Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Max

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kasey Chang

Re: Borderlands..FPS/RPG/4 player co-op..Diablo meets Mad Ma

Post by Kasey Chang »

IceBear wrote:You are holding down the key to pick up objects too long. Just need to tap it... If you hold it down it picks up and equips
Yeah, figured THAT out eventually. :D

I'm level 18 now, so the lesser missions are pretty easy except ammo problems, but that's why I have a variety of guns. Best sniper rifle so far: incendiary sniper. :) If I hit the head it's a one-shot kill. If I hit the body I set them on fire. :D I've even set two guys on fire with the same shot once. It worth like 3800, way more than all the other guns I got. Too bad it only has a 3 round mag.

Just beat Sledge and got his shotgun. Only two rounds in the mag, but tremendous damage... Hmmm...

I need a combat rifle... The ones I found are too weak, no scope, or magazine size too small. I'm using one that is worth 600 or so, way too wimpy for my level. I found one that's got a scope but only do 12 shots in one mag. Argh!

Can't find a good rocket launcher either. I'm dumping pistol and revolver. Not enough damage, though some of them are cool.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

One thing that you may not really be aware of yet... it's far better to focus on just one or two gun types. As you kill mobs with a specific gun type, you will level that type. Then you will do more damage, have better accuracy, and faster reloads. The more you spread out the weapon usage, the lower each one will be in level. Food for thought.

I didn't read back far enough to see which class you are playing, but there are often synergies with certain classes/builds and specific weapon types. Ammo can be a bit of nag early on, but eventually you will either find weapons with ammo regen or get a class mod with regen. I would suggest picking a main weapon and then sticking to it as much as possible with one backup. Obviously, if ammo is that much of a problem, carry a third for OH !@#$ times. And upgrade your ammo capacity for your specialized weapons as soon as you can.

Create other characters in order to enjoy the other types of weapons. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Even with ammo regen, it's a good idea to specialize in two different weapon types, that use different ammo types.

Also, rocket launchers, in my experience, are not worth the trouble. Lawbeef will tell you different, but I've tried to base entire characters around explosives and rocket launchers and I have not been pleased with the results. I should note that absolutely anything can work in the game, but some things work so much better than others. So you can do well with rocket launchers, but you won't be nearly as effective or efficient as other builds and weapon types.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, I'm thinking about dropping the rocket altogether. I'm pretty much specializing in shotgun and sniper, though I have backup SMG and combat rifle.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I have a Brick build going that focuses on Rockets. The toughest part is finding a good weapon. I've also been focusing on boosting explosive damage. At times he is definitely brutal. Groups of closely packed mobs are cannon fodder. I use one that shoots three loosely grouped rockets. The best part is I don't really need to aim. I just point roughly at their feet and let loose.

The downside is that it's really easy to blow through my ammo. I have points that boost my reload/fire rate when I kill, so I practically turn in to a rocket firing chain gun. :D

I can tell you that Brick's rocket ammo regen is crap. It's sllllloooooowwwwwwww.... I've been running with a friend on that character. He is a soldier. Plus he's running a group ammo regen mod in addition to his abilities. Otherwise I'd be useless for a lot of the fights.

I have a couple of other launchers that look good on the surface, but tend not to be that great. The ones that shoot three rockets in a spinning circle are hit or miss. Usually miss. Or only one will hit. Meh. I do like the fire ones that create little mini-nuke mushroom clouds though. Neat effect. Plus they do pretty decent fire/splash damage.

The worst part is it impacts your accuracy habits. :wink:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was using guns that were too weak, basically. I'm level 20 and you're right, level 15 quests are a breeze. Didn't even get dinged once. Finished both quests in 5 minutes.

I'm going to get out of Fyrestone, though I think I'll go blow up the mine for the heck of it. :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey, which character did you take? Each is intended for specific weapons. You can ignore it at the beginning, but later on the balance assumes you're working with a weapon your character was intended for.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Blackhawk wrote:Kasey, which character did you take? Each is intended for specific weapons. You can ignore it at the beginning, but later on the balance assumes you're working with a weapon your character was intended for.
I almost always take soldier / tank types. :) So yeah, Soldier. :) I'll have to check my proficiency rank, but they're kinda spread out, though more on combat rifle and shotgun, with some on sniper and SMG. I think combat rifle's on 7 and shotgun's on 5, SMG's on 3 and sniper's at 2.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Kasey, which character did you take? Each is intended for specific weapons. You can ignore it at the beginning, but later on the balance assumes you're working with a weapon your character was intended for.
I almost always take soldier / tank types. :) So yeah, Soldier. :) I'll have to check my proficiency rank, but they're kinda spread out, though more on combat rifle and shotgun, with some on sniper and SMG. I think combat rifle's on 7 and shotgun's on 5, SMG's on 3 and sniper's at 2.
Combat rifle and shotgun are for you. You can keep a sniper rifle around for super long range shots if you desperately need it, but 99% of the time you need to be using those two. You'll find you're better off with a scoped combat rifle for that when you find one.

Your talent trees boost combat rifles and shotguns. When you get a class mod, you'll get a significant boost to one or the other. When that stuff starts happening, using anything else will feel like using a weapon 20 levels too low. You'd might as well start focusing your techniques and proficiencies on them now.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm level 7 in shotgun and 5 in combat rifle. I have like 1-3 in the rest.

I picked up a scope rifle that does 77 damage per shot but it's a bit slow to kill the big guys like big psycho or bruiser. It only has 12 shots, even with the extra magazine size provided through the skills.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've finished the campaign twice as a soldier, both times focusing on combat rifles. As I recall, I had the best luck with high elemental, high rate of fire weapons. Aim for the head and watch the crits float up the screen.

Keep your eyes peeled for the class mod that gives ammo regen (or a gun with it), and keep it in your inventory. Swap it in when you are running low, then back out when you're full.

/edit - loaded it up, just to be sure. I carry a Rifleman class mod for fighting, and keep a Support Gunner class mod for regen.

Also check out the Config Editor if you haven't. That's a direct download link, the relevant thread is here. It lets you get rid of mouse smoothing, turn zoom into a toggle, change FOV and tweak a few other settings. The only thing that doesn't seem to work anymore for me is disabling intro videos.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, I'm lvl 21 support soldier now. Sledge's shotgun is just NOT worth the trouble. It fires two shots at once, but only two shots. So it's essentially a double-barrel shotgun. The reload delay is bad. I'm better off with my regular explosive shotgun (though when I see a better shotgun I'm dumping this one... ) At least that thing shoots 6 rounds before needing a reload.

Vehicular combat is pretty simple. I did the kill 8 runners mission without losing even one vehicle, though I use rockets, not HMG. Finished the plot missions in Dahl, doing the bounty board mission now.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Rockets are definitely the way to go on the vehicles, especially once you start dueling other drivers.

On class mods, note that about half are specifically designed for multiplayer co-op, and the other half for solo play. Choose the ones that enhance the skills you use. Note that the skill bonuses of class mods don't apply if you don't have at least one point in the relevant skill, but do increase as skill beyond the maximum level you can get by assigning points. Check here.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Just logged into Steam and noticed the pre-purchase page for Borderlands 2
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

As much as I love Borderlands (I've finished the main quest five times), and as much as I want more, I do remember how it was when it was released. I think I'll wait and see if it needs a patch or three before I spend.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I got a support gunner, a soldier, and a tactician class mod.

Fighting the spiderants are annoying, but great for experience. I'm up to 8 in shotgun and 7 in combat rifle.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Nothing easier than taking out spiderants with a shotgun or high rate of fire machine gun. Just remember that the trick is to shoot them in the ass. If they're charging, step to the side and spank 'em when they stop you, conveniently facing away. If they're small, jump over them and shoot them in the ass from above. Otherwise, just nail 'em in the head a couple of times until they turn sideways.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just hit level 10 in shotgun and level 9 in combat rifle. Barely touch the other weapons now (except rocket launcher and sniper, and only rarely).

I'm keeping a SMG around as it's a VERY good one (worth over 10000 credits).

The "find the repair kit" missions are getting extremely tedious as it's always hidden way on top and requires jumping puzzles.

Find the 4 parts of weapon mission are extremely boring as there is no guide to where the stuff are, it's just "around" here somewhere. You pretty much have to climb high and low to look for them. And the result is rather lame. I'm not going to bother with the SMG one.

And again, it's a PITA when the enemies respawn on the map you already cleared.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The "find the repair kit" missions are getting extremely tedious as it's always hidden way on top and requires jumping puzzles.
They're very much worth the time, though. Always watch for them. Also jump on any missions that give you an elemental artifact. The others are all skippable if you don't specifically need the item or to level up.

I skip the weapon scavenger missions, too. Only rarely do they give a worthwhile item.

Next hint: The best shields are those with an extremely fast recharge. They're much, much better than those with a ton of shield points. My personal favorites are panacea shields with a decently fast recharge.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm not criticizing Blackhawk's advice as it's good advice, but just know that not everyone is in complete agreement with how to approach the game, what works, or what's the most effective way to play. My own opinions diverge at times from what Blackhawk points out, and if it's of interest you can re-read the thread, as I've posted quite a lot of useful information, along with others (including Blackhawk).

That said, it's mostly a matter of differing opinions on certain nuances of the game, and following Blackhawk's advice will not cause you any issues. :) His advice on following up on repairing the robots is sound, for example.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, of course. I can't meaningfully express anyone's opinions but my own. ;)

Besides, I figured the shield comment would draw argument. I find that with a strong shield, I can stand in the firefight longer, but when it goes down, the enemies will get to you before it recharges. With a fast shield, you can take fewer hits, but ducking around a corner for a few seconds completely fills it up in time for the next wave.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Strangely, the shields I'm finding are often so good they got BOTH fast recharge and a ton of points (or I buy one off the Doc's vending machine)

Right now I have a shield that's 434 / 43 recharge AND resistant to fire. I also have a 212 / 22 + healing for the calm areas so I don't spend all the slots in my pack for heal kits. Before that I had a purple shield that 380/37 I think.

Thinking about the turret config for the soldier (i.e. skill points) and what artifacts to use. Right now I have lvl 1 shock, lvl 1 fire, and lvl 2 explosive. Not sure which one should I keep and which one should I actually use in the gun. I may have to re-align my skills. :) Though the current config means I NEVER have to buy ammo (except grenades) the regen is really cool. That class mod's handy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fire, acid, shock, explosive, in that order, usually gives the best results. You do, of course, have to figure in situation and relative artifact levels. When you start dealing with a certain Crimson group later on, for instance, switching to acid can save the day.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Blackhawk wrote: When you start dealing with a certain Crimson group later on, for instance, switching to acid can save the day.
Which, of course, does nothing against a certain, um, living impaired group in the DLC. :)
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Those you hit with fire. I know. :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kasey Chang wrote:Those you hit with fire. I know. :)
You would think. It's actually explosive you need to use.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Found a rifleman mod, which complements my combat rifle nicely, but I miss the ammo regen. I think I'll put the ammo regen back.

Found tactician mod to be MP friendly, not solo friendly.

Thsoe turrets are annoying. I either snipe them or if I'm in a runner, turbo right past them.

Just took out Krom, which not that hard if you have a good sniper rifle.

Shotgun's up to 11 and combat rifle up to 10. I think I'll go try the other weapons for a while. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just carry both mods. Fight with the rifleman, then swap to the support gunner if your ammo runs low.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Goofed up on the Old Haven mission, was wandering around town on what to do, killed the Crimson guys left and right but forgot to turn off those fires. :D Died many times, but gained so much EXP I think I gained like 2 levels (now 31) along with the missions.

What's that claptrap doing in that tower? I don't see a way to release him. I'll go check the wiki. :)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kasey Chang wrote:Goofed up on the Old Haven mission, was wandering around town on what to do, killed the Crimson guys left and right but forgot to turn off those fires. :D Died many times, but gained so much EXP I think I gained like 2 levels (now 31) along with the missions.

What's that claptrap doing in that tower? I don't see a way to release him. I'll go check the wiki. :)
It's a "return to Old Haven" mission. You'll get it later.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I hope this is worth the $7.49 I just paid for it at steam.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The crimson guys are getting kinda annoying. They have uncanny accuracy even with SMGs and pistols. And those shields really block a lot of fire. I've taken to shooting at their feet or head.

I am having problem finding a GOOD combat rifle. My scoped rifle only have 12 shots and low firing rate, but it reaches out quite far. I found a faster firing 24-shot rifle, but no scope, so I ended up using it much like a SMG... hose the target, and I can usually kill a crimson soldire at decent range with a FULL MAG, but get pounded in the meanwhile.

My SMG, which has a better value than ANY of my weapons (not even my 3x corrosive rocket launcher can beat it) has a 4x zoom AND good damage AND good magazine size. Makes me want to use it some more. :D

Can't find a way to use the rockets much, if at all, even the corrosive rocket(s). They don't seem to have much range and rarely hit anything worthwhile.

Thus, my combat load out, with 4 slots, is Combat Rifle, Shotgun, SMG, and sniper.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

dbt1949 wrote:I hope this is worth the $7.49 I just paid for it at steam.
:D

I'm thinking, yes.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:The crimson guys are getting kinda annoying. They have uncanny accuracy even with SMGs and pistols. And those shields really block a lot of fire. I've taken to shooting at their feet or head.
Acid, acid, acid. Get an acid weapon, equip your acid artifact, and find yourself an area of effect acid grenade. MIRV and Rain grenade mods are your friends.

When I got to Old Haven my first time, I could hardly move without dying. Very shortly afterwards I was going in there to farm loot (you can make a double crapload of money and get some great gear to keep in there.) Discovering the effects of acid against armor was a big part of that.

Also, by now you'll have another trick for gear hunting: Log in and travel from fast travel to fast travel. Many of the fast travel posts have vendor machines right next to them (don't forget Moxxie's.) Just hit each one, log out, and go again. Since the loot in the machines is randomly generated each time, it won't take you long to find a piece that suits your needs.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just finished the first playthrough. That final boss is big, but not that hard. :D

My "end MG" has fire damage AND a huge magazine. With the skills and class mods I have a 180 round magazine. :D I can fire that a VERY LONG TIME. :D

I have a Volcano sniper rifle and, a shotgun worth over 30000 (with zoom and all). I have a SMG that's worth about 22000 (zooms better than my sniper rifle, go figure). I have a rocket launcher on standby... 4x acid.

I'm just finishing up whatever quests I feel like doing.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Found 2 eridean weapons... a cannon, and a thunder thing, I think. :) Or was it lightning? Not that easy to use.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

There is one Eridian for each weapon type, but note that your regular proficiencies don't apply to them. The Eridian 'shotgun', for example, doesn't use the shotgun proficiency.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I think I'll use the Eridean weapons as a novelty only. The cannon seem to be only good for turret busting.

Somehow they are only worth 6000 or so. My regular weapons are 10000 to 30000!

Why would any one put a zoom scope on a shotgun? :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My regular end-game MG kills a Crimson trooper in about 10 shots (un-shielded). Engineers and shielded troopers takes a bit longer. Fire damage AND decent per shot damage plus huge magazine size makes for a killer combo. :D

I take out the Sera Guardians in 2 shots with my volcano sniper rifle. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Playing through the first DLC now. The Zombies are... interesting. I'm dealing with them with a fire-based SMG. I'm looking for a fire shotgun but haven't seen one that I like. I could use my fire Combat rifle but I'm already up to lvl 13 in that.