Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Max

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Ma

Post by Isgrimnur »

Quickscoping bastards. :x
It's almost as if people are the problem.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I hate scopes on shotguns though. What a waste of "points".
miltonite

Post by miltonite »

GreenGoo wrote:I hate scopes on shotguns though. What a waste of "points".
Oh no you didn't!

Also, I am going to need at least 1 more week away from BL. I am still not feeling it.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

miltonite wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:I hate scopes on shotguns though. What a waste of "points".
Oh no you didn't!

Also, I am going to need at least 1 more week away from BL. I am still not feeling it.
Okey dokey. Thanks for the heads up. I'm bored with pretty much everything, so I'm ready when you guys are, but certainly not in a rush to get back at it.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Mordecai owned Old Haven and the Rakk Hive. Blew through both areas in under and hour with some side detours to turn in quests. It was fantastic to laugh when I saw the Lance show up rather than start back pedaling in fear. :twisted:

Next up are the side missions on the Trash Coast. I still have trouble with spiders, so it could still be quite a challenging little segment.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Go stess.

Lilith hit 45 last night. Just starting on New Haven quests.

Good grief, but Skagzilla was a looooong fight in Play 2. I was never in any danger, but I used up most of my ammo to take him down. My biggest problem was that Lillith's phasewalk shock damage did 0 damage to him. I'd come out of phasewalk to see dozens of blue 0s puring off him. :)

I'm also looking forward to the DLC. I accidently landed in one while fast travelling, so now I have a currently "Impossible" level quest in my journal. :)
If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumber'd here while these visions did appear
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You could have changed your shock crystal to something else. Not that that would have done you much good. He's highly resistant too most if not all elements, so the best you could hope for was 2's or 3's pouring off him instead of zeros.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

GreenGoo wrote: He's highly resistant too most if not all elements, so the best you could hope for was 2's or 3's pouring off him instead of zeros.

:lol:

The thought of those 2s and 3s pouring off, instead of 0s would have made me feel at least marginally more powerful against that big, 'ole doggy.

I've gotten so used to the shock damage that I don't always remember to switch off to other elements.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Qantaga wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: He's highly resistant too most if not all elements, so the best you could hope for was 2's or 3's pouring off him instead of zeros.

:lol:

The thought of those 2s and 3s pouring off, instead of 0s would have made me feel at least marginally more powerful against that big, 'ole doggy.

I've gotten so used to the shock damage that I don't always remember to switch off to other elements.
Yeah, Skagzilla was tough for Mordecai as well. Started trying to use the sniper rifle, but the fire damage didn't do anything and trying to get a crit shot just wasn't happening. Switched to a combat rifle and went through something like 1000 rounds to take him down....20-ish points at a time. :D

Now, though, I am the Angel of Death. I just went through the Back Door to reactivate the Echo System. Usually I have at least one Second Wind during that experience. This time the Lance was no match. At one point I took out 5 of them with 6 shots in rapid succession. It was glorious! :lol:

Now that I'm typing it - I just realized I never reactivated the Echo system. Just turned on the transmitters. :doh: :doh: :doh: At least I stopped right outside the front door - not much back tracking required.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

Mordecai just won Playthrough 2 at Level 54. That is a wee bit insane though. The boss is Level 56. It took me 30 minutes to plink away at him using my best weapons. I ran out of sniper rounds (~10,000/crit hit), went down to 100 combat rifle rounds which I saved for the arms (shot ~1000 @ 3200/crit hit), tried using The Dove for a while, but without a sight and poor accuracy it wasn't going anywhere fast, and ended up finishing him off with 900 rounds from my strongest SMG (2500/crit hit). Wish there would have been some way to know that was what I was in for. Had no trouble getting to that spot - annoying it took so long to finish him off.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Didn't I read that Skagzilla is most susceptible to explosive damage? I usually try to have something explosive equipped when I tackle him.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

stessier wrote:Mordecai just won Playthrough 2 at Level 54. That is a wee bit insane though. The boss is Level 56. It took me 30 minutes to plink away at him using my best weapons.

Congrats stess!

Lilith is just lvl 47, so she's got a ways to go to polish off Play 2.

I'm glad you're going to get to try the DLC now.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

TheMix wrote:Didn't I read that Skagzilla is most susceptible to explosive damage? I usually try to have something explosive equipped when I tackle him.

I'll have to remember that. Thanks.
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Oh, and I found it amusing that, when I logged yesterday, after selling off loot from the bottles of booze run for Crazy Earl, that I had exactly $9,999,999. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Qantaga wrote:Oh, and I found it amusing that, when I logged yesterday, after selling off loot from the bottles of booze run for Crazy Earl, that I had exactly $9,999,999. :)
You probably had over that. You just reached the limit of what can be displayed. At one point I had over 100,000,000, but it still only showed 9,999,999.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Qantaga

Post by Qantaga »

Blackhawk wrote:
Qantaga wrote:Oh, and I found it amusing that, when I logged yesterday, after selling off loot from the bottles of booze run for Crazy Earl, that I had exactly $9,999,999. :)
You probably had over that. You just reached the limit of what can be displayed. At one point I had over 100,000,000, but it still only showed 9,999,999.

Ah. It had been awhile since I had even checked my cash, so that makes more sense than me actually landing exactly on 9,999,999. :)
stessier

Post by stessier »

Qantaga wrote:Congrats stess!

Lilith is just lvl 47, so she's got a ways to go to polish off Play 2.

I'm glad you're going to get to try the DLC now.
You'd think, right? :)

I want to get Lilith and Roland through Play 2 first. Brick is not going to do it - I really didn't have fun playing with him. I'm not sure I'll take all three of Mordecai, Lilith and Roland through the DLC. I'm thinking just Roland, but we'll have to see. I'm up to 133 hours played. Lilith just made it to the Dahl Headlands. Battling with her is like dancing. I have power that lights me on fire when I kill someone, so after that first kill, I just dance through the mobs lighting them all up and just shooting a few bullets to finish them off. If things get hairy, I Phasewalk and explode going in and out - it's fantastic. :lol:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Finally finished out the first play through with a friend. Finished up around level 35. I ran a Brick while he went with Soldier.

For some reason it was anti-climatic. Piece-o-cake. Final boss was a joke. I think I took almost no damage. I didn't feel like I was doing that much damage, but the final boss dropped FAST.

Anyway, last night finally saw our first Eridian weapons. We got the cannon from that one boss near the end and one gun from a chest. I think they are ~28 level.

Isg, you still looking for Eridian weapons? (or do I have the wrong person?)

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Wrong person.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Isgrimnur wrote:Wrong person.
I'm good. But thanks for the thought!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Doh. :oops:

Guess I should have checked. Oh well.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote:Doh. :oops:

Guess I should have checked. Oh well.
Too late. Into the stocks with you. :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Damn! :cry:

:D

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I thought I'd give you guys right of first refusal.

I'm looking for a group to run through Diablo 3, starting at level 1 and only playing the character when the group is available to play.

Any interest?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I know I'm not part of the original group, but... :D

The friend, that I was playing through Borderlands with, and I have switched our Tuesday nights to D3 for the time being.

But I'd be interested in joining another group. If there is room (and depending on the night), my girl friend would likely be in as well.

However, I will defer to the original group.

Black Lives Matter

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Just throwing out some feelers. I don't even know if anyone is playing D3 or not.

If I recall we had one last big encounter to get through for us to have played *all* the borderlands content, including DLC. We sort of burned out and never went back to give it a shot. At least that's what it felt like.

We still did way, way more than I ever expected the group to do, so I consider it a success despite the occasional missed week or two.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My friend and I are about half/two thirds through the zombie DLC. That's the first one we tackled. I do want to get back to it, but right now we are running D3. I might have to move to a every other week kind of thing. Both good games, but D3 really doesn't scratch the Borderlands itch.

Black Lives Matter

miltonite

Post by miltonite »

I am not planning on getting D3.

I think out borderlands was an amazing success. The only thing we did not do was the final uber not part of the storyline boss. Crawmerax the invincible.
"Only in a geek forum could we talk about the camcorder's battery life ruining our suspension of disbelief, while totally accepting the gigantic impenetrable monster." -YK

"Isg, set research engines to ludicrous speed!!" -DD*
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just started on the Borderlands game. Nice that in the SP game you can just respawn and go back to get the boss, instead of having to do it in a single setting. :D

Found this MG that I can't use... unless I defeat the boss. Heh. Nice one though. Too bad there's no persistent stash to store the best weapons, heh? Found a yellow and a purple already. The rest are junk.

The vending machines are cute, but the SELL icons are just NOT obvious at all. Took me about 3 minutes of checking every section before I found the sell section (upper right).

FPS and Diablo in style of Mad Max, who'd thunk? :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'm starting over on the PC. I played through it a few times on the XBox though.
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Arcanis

Post by Arcanis »

Kasey Chang wrote:Just started on the Borderlands game. Nice that in the SP game you can just respawn and go back to get the boss, instead of having to do it in a single setting. :D

Found this MG that I can't use... unless I defeat the boss. Heh. Nice one though. Too bad there's no persistent stash to store the best weapons, heh? Found a yellow and a purple already. The rest are junk.

The vending machines are cute, but the SELL icons are just NOT obvious at all. Took me about 3 minutes of checking every section before I found the sell section (upper right).

FPS and Diablo in style of Mad Max, who'd thunk? :)
If you get the Moxxi's expansion there is a storage vault you can get there.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."--George Orwell
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I got the whole set, so I guess I'll have to activate them all. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: Found this MG that I can't use... unless I defeat the boss. Heh. Nice one though. Too bad there's no persistent stash to store the best weapons, heh? Found a yellow and a purple already. The rest are junk.
If you have the Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot expansion, you have a bank at the Underdome. You can visit it without actually starting the DLC. Just travel to Underdome and it will be right in front of you. You start the DLC by going downstairs and into one of the arenas down there.

/edit - scooped. Serves me right for not refreshing before replying.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A general hint: If you plan to play the campaign through twice (which I highly recommend), play it twice, then do the DLC. If you do it the obvious way (campaign 1, DLC, campaign, DLC), you'll end up outleveling the whole shebang.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Okay, one thing I *really* hate is the enemy respawning. I don't mind a little resapwning, but respawning right next to your base is ridiculous.

When you go into the Arid Wasteland you have to go through all these "fire skags", "alpha skags", plus the pups, whelps, and adults. It's no fun when I'm just trying to get the heck out of there! I already kill them once. Why do they respawn when I'm STILL ON THE SAME MAP? Sheesh!

I'm level 14 now, trying to find the mine key, and found the sniper rifle parts.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Ah, level 16. Got the mine key. The "boss" in that safehouse wasn't that hard, actually. I didn't even die ONCE (usually takes me about 3-5 times to kill the boss) But that could be because I have a level 15 shotgun, among other goodies I picked up

Which brings me to ANOTHER thing I *hate*... weapon pick ups. When you pick up something, you often end up replacing whatever it is in your hand. WHY?! Once I picked up a shotgun by accident, and I had a HARD TIME killing even one midget psycho. WTF?! Then I realized hey, this wasn't my super shotgun!

I got a sniper rifle with fire, and a purple SMG to complement the shotgun. I have three other weapons (rocket, MG, and revolver) as backup.

I think I'll go do some side missions (shock crystals and whatnot) before continuing. And I need some better guns. Level 7 guns aren't doing much on the nasty Skags. On the other hand, ONE SHOT can kill even an adult skag, if you get a critical hit with a sniper rifle.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

You are holding down the key to pick up objects too long. Just need to tap it... If you hold it down it picks up and equips
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote: I think I'll go do some side missions (shock crystals and whatnot) before continuing. And I need some better guns.
Hint: Use side missions to keep your levels up, but don't try to be a completionist. Trying to do every single quest can break the game's balance (and likely burn you out.) Do those that give useful rewards, and do some others if they sound fun or are getting overwhelmed on the main quest. If you find that your main quests are turning green or grey, skip a few side quests. There will always be more.

Another hint: A gun with X3 or X4 elemental damage is often more useful than a gun a dozen levels higher without the elemental damage. Fire is best by far, followed by acid. Electricity is great for enemies with shields, but fairly weak once the shields are down. Explosive is generally the weakest of the elements.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Kasey Chang wrote:Okay, one thing I *really* hate is the enemy respawning. I don't mind a little resapwning, but respawning right next to your base is ridiculous.

When you go into the Arid Wasteland you have to go through all these "fire skags", "alpha skags", plus the pups, whelps, and adults. It's no fun when I'm just trying to get the heck out of there! I already kill them once. Why do they respawn when I'm STILL ON THE SAME MAP? Sheesh!
Use the vehicles to drive over them. Generally you can avoid having to shoot most of the random groups. Just make sure you don't do too much damage to the cars. Killing the bigger mobs can often do significant damage to the vehicle. It will repair itself over time, but you have to give it that time.

Black Lives Matter

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Not all maps have vehicles, esp. the "sub-maps" like mines and whatnot.