Important New EQ2 Changes

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Important New EQ2 Changes

Post by YellowKing »

For those keeping up with it, EQ2 is adding a bunch of customization options for characters, and they're redoing spell lists/names. This should address one of the biggest complaints of the game thus far - lack of customization and bland spell progression.

Read about it here:

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/ ... redir=true

A couple of more changes seem geared up that will address other complaints:

The patch notes talk about tickets you can buy now to voyage to zones by sea rather than using the Mariner Bell insta-port. Nice to have that option, going to test it out tonight to see what it's all about.

They've also added an audio option to only hear voiceovers once. This should eliminate the complaints about repetitive random VOs in cities.
Hetz

Post by Hetz »

That bell insta-transport thing is really dumb. If they don't change that and restore the old ways of travel, then I will never purchase this game. To not be able to travel takes a lot of the fun out of the game for me.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Ok got some more information from the boards and such that will probably change your mind, Hetz.

From what I can tell, the Mariner Bell travel in the cities only allows you to port to zones you would have otherwise been able to run to through the city. Let's use Freeport as an example. In Freeport there are two Mariner Bells. One allows travel to zones inside the city, the other allows travel to zones outside the city.

The zones I can port to inside the city (Scale Yard, Thieves Way, etc.) are all zones that I could run to using city gates, if I wished. The zones I can port to outside the city (Commonlands, Sunken City) are all zones I can run to, again, using city gates. All of these zones connect off Freeport in some way. It's the equivalent in EQ1 of having a bell in East Freeport that can port you to West Freeport, North Freeport, East Commons, or North Ro. All it does is save you from a short run through city zones. It does NOT allow instant travel to zones further than the ones right outside the city gates.

There aren't going to be any teleportation spells in the game at launch either - the developers have said players will have to discover alternate forms of transportation.

As far as boat rides go, apparently these won't be the boring static boat rides of EQ1. The developers have said we can look forward to encounters and changing weather and atmospheric effects.
The Mad Hatter

Post by The Mad Hatter »

You've done a good job of selling this game, YK. I was never a fan of the first EQ but I'm jonesing for a good MMOG. It's been years since I hunted the dewds of UO, and while nothing will compare with that I could use some kind of MMOG experience. Maybe this whole "working in a party" thing will grow on me, at least if they're not all semi-literate 12 year olds. Too much dewd talk and I'm longing to kill them all.
Coskesh

Post by Coskesh »

Just gotta find a nice group of people to play with. I met a couple guys outside of Destard in UO and asked them to help me kill some PKs that just jacked me. We've been friends and remained in contact for 6 years or so, playing UO, EQ, DAOC, etc. About 12-15 really cool folks, and without them, there is no way I could play a MMORPG.

Got a chance to meet a few of them in PA 2 weeks ago at a Ren Faire. Even better people in person.

Gonna be interesting since half of them want to play WoW and the other half EQ2. I think if EQ2 offered PvP at some point, it wouldn't be an issue. Too many of em got hooked on RvR in DAOC.

PS - YK, let me know what server you are planning ot play on (that goes for any of you exGGers). Would like to get my guild buddies on there so I can get a chance to play with some GG/OO folks. Don't worry YK, I dont' ride a donkey or live in a cave :lol: and I won't rub it in if Kerry wins.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I'm hoping this game will be fun. I played regular EQ for 4+ years til I burned out a year ago.

I'm also hoping this game will run decently on my getting older everyday machine.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Falcon554

Post by Falcon554 »

Im going to play and more I read more I get excited about it. Played WoW alpha and Beta and its a really good game but its a case of been there done that.
Scott
wire

Post by wire »

I have some friends trying to get me interested in EQ2 but having played EQ and not liking it I'm not sure if I should waste money on this one.

I played EQ for about 5 months and never got a character past level 12, which was about the point of extreme frustration for me and I'd create a new character...all told I think I got at least of the many combinations up to at least level 8 before deleting and making another.