Best horror game evar not only on schedule...

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

triggercut

Best horror game evar not only on schedule...

Post by triggercut »

...but actually *moved up a week*!

Nice.

I'm talking about Fatal Frame 2, "The Director's Cut", which will be an Xbox revamp of the same game released a year ago on the PS2.

I was originally kind of worried about this. Last year the Xbox version of the original Fatal Frame was scheduled for release Halloween week, but then didn't come out until right before Thanksgiving. The PS2 release of FF2 was supposed to be out right on Halloween...but got pushed back to December, right before Christmas. Those both seemed like lost opportunities for a game/series that deserves more fans. Note to Tecmo: we Americans look for scary games/books/movies/what-have-you around Halloween.

So, anyway, the release of FF2:TDC was scheduled for 10/26. EB just moved it up to 10/20. Color me delighted.
CharlieDelta

Post by CharlieDelta »

Awesome news. FF1 was always on my list of titles to buy, but always got bumped by something newer or flashier. I wonder what the chances are of me getting FF1 and 2 at the same time. It's about time I played these. :P
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

CharlieDelta wrote:Awesome news. FF1 was always on my list of titles to buy, but always got bumped by something newer or flashier. I wonder what the chances are of me getting FF1 and 2 at the same time. It's about time I played these. :P
Just as an FYI, there's no need to play one before the other.

Totally independent stories, totally different settings. The second game is actually much better control-wise, and doesn't have built in console-ish frustrations. To wit: in game one, the save game spots are spread out a bit too much, and the camera film (ammo, if you will) and healing medicines are a little too scarce. It causes more frustration than strategic choice.

The second game has ample save points all over the place. It isn't necessarily "save anywhere" but it's so close to it that you won't care. And the film and medicine is in good enough supply to make your decisions on using them strategic, rather than frustrating.

Both games are great...but at this point I'd wait for FF2. I think it's clearly the better of the two games, and one of the top 3 horror games ever released on any platform (GK2 and System Shock 2 being 1 and 2, with the first Silent Hill being fourth.)
Break

Post by Break »

just wondering, what are they putting in the XBOX version?

I don't own an xbox, but I have played the ps2 version, and am just wondering.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

Break wrote:just wondering, what are they putting in the XBOX version?

I don't own an xbox, but I have played the ps2 version, and am just wondering.
The biggest addition is the ability to play in first-person mode, if that's your thing. The graphics have been redone and enhanced for the Xbox--apparently the lighting and shading is as good as it gets for a console here. They also redid many of the ghostly encounters, so the game won't play exactly the same as it did for the PS2 version. There's also a second ending to the game now.

They also added an ironman mode, and some silliness with costuming and whatnot.

Bottom line: if you've already played it on the PS2, there may not be enough to get you to take a look at the Xbox version--at least until you can find a copy used at half-price.

I'm such a giddy fanboi of this series that I'll be picking it up on release day though. I can't wait!
Rich

Post by Rich »

I am a bit behind the times and am now playing the PS2 version. I am into the beginning of chap. 5 and have to add that this is a great spooky game. Ranks up there with some of my fave PC scary games (SS2 and Undying)
JayG

Post by JayG »

I don't what it is, but I just can't play First Person on XBox. If I'm ever given the choice, I always go third person. The game sounds great. The last game that actually scared me was System Shock 2, but that was because all the guns were made from soap.
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

JayG wrote:I don't what it is, but I just can't play First Person on XBox. If I'm ever given the choice, I always go third person. The game sounds great. The last game that actually scared me was System Shock 2, but that was because all the guns were made from soap.
Both the 3rd-person original mode and the new FPS mode will be available in the Xbox version.

Word is that FF3 has been greenlighted and is in development. Also, Imagine Entertainment and Dreamworks own the rights to make an FF movie, and are said to be looking at scripts.
JR

Post by JR »

First post!

Anyway, I never got around to getting FF1, but all this talk made me pick up a XBox copy on ebay yesterday. Can anyone comment on how it compares to Eternal Darkness?
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

I have been wanting to try a survival horror game. Would FF2 be a good one to start with, or are there some older/bargain hidden gems I should track down?

My main factors would be good controls, a nonfrustrating save system, and not-too-limited health/ammo. So FF2 looks pretty good from the notes above. I have an XBox and a PC, but would probably prefer to play on the XBox/TV for this sort of game.

(Oops, I just remembered that I actually have Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare and RE: Code Veronica for my Dreamcast, but I have not really played them beyond the first few scenes. They looked pretty cool but I just got distracted by other things. As much as I like the DC, I have abandoned it for my XBox and plan to get rid of my DC stuff in the near future.)
triggercut

Post by triggercut »

First off, comparing FF1 to ED:

Totally different games, really. Except...

...you know how you're in the main house in ED, and that cool lighting is coming in through the drapes, and it's really, really creepy? That's FF1, all the way through. FF1 can be tough, though. You really have to watch your herbal medicine and holy water (your healing pots, basically) and your camera film. The Xbox version is still a fine game, but it has some really frustrating bits as you get the camera attack interface down.

Freezer, I'm sure there are plenty of hidden gems that folks will mention for your survival horror wants. Give 'em a shot.

But...FF2 is a fine place to start. For one thing, the game has a very forgiving learning curve. For another thing, it does so many things right that so many other games do wrong. The guys who do the FF series seem to really ruminate on why we get scared, and what it is that causes that. Too many times in survival horror games, zombies jumping out at you from closets pass for "scary". I call that "startling". "Startling" is fine for what it is, but if that's all a game can muster, it sort of sucks. The Fatal Frame series seems to have been designed by folks who think "what would be really scary here?" and then they set it all up.

FF2 has much more forgiving controls than it's predecessor, a terrific story, decent voice acting, and perfectly good graphics. It's one of the few games where you have to stop playing for a while just to get your wits about you again.
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Very cool, I am liking the sound of FF2. I wonder who might end up having a good deal on it instore, will have to hunt around. (Ebgames.com is offering a $10 gift voucher with purchase.)
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I would just like to add that I agree with almost everything that Triggy said. Both FF1 and FF2 are great games and if you have money to burn picking up both is well worth it. I played FF2 before I played the first one and still loved it to death. (pun intended)

The feeling of tension when you play these games is just unbeliveable I would have to take breaks after playing for a while because I would just feel drained out. It's really a hard feeling to describe but I think these games rank up with some of the most original and fun games I have ever played. Ya I think there that good!!! :D

I almost wish I didn't pick up the ps2 version of ff2 as it makes it hard for me to justify picking up the xbox version. The first person mode sounds really neat I'd love to hear some impressions of how that works out when the game is released.

So in short pick up FF1 it's like 20 bucks even less if you find it used! And then pick up FF2 when it comes out. You couldn't possible not like these games if you like the horror genre. Damn I want to go home and play it now!!!
Freezer-TPF-

Post by Freezer-TPF- »

Hmmm, EBgames.com now reporting the FF2 ship date as 10/26. That deserves an evil cat turning around to show its butt. :twisted::idea: