Port Royale 2 problems

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Peacedog

Port Royale 2 problems

Post by Peacedog »

Ascaron is really trying to get on my shit list (in fact I, I think I'll rectify that shortly). I had plenty of trouble with Sacred, and now this. . .

I purchased Port Royale 2 earlier. Firstly, I wanted to uninstall the demo, but it doesn't exist in my add/remove programs list. That's right. So I went looking for a manual uninstaller - nada. I guess I'll just rip it out the old fashion way, but that doesn't take care of the registry entries.

Nice design.

Anyway, So I went to install the full version (but not on top of the demo, separate directory), and the game installed without incident.

On trying to run it, I get the "Checking current CD-Rom" dialogue box. It's currently been running for about 4-5 minutes, with no success. This is my fourth attempt to start the game.

I'm reading the official forums but not finding much help. I don not have a game with starforce installed (it would be news to me if I did, perhaps it got installed in a game demo? Though that would be odd, to say the least), and one thread on the official boards listed some other programs that could be causing trouble that I don't have.

This is seriously ticking me off. Anybody have any suggestions?
rrmorton

Post by rrmorton »

What a pain in the arse.

A NO-CD crack would solve this problem I'm sure. The cd check takes about a minute on my system which is way too long. I've been monitoring GCW for an English version NOCD crack but so far all they've posted is the German version. There's a 4-page thread about it at fileforums where they say it's possible to apply a patch and then the German version NO-CD will work for English users. I've been patiently waiting for the English version crack (I have no clue why it's taking so long) and dealing with the mega-long CD check. Maybe the German work around is worth a try since you can't even get it running at this point.

Also, if you have more than one drive, maybe you could try un- and then re-installing from a different drive to see if that does anything.
Peacedog

Post by Peacedog »

It really bums me out, because I was having a blast with the demo. I know Pirates is right around the corner, but you can't let a good strategy title like this by (especially at $30).

I have a second drive, but it's not running windows right now. I'm going to go post my direct dialogue stuff in the ascaron forums.
Gorath

Post by Gorath »

Two things which are confirmed to help with Sacred´s and / or PR2´s CP problems in more than a handful cases:

1. kill all Starforce drivers. AFAIR this was suggested by an official after some users couldn´t run both X² and one of the games above. Don´t remember which one, though.

2. Install the latest (rather old) ASPI driver from the Adaptec site. Set a system restore point, just in case it´s not your lucky day.

Also worth a try is disableing DMA mode for your CD-ROM.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Megagames has a No-CD that says Eng/Ger.

Ale