STALKER: Clear Sky - Found at Walm--Edit: Gamestop today.

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Sponge

Re: STALKER: Clear Sky - Found at Walm--Edit: Gamestop today.

Post by Sponge »

Effidian wrote:
Sponge wrote:Bottom line, if you did play the original and enjoyed it, there should be nothing stopping you from getting this ASAP.
I played the original and enjoyed it, but cannot get into Clear Sky. I made it to the second area, and for some reason I'm finding it hard to keep playing.

Might just be me though...
The 2nd area is probably the least enjoyable. Might want to push on a bit farther before giving up entirely.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

One new feature, that I am not enjoying, is enemies throwing grenades. If the computer enemies shooting me through bushes was not annoying enough, the heat seeking grenades that always land at my feet make me angry. I have been killed by a grenade thrown over a building, over a wall and while I was on top of a large rock.
Sponge

Post by Sponge »

Beer Goggles wrote:One new feature, that I am not enjoying, is enemies throwing grenades. If the computer enemies shooting me through bushes was not annoying enough, the heat seeking grenades that always land at my feet make me angry. I have been killed by a grenade thrown over a building, over a wall and while I was on top of a large rock.
I believe I saw a mod that "fixes" that when looking through the forums a few days ago. I'll see if I can find it again.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yeah, any time you want AI enemies to use deadly or just special stuff like secondary fire modes in some games or grenades, you have to take care to inform the player as to what the AI is about to do. Not only does it tell the player that he needs to adjust his tactics before the problem lands at his feet (literally), but it also tells players, "Hey look at me! I'm about to do something cool!" so they can appreciate some good AI.
Beer Goggles

Post by Beer Goggles »

I gave up on the very last level trying to shot Strelok and I just watched the end movie on YouTube. Like SoC, I hated the last levels of Clear Sky while loving the game, even with all it's faults, up to that point.
Hispanicgamer

Post by Hispanicgamer »

Effidian wrote:
Sponge wrote:Bottom line, if you did play the original and enjoyed it, there should be nothing stopping you from getting this ASAP.
I played the original and enjoyed it, but cannot get into Clear Sky. I made it to the second area, and for some reason I'm finding it hard to keep playing.

Might just be me though...
I enjoyed the original once I got towards the end. I had actually stopped playing at the games midpoint and didn't come back to it until 2 months later and proceeded to enjoy the hell out of it. For me, the beginning was difficult to get into and some of the info on the PDA and side missions had me frustrated. Finally, I said screw it and went after the sarcophagus. It pissed me off that I never found the special armor or the "Family Rifle" and such. At the end I had no first aid and damn near no bullets. I had to run and gun and hit quick save every two minutes. :) I plan on returning to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and concentrate on the side missions to build my prestige to get to see final true ending. I pre-purchased Far Cry 2 and will wait to buy Clear Skies.
Now Playing:
MoH, Amnesia, Self
"Work to Live, Live to Play"
Normann

Post by Normann »

Any comments on the current status of the game after the latest patch? v1.508 I think. Single Player is what I am after. I had to stop playing the game due to main quest bugs. How is it now?
Trappin

Post by Trappin »

This isn't a CS patch but it looks very interesting. Free fully reworked alpha version of what looks like SoC and CS.

Lost Alpha
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl mod | Coming Q4 2009

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha#comments
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

Arise thread! just loaded this up. Game looks great in Dx 10 and is running maxed @1080 on my 8800GT. Has the same atmosphere and set up that I really enjoyed in the first one. Still trying to get used to the faction stuff and some of the side missions seem to come and go in the blink of an eye. Other than that even though I'm still just in the first area, I'm enjoying it.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I decided to hit up the original game again. I just downloaded the complete mod last night and WOW the game looks amazing now. The sky is downright photo realistic now and it seems to run fine. It adds a bunch of little things without really changing the core game which I like.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Octavious230 wrote:I decided to hit up the original game again. I just downloaded the complete mod last night and WOW the game looks amazing now. The sky is downright photo realistic now and it seems to run fine. It adds a bunch of little things without really changing the core game which I like.
I did the exact same thing last night (and with the same reaction). The OO effect must be especially strong right now.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

AWS260 wrote:
Octavious230 wrote:I decided to hit up the original game again. I just downloaded the complete mod last night and WOW the game looks amazing now. The sky is downright photo realistic now and it seems to run fine. It adds a bunch of little things without really changing the core game which I like.
I did the exact same thing last night (and with the same reaction). The OO effect must be especially strong right now.
Been wanting to reinstall STALKER on my new rig. I made alot of progress the last time I played it but my machine was taking a performance hit on a couple of levels and never got back to the game. But after reading about the Complete 2009 mod I'm going to reinstall this tonight!
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Greg Wak

Post by Greg Wak »

This is turning out to be a tad disapointing. Too much focus on gunplay and not enough on spooky exploration. Too much dying and reloading for me. But I don't hate it, and will still plod on to the end despite reading elsewhere the ending is confusing and doesn't explain or resolve much of anything.
Daehawk

Re: STALKER: Clear Sky - Found at Walm--Edit: Gamestop today

Post by Daehawk »

I 'think' this is the only Stalker game I haven't finished yet. I wasn't sure so watched a video on the ending and it doesn't look like one ive seen before. Its not been all that long since I finished up CoP. Whats strange is the time played on CoP which seemed to take me forever to complete was 109 hours. The time showing as played for CS is 112 hours so not sure whats going on there. Either thats a cumulative time from my different tries at it or I was very close that last time to being done and didn't know it.

If I do get back to it sometime I plan to use THIS MOD again. So pretty.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok Ive restarted in Clear Skies. I dont know why I didn't start a thread back the first time I tried it.

Ive finished both the other Stalker games. This is my second go at CS. Ive installed the Complete mod....really makes the game beautiful. I hope its the Complete mod that makes the emissions way cool to look at and totally deadly. Thats one of the big draws of the series for me...trying to find that cover and worrying about them.

So back to the swamp with me!!!!!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good God! This game is made to kill you. Im on regular stalker difficulty and am dying left and right. If its not a bullet its radiation. And Im not sure if its just me as Ive forgotten how to play or if this game doesn't warn you the same as the others with radiation....I just dont notice and fall dead. And unless I aim for the head my guns seem weak.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

All three are brutal at the beginning.

I don't recall how it warns you about radiation, but I don't think it's that different from the other games. Maybe you need a geiger counter? If those are a thing. I don't recall it ever being "in your face" about the radiation. I learned quickly to avoid metal Especially rusted vehicles on the roads. The metal objects always give off a lot more radiation.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I seem to have that same old Stalker bug Ive had with all 3 games....lack of campfire flames. Theres just not a texture showing. I see the heat waves coming off the fires and can hear the popping and crackling of them but no flame graphics. Been that way in all 3 games. I know its a bug cause the rest of it is there and if I zone into a spot with a campfire or die and respawn at one then I see the flames for a second then they disappear.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also this is the only game of the 3 where the NPCs annoy the hell out of me while Im trading with them. they seem to not notice the trade window is open and stand there as if Im just standing in front of them ..."come on".."Dont just stand there" "Hurry up" and such over and over and over the entire time Im in trade with them. Makes me want to shoot them to shut them up.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Question about the secret tunnel in the swamps....
Spoiler:
In the NW corner there is a tunnel beside the wrecked train. Its supposed to have a nice detector in it and an artifact. Ive read it on multiple sites plus I have gotten them there before. I dont think its the mod Complete removing them because I was using it last time I played. unless its changed. Maybe its a bug. Then again is there some side quest I need to have for that place to be able to get those 2 items to be spawned there?
I say tunnel but you could describe it as a small cave.

EDIT: NM...had to watch a video to see how to do it. My old detector wouldn't see the artifact in there and I had to lean and find that other better one in there. Once I had it it detected the artifact. Man I can only image how many people never find that.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Man, sometimes I just dont get this game. The difficulty is stupid at times. Ive set it to stalker which is the normal one and yet 4 shogun blasts point blank and they laugh at me ...sometimes. Its not consistent. Ive considered upping the difficulty because it says with CS if you up it then it takes less bullets to kill stuff and vice versa....more realistic. Not sure.

Take now. I go to clear bandits out. They have no armor I can see...if so the crap kind Im guessing. They're bandits after all. My AK74 seems to do nothing but get me killed. I switch to my shotgun and it takes 4 or 5 point blank shots to kill each guy. Doesn't matter if I aim at their chest or their face.

Then I go to clear out some military. They are tougher usually by far. Shotgun does nothing at all. AK74 to the body doesn't do a lot as it takes over a full mag to kill one. BUT if I aim for their head then they insta die. WTF!?

I die to 2 hits of a shotgun from a mile away or anything up close. The game just isn't making much sense. But if it stays this way maybe Ill learn the way to kill each type sooner or later.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Yeah, STALKER is pretty much all about headshots. After the starting areas, every Yuri, Gary and Ivan is wearing an exosuit, so you either ping them in the head or... that's about it. Otherwise, it just takes too damn long. If you watch two factions fight out, it's like watching two sets of statues fling pebbles at each other.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Been away nearly a year. Come back and remember why I left...bugs.

I start it up and it says an emission is coming .So I hole up and wait until it passes. Then I go out and zone to the next area looking for a guide to take me some place. As I get to the camp it says emission incoming again. I go hide and it seems to pass. i come out to a beautiful day..no wind no storm nothing. The other stalkers are all walking around their camp and sitting at the fire. But it keeps saying emission go hide. After 2 or 3 min I am wondering whats wrong and look at my map. Im not in that map 5 SECONDS when I close it and instantly Im in the middle of the emission and dead.

STUPID DAMN GAMES THESE DAYS.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That... doesn't actually sound like a bug.

Of course, I'm always hunkered down in the deepest cover I can find as soon as the warning comes in, so I really have no idea how quickly the transition from a clear sky to full-on emission normally is, and I don't come out until they send the all clear. One of the first things I learned is that an impatient STALKER is soon to be a dead STALKER. :P
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not going to bother with spoilers for this old game.

Ok I just now finished the game. that last ending area took many many reloads. You're supposed to shoot Strelok a lot but after he teleports from that first area I could never find him again until the very last area where he is already climbing the final stairs. Kept both dying there and not shooting him enough. Finally got him.

Strange way to end a game though. It shows me a strange ass cutscene then dumps me back into the game at the power station. i have no quests left or anywhere to go. You'd think it would roll credits but nope. I guess thats the end though since I did the end stuff. Shrug. Delete time.

Overall I had a lot of fun as it IS a Stalker game after all :) But it was the same map as this other games so that part kinda sucked. Almost skipped playing it.