, especially when a really great weapon other than assault rifles drops.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I still plan to do an Eridian weapons run one of these days. I've been hoarding all the ones I've found over all my playthroughs on one bank alt. If I ever have enough to support the entire run (and I'm probably close), I'll give it a whirl.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Heh... I had the same goal/dream. Pretty sure my Mordecai even had a couple levels in Eridian weapons.

Black Lives Matter

Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I've never played either Borderlands game. Now I have both of them thanks to Humble. Should I play 1 or just go straight to 2?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Play 1 then 2. Ive finished them both in coop mp. I have the third but tried to finish it alone and never did.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'd do at least one run through Borderlands to see the story before playing the sequel.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Daehawk wrote:Play 1 then 2. Ive finished them both in coop mp. I have the third but tried to finish it alone and never did.
I played and finished one solo. Couldn't get quite through the third. But the games are still a lot of fun. I might have to dust BL2 off and run through again sometime. I'll worry about the third down the line.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Madmarcus wrote:I've never played either Borderlands game. Now I have both of them thanks to Humble. Should I play 1 or just go straight to 2?
What they said.

Play one, then two.

I think a single playthrough, if you're taking your time and doing all the side quests, is around 30 hours. I'm sure that it can be speed run in some crazy low number though. Point being, you can pursue the main quest line to the exclusion of everything else and finish much faster if 25-30 hours is too much, but then you don't get to experience a lot of the humour and tone of the world.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

A lot of the fun in BL and BL2 is trying all the different playable characters to try different styles of play, and play with others. Playing solo is not always the fun, and playing in properly levelled groups drops a lot better gear, IIRC.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Kasey Chang wrote:play with others.
That's not going to happen. It might well be the best way to play but I have a hard enough time keeping up in asynchronous play by post/email. Scheduling time to play with someone isn't going to fly.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Madmarcus wrote:
That's not going to happen. It might well be the best way to play but I have a hard enough time keeping up in asynchronous play by post/email. Scheduling time to play with someone isn't going to fly.
The games are still very, very good solo. Of the 700+ hours Steam says I've put into the trilogy, I've played maybe a couple of hours of multiplayer.

KDH

Post by KDH »

Protip(s): ..

if the start-up animations (2k, nVidia, gearbox) bother you ...

go to your steam app,
find borderlands (as well as the other two)
right-click the name, select properties
select the GENERAL tab
click "Set Launch Options"

paste .. -nostartupmovies

or .. you could just change your ICON to point to the actual game executable, and not a Steam app ID

(you'll come in on the "ScaleForm" and then the "Save" indicator, "Click-to-Continue" ..screens)

@@@@@@@@@@@

The FOV for borderlands-1 is set to 70 .. and there is no way to change in options

THIS video will show you how to add key-binds to change the FOV to your liking

and, why key-binds? .. you ask .. the game will re-set to 70 whenever the wind blows (ie: every chance it gets)
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

Bindings=(Name="F9",Command="FOV 70",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F10",Command="FOV 85",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F11",Command="FOV 95.4370607151",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)
Bindings=(Name="F12",Command="FOV 101.409630521",Control=False,Shift=False,Alt=False)

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

KDH wrote:...

Protip(s): ..

if the start-up animations (2k, nVidia, gearbox) bother you ...

go to your steam app,
find borderlands (as well as the other two)
right-click the name, select properties
select the GENERAL tab
click "Set Launch Options"

paste .. -nostartupmovies

or .. you could just change your ICON to point to the actual game executable, and not a Steam app ID

(you'll come in on the "ScaleForm" and then the "Save" indicator, "Click-to-Continue" ..screens)

@@@@@@@@@@@

The FOV for borderlands-1 is set to 70 .. and there is no way to change in options

THIS video will show you how to add key-binds to change the FOV to your liking

and, why key-binds? .. you ask .. the game will re-set to 70 whenever the wind blows (ie: every chance it gets)
I'd suggest simplifying your life - download the Bordrlands Config Editor. I've been using it for years, and has a simple UI for setting the most common tweaks for FOV, toggling vs holding aim and crouch, disabling startup movies, turning off the built-in mouse smoothing, and several other things.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Madmarcus wrote:

I've only solo'd and have around 500 hours between the two games. I had a ton of fun. I really like head shots though. :)
KDH

Post by KDH »

Blackhawk wrote: I'd suggest simplifying your life - download the Bordrlands Config Editor. I've been using it for years, and has a simple UI for setting the most common tweaks for FOV, toggling vs holding aim and crouch, disabling startup movies, turning off the built-in mouse smoothing, and several other things.
Thank you .. I was hoping there was a better way :clap:

EDIT: ... The FOV section of the config-editor is ghosted .. any advice? .. the official Gearbox Forum thread is lost, dead, nada, zip
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Thanks all. I wasn't too worried about the solo play; I'd heard enough over the years that I figured it was fun. Multiplayer might be better but unless I suddenly change my habits it would just be a hassle for everyone involved.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Most of my hours in all 3 were solo play. The skill trees are lots of fun and you can make all sorts of character designs with them.

Solo also allows you to take your time and play at your own pace. 4 player is very fast and most things are already dead before you can snipe them, so sniper isn't a great character to play in multi, imo. Solo, it's a lot of fun.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

How much will ammo be limiting? I'm used to Fallout. The faster gunplay in Borderlands makes me worry that I'm going to run out of ammo. So far it hasn't happened but I'm also search obsessively for ammo. Can I dial back the OCD collecting or do I need it.

Also, do chest have completely random loot or is it based on location?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Madmarcus wrote:How much will ammo be limiting? I'm used to Fallout. The faster gunplay in Borderlands makes me worry that I'm going to run out of ammo. So far it hasn't happened but I'm also search obsessively for ammo. Can I dial back the OCD collecting or do I need it.

Also, do chest have completely random loot or is it based on location?
You can run out of ammo and ammo management is part of the game. Not sure what you mean about searching obsessively - you can't carry more than your max, so opening chests at that point doesn't buy you anything. The game tends to give you what you are low on (perhaps just a feeling and not reality), so saving chests for when you actually need something has always been a strategy that worked well for me.

And yeah, the chests are completely random. Can be loot or ammo. There are special chests - they are bigger and are red, green, or silver. These have weapons or mods and are always worth opening when you find them. There are also special mission based chests that will have better guns and mods. Usually. :)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

stessier wrote:The game tends to give you what you are low on (perhaps just a feeling and not reality)
I've noticed the same thing, especially with mob drops. Given the number of different ammo types, I consistently get drops that match my current weapon(s) too often to be entirely random.