C&C Renegade: this was actually a lot of fun!

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Kschang77

C&C Renegade: this was actually a lot of fun!

Post by Kschang77 »

Did this game came out too early or something? This is one of the better FPS's I've seen, with often allied units that fights beside you, lots of elevators and structures to hide in, structures to defend / attack, all sorts of weapons, multiplayer AND a VERY long single-player campaign along with a ton of objectives (primary, secondary, AND tertiary), and the novelty of being C&C (you get to meet all the units up-close-and-personal, as well as drive a few.)

So why didn't this thing sell? I still see them on shelves occasionally (just bought mine for 6.97 in Target clearance).

I also saw a RenAlert Mod which turns everything into RedAlert buildings...
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Looking back and seeing it amongst the games that came out 'back then' takes a bit of the perspective of the time out of it. When it was released, the graphics and AI were noticably behind the times, and it had a ton of bugs on release. That isn't as appparent when you look back now, especially post-patch, but at the time, it stuck out like a sore thumb and really turned some people off.

I was really, really looking forward to Renegade at one point. I even went to Westwood's launch party along with Zaxxon and Rich. It just didn't match up with its promises.

Now that time has passed, expectations are different, and 'old graphics' doesn't have the distinction it did then, I may give it another run-through. Where did you see the Red Alert mod, by the way?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kschang77

I saw it mentioned on the Gamefaqs.com forum for Renegade...

Post by Kschang77 »

Don't have details, but I'd imagine it can't be hard to find.

Just finished the game on "easy" single-player. That final boss turned out not to be that nasty. The improved Raveshaw is tougher, IMHO.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

I was a big fan of the multiplayer component, but then came Natural Selection.

I think of someone was smart, they'd make a mode that replicate's Renegade's multiplayer mode.
Odin

Post by Odin »

Here's the review I wrote for the TV show I used to co-host. It sums up my feelings about this game pretty well:

Game Review: Command & Conquer: Renegade
3/5/01

Command & Conquer: Renegade has its roots steeped in an extremely popular series of strategy games. What sets Renegade apart is that it puts you inside a game world that you usually control from a bird’s eye view. Clearly aimed at die-hard Command & Conquer players, the game features buildings, vehicles, and characters that will be instantly familiar to fans of that series. In fact, the game’s designers deliberately made the graphics friendly to low-end video cards so that their loyal fans wouldn’t be excluded from playing the game. What it lacks in visual appeal, it makes up for by making you feel like you’re a top-notch commando fighting against the evil Brotherhood of Nod.

The game’s high points include a well-balanced mix of weapons and enemies to use them on. Certain enemies are immune to certain weapons, so there’s some strategy involved. The game also does a good job of making you feel at times like you’re one unit in a real-time strategy game, with various air units flying by overhead and battles going on at the periphery of your mission.

The game’s most notable trick, though, is its use of vehicles from humvees to massive double-barreled tanks. In several missions you use these vehicles to offensive and defensive advantage and they’re great fun. The game also adds its own flavor to multiplayer, as you accumulate points for successful play and those points can be used to upgrade your character or buy vehicles.

Sadly, some of the missions are redundant and the enemies aren’t very smart or interesting. There are some problems with “clipping” where objects poke through walls or characters float across the ground instead of running. The enemies also violate one of my cardinal rules of game design, as they sometimes magically appear right in front of you for no good reason.

If you’re a fan of the Command and Conquer series and enjoy first-person-shooters, then this game was made for you. Enjoy! Otherwise, you may find more satisfaction in a game like Return to Castle Wolfenstein or Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. C&C: Renegade is a good game and rates a 6.

Stats
Name C&C: Renegade
Genre Action (First-Person Shooter)
Gameplay 6
Graphics 5
Sound 5.5
Innovation 7.5
Final Score 6 (Good)
Homepage http://westwood.ea.com/games/ccuniverse/renegade
Patch? Y
ESRB Teen
Price $45